Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

A recent Vice Grip Garage involves a '77 Dodge pickup with the same engine and carb. For your entertainment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcAHeO08qCk

I'm only 15 minutes in, so I don't know if he gets into the carb.

sir, that's a fuel make it happener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Small update and as a bit of reminder to myself:

So we should finally have water (and hot water) back this or next week, which means that with the cooler temperatures it's time to get back into the project. I'm going to try to grind the whole engine bay and get it coated in zinc primer and then sort out the bits of metal where the fenders sit and get them welded in. I also need to remove the gearbox) I probably won't be removing the sub-frame until later as I might well have to move the car in case we can actually get hold of someone to do the roof during the fall. If not, I'm taking that stuff out so I can see what I'm working with. I've been doing a bit of paint / bondo removal on one of the fenders in-between other stuff, and it was pretty caked on. Hopefully I can panel beat it some to get it better before I need bondo. I don't like that the panels have separated in places though, so will have to figure out how to fix it in a way to isn't too much of a hack job.

Also been doing more research when it comes to putting in other chairs. I think I will need to put the original seats (all of them) in order to get the car registered as it needs to be in original condition (apart from cosmetics). I guess I'll have to do my best to lessen the stink, and cover them up with some cloth or something. After it's registered and has passed the final inspection I shouldn't get much hassle since the car is old enough to not be included in seat belt laws etc etc.

When it comes to priming, since 95% of the metal I've ground back so far has been clean (some places have pitting I can't get at without removing too much metal), I'm thinking Zinc primer should be fine... right? I think I mentioned I have epoxy mastic 2 component primer that can go over it, but I'm wondering if this is the best option for all areas or if I should save it for the areas with heavier wear. What would you guys recommend for priming the engine bay / behind fenders etc?

you'll want to use an etching primer or the epoxy on any bare metal. As long as it says etching or bare metal on it, you'll be ok. I'd only use rattle can etching primer on small spots. Anything more, use an epoxy. The general rule is epoxy->body work->spot prime->sealer->topcoat. Some body guys will claim they prefer to body work on bare metal, but the manufacturers say to prime first. So I'd scuff down the engine bay/inner fenders and spray the entire thing with epoxy (if all bare metal)/urethane primer. The existing primer on the car should be ok if it's not cracking. Just scuff it down with 220ish grit and spray over it. Then you'll block it/primer it 30 times to make it smooth. Wet block it to about 400/600G (depending if you're going with an effect color or a solid color), and it'll be ready for topcoat of base/clear or a single stage urethane.