Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
But will Al Gore reprise his role as Al Gore?

e: have this ancient gif I made

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

CC episode ranking

I'd generally agree with this. Though I'd add Reincarnation to the list of good episodes, just for the anime segment alone.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this, by which I mean I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get a few good episodes. I am dreading their inevitable Trump parody. I'm sure there's going to be an episode parodying the Star Wars Disney revival also.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't remember what it was called, but the episode with the EYE phones (get it?) was pretty dire when they came back from cancellation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

I'd generally agree with this. Though I'd add Reincarnation to the list of good episodes, just for the anime segment alone.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this, by which I mean I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get a few good episodes. I am dreading their inevitable Trump parody. I'm sure there's going to be an episode parodying the Star Wars Disney revival also.

Somehow, Futurama returned

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember what it was called, but the episode with the EYE phones (get it?) was pretty dire when they came back from cancellation

I like it. Probably because i don't have any Apple products. Don't know who Susan Boile is. And like Craig Ferguson.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
100% we are getting an episode where Amy has to deal with the untimely death of her father

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Not sure why Disney decided to revive this when no one asked for it this time but okay.

I think DiMaggio is bluffing to a point. Obviously, he wants a good deal and rightfully so but if he's given a ultimatum between Bender getting recasted or a lower than expected deal then he's choosing the latter and Disney knows it.

Has there been any other show that has gotten original episodes on OTA TV, cable, and streaming before?

The man's also a higher profile voice actor than West or Sagal comparatively at this point. Look at his IMDB and you can see he is drowning in work so it's not impossible they came in at a price that undercuts his current rate/earning potential relative to the work he may have to turn down to record for the series

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The man's also a higher profile voice actor than West or Sagal comparatively at this point. Look at his IMDB and you can see he is drowning in work so it's not impossible they came in at a price that undercuts his current rate/earning potential relative to the work he may have to turn down to record for the series

Of course. If you can't get him, don't make the show. Nobody was demanding a revival and would accept a change in VA unless death occured.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasn't the table read today?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

it's me, I'm Bender now

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bonder, is that really you!?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hey guys, it's me, check out my shiny new voice

what oh? My old voice synthesizer melted from all the robot drugs and floozies or whatever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hopefully DiMaggio couldn't do it because he's busy voicing Wakka in a Final Fantasy X remake/sequel.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Chairman Capone posted:

Bonder, is that really you!?

Blender, you're the only one who's sober...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They should get Judd Nelson to voice Bender.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I started a rewatch and they could always hire the weird guy who voices Bender in season 1.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Billy West could probably voice Bender without anyone realising. (There's a bit in one of the DVD commentaries where he and DiMaggio start doing duelling Professors back and forth, like Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon arguing as Michael Caines.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

Billy West could probably voice Bender without anyone realising. (There's a bit in one of the DVD commentaries where he and DiMaggio start doing duelling Professors back and forth, like Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon arguing as Michael Caines.)

He, LaMarche and DiMaggio also do duelling Zoidbergs although those are much less close tbh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheJohnDiMaggio/status/1493769815353225217

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Yup, we're getting a new Bender. At least he seems to be keeping the most busy of the whole ensemble.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
TIL they're making a TV version of Interview With The Vampire.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I didn't have high hopes but not watching without real bender

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MikusR posted:

I like it. Probably because i don't have any Apple products. Don't know who Susan Boile is. And like Craig Ferguson.

I liked the eye phone episode too, and I do actually have a bunch of Apple products.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uncle Wemus posted:

They can replace him with Flexo

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Yea, this is one of my favorite shows ever and Futurama with some fake Bender just isnt right. Good for DiMaggio for sticking to his guns though. He's easily the most in demand of everyone on that cast these days so he should be getting a higher payday than they're most likely offering.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Futurama was one of my favorite shows of all time. When they announced it was getting revived the first time, I was so excited. But the revival was underwhelming as hell and felt like a different show, not a continuation of what made the old show great. It wasn't until near the end of the second season that the show actually started to be entertaining to watch again

Now after hearing they are reviving it AGAIN, I couldn't be less interested. I'm sure it will feel like a different and worse show, like before.

Pretty funny to hear someone with a net worth of $10 million tweeting that he's turned down the offer that everyone else accepted, not because he's greedy, but because voice actors don't get paid enough. And saying he's doing it not for himself, but so that the rest of the cast will get paid more too. As if he's being noble by demanding more money than anyone else

Also as if he thinks Hulu is going to rip up the contracts that the other actors already signed and just hand them new contracts with more money, if he signs for more money

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Just Chamber posted:

Yea, this is one of my favorite shows ever and Futurama with some fake Bender just isnt right. Good for DiMaggio for sticking to his guns though. He's easily the most in demand of everyone on that cast these days so he should be getting a higher payday than they're most likely offering.

If he doesn't want to do it because he can make more doing something else, that's fine. But he sounds like a real douchebag tweeting that his self-respect wouldn't let him take the offer that the other main characters already accepted. And that he was asking for more money, not for himself, but to help his costars (who obviously wouldn't benefit from this in any way). It's like he's channeling the real Bender, but not in a funny way

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings was a good ending to the show and everything since has been downhill.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It does sound like he Prisoner's Dilemma-ed assuming Sagal and West would also hold out for more and got stung

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DrunkPanda posted:

If he doesn't want to do it because he can make more doing something else, that's fine. But he sounds like a real douchebag tweeting that his self-respect wouldn't let him take the offer that the other main characters already accepted. And that he was asking for more money, not for himself, but to help his costars (who obviously wouldn't benefit from this in any way). It's like he's channeling the real Bender, but not in a funny way

How does that make him a douchebag? He looked at the pay they were offering them and said "gently caress no, you're not paying us enough for as important as we are to this project."

DrunkPanda posted:

Pretty funny to hear someone with a net worth of $10 million tweeting that he's turned down the offer that everyone else accepted, not because he's greedy, but because voice actors don't get paid enough. And saying he's doing it not for himself, but so that the rest of the cast will get paid more too. As if he's being noble by demanding more money than anyone else

Okay so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret here: Just about anytime a large corporation fights with workers over compensation, the corporation is the one in the wrong. It doesn't matter whether it's Scarlett Johansson suing Disney or the Kellogg's workers striking for better conditions. I don't care how much DiMaggio is worth, I'm still going to take his side when he says a Disney subsidiary isn't paying them enough.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It does sound like he Prisoner's Dilemma-ed assuming Sagal and West would also hold out for more and got stung

Well of course the stinger went right through West

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Also if DiMaggio demands and gets a higher offer from one of the richest corporations in the world it sets a precedent for future voice actors so I'm all for him demanding more money. It's quite possible that the offer the cast was given was pretty average and while the rest took it DiMaggio wasnt having it considering he's not exactly hard up for roles.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What I get from all this is that West and Sagal were asked if they wanted to do another Futurama and their responses were "eh, why not" seeing as they are both pushing 70 and probably don't care about the money. That's not to say I don't disagree with what DiMaggio is doing, in fact good on him for trying to wring more money out of Disney, but there is a different precedent and I highly doubt it has to do with how busy each of the three are

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh yeah I forgot Disney beat my boycott when they bought all media, goddamnit.

Disney is bad. Rich people are bad. Artists thriving is good. Thriving requires money. Money is bad. Futurama is good mostly. Unasked for Futurama cash grab is bad. In conclusion the new Futurama should be released for free and all the workers unpaid but a universal basic income is established so that everyone is doing alright whether they work or not.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Phenotype posted:

How does that make him a douchebag? He looked at the pay they were offering them and said "gently caress no, you're not paying us enough for as important as we are to this project."

Okay so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret here: Just about anytime a large corporation fights with workers over compensation, the corporation is the one in the wrong. It doesn't matter whether it's Scarlett Johansson suing Disney or the Kellogg's workers striking for better conditions. I don't care how much DiMaggio is worth, I'm still going to take his side when he says a Disney subsidiary isn't paying them enough.

It just rubs me the wrong way when a millionaire publically plays the victim and whines over how much they get paid.

I don't care what Disney offered him, if he doesn't think it's worth it then he's free to ask for more or not take it. But don't go whining to the public about it, when 99% of the public make much less than he does.

There's a douchey way to do things and a non-douchey way to do things.

Publically stating "my self respect won't allow me to accept a sum of money that is several times more than most people will make in a year/what my costars have accepted" is a douchey thing to do, imo.

And saying "I'm doing this so my coworkers make more money" is very disingenuous. They already signed their contracts, they aren't going to make more money if he holds out. If he really cared about other voice actors making more money, he would make a contract that stipulates they ALL make more money, which obviously can't happen since they already signed.

So what he's saying is just posturing to try to make himself look better.

You seem to think I'm taking the side of Disney here, but I'm not on either of their "sides". I just don't like millionaires appealing to the public as victims and how we should feel sorry for them for not getting paid more.

I mean, I assume you work for a company... How would you feel if some upper manager of your company that makes several times your salary came over to your cube and started whining to you about how hard they work and how they don't get the respect they deserve and should get paid more money? I'm sure you would be thinking "oh shut up, I don't care", right? Why is it different if a famous person essentially does the same thing?

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 16, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Exploitation is exploitation and is wrong regardless of your net worth.

unless you're an exploiter in which case anything is fair turnabout.

Disney knew what they were doing when they announced this without signed contracts, too. It's a dick move to put fan pressure on DiMaggio exactly like people in the thread/comments are doing and he's absolutely right to not heed them. It's not art or a passion project for anyone involved at this point. Disney wants a safe ROI and fresh content, everyone else wants to get paid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DrunkPanda posted:

I mean, I assume you work for a company... How would you feel if some upper manager of your company that makes several times your salary came over to your cube and started whining to you about how hard they work and how they don't get the respect they deserve and should get paid more money? I'm sure you would be thinking "oh shut up, I don't care", right?

No, I'd say 'me too'.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

This is definitely Disney testing the waters to see how many Simpsons cast members they can fire. They're showing with Mandalorian/Boba Fett how easily they can replace live action actors with body and voice doubles and they want to do the same with animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Poor, plucky little Disney has fallen on financial hard times.:smith: