Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DrunkPanda posted:

If he doesn't want to do it because he can make more doing something else, that's fine. But he sounds like a real douchebag tweeting that his self-respect wouldn't let him take the offer that the other main characters already accepted. And that he was asking for more money, not for himself, but to help his costars (who obviously wouldn't benefit from this in any way). It's like he's channeling the real Bender, but not in a funny way

How does that make him a douchebag? He looked at the pay they were offering them and said "gently caress no, you're not paying us enough for as important as we are to this project."

DrunkPanda posted:

Pretty funny to hear someone with a net worth of $10 million tweeting that he's turned down the offer that everyone else accepted, not because he's greedy, but because voice actors don't get paid enough. And saying he's doing it not for himself, but so that the rest of the cast will get paid more too. As if he's being noble by demanding more money than anyone else

Okay so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret here: Just about anytime a large corporation fights with workers over compensation, the corporation is the one in the wrong. It doesn't matter whether it's Scarlett Johansson suing Disney or the Kellogg's workers striking for better conditions. I don't care how much DiMaggio is worth, I'm still going to take his side when he says a Disney subsidiary isn't paying them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DrunkPanda posted:

I mean, I assume you work for a company... How would you feel if some upper manager of your company that makes several times your salary came over to your cube and started whining to you about how hard they work and how they don't get the respect they deserve and should get paid more money? I'm sure you would be thinking "oh shut up, I don't care", right? Why is it different if a famous person essentially does the same thing?

No, I'd be saying "You're fuckin right man, let's break out the company's balance sheets and see where the money is going and let's have a more equitable distribution of the fruits of our labor."

Disney is a corporation worth billions and billions of dollars that is trying to form an entertainment monopoly. As a corporation, they exist only to make money, which then goes into the pockets of wealthy shareholders and into bonuses for executives. And Disney is only doing this because they think a Futurama revival will make them even more money. Why shouldn't they meet his price? You're saying "huh, this guy is already rich, shut up" to the actual person with dreams and desires, but somehow not saying it to the soulless multi-billion-dollar corporation.

And why shouldn't he shame them? If they're unwilling to pay even well-known voice actors properly, you can only imagine what they're trying to pull on lesser actors and workers without any weight on their side. Because, again, they're a soulless engine that exists only to make money.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 17, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm gonna say this, though -- even when it's a bad episode of Futurama, it's still generally a watchable half hour of television. People watch all sorts of junk. I leave on Gordon Ramsay reality show reruns when I do chores, for instance. I've also watched like six seasons of the Big Bang Theory, and I think the worst episode of Futurama was more interesting than the best BBT episode (excluding the Susan Boyle episode, at least).

I'm not expecting classic Futurama masterpieces, but as long as they don't do anything too stupid and I get a few more hours of hanging out with Bender and Leela and Fry, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Taear posted:

All three are basically saying "It's kinda poo poo but eh, more content for the content farm"
Which is depressing

This is what feels so off about it. If someone was like "I've got an idea for an amazing Bender story, we've just gotta tell it!" then it's like, okay, if you've got that great an idea, let's get the band back together. But it's just like "hey, let's do some more Futurama episodes riffing on current events or whatever" and man, there is only so many times you can kick a dead horse before worms stop coming out (or whatever, I don't know how that analogy works, I assume you're hunting for worms).

I get the same feeling with the Justified revival too, even though I've enjoyed the first two episodes. So far it just seems like "hey, let's drag Raylan out for another season of crime hijinks" and sure, it's fun, but you didn't need to drag everyone back just to do this, you coulda just come up with something new.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That was all right. Not great, but pretty good. But again, why did we need more Futurama for the third or fourth time as we close in on its 25 year anniversary?

I did get a good laugh from the Scary Mirror intro, though. "That one with the phone call from the Devil? Now it's a Facetime call with the Devil. The devil part... didn't change."