Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A recent Vice Grip Garage involves a '77 Dodge pickup with the same engine and carb. For your entertainment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcAHeO08qCk

I'm only 15 minutes in, so I don't know if he gets into the carb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

sir, that's a fuel make it happener

I'm aware.
It'll be fine. <shakes head> No. It won't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That floor is looking a lot better.
Yeah, the rust converter is a good idea.
A good epoxy primer is also not a bad idea - it seals up any rust away from air and moisture, so effectively stops it where it is.

For the seat, if you want to be cost effective, and have some fabrication skill for brackets, you can acquire bucket seats out of something else and just use those until you can afford to mess with what's in there. One thing to note is that you will need seats out of a coupe if you wan to easily access the rear seat. I've run into that issue on my previous 2-door Jeep Cherokee, where a prior owner installed 4-door Grand Cherokee seats. No flip/fold forward feature.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

The first hurdle is that someone decided that it was a good idea to weld the steering wheel instead of using, say a nut on the bolt.

What in the… why would you do that? Wow.

quote:

So as you all can see this escalated a bit, but I'd rather take it back to a level where I won't be annoyed at myself for not going a bit further. Going to take longer, but looking forward to learning poo poo along the way.

It always escalates. Don’t worry about it. All you can do is decide what’s important, and do that. It does get frustrating, that’s for sure.
Work on the stuff that makes the car drivable and livable first. Cosmetics second, unless it’s easy and cheap. To be honest, though, sometimes a quick project to make something look nice does a lot for the morale. :)

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nice!
My visors are pretty much intact except the PO have splattered glue all over them. If I could get the glue stains off them, they would be pretty much OEM except for some pitting on the chrome clips. They are black though. To be honest, the different paints etc on this car is super confusing. Even parts that generally don't get replaced have weird colour layers.

Maybe look into vinyl dye if the glue is t ruining the texture. Color change is fairly easy. Paint and body shops do this all the time - one may be willing to do a color change for you if you don’t want to/don’t have the equipment ( the best stuff uses spray guns.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fluxcore welding is pretty easy, but just because it is what it is, it's tougher on thin stuff. MIG allows you to use a thinner wire with a bit lower amperage, and probably some cooling effect of the gas helps. I literally didn't even open the wire that came with my cheap fluxcore welder, instead going straight to Miller welding wire as recommended by veterans, hopefully making my experience better.
I've since upgraded to a medium tier MIG (older Hobart 120V machine) and it welds so much nicer when I don't forget to turn on the gas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Excellent. Let the flurry of rebuilding commence!
Or maybe a slow trickle with bursts of mild flow, like mine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd say I'm in that same burst of mild flow category. I've been practicing welding some and am getting better at it. I finally decided to put the front up on jack stands in preparation for pulling the gearbox and engine, and to get a better view of the stuff I'm welding. Big oof though:

I kinda saw this when I went to look at the car, but not how bad it was. The way the car sat made it hard to examine it properly, and I was kinda hoping that it either was the undercoating that had been dripping, or a repair that was good but looked ugly. I didn't bring my calipers, but a rough estimation is that the thickness should be about 2mm?
Looking at it closer, it seems like someone probably just welded some metal over the rust holes... I'm thinking that I'll probably remove the engine and transmission first to reduce the load on the rails, and the either weld 3 separate pieces in an U shape (one at a time) or perhaps shape one pice into a U shape and weld it on. The latter is probably much better for strength, but I'm worried about the rail getting weak when cutting the bad parts out and bending.

I think that area of the "frame rail" just gets smacked a lot when driven, or people like to put jacks or jack stands there (incorrectly) - my RX-7 is pretty bent up there, too. That may not be rust - possibly just an attempt to strengthen it. I'd still probably grind back those welds and take a look to see what was there and what was done, at least on one side.

quote:

I don't get this:

This can't be right?

There should be a flat cover plate there:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tor...sclient=gws-wiz

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

This project so far has been a roller coaster where I get to the car and see the tons of work needed which almost makes me want to give up, but then I just go "gently caress it" and start doing something and just relax. This is supposed to be something for fun, not work, and once I put myself in that mindset and just go with the flow it really is super enjoyable and low stress. Even stuff like using hand tools despite it taking longer is pretty relaxing.

This is pretty much the key to this kind of work.
It also helps to make a list on a big piece of cardboard of posterboard (like on Roadkill, or other YT car shows) so you can see both what needs to be done, and what you have actually accomplished. A basic Project Management concept, really.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My RX-7 rusted in a similar area of the cowl on both sides, which was a real pain, since there was *also* a brace welded over that area. I was just able to see the rust through some lightening holes in the brace. I'm glad I looked and found it, though. At least I didn't have to worry about the hood hinges, what with the reverse opening hood and all.
Those welds look to be about my skill level. You could grind those back to flush, but it they're under the fender, who really cares as long as they are solid.

I may have mentioned it before, but a good rust converter is a must when dealing with all this stuff. You may have already used some, but if not, do so, especially anywhere where you aren't completely carving out the old sheet metal. The good stuff leaves a nice phosphate coating that will continue to prevent rust, and provides a decent base for paint.

I hate rust, and will take every opportunity to crush it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Just to keep the thread out of the archives (no idea what the time limit is). Not much progress during my vacation as I've had to prioritize the family home where the car is at. Leaking roof, mold creeping in, no heated water and now the water meter snapped off so there is no water at all. Makes it hard to work on a car. I've spent some time organizing the garage and bought a parts washer (where has this thing been all my life).
Hopefully the roof with be redone soon, and we can sort out the water and redo what needs to be done. We are planning a big renovation of the house. As soon as the house is livable again it'll be much easier to work on the car as well.

That seems to be the way of things - particularly during vacations.
I believe others have noted that there currently is *no* auto-archive, ever since SA was purchased from Lowtax.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I use zinc primer for small areas I happen to be working on, but if I'm going to be spraying a large area, I prefer the catalyzed epoxy primer that literally seals everything up an d just straight up prevents moisture from getting to the metal in the first place.
The downside, of course, is that it's 2-part and has to be mixed and spray, whereas zinc primer can come in spray bombs. Hence my choices for which to use.
One can also do the epoxy primer over the zinc, if I'm not mistaken?

I have seen the 2-part paints in special spray cans, but they're significantly more expensive. Neat, but expensive, and you have to use them in a certain period due to pot life once catalyzed.

I should note that I don't live in a particularly rust-prone area (North end of Texas, USA - inland, short winter with very rare salting) so I can get away with a lot more basic rust proofing. I just hate rust and never want to see it again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

If the existing primer is that tough, I'd be inclined to leave it. Sounds like it may be itself epoxy. Maybe give it a good scuff so whatever you spray next sticks, but if it's doing it's job and you have no evidence of bad things under it...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Those look pretty good!

The extent of my upholstery work so far has been very simple covering, or applying still-good factory vinyl onto new backing (the boards on my '87 Corolla were water damaged, but the actual upholstery was still fine.
A tip on the glue I got from some videos on YT from a guy who does custom work: use vinyl top glue. It's more difficult to use than a spray can, but it's designed to hold an old-school vinyl top on the outside of a car for years in all kinds of weather. The caveat is that once it's stuck, oh boy is it stuck.
Comes in a paint can. It's supposed to be sprayed through a spray gun, but can be brushed or rolled just fine.

The stuff I got was this:
DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive Landau Top & Trim
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Weldwood-Solvent-Adhesive-070798-002333/dp/B004IH3HAQ
but I'm sure there's something similar where you are.

It's a contact adhesive, so has to be applied to both pieces and allowed to dry a bit, as I recall. Works with foam, fabric, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, that looks pretty darn good.
I'm sure you're correct on the foam - upholstery foam intended for shaping is pretty stiff. I have some "craft foam" from craft store that would probably work great for the ridges.
Typically, you use the stiff foam for shapes, then put a layer of thin soft foam over the whole thing to smooth it out. I bought some headliner foam with cloth that was on clearance that does an excellent job for that. Used it between the hardboard and original vinyl on my Corolla door panels, since the original foam that was bonded to the vinyl was disintegrating. They do sell just the bare light foam in various thicknesses that's fine, but the headliner (1.8", I think. About 3 mm?) was cheaper on clearance, and worked really well.

I use a 10'x10' pop up canopy to work on stuff outdoors - makes a huge difference in the Texas sun, or rain. An enclosed tent would be all kinds of nice, with some lighting. A couple 4' (do they come in 1.2m, or do they just go to 1.5m in metric countries?) LED strips would do the deed.
I have a garage-sized (10' x 20', so about the same size as yours) with sides, just nowhere really to put it at the moment. Well, I mean, I can put it up, but there's another car already where it would need to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, it's pretty much law that a transmission will pee everywhere. Especially when you think it's empty. Same with a pulled engine.