Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

this thread is about us learning to understand scotland

The only thing I need to know about Scotland is what I can eat and what i can gently caress.

Also where some decent shopping and tourist locations are.
Also hotel recommendations.
Some historical and cultural information and a general sense of the country's ethos.

Otherwise though, NOTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I was able to go to Scotland in 2003 for our HS band trip and it was pretty loving rad. Highlights of the trip were

- Eating haggis, which I found somewhat gritty in texture and heavy on black pepper, but overall enjoyable.
- Playing at Edinburgh Castle
- Buying a scarf with my family's clan tartan
- Playing another concert where I had to instrument swap a few times between Tuba and Bari Sax. My teacher let me wear the scarf I bought during it too.
- Visiting St. Andrews. The golf course isn't really all that special to look at.
- Playing a jazz concert.
- Being told that we should use all our Bank of Scotland issued notes before we went to London because I guess they were widely counterfeited.
- Trying to grasp the idea that sales tax didn't exist in some places.
- Hearing people talk in Scots and having no loving clue what the gently caress they were saying.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Big Beef City posted:

The only thing I need to know about Scotland is what I can eat and what i can gently caress

The sheep

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nam Taf posted:

Your tongue tasted wrong.

Dude, you like your whiskey to taste of burned mud, I'm not the one with defective tastebuds.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

posting scottish babes is highly encouraged. studs for those who like fellas as well.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
All right let's see here

What do these prices mean? Serious question I don't understand

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nam Taf posted:

The sheep

Isn't that more a Welsh thing

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Big Beef City posted:

The only thing I need to know about Scotland is what I can eat and what i can gently caress.

wow gonna send this post to Mrs. BBC and see what she thinks!!!!!!!!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

First, do you know what fitbaw is?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm guessing the main stand is £1 on top of the other ticket prices. So if you're an adult in the main stand you pay £10.

Most lower league grounds are mainly terraced, with one main stand that has seats and a roof. £1 not to have to stand for 90 minutes and get rained on is a bargain imo.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

- Being told that we should use all our Bank of Scotland issued notes before we went to London because I guess they were widely counterfeited.

Not really, English shopkeepers are just arses about accepting Scottish and NI money. Though London is normally ok

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Concessions = auld yins

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

jazzyhattrick posted:

I'm guessing the main stand is £1 on top of the other ticket prices. So if you're an adult in the main stand you pay £10.

Most lower league grounds are mainly terraced, with one main stand that has seats and a roof. £1 not to have to stand for 90 minutes and get rained on is a bargain imo.

What is "Concessions"?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

for fucks sake posted:

Concessions = auld yins

...Senior and Child discount?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

AARD VARKMAN posted:

...Senior and Child discount?

Aye ah hink so

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Would could it mean? What could any of it mean?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Wan at the boatom's a ceilidh, dinnae hae a scooby aboot the rest

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

bitterandtwisted posted:

Not really, English shopkeepers are just arses about accepting Scottish and NI money. Though London is normally ok

I think that's just we were told to cover for the fact that the English are just super racist, in hindsight.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

do all scotspeople say "stunning" like gordo ramsay does

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

sugar free jazz posted:

do all scotspeople say "stunning" like gordo ramsay does

Mibbe no all ey us. Ah'd usually prefix it wae "pure" masel.

"That's pure stunnin, eh?"

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I would like to go to a Burns supper one day.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
rectum? drat near kilt'em!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Infidel Castro posted:

It's more because every country in the UK issues its own bank notes and it can make people in London (aka the centre of the Universe) twitchy when they see them, even though they're all pounds sterling.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

do scots care about belle & sebastian ?

I had tickets to see them and was sad it was delayed until November, but generally, as a people, no more than any other twee indie-pop band. Scotland are surprisingly good at those, like The Pastels, Randolph's Leap and The Vaselines!

naem
May 29, 2011

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

for fucks sake posted:

Mibbe no all ey us. Ah'd usually prefix it wae "pure" masel.

"That's pure stunnin, eh?"

Scots is fun to speak out loud

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I had a one night stand with a Scottish tourist once. It was nice.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

That'll be nice when someone cooks it.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

bitterandtwisted posted:

there is nothing more Scottish than yelling IT'S LEGAL TENDER at an English shopkeeper

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ruby Gloom posted:

there is nothing more Scottish than yelling IT'S LEGAL TENDER at an English shopkeeper

The only reason the cliche about Scottish people being tramps in London exists is because perfectly wealthy Scottish people have been made destitute by the sudden devaluation of their money when they step off the train in London.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BKcjBaKRkk

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Whizzing Wizard posted:

do scots care about belle & sebastian ?

Belle and Sebastian are doss

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/GzYm3ig7tak

naem fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2022

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-ZTdsH_Vc

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwet6xL5n7Y

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How can I, an American, visit Scotland in a way that won't make the entire country think Im an enormous shithead, which I assume is what you think of all tourists

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Who What Now posted:

How can I, an American, visit Scotland in a way that won't make the entire country think Im an enormous shithead, which I assume is what you think of all tourists

from what i understand of scotland, thinking people are enormous shitheads and telling them so, is actually how they display affection

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

glasgow and edinburgh are one hour from each other and have totally different accents.

i go east and everyone talks in a mystical sing song style and i am something called a 'weegie' whatever that is.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
show everyone how good offa scotch accent you can do

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
discovering more Scottish delicacies

Haggis Nachos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Who What Now posted:

this isn't really true here, even in city centres. scotland's got a pretty deep inferiority complex built into the culture due to england and being small in general so when tourists start throwing their exciting foreign accents around it's generally taken as a compliment you deigned to visit at all.

might be different in really busy tourist spots in edinburgh but i've worked in hotels a lot and generally it's like oh an american very nice, very nice