Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

I guess you could say...

...her good sense had checked out. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can't you just use your pyrokinesis to burn away the vines?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You’re not far off for thinking that Cassie is from Hong Kong as the wiki claims that she grew up in Shanghai though I don’t what evidence, if any, there is to support this.

And what’s interesting is that Cassie is shown to have a fondness for the Enabler during the boss fight.

And no, Pyrokenisis has no effect on the healthy vines.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can't you just use your pyrokinesis to burn away the vines?

That would be far too convenient. Maybe someone really likes succulents?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Now that we've finished Cassie's Colllection, here's the second half of the bees' story.

The fifth bee tried to freeze it, but the wasp didn't notice.
The sixth bee, at last, won the day, but lost his mind.
The first bee was utterly distraught. Of the many who failed, she was the first.
"I will make myself stronger". And she put her kindness away on the shelf.
She left the beehive and made another. But in the beehive, she is alone.
She terrifies strangers. And she lives there to this very day.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Happy Sunday! Less happy Bob.

Fair warning: Bob's levels have the heavier subject matters, and hit a lot closer to home for me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Now that we've met the last regular enemy, I want to talk about the enemies in greater detail to understand why I think theming them around mental processes was brilliant in terms of visual storytelling:

• Censor - The most basic line of defense of any mind, these obstructive bureaucrats seek and stamp out dangerous or harmful thoughts. Unfortunately, Censors can only tell the difference between "native" and "foreign" entities thus Psychonauts trying to aid mental problems are considered no different from genuine dangers hence why they attack anything and anyone that doesn't belong in their host's mind.

• Regret - The meta-physical manifestation of a person's regrets which, even when small, weigh the person down and can be the cause of profound hurting in their minds though in keeping with butterfly symbolism; coming to terms with past regrets can lead to a metaphorical rebirth, thus, relieving them of the weight.

• Doubt - The meta-physical manifestation of the doubts in a person's conflicted mind. The presence of doubt in someone's mind can slow them down as they're questioning themselves repeatedly over it while their weakness to fire ties into burning away one's doubts to keep a clearer mind.

• Bad Idea - The explosive light bulbs that cover the backs of these manifestations invoke the symbolism of light bulbs for ideas and weaponizes it to represent how bad ideas can blow up in your face.

• Judge/Judgement - The meta-physical manifestation of judgmental behavior within their host minds, particularly self-judgement. The tactic of beaning them in the head with their own gavels seems to tie into the idiom: "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you".

• Panic Attack - As sporadic as they are erratic and the meta-physical manifestation embodying the stress of being overwhelmed. Appropriately to cope with a panic attack; one needs to calm down, relax and slow their mind.

• Enabler - True to their name, these gremlins represent the reinforcement of negative emotions and thoughts. The strategy of removing an Enabler's focus by distracting them ties into the belief that to avoid reinforcing negative emotions or thoughts, one should avoid focusing on them.

• Bad Mood - A black cloud that manifests when triggered by something which in turn needs to be dealt with to make the Bad Mood go away. The relevance of the trigger depends on where the Bad Mood is encountered though the cage you need to break will always release a Good Mood in the form of a heart to neutralize the Bad Mood.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 24, 2022

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I did enjoy the more personalized enemies in Psychonauts 1, but most of them weren't especially dangerous or thematic. Still: Lungfishopolis is beyond iconic, and also not a human mind, so it's great to have differences there! Does make it a lot easier to keep the theme of a mind (and escalate combat encounters) by having enemies be from a more restricted list, at least. They didn't even have the deadly wildlife from 1 in the overworld! But I suppose the Psychonauts wouldn't allow telekinetic bears or pyrokinetic pumas wander around so close to the Motherlobe.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Chronische posted:

I did enjoy the more personalized enemies in Psychonauts 1, but most of them weren't especially dangerous or thematic. Still: Lungfishopolis is beyond iconic, and also not a human mind, so it's great to have differences there! Does make it a lot easier to keep the theme of a mind (and escalate combat encounters) by having enemies be from a more restricted list, at least.

I feel like outside Lungfishopolis, the only non-boss personalized enemies that really worked were the G-Men and only because they were the most thematically fitting for their mental world not only in design but in how they operated because they weren't something you could fight directly.

The actors in Gloria's Theater never made sense as actual enemies since you could still talk to them and their function as actual actors meant you couldn't kill them off for good despite their hostility, meaning it would've made more sense that they wouldn't actively attack Raz until the Jasper fight where he was calling them to attack, while the armored snail cannon and mangled rabbit abomination were more annoying than dangerous and only tangentially fitted with Waterloo World and Meat Circus on the purely surface level.

Plus the mental processes chosen to be enemies are so ubiquitous that they could easily fit within the mental worlds of the first game such as Enablers for Boyd, Bad Mood for Edgar, and Judge, Doubt & Regret for Gloria.

quote:

They didn't even have the deadly wildlife from 1 in the overworld! But I suppose the Psychonauts wouldn't allow telekinetic bears or pyrokinetic pumas wander around so close to the Motherlobe.
There's also the fact that the mutant animals were specifically the result of the Psitanium over-saturation of the campground and lake which Green Needle Gulch and the Questionable Area doesn't seem to have or at least not to same degree.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh boy, this level was an interesting one to play through, even if I do think Disco Elysium did a better job representing alcoholism.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Great write-up! Mind if I add it to the OP?

I'll say that despite the lack of enemy variety, I like the enemies of this game a lot. They fit the idea of battling our inner demons, and they're visually interesting, especially when we get level specific variations.

Compton's Cookoff may be the best way the enemies are shown off! We see them in cutscenes taking part in the mental scenario, and they're dressed up for the occasion: IIRC there are two Judge variants, two censor recolors, and maybe the regrets though I can't remember off the top of my head.

If they had more time, DF could've maybe done more recolors, or repurposed the enemy models to make more unique enemies with different mechanics, but in the same spirit. I'm still happy with what we got though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Do you think the Nightmares in Boyd's level could have been replaced with Panic Attacks?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think the Nightmares in Boyd's level could have been replaced with Panic Attacks?

I would not be surprised if Panic Attack was designed to replace Nightmare going forward for two reasons:
  1. The Nightmares in Milkman Conspiracy were a relic of a plot point that got abandoned because it made no sense narratively since it hinged on Milla's Nightmares escaping and causing havoc, an event that the devs rightly realized Milla would simply never allow
  2. While I previously described Panic Attacks as representing that stress of sensory overstimulization, that really only applies to specifically the Panic Attacks encountered in Sensorium whereas the one in Cruller's Correspondence was likely due to anxiety related to Lucy being Maligula

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 9, 2023

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I could dig panic attacks dressed as milkmen, throwing bottles at you.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Anaxite posted:

I could dig panic attacks dressed as milkmen, throwing bottles at you.

Now now, that would surely help you! It's fortified with what the world needs, after all! What the world deserves.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Bob's life is just misery.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bob's life is just misery.

At least, that's what constantly dwells on his mind. No doubt he has countless happy memories, but those never add up to anything when you're as miserable as he is and has been for a while now.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, his isolation and especially alcoholism did not do him any favors. In fact it was confirmed last video and by the earlier conversation with Camilla that Truman fired him due to the latter putting people's lives at risk.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

This part of Bob's Bottles hits me the hardest.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Oooh, wow, uh. Yeah. That one hits close to home, but I think it was very well handled.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Mhm. Out of all the levels, this one was my favorite.
...Not much to add to that, the game itself shows why better than I could put to words.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm, I couldn't figure out if depicting that one character in Bob's mind as a moth is supposed to be a metaphor for something.

Also, little error in the game: in that scene at the very end of the episode with Helmut/Nick and Bob talking, the text box calls him "Bulb Bob".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hm, I couldn't figure out if depicting that one character in Bob's mind as a moth is supposed to be a metaphor for something.

I don't know why it's a moth either, but it might have to do with plants since that's Bob's specialty.

Also, at the part with the spinning blades, I could read 3 of the words on them: "Never" "Ever" and "Apart". What's the 4th one?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 28, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

There are a bunch of possibilities: the idea of going through a metamorphosis, camouflage, being attracted to light (to a fault), or moths just outright symbolizing death; they're often considered to be a dark counterpart to butterflies. Heck, I've been reading that some moths feed on fungus before their metamorphosis.

I can't find anything particular about this moth, so I guess we have our pick of metaphors.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Also, at the part with the spinning blades, I could read 3 of the words on them: "Never" "Ever" and "Apart". What's the 4th one?

"Forever."

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 28, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe the Moth is a manifestation of Bob's alcoholism, a maladaptive coping mechanism to his pain which he was trying to protect himself from by not feeling anything. That's why the Moth claimed it was trying to protect Bob by shielding him while also blinding him to the negative effect it was having on him to led to the aforementioned intervention gone wrong between him and Truman.

That's also why the fight ends with Bob removing the moth from his eyes, effectively erasing the drat bug's existence.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

I believe the Moth is a manifestation of Bob's alcoholism, a maladaptive coping mechanism to his pain which he was trying to protect himself from by not feeling anything. That's why the Moth claimed it was trying to protect Bob by shielding him while also blinding him to the negative effect it was having on him to led to the aforementioned intervention gone wrong between him and Truman.

That's also why the fight ends with Bob removing the moth from his eyes, effectively erasing the drat bug's existence.

I would agree with that, it's also why it looks like his face and why it's coping mechanism is to keep his good AND bad memories drowned in an ocean of booze. Moths are attracted to the light, but burned by it - it might be how he felt, where any time he had a good memory it was accompanied by an equal or greater pain.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think it is also because it can be formed by truncated the word Mother

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Samovar posted:

I think it is also because

God dammit I can't believe I missed the pun opportunity.

Anyhow! Video's been up a bit, so now I wanted to get stuff about Bob off my chest because of all the levels, his really, really hit me hard in every playthrough.

Of all the characters we've seen so far, and visited the minds of, Bob is the one who's been kicked one too many times, is down in the dumps, and truly feels like he lost the most in the battle with Maligula.
  • Hollis Forsythe had issues at a hospital years ago and nearly destroyed a person's mind, and still struggles with that, but there's nothing to suggest other serious traumatic events.
  • Compton Boole had an animal breakdown and ended up hurting those poor pooches, so he carries a lot of baggage with him. However, he cares a lot about Cassie and did not lose her to Maligula. He lost her due to them growing apart from the trauma of the fight.
  • The PSI King, aka Helmut Fullbear, has never really had the senses needed to deal with his loss in a more... tangible sense. He's been blissfully apart from the real world. Plus, he's an actor; sensitive but persevering.
  • Otto Mentallis never seems fazed by much. We don't see his mind, but he's a real engineer.
  • Ford Cruller had to deal with his love transforming into a figurative and literal monster, unable to do anything. He's still generally a strong leader figure, and he never physically lost her. He's still got maturity, and whatever actions he may have taken
  • Cassie had a really rough upbringing, yet she made it work. She fought as well as she could. She made it out. She's a victim of her own mind at this point, but more from overanalyzing. In general, I'd say she has a good head on her shoulders.
But Bob... oh, poor Bob. Bob was never in a great mental place for his entire life. He strikes me as having been the shy, sensitive kid who didn't have many—if any—friends. He had plants, he had music, and he had his Tia, who probably felt really lonely from whatever family situation they were in. Tia was not equipped to help Bob flourish, and her death probably shook Bob even more. We're given a glimpse of an individual who has a head start in trauma, seemingly more so than any other character we met so far.

We get to see that Bob found Helmut, someone who truly enchanted him, changed some of his world views, and brought him out of his shell in a manner nobody else had been able to do up to this point. I mean, hell, just being part of the Psychic Seven doesn't mean you feel like you deserve it, and he may have still have been in the shadow of his nephew Truman.

Then he loses Helmut fighting against Maligula.

None of the other Psychic Seven experienced the same kind of loss. They had lost friends, physically and mentally, but their friends were not the key to their sense of belonging, self-worth, and drive. Cassie and Compton chose, through action or inaction, to drift apart. Ford and Lucy chose their respective actions. Otto somehow copes with things in general. And Helmut didn't lose Bob—he exercised agency in choosing to save his husband, retaining some sense that he did the right thing for the one he cares of. Bob, however, is the only person who gets to feel he had no agency when it came to saving one of the most important things in his life.

It's not like the Psychic Six were able to do anything to help Bob later. We don't see anything they do with him after the fight, but they each had their own trauma to deal with, shown in their levels and memory vaults; they had to help themselves first and, in many ways, could not. The irony of the Psychonauts is that they explored the frontiers of the mind, and their mental abilities, but even in their mental dominion they are unable to truly see how to heal their own hurt, and that of others. Because of that, they suffer. Bob suffers.

But you know what? It's not just about the above. It's also about what I personally see when I look at Bob's character. He's that introverted, sensitive kid who has some artistic leaning, has difficulty expressing himself, maybe was bullied—or just outright ignored by his peers—, feels constantly overshadowed by friends and family, and withdraws from the world to try and focus on the things that work for him. Maybe he was okay being a loner (though in this case, probably not), but he gets a taste of what makes life worth living a pretty long time after his childhood experiences, and that's an amazing revelation! He's torn between "This is great!" and "how soon until this stops working for me?" This is also why chasing after seeds in his mind hurts so much: You can have an idea that something is really good, but you can't just shake off all those childhood habits; they'll be with you for the rest of your life, and it's a constant struggle.

I guess, when push comes to shove, I see a little bit of Bob in me. His tale has an extra layer of "this is what happens when you don't get the support you need," and there have been plenty of people who fell into various hobbies (hellooooo, video games) or habits as a way of not having to deal with the outside bullshit of the world that still goes on and still needs to be dealt with. The inner saboteur affects relationships, it affects work, and it even affects play. It may remain strong a long time, and it still does for me.

Unfortunately, Bob doesn't get the therapy he needs, but hopefully we can do better.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 30, 2022

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Anaxite posted:

Hollis Forsythe had issues at a hospital years ago and nearly destroyed a person's mind, and still struggles with that, but there's nothing to suggest other serious traumatic events.

I remember it as her nearly destroying the mind of that other doctor who was stealing all her work…

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

AweStriker posted:

I remember it as her nearly destroying the mind of that other doctor who was stealing all her work…

That's it. As I see it, what makes that event not as horrifying overall is that she didn't quite succeed (the Psychonauts intervened), and there's still a part of us, the audience, that can go "yeah but the doctor deserved it."

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Anaxite posted:

I mean, hell, just being part of the Psychic Seven doesn't mean you feel like you deserve it, and he may have still have been in the shadow of his brother Truman.

Isn't Truman his nephew? Which further begs the question, we get a good look at his relationship with his mother; but he must have a sibling as well to have a nephew, and I don't recall them ever being mentioned.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Iamyourking posted:

Isn't Truman his nephew? Which further begs the question, we get a good look at his relationship with his mother; but he must have a sibling as well to have a nephew, and I don't recall them ever being mentioned.

Truman is indeed his nephew. But I confess I don't remember anything referring to Bob's relationship to a sibling in the game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Samovar posted:

Truman is indeed his nephew. But I confess I don't remember anything referring to Bob's relationship to a sibling in the game.

I agree. The memories made it seem like he was an only child.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
It might be that his sibling is significantly older than him and already left home by the time his mother died.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I got the sibling/nephew thing mixed up :v

But otherwise we never find out about his sibling. It's a total mystery.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Anaxite posted:

I got the sibling/nephew thing mixed up :v

But otherwise we never find out about his sibling. It's a total mystery.

Bob reconciling with his extended family could be a potential plot element in a Psychonauts 3.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Speaking of plot, it's time to do something unrelated to story that I've been putting off until this very moment: backtracking! We had the opportunity to go back into past minds every since Hollis Forsythe was sorted. Having all the powers, however, really lets us clean out those minds and truly sort their baggage. Grab a drink, relax, and have a look through everything we missed.

We're also rapidly nearing the end of the game. I'm going on a little break to let people catch up, and we'll dive into the last of the plot next week.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I didn’t include this creature when I wrote about the enemies since not only are they not aggressive but unlike the first game, you will never encounter them during your first run through a Mental World in 2 so let’s have a look at them now:

• PSI-Popper Generator - Named by the Original concept art for it and nicknamed "Oatmeal" by the Psychonauts team at Double Fine Productions, this is another returning creature from the first game that you first encounter early on in Basic Braining. You don’t encounter them in every Mental World though as ones like Sasha’s Shooting Gallery, Lungfishopolis and Waterloo World are a single large room which renders Oatmeal unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can someone tell me what is written on those fans you need to slow down?

Are you going back there later for this?

Well, I managed to read one fan. It said, "Reality is", "Perception is", "Time is", and "Illusion is"

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 1, 2022