Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Are we sure that episode wasn't written by AI? Incomprehensible.

It wasn't exactly hard to conprehend, though.

Honestly, that episode was worse than any given one from Disenchantment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Are we sure that episode wasn't written by AI? Incomprehensible.

My partner was convinced that the main plot was written by AI. It kinda tracked.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It was still too coherent for AI. Also, based on the timeliness of these episodes, we shouldn’t expect a Chat GPT themed episode until fall 2025.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Blind Pineapple posted:

It was still too coherent for AI. Also, based on the timeliness of these episodes, we shouldn’t expect a Chat GPT themed episode until fall 2025.

Not really. Just asked chatgpt to write an episode that ties three toy parodies into an overarching A-plot and its version was more coherent than the real episode. At least it didn't pull an out of nowhere parody of the Ring with the caharcters from Cars.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This season has been worth watching once, but never again. Last episode was just wtf, but still had some awesome jokes and wordplay.

"This means war!"
"War? We don't have that word. But this definitely means peace fighting!!"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I do not ask what the gently caress was that. I ask why the gently caress was that.

Yeah, it wasn't as cringeworthy as the Susan Boil episode but I'm really struggling to understand why anybody thought anything in this episode was worth writing, acting, animating or broadcasting.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I actually thought Zapp Gets Cancelled was pretty good. Loved DiMaggio as the fake guidance counsellor who also had really funny dialogue and design and Kathy Griffin's cameo was cute considering what happened to her a few years back.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

...man I think this episode broke any sense that the show was brought back for any reason beyond it making money. There aren't any more actual stories to tell in this world, no one piloting the ship has an ambition to do anything interesting with it. At least Archer in it's 20 seasons went balls to the wall with new tropes/settings.

Is what it is, which is fine. And expected. But it does make it a pretty hollow watching experience.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This season has been worth watching once, but never again. Last episode was just wtf, but still had some awesome jokes and wordplay.

"This means war!"
"War? We don't have that word. But this definitely means peace fighting!!"

The one joke I liked was Fry trying to explain the Planet Express free delivery punchcard. "No, so let N be the number of times you've booked a delivery..." is just a funny "the simple process is overcomplicated gag".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was the worst episode of the entire show and it isn't close.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

...man I think this episode broke any sense that the show was brought back for any reason beyond it making money. There aren't any more actual stories to tell in this world, no one piloting the ship has an ambition to do anything interesting with it. At least Archer in it's 20 seasons went balls to the wall with new tropes/settings.

Is what it is, which is fine. And expected. But it does make it a pretty hollow watching experience.

There's tons of stories left to tell. They just kind of aren't doing them.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Episode wasn't good.....but it also didn't make me angry like a few CC episodes did. But yeah.....that was all pretty stupid and bizarre.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 22, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It seems like people keep saying that every episode, and yet they keep watching. Just don’t. I haven’t watched one episode this season, and if this thread is anything to go by, I’m doing myself a service.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LividLiquid posted:

This isn't even close to correct, the nature documentary anthology of interest episode was easily worse than this one.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Yeah, Naturama was just... there. I can't remember anything from it other than Bender as an Elephant Seal who's sleeping with all the female characters? I certainly can't think of any jokes it had in the whole episode. But for this anthology, instead of dull, they went for just... I dunno, baffling? Like, they got that the Hot Wheels parody couldn't just be "This is a soulless commercial trying to barrage kids with BUY TOYS" because they did that for the Princess Purpleberry short, and the end result of that is that you get... one joke stretched across the whole sketch. So instead, they made it a Ring parody/slasher film ending on a weird body-horror angle that's just inexplicable. They intersperse characters being hacked to death with jokes about how they can only gain speed by going downhill. Rubber Ducks meet Weebls and it ends with a beach strewn with bodies because gently caress it, why not?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

"That's not aerodynamic enough!" was a great line at least

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Skyl3lazer posted:

This isn't even close to correct, the nature documentary anthology of interest episode was easily worse than this one.

It was a bit cringey, but it was better than this poo poo heap.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The Robot marriage episode was my least favourite, it just hosed over bender and amy

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This episode was confusing and bad, but at least it wasn't actively offensive like some of the CC run.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly I'll keep tuning in every week just because there were one or two this run that have kept my attention or were even mildly entertaining, but I turned the last episode off 1/3 of the way through and I'm not going to hesitate to press the stop button on anything that is just insultingly bad.

Love yourself enough to know when to back away :)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

The Robot marriage episode was my least favourite, it just hosed over bender and amy

That episode had pickled tornadoes and George Takei, it blows this entire season out of orbit

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

IUG posted:

It seems like people keep saying that every episode, and yet they keep watching. Just don’t. I haven’t watched one episode this season, and if this thread is anything to go by, I’m doing myself a service.
If I stopped watching every show that had a terrible episode I'd have missed out on some high water mark TV.

poo poo, if Leela's Susan Boyle episode made me tap out, I'd have never seen The Late Phillip J. Fry.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Scruffy is starting to not believe in this show

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Scruffy is starting to not believe in this show

Second

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Between this and the previous episode, I suspect someone on the writer's team has recently read Exhalation by Ted Chiang

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
10: All the Way Down
The crew investigates whether the universe is a simulation.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

10: All the Way Down
The crew investigates whether the universe is a simulation.

Good news, everyone! This episode has a novel concept that has the potential to be very good.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This season was so weird. Half of it was actually pretty good, two episodes were terrible, three were just kind of boring.

That said, it ended on a great note. The quality seems to always pick up when they stick to a premise that actually uses the world they've built. It nailed the uneasy feelings of some of the absolute classics, and had great lines. RIP Baloney Town

I hope the second half/next season sticks with what works, because I truly think the show's got a lot more potential, even eight seasons in.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 25, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This last one was easily the best one of the season or half-season whatever.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 25, 2023

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

I'm trying to think if the writer's room could have used more bodies (which hopefully gets better after the WGA strike ends) or if they're showing their age like on The Simpsons. I liked tonight's episode but I feel like this whole season could have used some polish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a genuinely great episode. No notes.

Edit: Wait, that was the end of the season? I thought they were doing like 20 episodes?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that was really good. I had a hunch that they'd do at least one that held up to the show's highest highs.

As a whole the season was definitely fairly "half-baked" but overall a little better than the Comedy Central run. I really appreciate that they removed a lot of the crassness that came with that era, for one thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good episode. Pretty happy. Just still some nitpicks with how it's written but that's all they are.. nitpicks.

Like that little bit of dialogue where Leela asks how Bender was in the air that entire time. Why even explain it. No joke could be funnier than just leaving it hanging, no pun intended.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Wait, that was the end of the season? I thought they were doing like 20 episodes?

Hulu did order 20 episodes; 2x 10 episode seasons.

Which is sort of the joke someone, maybe Fry, made on the first episode of this season - binging shows 10 episodes at a time, no more and no less.

This is a really small complaint but the role call in the simulation felt really needless. Like how dumb do they think the audience is that we can't discern whose who from the distinct 3 color pixels. Maybe this was originally the first episode and they needed to shoe in who each charade is to remind everyone, then just didn't rewrite it when someone said, "We can't use the best episode as the first episode"

But yea otherwise no real complaints, I liked it and it was cute.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 25, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The ending reminded me of "The Late Philip J. Fry" in the way that Bender is now Bender from a higher simulation layer, while old bender is trapped in the lower simulation forever. Very poignant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone should take morbotron and run it through some pixel algorithm to create an actual simputron that you can search and get tiny pixel versions of the show

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, that was great. Good concept, good writing, has heart, has jokes, honours the characters. They all get to do their classic jokes but they're recognisably people with emotions too. And Amy gets to be smart without that being what the episode is about!

Loved the "Bender leaping" cliffhanger bit. "My first leap missed by a mile...but I never stopped yelling no the whole time," with that self-satisfied delivery was great. Also the mosquito swatting joke, which becomes much funnier when you realise that he just angrily took off his arm and started swatting at Zoidberg with zero stimulus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good. Interestingly, it mostly took place around the conference table with the crew talking sci-fi instead of doing sci-fi.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good. Interestingly, it mostly took place around the conference table with the crew talking sci-fi instead of doing sci-fi.

Yeah, the pacing was really unusual but it worked for me. It's nice to see a show just do a slow, thoughtful episode when conventional 21 minute screenwriting wisdom says you should be punchy and quick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Gonna need someone to explain this one to me: