Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Slamhound posted:

The DVD commentary tracks for Futurama are great; like additional episodes. The Simpsons commentaries were by behind-the-scenes types so they were interesting and informative, but Futurama was mostly the voice talent so you got a brand new show.

I really wish that they'd put the commentaries on Disney+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

Like I said before, the best way for the new season to go is if they shift the focus to Fry and Leela as a family. You even have those tar pits as a plot device so you don’t have to change the animation or make the characters look older, but a revival 23 years after the pilot has to see the characters grow somewhat. As many others have pointed out, the comedic tropes that the show used 20 years ago won’t fly today, and the political/cultural landscape has changed more in the last 9 years than the writers could’ve ever imagined. The one constant is that when they wrote the show with some heart, it was generally very good, so stick with that and wacky science and have fun exploring new depths of the characters. I don’t know about everyone else, but I definitely do not want the same show as 10 or 20 years ago, fun as it was.

I like that idea. Don't try to make more episodes of the 2000 show, make a new 2022 sensibility Sci-fi comedy show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One thing I like is that they keep with the in show continuity where despite the characters not seeming to age they acknowledge they have all been working together for a quarter of a century at this point.

Seems like there is something to mine there for an episode, that could also reflect on the present day, where the characters are late 40s/early 50s but still living their mid 20s lifestyle.

Heck, wasn't Amy only at Planet Express as an intern or something?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Taear posted:

Aging the characters in real time would mean everyone's in their 50s.
It can still be a work based sitcom

Have they ever established how old all the characters are?

Have one where Fry realizes he's now older than his father was the last time he saw him, then just have a joke where the characters remark on how short people's lives were 1000 years ago, Hermes is something like 87.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For the most part that felt like an original run episode, but one of the lower rung ones.

A crypto storyline is great Futurama fodder, but just felt lazily done by it just straight up being Bitcoin. Like at least make the professor come in talking about Bytecoin, Leela talks about how that's a laughable long dead currency and then he says how this is a new revolutionary currency that's 8 times as good.

A professional writer could do better than that, but there is so much potential for a bit of commentary.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

With the degree to which this seems like a Play the Hits season, we must be getting a Zapp-centric episode soon right?

Yep, upcoming episode is about Zapp getting cancelled.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah, that works out fine. in every universe there's a professor from the next one.

Didn't it end up being that every second universe would have them, with every other universe involving them vanishing and Leela taking over Planet Express?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was just so loving lazy.

Where's the insight, where's the commentary?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really like how they've commited to the Fry/Leela relationship. They've established a nice new status quo and successfully moved things along, without it feeling like it's changed the balance of the show. Even the episodes that have involved their relationship heavily like the Momazon one don't feel off or weird. They're together now, cool, move on.

Don't like how other parts of the show feel a bit first draft/sketched out, like they put a [insert futuristic parody of X concept here] in the scripts and never got time to tighten it up. This episode the cancellation/woke references felt very frozen in late 2010s/early 2020s discourse.

Same with the durian thing, yeah they're stinky, but (and I know this is a silly critique of a cartoon) it felt very cartoony that a single one would ruin an entire planets core worth of air. I feel like classic Futurama would have had some little leadup establishing Durians had been bred for a thousand years to be increasingly stinky, or that this planets inhabitants have exceptionally strong senses of smell.

Definitely agree that it didn't come down on the chud side of the line though in terms of criticizing "woke/cancel culture", everyone there was clearly in the wrong with what they'd done to get the punishment.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nichael posted:

In a way, I think Zapp Gets Cancelled was sort of my lynchpin of "is this terrible or not" because I dreaded it. I also dislike the trio episodes that aren't Anthology of Interest I or II, and that's apparently next week. They fell off when they dropped the What If Machine wrap around plots, and I don't get why they did that.

Probably the same reason the Simpsons dropped the connective scenes for Treehouse of Horror episodes, to save time.