Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't remember Susan being this horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was gonna argue Bruce should have a posher motor but then remembered the Astra is the standard police vehicle here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I see your clever trademark dodgery Allison

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The really confusingly meta part is I think this is when Esther worked at the comic shop in continuity.

Also, apparently it is canon that Gotham is in Jersey!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The two games basically require the same skills. It's basically like playing 5-a-side vs proper football. No reason Daisy can't do both.

Heh, I only just realised Daisy's the sporty one of the group, but 100% doesn't fall into the 'sporty lesbian' stereotype.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

"Out of the way, Ed Gemmell!"

love how Ed can never really catch a break

I also like how consistent Allison is that people always use his full name

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can hear William Dozier reading those last captions

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is this building to a Giant Days cameo? Daisy and her wife showing up to dispense some advice a la the Taylors from Friday Night Lights?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Murdstone posted:

I don't think Munch was ever in L&O:CI.

Oddly you're right. He did do an episode of Trial By Jury but never CI.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is literally the scene from Scott Pilgrim where Knives sees the band rehearse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TDepressionEarl posted:

playing an instrument is easier than dancing, especially for the british

This is fair. American and Korean boybands do flashy choreo. British and Irish ones sit on stools.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, that was Giant Days too. It's slice of life, the premise of detective/'solving' is basically a loose excuse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Good panel work by Allison there

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, I feel like Logan would be the one into Springsteen. Kitty always felt more like she was into more traditional pop at this point. Like Badlands is basically Wolverine in a nutshell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only problem with the Transformers one is I think the issue number is too low for that summary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, they could try dodging. It's not like she's the only mutant with a power that amounts to "if I can touch you I win."

Yeah, but usually they're trying to use their hands. Kitty/Kate can just run at you and not even worry about collisions. So, like, best case scenario has these cyborgs fleeing a 13 year old girl like a bizarre game of tag.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Honestly, with the popularity of Transformers UK comics we probably should have

Truly it is we who have reaped the whirlwind

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate the attention to detail in the Robochanger's speech bubbles, with the straight lines and coloured blocks a la the old Marvel TF comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
loving nailed it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:colbert: If a 3.5 inch floppy was good enough for Optimus Prime it's good enough for a Welsh Changebot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skulker posted:

The miracle of John Allison's work is that he has been Incredibly Horny for 20+ years now but not once has he ever slipped over the line into Too Horny.

Does this only count stuff he's drawn himself? Because some panels of Esther and Nina in Giant Days came close to the line...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The inking on Scareodeleria looks really good, I've never liked the same colour outlines on SGR

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Aw, I had a Zambian 48k as a kid, fond memories of playing Practical Football on it when I had a hernia repaired as a little kid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RIP Andre Braugher

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"I can do it for a tithe of £2000, but that's only if I can get me regular clerics"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The flashforward thing sort of worked for Giant Days even if that also ended abruptly but this does feel uniquely unsatisfying from both directions

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I hear that smith is married to a local medicine woman of sharp tongue and fierce tobacco habit.

McGraw would probably be happier in the Hyborean Age, honestly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:colbert: Conan is an extremely skilled thief, many of his exploits involve heists such as this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just do not let her see any athletic yet wicked maidens as they will addle her mystic senses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm pretty sure by the end of Giant Days both of these things are true for Esther.

I can't remember, didn't she leave the bank (or whatever finance adjacent thing it was)in the final issue?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Allison's whole vibe feels like it would gel strongly with She-Hulk, especially in the same mode as Rowell or Tamaki's runs over the last few years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like stuff like the X-Men thing would've been better served if he'd reached out and pitched it to Marvel themselves. Nothing there was especially out of sorts for the brand in the way that the Giant Days/Batman crossover was. I get that maybe he had tried and no-one there bit, but I agree that the random, scattershot pinballing from project to project probably isn't the best way to webcomic these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah a random X-men tie-in isn't the sort of thing to bring in new readers. Most people don't start out as fans of an artist, they first become fans of a comic. A few adventurous people follow the author to their next venture and then maybe bring readers in via recommendations. John Allison probably has more author-followers than most after all this time, but they're still an exception.

And then this Conan thing. It's fun, but like 80% of its lifeblood is fun cameos.

If anything Allison does is going to be a solid hit with a growing readership, it will be a project that doesn't feel too tied to his incomprehensible gordian knot of a back catalogue, that starts with a spark of inspiration and then keeps going, and is all available in the same format.

Hell, that's why Giant Days took off. I had zero context for any of the backstory but 'slightly magical realism slice-of-life about girls at uni in Sheffield' worked as a premise in and of itself.