Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm endlessly curious how this comic would read to someone who is unfamiliar with its procession of cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hope the witch's black cat is ok

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Surprising coracle-based past-present conflux.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 13-15, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 16-20, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Conan

John A posted:

I have a content warning for today’s comic. Contains one “botty”.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Late post because I am stuffed full of turkey and ham and potatoes and I needed a nap.

Scary Go Round (December 21-23, 2005)

oh hey those two look familiar

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 2-5, 2005)

oooooooooooohhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lmao at Marten and Faye.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm pretty sure by the end of Giant Days both of these things are true for Esther.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm pretty sure by the end of Giant Days both of these things are true for Esther.

I can't remember, didn't she leave the bank (or whatever finance adjacent thing it was)in the final issue?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gaz-L posted:

I can't remember, didn't she leave the bank (or whatever finance adjacent thing it was)in the final issue?

I think she got pulled into Shelly's orbit, yeah.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Gaz-L posted:

At the end of Giant Days Esther ends up working for the company that published Shelley's Tibkins books. According to Allison Esther later gets a job at the Ministry of History, taking over the position Shelley left. Esther was actually going to be the star of Destroy History: NEMS Part 2 before Allison scrapped it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 5-9, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Conan

John A posted:

Now things are going to start happening. Now we’re going to see some of the old steel. I made you wait twenty pages but my insistence on 22 per chapter means there’s time for some punishment.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't recognize those three characters, who were they in SGR/Bad Machinery/Giant Days/Steeple?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think they were anybody, which may indicate that they're about to go back to being nobody in very short order.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I believe they're Scotsmen. I can tell by the way one is just casually carrying a giant log, a favorite hobby of the Scottish.

I hate scammers as much as anyone, but I feel like "wet kindling" and "bottomless boat" are not 100% the sellers fault.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

StumblyWumbly posted:

I believe they're Scotsmen. I can tell by the way one is just casually carrying a giant log, a favorite hobby of the Scottish.

I hate scammers as much as anyone, but I feel like "wet kindling" and "bottomless boat" are not 100% the sellers fault.

Yeah, but it's Des Fishman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you buy something from desmond it is going to be both wet and defective.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 10-12, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 13-17, 2005)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (January 13-17, 2005)

Some more early storytelling weirdness, since this is the first and only time Esther mentions having a sibling and in all other comics she is an only child.

Also, from Allison's instagram:

quote:

If Solver is to return, I need new stories. In the past I have found that characters write themselves after a while, but I've never proactively tried to use this to drive the creative process. So in a first for comics, I'm just letting them get on with it. Here we see Little Claire's various notions to get the franchise back on the road. All very promising.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And now for the Hillmen and their time in the spotlight

John A posted:

Good, good, a decapitation. It’s been a while since we had one of those at badmachinery.com.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah. I vividly remember watching Arnold's second Conan movie as a kid, and my mom expressing visceral disgust as a head went sailing through the air.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 18-20, 2005)

Weirdly off-model The Boy in that second panel.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

From Allison's Instagram

quote:

A sleeping giant. SOLVER will return!

Also on Allison Patron he posted about some other comic properties he would like to work on;

She-Hulk

Death's Head II

Superman

Spitfire and the Troubleshooters

Machine Man

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 23-25, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Conan

John A posted:

Good, good, a double “running-through”, it’s been a while since &c. &c. See you on Monday for the next thrilling chapter of Conan & The Blood Egg!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Allison's whole vibe feels like it would gel strongly with She-Hulk, especially in the same mode as Rowell or Tamaki's runs over the last few years.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hill People! Yer bawdys!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 26-30, 2005)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Allison's Instagram:

quote:

Conan pt 2 is up on my Patreon at midnight tonight. Chief Shailey was a big hit in part 1 but alas you’ll have to wait for part 3 for her star turn.

A brief gripe:
The response to part 1 has been great but as has been the case for years now, it’s almost impossible to draw in new readers to my (free) comics. I always feel bad complaining about this because I’m moaning to the people who are already reading. I can do X-Men, more Giant Days, nothing moves the needle. I whip myself up and down the street to make this stuff as good as I know how and I have no roadmap. It can be a bit draining.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man, I'm definitely sympathetic to him but I feel like random one-offs are the opposite of how you bring in new people, webcomics thrive on consistency.

And like, technically a returning reader rather than a "new" reader but I had just started reading again after the end of bad machinery and then WHOOPS, STEEPLE WHICH IS THE THING YOU CAME BACK FOR IS OVER NOW. Dunno if conan is really appealing to me enough to keep me around with no idea whether I'll like what comes next when it's done.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
He's dodging the elephant in the room in that he probably bleeds readers every time he brings a story to a sudden hiatus, a bad crashing end, or just vanishes it from the web altogether. :v: How many Steeple fans hit the bricks?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Perhaps he doesn't want the readers he has?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like stuff like the X-Men thing would've been better served if he'd reached out and pitched it to Marvel themselves. Nothing there was especially out of sorts for the brand in the way that the Giant Days/Batman crossover was. I get that maybe he had tried and no-one there bit, but I agree that the random, scattershot pinballing from project to project probably isn't the best way to webcomic these days.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah a random X-men tie-in isn't the sort of thing to bring in new readers. Most people don't start out as fans of an artist, they first become fans of a comic. A few adventurous people follow the author to their next venture and then maybe bring readers in via recommendations. John Allison probably has more author-followers than most after all this time, but they're still an exception.

And then this Conan thing. It's fun, but like 80% of its lifeblood is fun cameos.

If anything Allison does is going to be a solid hit with a growing readership, it will be a project that doesn't feel too tied to his incomprehensible gordian knot of a back catalogue, that starts with a spark of inspiration and then keeps going, and is all available in the same format.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Part 2 starts on the website tomorrow, but my Patreon subscribers ($3 and up) can read the whole chapter right now. If you subscribe to the Patreon, thank you for your continued support. It keeps the old balloon in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah a random X-men tie-in isn't the sort of thing to bring in new readers. Most people don't start out as fans of an artist, they first become fans of a comic. A few adventurous people follow the author to their next venture and then maybe bring readers in via recommendations. John Allison probably has more author-followers than most after all this time, but they're still an exception.

And then this Conan thing. It's fun, but like 80% of its lifeblood is fun cameos.

If anything Allison does is going to be a solid hit with a growing readership, it will be a project that doesn't feel too tied to his incomprehensible gordian knot of a back catalogue, that starts with a spark of inspiration and then keeps going, and is all available in the same format.

Hell, that's why Giant Days took off. I had zero context for any of the backstory but 'slightly magical realism slice-of-life about girls at uni in Sheffield' worked as a premise in and of itself.