Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I find it weirder that Nero's idiocy is so informed when he fits in perfectly with the expectations and mannerisms of everybody else in the story, let alone the setting. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Solver isn't bad in that I like the setting, the set-up could work and I like the characters(since I already did) but it is definitely Allison's weakest stories yet. It feels like he can't bear to let Charlotte go but he also doesn't have anything in mind for her. As I recall she was driven away from detective work, her natural love and drive, so she is now... detective adjacent? But without any long term(or even mid term) set up and pay off aside from the same characters are facing non-problems(even for Bobbinsverse) occasionally.

It's like when Allison wrote that Batman crossover story and ended it abruptly in the first act. Solver feels like a series of little mini-stories doing that.

It's nice to keep seeing the Bad Machinery crew and all(especially Shauna after a forever and a half) but that's all we've done, visited some old friends. People are enjoying Steeple more since it seems to be building to something, I know I am.

And Allison certainly makes it a pain in the rear end to do so but if I could check up on it I remember that even old Scary Go Round would have narrative lines and payoffs you could follow.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 20, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The group dynamic works a lot better when anybody else in the group does anything. If you removed Glenn from the story and Lottie and Claire got an apartment together, what changes in any of the stories? And Nero just got almost irrevocably ejected from the group! Also a big wet fart that Claire and Glenn were almost 100% wrong on doubting Nero and Lottie supporting him as they succeeded wonderfully. I don't think they predicted the nefarious manager and Nero's betrayal outside of the very broadest "showbiz corrupts" sense.

Allison's stuff is never bad but Solver was so much wheel spinning until this last story and it ends abruptly on a tragic little cliffhanger. This probably could've been the end of the second act. Just feels like a total loss of direction since the last BM story. He disowned Wenn-Tack which is odd since most fans will agree it was a good story that petered out near the end, dissolved the gang, made Charlotte give up mysteries and then get a job... uh, solving peoples mysterious problems. Lottie's lovable and all but time to move on until a good story comes to him.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I thought that was real for a second while reading the comic summaries at the bottom. :haw: "That's silver age alright."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

:3: It feels good to see John having such fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't she have an orgy ritual to summon jobs to the town and it caused a flood because of ironic devil dealing? During the movie shoot story. Not necessarily evil(she had a good motivation!), pretty wicked.

I'd just take Billie at her word that she wanted a religion that gave her the thumbs up for gettin' super freaky.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I really need to see the Reverend get to sit down and put together his hobby kit. :ohdear:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's been over a decade since I last read SGR, or it was easily accessible, so I definitely forgot that for awhile it was a conga line of serial killers. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That last strip is melodious and cements Hugo as my favorite SGR character.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

SGR is very much a product of a time when you could hope to develop a fanbase that would support you drawing as a career so long as you updated three times a week without fail. Allison running with an idea for a few weeks and then hopping to a spy movie parody with Falon and vice versa is accurate.

I'm still pretty fond of SGR, there is a light continuity and Shelly and Amy are a huge improvement as protagonists. Compared to other long running strips SGR was in the top half of the quality curve.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There's quite a few 20+ year runners still in it. I won't go look at Sluggy Freelance on fear of being struck down like I just witnessed an elder god.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I want a spinoff starring Tom.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I love John's work but I guess he has a fae pact against ending his stories. Sheeple was way too good to end with "poo poo happens." :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (June 21-23, 2005)

This is it. The perfect Amy strip. :allears: As great as it was 20 years ago.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Good Conan comic! Laying it on thick and early with Shelly betraying him in the end, me thinks. :thunk:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

He's dodging the elephant in the room in that he probably bleeds readers every time he brings a story to a sudden hiatus, a bad crashing end, or just vanishes it from the web altogether. :v: How many Steeple fans hit the bricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

CPI are jerks and the Conan comic was good. It feels like John keeps setting up these rakes to step on though. Hope he can get a few start to finish ideas written down for his original settings. Dude wants to grow his audience but his last 5 or so creative works are 3 fanworks that were taken down and throwing Steeple into a burning bin.

If he's creatively burnt out with anything but fanworks then :ohdear: