Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

drat, I was wrong about it being a fakeout

Mrs Clovis in jail is too rich a concept to pass up.

I bet she's thriving in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm guessing the plan is to "end" Steeple, but not worry about loose threads just like he doesn't worry about losing his favorite characters when he ends their comics. All will be dissolved into the John Allison-verse.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I love the Holy Hi-Vis.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Every steeple story that ended with an implication that it was setting up something for the future... I guess that's just a massive misreading of tone on the part of the entire audience?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The thing is, half of these hinted-at storylines were already hinted-at, that hint being the culmination of a previous entire story.

For example, I remember there the one chapter where Jason was lurking around the edges the entire time, and in the end nobody really realized it was him, except Tom who (it was revealed in a chapter-closing stinger) had captured him for unknown purposes. It was an ending that didn't resolve anything, but did set up an intriguing potential. Steeple was full of things like that.

And now I guess here's a closing chapter which is nothing but setting up intriguing storylines that vanish before they land. So maybe it's revealing that to be a specific structural theme of Steeple as a series, echoed and underlined in its conclusion. ...I'll go with that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Scrolling through the comments on that last Steeple page:

John Allison posted:

I had to stop Steeple, Ivo. I can only draw one comic at a time and the publisher didn’t want any more. I drew 110 pages they didn’t want, for the readers. I could just have done no more and never said anything to the loyal readers, just left them hanging, but how is that better? [...] I did as much Steeple as I could, then when I couldn’t do any more, I told you everything I would have done.
I still don't like it, but I guess this is an explanation of "why" that I can understand on some level.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 16, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, "throwing all the potential plot threads into their next critical development simultaneously" kind of makes it harder to return, than would just leaving it hanging between chapters.

But I now think that was partly the point: he needs to move on to something that pays, and this ending seems like a way for him to get closure with the project (as the author), releasing as much of its potential energy as possible. He's no longer holding on to all of these plans.

EDIT: Also yeah, "John Allison might return to characters from an previously-ended series" is the least surprising idea in the world of webcomics. Steeple itself might never come back, but its characters will pop up in other comics and crossovers.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

lol, I guess that font doesn't have the GBP symbol

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm endlessly curious how this comic would read to someone who is unfamiliar with its procession of cameos.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't recognize those three characters, who were they in SGR/Bad Machinery/Giant Days/Steeple?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah a random X-men tie-in isn't the sort of thing to bring in new readers. Most people don't start out as fans of an artist, they first become fans of a comic. A few adventurous people follow the author to their next venture and then maybe bring readers in via recommendations. John Allison probably has more author-followers than most after all this time, but they're still an exception.

And then this Conan thing. It's fun, but like 80% of its lifeblood is fun cameos.

If anything Allison does is going to be a solid hit with a growing readership, it will be a project that doesn't feel too tied to his incomprehensible gordian knot of a back catalogue, that starts with a spark of inspiration and then keeps going, and is all available in the same format.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I was really excited for a second, but I don't see that on the website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think that's "legal print" from Saoshyant, and John Allison still isn't fighting the c&d.