Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And like someone else said, they kind of forced his hand with the early announcement. They were probably banking on the fans to pressure him into it with a framing of him being a selfish rear end in a top hat for not going along with the old cast for nostalgia's sake. So, unless he wants to get cast as the bad guy he's got to push his framing of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm finally watching the rest of the movies now that they're in Adult Swim's set of reruns, and they seemed to really suffer from "Hey, remember this guy! And this guy! And what about her! Don't you love these callbacks!" writing. I'm sure it was fun in the moment of the revival but it makes them kind of a slog now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And it managed to be very serialized but also not seem to give much of a drat about its plot. A lot of stuff happened but there was hardly ever any weight to it. Just the weirdest little failure of a show. All the right pieces but none of them fit together.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Disenchantment, it wasn't great, but it was fine and made me laugh more often than not. Is it anywhere the caliber of Futurama? Not really, but I still thought it was decent :shrug:

To be fair, I didn't actively hate it or anything. It was fine background TV, but that's such a low bar to clear and with the talent involved you'd think that they could do more. Especially since the ideas could have been fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
If the released list of episode titles is right, it's going to be pretty dire. Lot of uninteresting political/social stuff that's probably already out of date.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
She was pretty much everywhere in the US too for a few weeks, and a recurring joke on Ferguson's show. But yeah, it's weirder on rewatches that you could probably just chalk it up to weirdness than a cultural reference if you missed it when it happened.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Since he's in the teaser for the Crypto Wild West episode, I'd like to know why they think that the Borax Kid needs to keep showing up.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ruddiger posted:

On the opposite side of the coin, I’ve been watching xfiles and their flu/vaccine eps made me think about the more things change…

Adult Swim's been running Boondocks reruns and boy does the Fried Chicken Flu episode hit different now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Last time this came up in the Futurama thread I felt like the point stood that even A Leela of Her Own, possibly one of the worst episodes and one people generally agree on, still had a good Bender quote that gets repeated a lot and the Hank Aaron Jr. stuff that was okay. It didn't seem like they had any truly dreadful ones until the reboots even if some were just mediocre.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The meta stuff about the revival and actual plot felt pretty rough. Along with a little too much "Remember this guy! And these guys!" but the individual jokes got a few good laughs. Not a bad start and better than I expected.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Island Nation posted:

It’s possible that the line is meant to reintroduce Zapp since there’s a good chance that some people are watching the show for the first time too. Proper intro likely next week.

I took Amy's tone as just a "Zapp's not looking so bad now, is he?" dig to poke Leela about Fry.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, that was really, really pointless. Just an empty rear end episode.

I got a laugh out of Zoidberg joining in on the winnowing, but I think that was about it. A good entry in the "why even make this" pile. When you're grabbing the classic character of "the whale biologist who hates whales" for a reference, you should probably think about what you're doing.

Again, shame, since I thought the story for the 1st one wasn't great but the actual joke writing was pretty good in spots. Plus we've still got the cancel culture and covid episodes ahead of us.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

It felt a bit weird that the emotional climax of the one where Kif has the babies was Amy returning to defend them from predators as they made their way to the swamp, and then in this one they just stand around and watch most of them get eaten.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Also kind of weird that they went to all the trouble to handwave having 3 different aged kids and then they didn't really do much with it and barely gave the kids any personality beyond Baby, Young Kid and kind of emo Bart(?).

Also it reminded me of the Ugly Americans episode where the wizard gets split into a ton of baby versions of himself, which just made me miss it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TheFattestPat posted:

This show used to be so good at hitting emotional moments. Too bad this one was pretty bland.

It kind of felt like the older writers wanted to write about parenthood now, but all they had to say was "It sucks being away from your kids, and it's tiring and sometimes you feel jealous when they like the cool aunt more than you but you love them anyway." Which doesn't seem worth writing an episode about.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think they wanted to do a whole thing with Amy feeling not good enough to be a mom and that Leela's babysitting would play into that. If the intention was that maybe Leela was the "real" mom, then yeah, that's so unearned and out of left field that it just didn't click. Either way, I think if you want to do that plot you need to give it more than one scene of Amy's struggling. Not an ounce of fat to cut on the Kif and Zapp or Fry and Bender plot though. That manscaping joke was load-bearing.

Maybe should have had a ritual the kids had to go through or something. They could have had to learn from everyone. Use the honey sweets on the animals. Eh.

The payoff on the Wongs was decent though, it was easy but I liked the bumper sticker switch.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The guy who wrote this episode is 58

My gut feeling was in the other direction that the writers felt that they needed to pour out all that they had learned from parenthood to bond with their old fans and lecture/impart wisdom on younger viewers :unsmith:. And then it was time to write the episode and it was like "Oh...um, I was tired a lot. It was hard. I got jealous when they liked a grandparent/aunt/uncle more. But love's important. I guess that's it. I'd have been upset if someone wanted to take them away for no reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

They couldn't keep up the characterization of the main elf in the series who in the first episode isn't naive, just wants to not be in such a sachrine place all the time and then episode 2 made him dumb and naive.

Yeah, that's probably the weirdest part. They love to throw away character motivations and backgrounds. Elfo just gets changed into a generic idiot. Luci is a devil on Bean's shoulder for about half a season until they just go ahead and make him an evil cat after all. The King gets retcons, softened up and rebooted. Even Bean went from being a party girl struggling under the medieval/fantasy setting into a generic adventurer looking for her past and then love.

Again, such a waste.