Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Alright boys its sunday lets catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
There's only one thing left for us to deal with... Sorry, dad.

We're not actually done quite yet. There are a few more things to clean up and show off, which we'll see next week!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how Ford's manipulation Raz's dad's memories came undone. Otherwise that was one heck of a fight. Also, over 30 minutes of credits?!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And so, Lucy has come to accept her past and thus retaken control from Maligula. I do like Oleander’s mini rant and realization of “I have no leg to stand on, do I?” at the end as well as Hollis’s speech.

So I hinted at this earlier but it is implied that Augustus, and by extension Raz and Frazie, inherited their psychic powers from the Galochio family through late grandma Marona. What we don’t know however is if Marona had active psychic powers like her sister or if her powers were dormant and only awakened in her son.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh huh, so the interns sure did...appear? :geno: tbh I totally forgot about them lol

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Xun posted:

Oh huh, so the interns sure did...appear? :geno: tbh I totally forgot about them lol

Yeah, that's a legitimate critique - which is also a shame, 'cause they could have been more in depth characters, but as it happens they're all very... Incidental.

Except Sam, of course.

Sam being the best.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Xun posted:

If I had to choose one thing to ding this game on, it would be pacing and overworld. DF has a sense of style, can craft individual experiences, and knows characterization. However, while the story does have an overall narrative, the way some elements are tied together gets awkward, and the overworld's pacing can feel strange. We're not left with a group of characters long enough to form the same kind of attachments, and at some point the dialogue stops evolving.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 20, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It is unfortunate that apart from Norma, we really don't see much development from the interns not helped by the fact that by necessity we have to spend half the game in the Green Needles Gulch.

I can only assume that DF's justification for this was that unlike the camp kids aside from possibly Dogen and Bobby, Raz is going to be working alongside his fellow Junior Psychonauts going forward meaning this won't be the last time we see any of them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

In a way, it's sort of like a new generation of the Psychic Seven in the making.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

And so, Lucy has come to accept her past and thus retaken control from Maligula. I do like Oleander’s mini rant and realization of “I have no leg to stand on, do I?” at the end as well as Hollis’s speech.

So I hinted at this earlier but it is implied that Augustus, and by extension Raz and Frazie, inherited their psychic powers from the Galochio family through late grandma Marona. What we don’t know however is if Marona had active psychic powers like her sister or if her powers were dormant and only awakened in her son.

She did ACTUALLY commit war crimes and kill thousands of people. He only thought about doing so, and got ready to do so! So, he does have quite a lot more merit to calling for her punishment. Statute of limitations, I guess?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

In a way, it's sort of like a new generation of the Psychic Seven in the making.

Now that could've been a story! It's not the one we got, but the last boss fight has parallels:

Bob Zanotto used vines against Maligula. Adam used yoyos.
Otto had the Hyper-glaciator, Lizzie had her ice.
Compton had animals, and so does his granddaughter Sam.
Helmut had an impassioned speech to uplift everyone and affect Maligula, while Gisu had her levitation to lift Maligula upward.
Ford used psychic powers against Maligula directly. Norma's fire is a direct attack.
Cassie had a motivational speech and channels her inner voices. Morris channels outer voices and levitates Raz to safety.

And Raz? Raz is family, Lucrecia's opposite.

It is a stretch, but some parallels may be intentional. We are living the new age of the Psychonauts.

Chronische posted:

She did ACTUALLY commit war crimes and kill thousands of people. He only thought about doing so, and got ready to do so! So, he does have quite a lot more merit to calling for her punishment. Statute of limitations, I guess?

I wonder how much it is that is you look too closely, you'd have to deal with the entire Psychic Seven for hugely unethical mind exploration. That's a can of worms (and paperwork) neither Truman nor Hollis feel like dealing with.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Anaxite posted:

I wonder how much it is that is you look too closely, you'd have to deal with the entire Psychic Seven for hugely unethical mind exploration. That's a can of worms (and paperwork) neither Truman nor Hollis feel like dealing with.

Unethical but not illegal, and none of the others turned into mass-murderers! Nothing to prosecute there, I'd wager, and likely thoroughly investigated and shut down in the decades since. Otherwise, why would they have abandoned the perfectly good location? 'Bad memories' is not a bureaucratically justifiable reason after all, even for psychics I imagine. Though it speaks volumes that a little boy was able to help treat trauma that nobody else could for that whole time among the entire Psychic Seven - maybe the other Psychonauts are all just incompetent jerks? In which case the other interns fit right in.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Sounds like corporate America.

That Loboto office construct was real prophetic.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Chronische posted:

Raz and Cruller sabotaged Oleander‘s efforts at exactly the most critical juncture thereby preventing this which is why him expressing annoyance at how easily she was forgiven was met with Milla and especially Hollis both give him a look that reads “Shut up Morry” to remind him that while he was forgiven, his actions in the first game were certainly not forgotten.

I also get the feeling that no one outside the Psychic Seven even knew that Lucy was even a member let alone that she was Maligula since otherwise Psychonauts as an organization would probably not exist.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Wow that ending sure felt rushed. I was kinda hoping for a mini level like the Ford fractures before the final shindig, but yeah. Just a multi part battle and a tidy bow at the end, huh.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Thanks Anaxite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM07Hyj-Toc

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Miz Kriss posted:

Wow that ending sure felt rushed. I was kinda hoping for a mini level like the Ford fractures before the final shindig, but yeah. Just a multi part battle and a tidy bow at the end, huh.

Yeah it was... A bit of a let-down. Which is a shame, since so many other things in the game kicked some serious bahookie.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Hey, welcome to the post-game. There's no way to get 100% before beating the final boss, and the world and its NPCs do advance after Maligula. We finally get to see the resolution to all those sordid love stori-- I mean, NPC mini plot lines. Oh, and our family. Remember that this is somehow only Day 2 as a Junior intern for us. Who has time to sleep anymore?

And after this, two more videos to go!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While Truman knowing about Raz and Lili's relationship is a rightly terrifying prospect, the man succeeded Cruller as the head of the Psychonauts for a reason, the fact that he seems to like Raz is a good sign.

Speaking of good signs, Augustus seems to have taken the healthiest mindset that someone who's been through what he has could. The same mindset Milla presumably adopted following the deaths of the kids she had cared for, not full suppression but a focus on the present.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I still wonder how Augustus regained his memories.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I still wonder how Augustus regained his memories.

As implied in both the conversation with Donatella and when we first arrived at Green Needle Gulch, some part of Lucrecia and Augustus recognized that Ford tampered with their minds both to protect the former and because they only had each other left: Lucy embracing the fake reality while Augustus just didn't question it until it had already fully unraveled.

As Ford said in Lucrecia's Lament and Augustus mentioned in the video: Ford may have altered Lucy and Augustus's minds to make them believe that they were mother and son but the subsequent memories they formed together were and are very real which is what Augustus is trying to reconcile now hence his mentioned identity crisis.

The implication was that as Lucy began to remember who she really is, Augustus had also begun to remember the death of Marona and how he actually relates to Lucy.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I have some ideas for what they could do for a Psychonauts 3. That mention of the KGB Grulovian Secret Police made me think of enemies Raz could face: anti-psychic forces and even enemy psychics. I mean, the Psychonauts are a spy organization after all, there are bound to be spy organizations in other parts of the world too. And if we need Psy-cards and other collectables, Raz could visit other Psychonauts bases around the world for those. He would join Helmut and Bob on their journey to find Helmut's body and run afoul of the Secret Police.

And then I had this whole wild idea for reincorporating most of the levels from Psychonauts 1 and 2 as "training exercises" for Augustus and Frazie, who are playable characters for the tutorial sections. They would use a couple of brains from Otto's brain bank and utilize Sasha's mental construct abilities to recreate the mental worlds based on Raz's memories (and maybe some leftover data from the Brain Tumblers). And they can even tweak the mental worlds by adding enemies and obstacles you wouldn't find in their original games. I'm sure the interns junior Psychonauts and new Whispering Rock campers would also have a blast following "The Adventures of Razputin the Psychonaut"; Sam's favorite level would definitely be Lungfishopolis.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe the implication in that Bobby Zilch is Loboto's kid hence why I mentioned him as one of the two possible returning campers alongside Dogen.

Also someone should tell Augustus that Oleander's swimming lessons are going to involve mermaid tails for everyone seeing as the dude can’t swim without one.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

It's gonna be a bit disappointing if they have a Psychonauts 3 and there's no mention of the Gastronauts.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cool LP, thanks for showing everything off.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

You want everything? Let's have everything.

Okay so first, have some extra extra content that doesn't fit anywhere else... if you feel like it. Such as a weird enemy duplication glitch when fighting a panic attack. It looks like it may have made the fight unwinnable, but I'll never really know.

What happens if you stack your pins to speed up the maligula fight? Not as much as you might hope.

AND BECAUSE NOBODY ASKED FOR IT YOU'RE WELCOME

And bringing up the rear, the last of the last.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I'm surprised you didn't play around with the pin combination that makes the time bubble speed things up rather than slow things down. I always found it amusing to use that on various creatures and objects. I believe there is even an achievement for using it on one notably slow device.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

There are a few things I didn't get to, and pins was one of them. It took enough time to do the other stuff that I preferred to focus on what I originally wanted to show off: the world and its story. Also can you believe it never crossed my mind to try that combination on that thing? :v:

Sadly there isn't an achievement for it either; the only pin-related achievements are for equipping one and three pins, and buying them all.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

gently caress it, game's still installed, so why not? Have the Fast-icular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzY51nbHNk

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Putting the Fun in Funicular!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for playing through this, it was nice to see the full story and talk about it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for the LP. Now I'm gonna go back and read that Lipo(?) document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks for the LP!

Also, dang yo, I thought the funicular would be stupidly fast.