Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Gonna need someone to explain this one to me:

It was also the company that provided the disinfectant when they returned from the sewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Why couldn't the rest of the season be like this? This was great!

No belated thinkpieces on 21st century events, No nonsensical plots to justify a theme, just a straight episode that hits on science fiction, philosophy and character nuances to create a episode that takes advantage of what the show brings to the medium. A night a day difference to the last episode but then again it was written by David X Cohen.

With the writers strike over, it'll probably be 2025 until the 2nd half appears. Hopefully it'll be more of this assuming Hulu will still be around.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SimonChris posted:

The ending reminded me of "The Late Philip J. Fry" in the way that Bender is now Bender from a higher simulation layer, while old bender is trapped in the lower simulation forever. Very poignant.

I really liked the implication that the layer above them is also vastly more complex and they're like pixel blobs to it, with Farnsworth barely being able to understand the technology Bender brings along. It works much better to imply that than outright state it.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually liked the toy episode. The rubber duck plot was deligthfully asinine.
Minus the fecal worms ( too disgusting to enjoy, literally playing in shitsand) , Amy`s kids (too much forced sentimentality) and the vaccine episode(remember when thing happened is the lowest form of "humor") this was a good season. The heigths more than made up for the lows.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Baudolino posted:

I actually liked the toy episode. The rubber duck plot was deligthfully asinine.
Minus the fecal worms ( too disgusting to enjoy, literally playing in shitsand) , Amy`s kids (too much forced sentimentality) and the vaccine episode(remember when thing happened is the lowest form of "humor") this was a good season. The heigths more than made up for the lows.

I think it was good too. The heights also felt like the first four production seasons in terms of tone, so even if that's just like five episodes, it felt good to have that back in my life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

Better than the Comedy Central era overall. Did not hit the same highs, but also did not dip as low. Median episode by quality for this season is probably a good bit better than the median Comedy Central episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Better than the Comedy Central era overall. Did not hit the same highs, but also did not dip as low. Median episode by quality for this season is probably a good bit better than the median Comedy Central episode.

I think I basically agree, yeah. It's a bafflingly mixed bag, though. The Bitcoin episode and the Prince and the Product are real low points, and I thought the Santa episode was pretty awful too, but then the rest don't really get below "fairly good" and some of them border on great. It feels deeply inconsistent, like episodes are being handed between different writers without a point in the process where they're edited into something more cohesive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That last episode was alright.
No idea how anyone can see this series as even close to the first OR second run. The stories are just so much weaker with the exception of Zapp getting cancelled and this week's one. Kinda feels like these are the only two where they had proper ideas to spin out

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed that episode. Most of the rest of the season could power Baloney Town, though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess they had to make one good episode. I didn't like the Space Italy part, a bunch of bad, forced jokes. The rest of the episode was good. Some classic Futurama stuff.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Island Nation posted:

Why couldn't the rest of the season be like this? This was great!

I know! I suppose two good episodes are better than nothing, but I'd imagine many people simply didn't tune in after last week.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It was also the company that provided the disinfectant when they returned from the sewer.

I guess someone in the writers room just really like the word or something, then, and didn't want it to get lost in the backbround.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Well gently caress me. Where was that all season. That was great.

Appreciate this rule that every season finale has to re-affirm how sweet Lelia and Fry are together.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
As someone who grew up with low-resolution computers, it always annoys me when pixel art doesn't adhere to "pixel laws", i.e. whenever a pixel moves, the next frame of movement should be one pixel further over, not just the blocks floating freely through space.
Look at the beginning of the episode: The way the Planet Express bay doors open is the "correct" way, the way the ship moves isn't.

That said, the episode ruled. The fact that they used Pong instead of a classic cartoon during the opening credits was also a neat touch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For the season as a whole

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab669 posted:

For the season as a whole

It's hard to grade the season when some episodes felt like they came from an entirely different era of Groening cartoon quality, and some episodes felt unfortunately appropriate for 2023 Groening shows. And of course The Prince and the Product was largely inexplicable.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I think I'm just out of step with the thread: most episodes this season were on the better side of the average Comedy Central season, but I didn't care much for the finale. But there also wasn't any episode that really stood out as a "good episode" to me. At best, they were okay, but the worst, for me, was probably the one with Amy and Kif's kids. The Prince and the Product gets an honorary worst episode cause I don't even know where to start with it, but the Amy episode both had no real value other than cloying schmalz and it has the effect of making it clear that Amy is no longer a 20-something grad student, she's a 40-something mother of almost-grown kids, something Futurama, as a show, doesn't want to deal with. Which makes the episode feel even more weird and pointless.

But altogether, it was... okay. Came in with low expectations, but was also not pessimistic, which I think put me in the best place to watch the show. Biggest real issue with me watching a 12th Season is that the voices are showing their age, and that's not going to get better. Even if the next season has a better writing process and they've got the big topical jokes out of their system, there's nothing that can really be done about the fact that Fry sounds off, and Billy West's ability to sell him as a cheerful, youthful dolt making his way through life by luck is a big part of selling a Fry Adventure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nichael posted:

It's hard to grade the season when some episodes felt like they came from an entirely different era of Groening cartoon quality, and some episodes felt unfortunately appropriate for 2023 Groening shows. And of course The Prince and the Product was largely inexplicable.

It's not hard for me, because all of them except the last one were so bad that I'll be perfectly happy never watching them again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'll watch the next series, why not. It's 20 minutes, gently caress it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

I just like pretty and bright colors that move on a TV screen.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Taear posted:

I completely agree. There are worse TV shows out there to spend time on.
I've been critical of this season but to me it's better than Only Murders in the Building.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

I completely agree. There are worse TV shows out there to spend time on.
I've been critical of this season but to me it's better than Only Murders in the Building.

It doesn't have Martin Short, so it's automatically only half as irritating at most.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

PostNouveau posted:

It doesn't have Martin Short, so it's automatically only half as irritating at most.

I'm more bothered by other problems: It's not funny, it involves true crime podcasts which I hate with a passion and they seemingly pull out plot twists based on a magic 8 ball.

Futurama is guilty of some of these too but at least the characters aren't as grating

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Last episode was really good as expected. It kind of overlapped A Clockwork Origin, but definitely felt like good Futurama. Fun, trippy plot littered with good jokes along the way. I really liked "the cooling fan's on fire."

Ranking the episodes from this season:

1. All The Way Down
2. Related to Items You've Viewed
3. The Impossible Stream
4. I Know What You Did Next X-Mas
5. Parasites Regained
6. Children of a Lesser Bog
7. Zapp Gets Canceled
8. How the West was 1010001
9. Rage Against The Vaccine
10. The Prince and the Product

Would anyone dispute the top and bottom 2? I could see a lot of variance in the middle since they were mostly forgettable and would likely come down to which individual jokes you liked best.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I liked the vaccine episode fine, I'd swap it with the Wild West one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I liked the vaccine episode fine, I'd swap it with the Wild West one.

Yeah, same. I'd also rank the Xmas one near the bottom instead of near the top, I thought it was bad except for the turducken jokes, and I'd rank Parasites Regained lower and bump Zapp Gets Cancelled / Children of a Lesser Bog up a bit. But other than that I broadly agree!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

billy west sounds old as poo poo drat. they should age fry up a bunch next season lmao

west did a long format interview with Raised by TV that I thought was good a year or so back https://www.earwolf.com/episode/one-foot-on-a-banana-peel-w-billy-west/

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 27, 2023

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Blind Pineapple posted:

1. All The Way Down
2. Related to Items You've Viewed
3. The Impossible Stream
4. I Know What You Did Next X-Mas
5. Parasites Regained
6. Children of a Lesser Bog
7. Zapp Gets Canceled
8. How the West was 1010001
9. Rage Against The Vaccine
10. The Prince and the Product

I'd only swap Parasites Regained with Zapp Gets Canceled, but otherwise your list is spot on for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'd say the last one and Zapp gets cancelled were the only two good ones.
The rest were absolute dreck but the prince and the product was ESPECIALLY poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should do a One Piece parody

Luffy: Bender
Usopp: Fry
Garp: Mom
Zoro: Leela
Nami: Amy
Brook: Professor
Sanji: Zapp
Chopper: Zoidberg
Nico Robin: I don't know in running out of characters, let's say Labarbara
Frankie: Scruffy

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 27, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
My last $5 on number 1! In fact, make it my last $10!

It's a bit odd how this episode was so much better to me than the rest. They wrote actual good jokes

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Season had 2.5 good episodes out of 10. I guess a lot of albums have similar hit rates. Could have been worse. I’m wondering how many people gave up before the last episode, though, missing one of the few good ones.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It annoyed me a bit that it glitched out in the end, because wasn't the slowdown supposed to fix it so it wouldn't glitch?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

It annoyed me a bit that it glitched out in the end, because wasn't the slowdown supposed to fix it so it wouldn't glitch?

It would eventually as their seconds passed (which accounted for centuries in the above reality). The actual plan though was for Bender to tell them not to destabilize the simulation, which he didn't do to respect their autonomy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Surely though if it's a second per century they've only got a few hundred years before a red giant consumes earth anyway
Or the professor dies and nobody looks after the machine, more likely. So maybe less than a second

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ymgve posted:

Time runs normal for the people in the simulation. They don’t feel like the passage of time is super slow, everything happens to them in real time. So from their pov the world glitches out.

By the time the world is glitching out the “real” cast is long dead and gone.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There was no Hedonismbot this season, was there?

e; oh the wikia says he was in The Prince & The Product, ugh I don't want to rewatch that one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

There was no Hedonismbot this season, was there?

e; oh the wikia says he was in The Prince & The Product, ugh I don't want to rewatch that one.

He worked in the momazon factory on the moon

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Halisnacks posted:

Season had 2.5 good episodes out of 10. I guess a lot of albums have similar hit rates. Could have been worse. I’m wondering how many people gave up before the last episode, though, missing one of the few good ones.

I would agree with this, i can't say any of it was terribly memorable to me. I liked the opening and the closing episodes, but so much of it felt like just kind of a pale pastiche of Futurama stuff without a lot of the heart or care of the prior iterations. I watched all 10 and I honestly almost didn't since they were just sorta like 5/10 food, its not awful, but its not something you care to have strong feelings about either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halisnacks posted:

I kind of forgot about it to be honest

I'll get back to them eventually, they're ok