Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shameless Heinz promotion here. Sainsbury's/Tesco's beans are just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Is that it? The drunk guy was the vandal 147? I hope there's more, this is kind of disappointing

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Is that it? The drunk guy was the vandal 147? I hope there's more, this is kind of disappointing

The story isn't over yet, but this should be all we'll see about 147. This is primarily a Giant Days story. They don't get more "exciting" than that. It's just a fun time of wacky stuff, word play, and the cast solving the plot in their own way.

To summarize:

147 isn't just a "drunk guy". He's introduced as Kenny O'Shea, two times World Snooker Champion, who decided to revolutionize the sport by bringing in Snooker Plus rules. Except, one day he got shut down hard, all his sponsors threw him out, and he basically lost everything.

Fittingly, as most Batman villains work, this is revealed to have been caused by Batman/Bruce Wayne indirectly, as one of his companies shut down the plan after Kenny had invested all his money on it.

And just as Batman is doing what Batman always does -- beating up his villains and locking them up to make the problem worse -- Daisy saves Kenny by making him really, really loving drunk enough to fool Batman. She always knew who 147 was and that's been hinted throughout the story.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Saoshyant posted:

The story isn't over yet, but this should be all we'll see about 147. This is primarily a Giant Days story. They don't get more "exciting" than that. It's just a fun time of wacky stuff, word play, and the cast solving the plot in their own way.

To summarize:

147 isn't just a "drunk guy". He's introduced as Kenny O'Shea, two times World Snooker Champion, who decided to revolutionize the sport by bringing in Snooker Plus rules. Except, one day he got shut down hard, all his sponsors threw him out, and he basically lost everything.

Fittingly, as most Batman villains work, this is revealed to have been caused by Batman/Bruce Wayne indirectly, as one of his companies shut down the plan after Kenny had invested all his money on it.

And just as Batman is doing what Batman always does -- beating up his villains and locking them up to make the problem worse -- Daisy saves Kenny by making him really, really loving drunk enough to fool Batman. She always knew who 147 was and that's been hinted throughout the story.

Yeah, I got that. It's disappointing compared to Allison's other works, is all. It's not much of a mystery if the culprit is named almost immediately and the detective is almost as quickly shown to be completely correct. Takes all the tension and fun out of it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it was a guy who threw chalk dust and engaged in petty vandalism. you weren't supposed to take him very seriously.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, it was a guy who threw chalk dust and engaged in petty vandalism. you weren't supposed to take him very seriously.

The problem isn't that it's light-hearted or silly, it's that there's no tension or mystery; it ends so fast that there's no buildup to the conclusion. The culprit is correctly guessed with no detective work, the confrontation is extremely short, and the conclusion is unsatisfying. It's not even especially funny or fun.

Compare it to, for example, "Tina, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," an episode of "Bob's Burgers" with an equally silly and low-stakes mystery. There's at least some detective work and effort by Tina and Louise, there's conflict between the girls as they work on the case, the bad guy isn't revealed in the first half, and you get a sense that Tina is emotionally invested in figuring out who the mole is. This just feels like, John Allison wanted to draw Batman and half-assed a story to justify it.

The thing is, I like John Allison's other stuff. It's more interesting, including silly stuff. Is it just how "Giant Days" is? Anything that didn't make the cut for "Steeple" or "Bad Machinery" gets used in "Giant Days?"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The thing is, I like John Allison's other stuff. It's more interesting, including silly stuff. Is it just how "Giant Days" is? Anything that didn't make the cut for "Steeple" or "Bad Machinery" gets used in "Giant Days?"

Nah usually they don't solve mysteries, they just have lowkey college plots. I think part of the friction here is that he's plopping these characters down in a genre they're not used to. So if you like the characters, it's fun to see them running around interacting with a superhero and doing stuff on the margins of a campy supervillain plot. If you don't have any investment in the characters, sure, it probably does just feel like a not especially compelling supervillain plot.

In other words I liked this just fine but I could see why one wouldn't, and just want to see it's not especially representative of what Giant Days is like and furthermore you should check out Giant Days.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

How Wonderful! posted:

Nah usually they don't solve mysteries, they just have lowkey college plots. I think part of the friction here is that he's plopping these characters down in a genre they're not used to. So if you like the characters, it's fun to see them running around interacting with a superhero and doing stuff on the margins of a campy supervillain plot. If you don't have any investment in the characters, sure, it probably does just feel like a not especially compelling supervillain plot.

In other words I liked this just fine but I could see why one wouldn't, and just want to see it's not especially representative of what Giant Days is like and furthermore you should check out Giant Days.

I'm glad to hear that, because it'd be a shame if "Giant Days" was just a lackluster "Bad Machinery." My issue isn't the characters, it's that the story is very short and boring, and John Allison knows how to write a fun and engaging mystery/caper so this is a disappointment. It feels like he lost his nerve partway through the comic and rushed to finish it before DC could hear about it and shut him down mid-story. And/or he was taken with the idea of his characters meeting Batman, couldn't come up with a good story, and did it anyway. Like he drew the cover and came up with a plot to go with it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To me the point of the story wasn't much to do with villains and comeuppance but more so Daisy et al can get some good zingers in on Batman and Alfred. Like that's the joke imo, the zany Allison verse colliding with Batman grim n gritty and not much actually happening.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Scaramouche posted:

To me the point of the story wasn't much to do with villains and comeuppance but more so Daisy et al can get some good zingers in on Batman and Alfred. Like that's the joke imo, the zany Allison verse colliding with Batman grim n gritty and not much actually happening.

I don't have a problem with that premise either, it's just that he wrote what I feel is a sub-par comic for John Allison, partly because it's pretty short and partly because I thought it was just Okay

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
it was exceedingly okay

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I hope you’ve enjoyed this unsanctioned crossover, that broke all the rules while remaining 100% within the navigation beacons. Will Batman return? Yes he will, in the dozen or so titles that bear either his name or the name of one of his associates. Thank goodness his shoulders are broad, for they carry the expectations of at least a couple of hundred thousand faithful.

If you want to learn more about Batman – and who wouldn’t? – why not read The Caped Crusade by Glen Weldon, a fascinating book that I thoroughly recommend. Glen reads his own audiobook too and it is a lot of fun to listen to.

This whole story is dedicated to Darwyn Cooke. I think it goes without saying that I leant heavily on him here. Another set of broad shoulders, always missed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm glad to hear that, because it'd be a shame if "Giant Days" was just a lackluster "Bad Machinery." My issue isn't the characters, it's that the story is very short and boring, and John Allison knows how to write a fun and engaging mystery/caper so this is a disappointment. It feels like he lost his nerve partway through the comic and rushed to finish it before DC could hear about it and shut him down mid-story. And/or he was taken with the idea of his characters meeting Batman, couldn't come up with a good story, and did it anyway. Like he drew the cover and came up with a plot to go with it

I love Giant Days but I agree with you. I don't mind all that much because it's nice to see the Giant Days cast again.

GD is far more grounded in reality than Bad Machinery. I'd liken it to Spaced in tone, in that its weirder elements are just regular student/young adult stuff turned up to 11 rather than explicit supernatural goings on. A good example is in Giant Days, several characters slip into Night World, a twisted landscape of shambling figures and weird shapes which is just a metaphor for what happens when you go too long without sleep when working on essays/course work

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

A new story starts on Monday, the SOLVER 2022 SPRING SPECIAL. I had a big Charlotte story worked out called The Great British Bump-Off, but I got cold feet about it. It was too long and complicated to serialise on the web, so it has been kicked into the longest available grass.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

A new story begins! Fortified by her adventures amongst clowns and the Cornish, Charlotte Grote is back to a level of pep and vitality that we haven’t seen in several years. This surely bodes well for the coming tale.

Comics will run on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule for the next 7 weeks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm glad Mike & Karen's relationship is still solid.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

You may remember Mike Savage from his Scary Go Round misadventures or his Bad Machinery misadventures. His relationship with Lottie’s mum (forged in the very final pages of The Case of the Severed Alliance) should not be thought of as a misadventure.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Lottie’s new way with coffee may be a by product of her incessant enforced police brew-making in Wicked Things. She did her 10000 hours.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

These are real drinks, I would not flannel you. Well, I would flannel you, but I am not flanneling you on this occasion. I haven’t drunk cheese coffees but given the proliferation of cafe culture, surely it won’t be long before someone offers me these beverages at a reasonable (unreasonable) price. I could make them for myself at short notice, but where’s the fun in that?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Lottie's eyeliner game in on point

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a coffee drinker but Lottie's salesmanship is impeccable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So is Lottie's mom trying to set her up with Paul Atriedes professionally or personally?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sort of related, this comment by tiny Lottie a decade ago (or more) describing how Grote women are wide:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Poor Glenn Durgan. It’s difficult to imagine that this experience won’t permanently alter him in the same way Peter Parker was messed up by that radioactive spider.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

There’s a lot to parse in today’s comic, I think it’s best you just take it slowly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

We last saw Lottie’s smiley purple wheely case in Author Unknown. Its appearance indicates, without question, that she means business.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

For non British/London types, The Ivy is a famously exclusive restaurant.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Claire looks pretty unhappy about Charlotte being there, and I don't blame her. Lottie is great, but I feel like she should understand depression and anxiety the least of all the former Mystery Teens

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
awww, her lisp comes back that's sweet

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CoolCab posted:

awww, her lisp comes back that's thweet