Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have opinions about Fry/Leela, but they're based almost entirely around the original seasons so I don't know if they would change based on the second round.

edit: Also, I didn't like the Seymour episode. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Escobarbarian posted:

I like it but it’s probably my least favourite of the big emotional episodes from the original run. Luck of the Fryrish and Time Keeps On Slippin’ forever! And of course Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings

Time Keeps on Slippin' was worse than the Seymour episode, imho. Luck of the Fryrish was wonderful though. So was the episode where Leela learns that she's a mutant rather than an alien.

SolarFire2 posted:

Who would want this? The last revival provided episodes that ranged from 'barely okay' to 'godawful.' What makes a second try a good idea?

I really wish I knew. This seems like a(nother) disaster waiting to happen.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If they don't get John DiMaggio back they might as well not bother

Seriously, imagine The Simpsons getting canceled (god willing) and then getting resurrected without Tress MacNeille or something. Completely loving pointless and stupid.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gaz-L posted:

Tress is great but not essential, this would be more like the Simpsons being revived without Nancy Cartwright or Harry Shearer (I realise the latter's come close a few times, to be fair)

Yeah, maybe Cartwright/Kavner/Smith would have been better examples, even if they don't voice as many secondary & tertiary characters as DiMaggio did. Oh well, everyone makes lovely analogies sometimes.

quote:

Also I think people forget that DiMaggio does also voice a fair number of other characters. Not as many as Maurice LaMarche or Billy West, obviously. (West was the one 100% Must Get because he's literally half the Planet Express staff)

I'm sure they gave Billy West whatever he asked for, but I really, really wish that he'd asked for a colony on the moon or some poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Payndz posted:

Billy West could probably voice Bender without anyone realising. (There's a bit in one of the DVD commentaries where he and DiMaggio start doing duelling Professors back and forth, like Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon arguing as Michael Caines.)

Gaz-L posted:

He, LaMarche and DiMaggio also do duelling Zoidbergs although those are much less close tbh

I lost my Futurama DVDs in a move. :cry: The commentaries we're so great, and I wish so much that I could hear for myself how poorly Gay Guy & the Ghost aged.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The whole eyephone/Susan Boyle thing made me wonder what went wrong.

That episode is tattooed onto my brain.

me in the Simpsons thread posted:

I still remember that moment, when I watched The Italian Bob. It was just a sad, sinking feeling -- just, wrong. I had that feeling when I saw the "Susan" boil episode of Futurama, the feeling of being forced to let go.

I swear, every single second of that episode pisses me off.

quote:

The original run had maybe two or three "bad" episodes.

Ooh, I'm curious -- which ones? Off the top of my head, my least favorite originals are Time Keeps on Slipping, Jurassic Bark, and The Honking.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

stev posted:

No. Stop this.

First of all, it's been a while -- maybe I'm just remembering the bad parts or something.

Second of all, those are least favorite episodes, not necessarily BAD ones.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Blind Pineapple posted:

The one where Bender pretends to be a woman to compete in the women's olympics has aged poorly.

:hmmyes:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah I just watched this for the first time and Billy West voicing Amy's dad is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Oh dear god I completely forgot about that :cripes:

All this discussion is making me want edit: feel like I should to re-binge it from the beginning until the very, very end, which is The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

RestingB1tchFace posted:

There's only two bad episodes of the original run of Futurama imo: Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch and Mother's Day.

Excuse me, what? :psyduck: Both of those are great! although I haven't seen either of them recently enough to defend any specific aspects of either of them

quote:

Notice that I omitted A Leela of Her Own. In most aspects....a poor episode.

:raise:

quote:

But the Hank Aaron character was great and very memorable. The bits about him being the worst baseball player in the history of the game makes me chuckle. The bit about him trying to catch a ball with an oven mitt gets me every time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/phDvt8fY/B1dFKt.mp4?1555340972798

I love that Hank Aaron voiced himself and his great-great-great-great-and-so-on-grandson. He did a great job. :unsmith:

edit:

Maduo posted:

"I won't actually be going anywhere, but you don't have to talk to me anymore!" always makes me feel better about sticking it out the first 3/4ths of the episode.

I remember them cracking up over that line, and the sight of her just standing in the background quietly, in the DVD commentary. :haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Attack of the Killer App was soul-crushingly bad, but it basically forced me -- a person who knew the show was beyond repair but didn't want to accept it -- to break up with the show.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I wonder how much funnier the episode would have been if I hadn't known who Susan Boyle was. Probably at least a tiny bit.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I am extremely morbidly curious about the "Zapp Gets Canceled" episode. I need to see that episode, just like I needed to see every episode of Allen Gregory.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"The hat goes on the head! It's all so obvious now! :haw:" I just love it so much.

That, and all the clumsy "grunka lunka dunkity" rhymes, especially "dingredient" for some reason

Sab669 posted:

I always say "Tell my wife I said hello" and no one ever picks up on it :(

I grinch-smiled when I read this :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

lazerwolf posted:

My wife and I quote “Shut up baby, I know it” all the time. https://youtu.be/s2ZdJtJo4Ok

I actually quoted this semi-recently, to someone who either didn't get it or wasn't into it :smith: