Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Da-na-na-na da-na-na-na da-na-na-na da-na-na-na Esther!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Something about Allison's conversational style means that his characters slot right into any genre venue, in much the same way that Scooby-Doo can smoothly cross over with basically anything.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 16, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I don't remember Susan being this horny

I think she had a powerful energy that was usually submerged in the various stages of her obsessive relationship with McGraw.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I see the Riddler has become the Wriggler

Oh, you're right; that is why he's a caterpillar.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Baize never betrays" is my second-favorite joke in this series after "IT'S EXQUISITE."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That's a great trick.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, there's a romantical Steeple special available via Gumroad or Patreon called "Reverend in Love" for anybody who wanted to see Rev. Penrose with his shirt off, or to ponder what it would be like if Shelley Winters began pursuing a monster-battling vicar.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, I think it's definitely intentional that Claire has worked her irritation up with this woman up into burning hatred (flames... flames... the side of my face... licking.... heaving breaths) because she's unable to bring herself to take any of the much smaller steps needed to set boundaries before it turned into a bright red line.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They've identified Dean as a "problems nexus" which, if captured, will allow them access to a network of other people with problems that they can solve.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Because Dean is incapable of doing anything helpful on purpose.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ABC, indeed.

I admit the exact reason that this scheme was supposed to be productive got a little lost, but that's an excellent note to end on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I, too, had the first three Not On The Test Edition hardcovers and was sad not to get any more, so this is a big deal for me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Always. Back. Salt-shaker.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I find it weirder that Nero's idiocy is so informed when he fits in perfectly with the expectations and mannerisms of everybody else in the story, let alone the setting. :v:

Being dumb in comics is always kind of an informed trait. I've been reading A Girl and Her Fed lately and been nonplussed by the teenage "himbo" who, honestly, strikes me as a perfectly intelligent lad who just doesn't share the priorities of the adults around him, and I'm not really sure whether the author is doing this on purpose or not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I never thought I'd say this, but you can at least say this for Scott Pilgrim's musical career: he did in fact own a musical instrument and seemed interested in playing it well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sooner or later she'll figure out that she can effortlessly win by walking through them. there's a reason why the reavers were introduced after she left the x-men.

I mean, they could try dodging. It's not like she's the only mutant with a power that amounts to "if I can touch you I win."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

it would appear that they did not try dodging

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's interesting that basically every Satanist in the comic except Magus Tom seems to be a basically decent person just out there doing what they wilt, but the actual Satanic supernatural forces are pretty much just straight-up evil.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Huh, I was sorry that the Giant Days hardcover kickstarter didn't have a tier for hardback and PDF, but it looks like the hardback tiers included PDF because I just got my links yesterday.

Dang, they're about a gigabyte each.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I tried opening one in Calibre and it did this extremely weird thing where pages loaded without speech bubbles. Firefox has to think extremely hard before loading each page.

Yeah, although SumatraPDF loads it fine, which is what people should be using on Windows.

Honestly, I'm still waiting for the day we finally get to move on from PDF.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I likewise got to complete my Not On The Test Edition set, which was very nice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It looks like Boom! is organizing a reprint of the Not on the Test hardcovers from the Kickstarter because the material used for the new covers didn't exactly match the originals (it's smoother).

I noticed the difference but didn't really care that much. Still, it's nice that Boom is putting so much effort into making sure everybody is satisfied.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If these two witches had brains, they'd be signficantly less dangerous.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would be somewhat fitting for Magus Tom to finally get everything ready to set his long-awaited scheme for... doing some sort of evil thing... in motion, only to find that whatever he was planning to do is now irrelevant because the status quo completely changed under his nose and the Reverend has left town to fight space robots or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Those two witches really are just the absolute worst.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, that would leave them alone in the house with Billie and Maggie.

Honestly I feel like these two really ought to be considered legitimate targets for violence, given that they're actively using dark magic to hurt people. Either there's laws against that and they should be in jail, or there aren't and they're the kind of thing the Reverend should be burying in the backyard.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A lot of stuff in Steeple kind of gives me a feeling of "if this is the kind of thing that can actually happen in this world, people should probably be less blindsided by it."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I guess this version doesn't have the strip where Rachel murders Will with her devil powers, presumably in order to explain why he never appears again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

On review, I think the biggest problem I had with Steeple is that the supernatural elements seem to be so real and pervasive that it's weird that the characters aren't taking them more seriously.

Like, the Reverend was just sexually assaulted! By witches, who use their genuine Satan-derived magical powers to do evil!* But the people in the comic seem to regard them as "a really intolerable and annoying pair of women" rather than "a serious threat to life and limb that we should really do something about". Like, I feel like this is a matter for the police! And if the police won't arrest you for witchcraft, you should probably consider burning them at the stake!

* not to mention "vaguely well-intentioned deeds that are so capricious as to be indistinguishable from evil"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly I feel like this isn't really something Billie should be trying to keep secret.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, ultimately, "I got hexed into doing something against my nature" is either a real excuse or it isn't. If it is, she shouldn't have a problem, and if it isn't, she probably shouldn't be working here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Just got the last issue of Steeple. This one is going to be quite a banger as people read through it, dang.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I will never be able to figure out what anybody's accent in Scary Go Round is supposed to sound like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"That's not the baby Jesus way" is a phrase I often use in real life. I'm also a big fan of "That is the ultimate insult to my existence."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

One of my gripes with Steeple was that it's kind of unclear to what degree people accept that any of this stuff is actually going on. The biggest example of this, was, of course, the hipster witches, who have committed quite a few no-poo poo crimes using their magical powers, but nobody really seems to consider the possibility of them seeing justice either under normal-person law or supernatural-vigilante law.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is this a good impression of what her from the Cranberries is actually like, by the way?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aw.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

things are going to change

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Bad enough that if you don't save me, I may stop breathing and require burial" is another line that's lived in my head rent-free waiting for an excuse to be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I wonder how Bob Crowley would hold up if he wound up appearing in modern-day Steeple.