Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

theflyingexecutive posted:

This is definitely Disney testing the waters to see how many Simpsons cast members they can fire. They're showing with Mandalorian/Boba Fett how easily they can replace live action actors with body and voice doubles and they want to do the same with animation.

A few minutes of deepfaked Luke Skywalker almost certainly cost a poo poo-ton more than the $300,000 or whatever the Simpsons cast gets per episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and if you fired any of them and wanted to do that, you would still have to pay for voice likeness

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Timby posted:

A few minutes of deepfaked Luke Skywalker almost certainly cost a poo poo-ton more than the $300,000 or whatever the Simpsons cast gets per episode.

It didn't look much better than the stuff rando deepfakers are doing for fun at home.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

stev posted:

It didn't look much better than the stuff rando deepfakers are doing for fun at home.
They actually hired someone who did that for the Mandalorian lol.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DrunkPanda posted:

I mean, I assume you work for a company... How would you feel if some upper manager of your company that makes several times your salary came over to your cube and started whining to you about how hard they work and how they don't get the respect they deserve and should get paid more money? I'm sure you would be thinking "oh shut up, I don't care", right? Why is it different if a famous person essentially does the same thing?

lmao

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

if he takes less for this would he not get offered less for other roles in the future? I don't really know how Hollywood pay scales work but there's weirdness involved isn't there?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

if he takes less for this would he not get offered less for other roles in the future? I don't really know how Hollywood pay scales work but there's weirdness involved isn't there?

Probably not. Plenty of actors have taken a fee well below their usual rate for a passion project.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Timby posted:

It will most certainly be automatable and cheap within five years, especially if you're working with high-quality 3d scans and not archive footage.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stev posted:

Probably not. Plenty of actors have taken a fee well below their usual rate for a passion project.

if this was a passion project it would have been coming from Groening/Cohen after they got the actors backing it
this is clearly happening the other way around

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The ending of Futurama is fine as is, why is this a thing? I've never heard of anybody being even remotely interested in more Futurama.

Also let DiMaggio and Disney kill each other for all I care. Boo hoo, someone comes out of it able to afford one less yacht.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DrunkPanda posted:

I mean, I assume you work for a company... How would you feel if some upper manager of your company that makes several times your salary came over to your cube and started whining to you about how hard they work and how they don't get the respect they deserve and should get paid more money? I'm sure you would be thinking "oh shut up, I don't care", right? Why is it different if a famous person essentially does the same thing?

No, I'd be saying "You're fuckin right man, let's break out the company's balance sheets and see where the money is going and let's have a more equitable distribution of the fruits of our labor."

Disney is a corporation worth billions and billions of dollars that is trying to form an entertainment monopoly. As a corporation, they exist only to make money, which then goes into the pockets of wealthy shareholders and into bonuses for executives. And Disney is only doing this because they think a Futurama revival will make them even more money. Why shouldn't they meet his price? You're saying "huh, this guy is already rich, shut up" to the actual person with dreams and desires, but somehow not saying it to the soulless multi-billion-dollar corporation.

And why shouldn't he shame them? If they're unwilling to pay even well-known voice actors properly, you can only imagine what they're trying to pull on lesser actors and workers without any weight on their side. Because, again, they're a soulless engine that exists only to make money.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 17, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And like someone else said, they kind of forced his hand with the early announcement. They were probably banking on the fans to pressure him into it with a framing of him being a selfish rear end in a top hat for not going along with the old cast for nostalgia's sake. So, unless he wants to get cast as the bad guy he's got to push his framing of it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There do seem to be a lot of deranged Disney content creators who go absolutely insane when there's any pushback from stars threaten the content mill, like Scarlett Johansson's suit over the profits of Black Widow.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Phenotype posted:

No, I'd be saying "You're fuckin right man, let's break out the company's balance sheets and see where the money is going and let's have a more equitable distribution of the fruits of our labor."

Putting poo poo that would never happen aside, I do agree that corporations are generally in the wrong when it comes to compensation issues.

It'd be pretty cool if DiMaggio not being on board would sink the whole revival ( I know it will not).

Seeing what Groening and Cohen did with Disenchantment gives me little faith that this'll be any good.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 17, 2022

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Payndz posted:

Billy West could probably voice Bender without anyone realising. (There's a bit in one of the DVD commentaries where he and DiMaggio start doing duelling Professors back and forth, like Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon arguing as Michael Caines.)

Gaz-L posted:

He, LaMarche and DiMaggio also do duelling Zoidbergs although those are much less close tbh
The DVD commentary tracks for Futurama are great; like additional episodes. The Simpsons commentaries were by behind-the-scenes types so they were interesting and informative, but Futurama was mostly the voice talent so you got a brand new show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Also let DiMaggio and Disney kill each other for all I care. Boo hoo, someone comes out of it able to afford one less yacht.

You side with the worker selling his creative skills over the corporation extracting workers' surplus value every time. Yes, even if his accumulated wealth gives him the material trappings of the capitalist class.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Slamhound posted:

The DVD commentary tracks for Futurama are great; like additional episodes. The Simpsons commentaries were by behind-the-scenes types so they were interesting and informative, but Futurama was mostly the voice talent so you got a brand new show.

I really wish that they'd put the commentaries on Disney+.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

It will most certainly be automatable and cheap within five years, especially if you're working with high-quality 3d scans and not archive footage.

But this is voice acting for a cartoon. You can hire a new sound-alike actor for nothing!

...So of course Disney is absolutely spending millions on a project to save thousands.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Payndz posted:

Billy West could probably voice Bender without anyone realising. (There's a bit in one of the DVD commentaries where he and DiMaggio start doing duelling Professors back and forth, like Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon arguing as Michael Caines.)

Gaz-L posted:

He, LaMarche and DiMaggio also do duelling Zoidbergs although those are much less close tbh

I lost my Futurama DVDs in a move. :cry: The commentaries we're so great, and I wish so much that I could hear for myself how poorly Gay Guy & the Ghost aged.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

You side with the worker selling his creative skills over the corporation extracting workers' surplus value every time. Yes, even if his accumulated wealth gives him the material trappings of the capitalist class.

You don’t even get to be an actor unless you were born into the capitalist class. This will be the first time he’s faced any adversity whatsoever and I have no sympathy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flesnolk posted:

You don’t even get to be an actor unless you were born into the capitalist class.

Someone didn't make it on Broadway

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

You don’t even get to be an actor unless you were born into the capitalist class. This will be the first time he’s faced any adversity whatsoever and I have no sympathy.

Capitalist class is different than net worth/income percentiles. It's a question of whether you get your money from being paid for your labor or from extracting value from the labor of others.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Been rewatching and I don't think you people realize how much of a drain Bender is on the show.

He is constantly rude and impolite, burps without saying excuse me and often loudly interrupts people to say something unkind, sometimes outright mean things. He is selfish and self-absorbed and often doesn't care about how his actions will adversely affect others. He is also constantly causing trouble for the other characters and the company. Honestly without Bender they would be a much more successful company and make far more successful deliveries without who knows what going wrong! There are entire episodes that could have their issues resolved almost immediately if it weren't for Bender mucking things up! Look, I understood the joke of Bart Simpson (rude) like anyone else, I can appreciate Bender tying a string to a quarter to avoid paying the fee at a suicide booth (the owner and operator of the booth should be able to reclaim the coin from the corpse disposal so don't have to worry about the theft) but then Bender escapes, effectively committing a crime and then he peer pressures poor Fy into drinking something that used to and still should be illegal (alc*hol [drug]).

Just after so many seasons with a bender-heavy portfolio, I think we could stand to get a few where they just make deliveries in peace without some disruptive event making us wait 20 minutes to see the loving package delivered while everyones run around like chickens with their heads cut off because Bender was being inconsiderate again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When's the last time they actually made a god drat delivery? That company needs a shake up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

stev posted:

When's the last time they actually made a god drat delivery? That company needs a shake up.

That's why I ship with MomEx.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

stev posted:

I know just the guy. If only... he didn’t have... Bone-itis.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Accusing gentle Bender of a misdeed?? Now you've gone too far.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm seeing double, four posts!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm seeing double, four posts!

Now now, perfectly symmetrical posting never solved anything.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Flesnolk posted:

I thought posting goatse was banned so how come this guy gets to post his enormous rear end in a top hat like this?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

That's why I ship with MomEx.

I also will always love Mom, in my own subtle way. :shobon:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

cspam.txt

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat, I didn’t realize that Matt Berry has a recurring role in Disenchantment.

Just let him be the new voice of Bender. Just say Bender got stuck in this position

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bender Should Not be Allowed on Television

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Has Disney considered adding a one and two zeros in front of their offer?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Has Disney considered adding a one and two zeros in front of their offer?

How could a company as small as Disney afford 1,001 pesos?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've gotten to the season after the first cancellation, you can mostly tell immediately just from the fact that the video and audio quality jumps up sharply from copy-of-vhs to mediocre browser stream.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat, I didn’t realize that Matt Berry has a recurring role in Disenchantment.

Only good thing about that show. Also his voice is perfect for that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007