Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

It's so hot, I poured McDonald's coffee in my lap to cool off... Johnny Carson said it :fry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I just know they're going to do a real cringy rear end-kissing cameo for Elon Musk

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I just know they're going to do a real cringy rear end-kissing cameo for Elon Musk

He got a whole episode of the Simpsons a few years back, it's probably somewhere in the lowest point thread.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I probably won't bother if DiMaggio is out, but the only way the revival remotely works is if the focus shifts to Fry and Leela's married (and possibly family) life. Another round of pop culture and political parody 10 years later would be brutal.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want another Robot Devil musical.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm working my way through the series for the first time. Does the order of episodes matter? It seems to be a huge loving mess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Elentor posted:

I want another Robot Devil musical.

You may to need to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And by devil I mean the Robot Devil, and by metaphorically I mean get your coat.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm working my way through the series for the first time. Does the order of episodes matter? It seems to be a huge loving mess.

Just watch it in order. The authentic 2000 experience is to watch an episode, then a baseball playoff game, then nothing for two months, then an overtime of a NFL game, then another episode.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Taear posted:

It really feels like the reboot had lost the magic. I understand a few of the writers had left by that point so maybe that's why? But it's trying to do "current events" things and loving them right up
That robomarriage episode was a huge example of it - they totally gently caress up Bender and Amy's characters for a terrible throwaway bit

I agree. Futurama, imo, is the greatest animated series of all time. The original five (or four depending on whether you go by development) seasons....that is. I'm not even sure if I've seen every CC episode. The movies were a pretty obvious step down in quality....and it just continued from there. Sure....they had some good episodes during the revival....but there were some absolutely atrocious ones too. The whole eyephone/Susan Boyle thing made me wonder what went wrong. The original run had maybe two or three "bad" episodes. The revival was more like every other....which would have been fine....but even the better episodes came nowhere need the quality of the original.

That said....I'm sure I'll watch. Maybe the time off will help recapture some of the magic.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

He got a whole episode of the Simpsons a few years back, it's probably somewhere in the lowest point thread.

He shows up in South Park and Rick and Morty too. I'm not sure why because he can't act and isn't funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even Star Trek gave a gross nod to him listing off big space captains and important space pioneers. You'd think 2016 would've been all media's big "look you loving morons don't glorify any of these loving gifter business dipshits."

Watching old media in general it's frightening how often they reference a famous person who you today only know as a sex pest

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The whole eyephone/Susan Boyle thing made me wonder what went wrong.

That episode is tattooed onto my brain.

me in the Simpsons thread posted:

I still remember that moment, when I watched The Italian Bob. It was just a sad, sinking feeling -- just, wrong. I had that feeling when I saw the "Susan" boil episode of Futurama, the feeling of being forced to let go.

I swear, every single second of that episode pisses me off.

quote:

The original run had maybe two or three "bad" episodes.

Ooh, I'm curious -- which ones? Off the top of my head, my least favorite originals are Time Keeps on Slipping, Jurassic Bark, and The Honking.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Time Keeps on Slipping

No. Stop this.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

stev posted:

No. Stop this.

First of all, it's been a while -- maybe I'm just remembering the bad parts or something.

Second of all, those are least favorite episodes, not necessarily BAD ones.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I liked the CC run overall but this revival just isn't needed. :smith:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ooh, I'm curious -- which ones? Off the top of my head, my least favorite originals are Time Keeps on Slipping, Jurassic Bark, and The Honking.

The one where Bender pretends to be a woman to compete in the women's olympics has aged poorly. Also "Bender Should Not Be On TV" was pretty bad outside of the all-time Calculon line "That was so terrible it gave me cancer."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kif Gets Knocked up a Notch and Where the Buggalo Roam (another episode that hasn't aged well) almost always get a skip from me. The only Kif plot I liked was him abusing Fry in War is the H-Word.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
My Three Suns always felt like a clunky episode to me, but you could write that off as a first season misfire.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

Where the Buggalo Roam (another episode that hasn't aged well

Yeah I just watched this for the first time and Billy West voicing Amy's dad is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Bend Her was poo poo at the time too
I think on IMDB it's the second lowest rated episode of the good ones (after a Leela Of Her Own)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Blind Pineapple posted:

The one where Bender pretends to be a woman to compete in the women's olympics has aged poorly.

:hmmyes:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah I just watched this for the first time and Billy West voicing Amy's dad is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Oh dear god I completely forgot about that :cripes:

All this discussion is making me want edit: feel like I should to re-binge it from the beginning until the very, very end, which is The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, they're 100% either gonna have to say Mr Wong died between seasons, or recast. At least Amy's mom is just Lauren Tom again.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Blind Pineapple posted:

The one where Bender pretends to be a woman to compete in the women's olympics has aged poorly.

It was awful at the time, and I wonder how the people who made it view it. The long process of creating an episode means they couldn't have timed it deliberately, but that aired the same year that the Olympics were writing up guidelines for the participation of trans women in the sport.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'd forgotten there were two horrible episodes where Bender dressed as a woman for Reasons (and cheap laughs).

'That's Lobstertainment' was the pit of the original run, though. Woo, yeah, let's take a swing at the very hip and contemporary targets of [checks notes] silent movies and Borscht Belt comedians!

Also Harold Lloyd was an awesome physical performer and stunt artist, so linking him to a lovely (both in-universe and on screen) and annoying comic was kind of an injustice to anyone who might never have heard of him before.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 23, 2022

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

I always thought the one with the penguins was kinda weak. Really anytime they used those 'wacky' hippies never did anything for me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like Amy as a character, but pretty much everything involving Mars or her parents is bad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I guess I'll be contrarian and say I think the soap opera scenes with Calculon in Bend Her are really funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Early on there a few jokes here and there about gender that were merely tedious at the time, the same as all sexist jokes for the era. Not even in an angry or progressive seeking way of today but just the "jesus christ how many unoriginal comedians and writers can write these same exact tired hollow jokes about women/men/relationships." Now they are worse than tedious, but less than outrageous, just kind of pitiful.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

I guess I'll be contrarian and say I think the soap opera scenes with Calculon in Bend Her are really funny.

It's ok, I liked Yo Leela Leela.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Khanstant posted:

Early on there a few jokes here and there about gender that were merely tedious at the time, the same as all sexist jokes for the era. Not even in an angry or progressive seeking way of today but just the "jesus christ how many unoriginal comedians and writers can write these same exact tired hollow jokes about women/men/relationships." Now they are worse than tedious, but less than outrageous, just kind of pitiful.
There was an episode of Duckman where the premise was "men and women just can't get on, ammirite, so the USA gets split into two countries, one all male and the other all female" that I remember as being pretty cringeworthy even at the time for having every joke go exactly as you'd expect, so it would probably be unwatchable now.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, I feel like every time the show got into the subject of gender, the writers just trotted out the laziest hack cliches imaginable. That one CC revival episode where the crew got genderswapped also comes to mind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I feel like every time the show got into the subject of gender, the writers just trotted out the laziest hack cliches imaginable. That one CC revival episode where the crew got genderswapped also comes to mind.

The funny thing about that episode is watching it in syndication where they edit the hell out of it with stuff like recoloring Leela to make it look like she's wearing a top when they're doing the calendar scenes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

I guess it's very Gen X/Boomer - just think of what Season 1 of Seinfeld is like

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

The funny thing about that episode is watching it in syndication where they edit the hell out of it with stuff like recoloring Leela to make it look like she's wearing a top when they're doing the calendar scenes.

I swear I've seen censor bars that move as the professor ... :psypop:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Payndz posted:

I'd forgotten there were two horrible episodes where Bender dressed as a woman for Reasons (and cheap laughs).

'That's Lobstertainment' was the pit of the original run, though. Woo, yeah, let's take a swing at the very hip and contemporary targets of [checks notes] silent movies and Borscht Belt comedians!

Also Harold Lloyd was an awesome physical performer and stunt artist, so linking him to a lovely (both in-universe and on screen) and annoying comic was kind of an injustice to anyone who might never have heard of him before.

On the flip side though, I liked the bad movie they ended up making. Zoidberg saying "Good MORNING Meester Vice PRESident!!" was a running joke between me and a couple of co-workers for a good while. As was this bit between Calculon and Bender:

"And you say you can guarantee me the Oscar?"
"Hey, I'll guarantee you anything you want."

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"And you say you can guarantee me the Oscar?"
"Hey, I'll guarantee you anything you want."

"You said that Oscar was practically on my shelf!"
"Now you know why I used the qualifier, 'practically.'"

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
All these bad posts saying that totally fine episodes are bad and nobody has mentioned the real worst episode of the original run: The Route of All Evil

I don’t think it’s BAD (like how some revival episodes are bad), but Cubert and Dwight can’t carry an episode on their own

Also, I rewatched Overclockwise today and it’s a drat good episode. I’m not sure if it was written as a “this could be the series finale” episode but it definitely feels like it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OldSenileGuy posted:

All these bad posts saying that totally fine episodes are bad and nobody has mentioned the real worst episode of the original run: The Route of All Evil

I disagree

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don’t think it’s BAD (like how some revival episodes are bad), but Cubert and Dwight can’t carry an episode on their own

Also, I rewatched Overclockwise today and it’s a drat good episode. I’m not sure if it was written as a “this could be the series finale” episode but it definitely feels like it.

Wait what's wrong with it? Other than the idea that americans say it as "rowt"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Also "Bender Should Not Be On TV" was pretty bad outside of the all-time Calculon line "That was so terrible it gave me cancer."

I don't mind that episode, has plenty of great lines.

Almost all the lines from Calculon.
"I...don't know how to describe the type of thing I'm seeing."
"That was so bad it gave me cancer!"
"I just wish we could see this Bender I keep hearing about...they say he's the best!"

Bender's got some:
"Have you tried simply turning off the TV...sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?"
"Whoever's directing this is a master of suspense!"

But yeah, the plotting ain't great, especially because it brings back Cubert and Dwight.