Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Some of the best episodes of the whole series come from the Comedy Central run lol

If I made a top ten Futurama episodes list, I don’t think there’d be a single CC episode on it.

A top twenty list would probably have a couple though.

When I heard about this news, my reaction was “yeah, ok, why not”

Normally I’d be upset that the creators aren’t moving on to something new, but they already did that with Disenchantment and it sucked so sure, bring on more Futurama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's been a while, so this is by no means a comprehensive list. But just from memory:

Cream of the crop episodes - The Late Philip J Fry, The Prisoner of Benda, Cold Warriors, Game of Tones, Meanwhile

Good/Worth Watching episodes - Bender's Big Score (the first movie - some people don't like it but it's easily the best of the movies and I have soft spot for it), The Duh-Vinci Code, Proposition Infinity, A Clockwork Origin, The Mutants are Revolting, Mobius Dick, Benderama, Overclockwise, A Farewell to Arms, Fun on a Bun, 2-D Blacktop, Murder on the Planet Express

Avoid at all costs - That Darn Katz, The Futurama Holiday Spectacular, Yo Leela Leela, The Butterjunk Effect, Naturama, Saturday Morning Fun Pit

Like i said, that's just from memory and looking at an episode list. There's a ton of episodes I barely remember, which means they probably aren't great but aren't terrible either.

The biggest sin of the CC era is that (almost?) every one of the "three separate stories" type episodes was crap. I really hope we get another (good) Tales of Interest episode during the Hulu run.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Arbite posted:

What's up with the disagrements on what episode's in what season for the Fox run?

Typical late 90's / early 00's Fox schedule fuckery. Different episodes are in different seasons depending on if you go by aired seasons or production seasons.

Futurama's episode numbering is totally hosed for a number of reasons:

- the aforementioned schedule fuckery during the Fox years. Do you go by aired season or production season?
- The movies. I know they broke them up into episodes but that's a terrible way to watch them. So are the movies by themselves considered season 5?
- The CC years can be either considered two seasons or four seasons. They ordered 26 episodes and then aired them split up into two seasons/parts, and then ordered another 26 episodes and did the same thing. So are both parts considered a single season? Or were there 4 CC seasons of ~13 episodes each?

So depending on how you look at it, the first Hulu season will be either Season 10, 9, 8, or 7.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

SolarFire2 posted:

I think Proposity Infinity is one of the worst episodes of the series, personally. Largely due to the fact that the writers completely ignore the characters just so they can have the episode.

nah I just watched it it’s good

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
100% we are getting an episode where Amy has to deal with the untimely death of her father

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat, I didn’t realize that Matt Berry has a recurring role in Disenchantment.

Just let him be the new voice of Bender. Just say Bender got stuck in this position

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
All these bad posts saying that totally fine episodes are bad and nobody has mentioned the real worst episode of the original run: The Route of All Evil

I don’t think it’s BAD (like how some revival episodes are bad), but Cubert and Dwight can’t carry an episode on their own

Also, I rewatched Overclockwise today and it’s a drat good episode. I’m not sure if it was written as a “this could be the series finale” episode but it definitely feels like it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

I use "we apologize with nice cheap words" at least once a week at work

Just watched it again, for the first time in forever.

Still bad. It actually reminds me of some of the lesser CC episodes, where it’s heavy on plot and light on any jokes that elicit more than a generous chuckle.

Still, like I said, not outright BAD like some of the CC episodes.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Need help with a Futurama quote. I am ashamed to have to ask. But I searched Morbotron and I can’t find the exact quote or remember the exact wording.

It’s a Zoidberg quote, and the gist of it is him chuckling to himself about what a smart shopper he is. It may have something to do with joining a Columbia Record Club type thing? Or that might just be me merging two half remembered quotes in my head.

Either way, this points to it being time for a full series rewatch.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
EDIT: ^^^^^^ Nailed it! I kept searching for “shopper” when I should have been searching for “consumer”. Thanks!

muscles like this! posted:

Are you thinking about the time he sold his shares of Planet Express to 80s Guy?

I could never forget “once again the sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!!”

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Killer App is a decent-to-good episode with one very stupid joke in it that takes up ~5 minutes of the episode.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Disenchantment, in addition to not being that funny, was also WAY too serialized.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The original run had high highs, and the lows were still pretty high.

Comedy Central run had high highs and LOW lows.

New one is fine. Not a classic but not a dud either. I do hope we get some new classics in this one to justify its return again. I was re-watching some CC era episodes this weekend since I only vaguely remember them and Game of Tones WRECKED me. That episode should be remembered up there with Jurassic Bark and Luck of the Fryrish

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why does everyone think Fry and Leela are reset? I don't remember anything in the episode that suggested that

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Amy was an intern. She got her doctorate in an awful Comedy Central era episode about a planet of cats stealing the rotational energy of the earth.

One of the worst episodes of the CC era.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just felt like "Here's what the gang is up to these days."

A lot of the CC-era episodes felt like that. Like they were so concerned with plot that they forgot to add jokes. So there's consistency at least!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, this was kind of expected, but they re-cast Amy's dad.

I hope no one was hoping that Toby Huss would be back as Kahn in the upcoming King of the Hill revival.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I definitely hear how Fry sounds a bit haggard, but Hermes sounds totally fine to me :confused:

Also, the eye-phone episode is actually a good episode aside from the ultra-cringey Susan Boil joke, which is actually a very small part of the episode. Proposition Infinity is good too. I said what I said.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Another aggressively mid as hell episode. Surprised to see Kyle MacLachlan in the credits - who did he play?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Easily the best one so far. Still not a classic or anything, but a solid episode.

Edit: I just want to add - even though the season so far has been a C+ at best, it’s been really nice winding down from my weekend with a new Futurama on Sunday nights :3:

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 21, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Zoidberg hosed up and went 1 week into the future instead of 1 year into the future.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

slipshod continuity where its been 20 years since Fry came to the future but none of the characters have aged,

This only bugs me with Cubert and Dwight. All the adults I’m fine with not visually aging because they do SOUND older, and blah blah future tech keeps them looking the same.

But Cubert and Dwight should be, like, adults now. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This season has been very 'meh' so far. The highs haven't really been that high, and the lows haven't really been that low. Contrast with the CC seasons, which each had at least one episode per season that could convincingly be argued as worst episode of the show.