Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

That's why I ship with MomEx.

I also will always love Mom, in my own subtle way. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good, I hope they had to pay out the (shiny, metal) rear end to get him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Walrus posted:

the entire first Blursnsball scene is probably my favourite 'man isn't the future WEIRD?!' bit of the entire show

I absolutely lose it when the spider shows up :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Zst4pMzh0

The pitcher looking utterly dejected is a great touch too.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 4, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope that's all in one episode and it's just a 30 second cold open of some dude screaming about bitcoin, vaccines, and cancel culture and then Bender beats the poo poo out of him. Roll opening credits, get into the otherwise unrelated episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The delivery on that line is amazing, the guy is SOOOOO impressed with himself :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was.... fine. Some jokes landed, some jokes whiffed, a couple were overdone or made me think how the original run of the show would have handled it (Bender would have probably chimed in with,"I will!" immediately after Fry told him to keep laughing, rather than remarking on it 30 seconds later) but it was entirely watchable.

Never thought I'd say this and I guess in one sense it's a reverse of how I felt after season 4... I'm not sure why we need new Futurama. When it was first canceled it went out strong but felt like it was cut short of its prime. The movies were enjoyable and ended well. The reboot was a mixed bag but ended extraordinarily strongly and with a real sense of closure, optimism and hope with the suggestion that they just kept on going but that it was fine if that was the last we ever saw of it. Everything felt properly and satisfactorily wrapped up, and this current reboot just feels kind of... unnecessary?

I guess when it boils down to it, you can say that about any show though :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One joke I did really enjoy was when Amy suggests that maybe Leela should try dating somebody else and mentions,"Kif has a friend, his name's Zapp...."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The episode from the reboot where Fry becomes a cop briefly has one of my favorite ever lines.

"Poor Smitty, he was 2 days away from retirement. Then he took early retirement."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

the whole episode was based around her actually being supportive of Fry's stupid goal which she never did as his friend.

I guess she finally learned to stop being a fool. A perfectly reasonable, justified fool!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nichael posted:

It's very "a character is as stupid as the joke and plot demand it",

Probably not quite the same thing since it's Fry we're talking about, who has a brain like Leela's prom dress, but one of my favorite ever gags from the original run of Futurama is:

Fry: We can escape through this steam pipe.... oh no, it's full of steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8aVgOxjJU

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

There's still this weird pebble in my mind's shoe about the fact that The Simpsons is both canon to the world of Futurama and also a fictional show within it.

The toy Bart that Bender found (and ate his shorts) was merchandise from Bart's brief period as the "I didn't do it" kid on the Krusty the Clown show, clearly :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was so confused by what the overall message they seemed to be going for was. At the end of the episode, the Grand Midwife asks Amy if she truly loves her children and it's treated like this big amazing moment of revelation when Amy says she does, and the Grand Midwife says that's all that really mattered.

Except... that was never in question at any point in the episode? All I can think is that somehow the writers thought Leela being the genetic source of half the DNA would make ANYBODY think of her as their real mom? Which is such a weird way to look at things that it didn't even occur to me until I started writing this post.

Amy is nothing but a loving (if exhausted) mother the whole episode, and her whole frustration with Leela feels more that she's upset that the kids she loves seem to have a better time with Leela (which is a universal thing for any exhausted mom seeing the kids acting nice with a favorite Aunt or Uncle/family friend etc). There's nothing to indicate Amy doesn't love them or that she needs validation as their mother, it's just a super loving weird ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, episode was fine for the most part, certainly better than last week.

I think my favorite joke was "It's a good thing we brought the oxen.... usually we don't."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also enjoyed:

"The planet Klerg* was destroyed, killing all 50 billion inhabitants."
"Ahahahaha, anyway, you know what's back?"
"The planet Klerg!?!"

* I know it wasn't "Klerg" but I couldn't remember the name v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just randomly remembered from an older episode "You haven't seen the last of Barbados Slim! Now goodbye.... FOREVER!" and had a good laugh, and I hope it gives you all one too :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just love the little stupid moments so much. Like when Leela is pissed off at Fry and Bender, and snaps at Zapp,"Tell it to Wingus and Dingus here!" so of course Zapp turns around and goes,"Wingus, Dingus...." :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 11, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oof.

At this point I'm just holding out for the odd funny joke that makes it way through. I dug "Approximately 6", "There's a trick to winning, always be X.... I'll be O!" and:

"If you're done interrupting, we're finished."
"Thank y-"
"I WASN'T FINISHED! :mad:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry Island Nation :smith:

It's hard to pick an absolute funniest, but I'll go to bat for The Deep South from season 2. From the start "It's a fishing license.... and it's MANDATORY! :gonk:" all the way through the ending "Why couldn't she be the other type of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the lady part on the bottom!?!" it's just hilarious. The section with the house burning down underwater and the reveal it was Bender's cigar "that just raises FURTHER questions!", the little shake of the head about inviting Zoidberg to the Country Club, Fry chuckling smugly at Umbriel insisting that Atlanta is more than just a Delta Hub, it's just hilarious. Oh God, and the video about the celebrities who abandoned Atlanta: "Ted Turner, Hank Aaron, Jeff Foxworthy, The Guy Who Invented Coca-Cola, ....the Magician...."

Plus the commentary track is great too, especially with the one writer talking about trying to make the underwater stuff realistic because his dad is a marine biologist, and by the time they get to the fire the other commentators are screaming,"YEAH, gently caress YOU, DAD!" :lol:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 16, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's Lobstertainment features one of the funniest things I have ever seen anywhere, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmUfGfeOJ0&t=17s

That sound.... it's.... incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Zoidberg's line "Good MORNING Meester Vice President" was a running joke between me and a friend I used to work with, particularly during drunken nights out at the local bar.

Love that as well as,"The President is dead.... Congratulations, MEESTER President! :zoid:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And the winner, instead of any of the nominees, is the legendary Harold Zoid! :zoid:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bender talking mad poo poo about the replacement bureaucrat while the others are horrified, he says,"She's behind me, isn't she?" and she replies,"No, I'm in front of you," and they pull out to show she was standing like 3 feet away directly in his line of sight the entire time never fails to crack me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gotta love any episode that includes both:

"Farewell! You will all be trapped in this dense, symbolist tome forever!"

AND

"THE BIG BRAIN AM WINNING, I AM THE GREETEST! NOW I AM LEAVING EARTH FOR NO RAISIN!"

coming from the same character :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, not gonna be able to look at the Mind Flayers the same now that you've put that idea into my head :)

Will now also mentally project the voice of the Nibblonians onto the Githyanki!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aces High posted:

War is the H Word is definitely up there if you're a big fan of Zappisms (normally for that I would recommend Amazonian Women in the Mood but that's and episode that aged pretty badly, all things considered) especially this all-timer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRkfDMChzlI

God yes, the Professor's response is the best.

Also a big fan of the Professor's "Well tell them I hate them!" response to the Grunka Lunkas from Fry and the Slurm Factory. Also of course love (and overuse!):

"When will that be?"
"Soon enough."
"That's not soon enough!"

Sab669 posted:

I always say "Tell my wife I said hello" and no one ever picks up on it :(

How do you feel about that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You don't have to do anything, I'm still seduced from earlier!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DNA Cowboys posted:

"I'm not from here! I have my own customs! Look at my crazy passport!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EazNOJucBZo

".....see you at the fight..... :ohdear:"
Later....
":smug: So then I said,"....see you at the fight.... :ohdear:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not sure if it was Welker or not, but I recall one of the commentaries mentioning they took a voice actor's performance and then added a bunch of filters to make it deeper/boomier/bassier etc beyond what a human could do. When they called him back in to do the character like a year later, he showed up and gave a performance that exactly matched that altered version, because he re-listened to it before coming in and didn't realize it had been altered, and just assumed it was all his voice and so re-created it perfectly :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I enjoyed that episode, not an all-time classic by any means but it was fun and I enjoyed the non-resolution resolution.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Did you order diarrhea medication?"
"No, that's not my brand."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crushinator being given a package with the label "DO NOT CRUSH" and then crushing the guy who gave it to her while gently cradling the package was also good times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Or just lampshade how obvious it is, like that old Simpsons episode where they meet corrupt boxing promoter Lucius Sweet and comment on how he's exactly as rich and famous as Don King.... and looks just like him too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got some good chuckles out of the episode so in that sense I was happy, though it's still nowhere near the standard of previous years. The Professor declaring he was gonna go alone before pointedly looking at Fry and saying,"So nobody accidentally becomes their own grandfather :mad:" cracked me up. But yeah,"They crave death" was definitely the highlight of the episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fry nestling in with Kif and Amy's kids and excitedly telling them,"I love it when other kids are around!" got a chuckle. Fry's like legit late 40s/50 now, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bender wanting to use a suicide booth but putting the coin on a string so he could keep the money it would cost him was sheer perfection :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always loved the Professor's flashback to his work for Mom trying to create a "better" robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRgAj_olai4

The video above happily (or unfortunately if that's your thing) doesn't include the Professor and Mom making nasty in the past-y.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hail science!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tVuxZCwXos

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, that was terrible.

Senor Tron posted:

That was just so loving lazy.

Where's the insight, where's the commentary?

Seriously. Just a dull retread of "jokes" that were already played out in 2020.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I like the idea that there are people making dumbass pun robots and then just letting them loose in the world.

My favorite is still the fact that there is a robot out there who was built for the express purpose of being a billionaire :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I liked the episode which was a pleasant surprise :)

Maybe the key is to go in expecting the absolute worst v:shobon:v