Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Um. You might want to replace Sig with Behruz Khorasani on your council. 8 more intrigue on a person who will hate you far less. Seeing a spymaster with -40something opinion makes my anxiety go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Pretty bold to take a duel when your family has exactly two heirs, one being a child, and the other, though not nearly as incompetent as his mother thought, still only has a 5 personal diplomacy. I don't think we've seen his spouse's adult stats yet, which could have a huge influence on his court.

First order of business: Don't get assassinated. Luckily, he has two traits that make him harder to kill.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Honestly, not that bad. Sure, she's a deceitful, lazy coward, but she likes us, and either boosts our best stat or shores up a crucial weakness.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I basically never marry for stats either, but that doesn't mean I won't leverage the ones I wind up with.

This is more to shed some light on CK3's incomprehensible game-play for the audience, rather than to offer advice to Crisis Now---I quite enjoy the narrative being crafted and don't want to get in the way of it. But being just enough of a warrior (four levels) to win the heart and respect of our honorable, brave, and dutiful wife (who is none of those things and that's why we love her), and then focusing on either Stewardship or Intrigue long enough to fill their stat-focused tree would yield at minimum +13 Stewardship or +15 intrigue. (It would also net +7 prowess... 4 of which you'd even get to keep)

Which isn't to say either would be the best thing that our new king can spend his life on, but it does illustrate to people trying to learn the game how important the lifestyle trees (including capstone traits) are, as well as what kind of an impact spouses can have on a character. And finally, just how much experience trumps just about everything in this game. If a ruler is allowed to hold the throne for a few decades, it's hard for them not to become a powerhouse. Also important are a character's personality traits. Since King Gormr is Impatient, he has a decision available every 2 years to expedite his schemes, as well as +15% scheme power. So, while far from a natural born talent at the clandestine arts, if Gormr dedicated his life to them, (and to his spouse) he could realistically have 21 (and very likely it would be higher) intrigue and the ability to expedite his schemes, of which, he'd be able to undertake two at once. Not bad at all for his third lowest stat. Without his spouse, of course, he'd be much worse off. Completing the intrigue tree would give him about +8 intrigue, for a total of 14. Not bad, but not nearly as enticing. But the possibility of +5 from the spouse (which would be +7 with loyalty and respect) makes a substantial difference in Gormr's potential.

What if he wanted to go a different way? His mother seemed to think of him a weak dolt that would be cut down by a boy half his age. Is she right? Well, 6 prowess is certainly nothing special. But what if he focused his life on being a warrior? Well, if he completed the Gallantry tree, dedicated his life to Chivalry, and inherited his mother's spear, he'd eventually hit +14 prowess. That's if he bothers to complete Gallantry. If he only wants to be a warrior and dip his toe into one level of gallantry, and inherited the spear, he'll still hit +10 prowess. So he'd still be at a very respectable 16 prowess almost immediately, even if he wanted to be an overseer or strategist. This is 1 point shy of the game rating him as an excellent warrior. (And, incidentally, it is one point higher than the man who killed Alva) Gallantry is the tree that has Loyalty and Respect, so, if he did dedicate his life to the spear, he'd still get +7 to either stewardship or intrigue, thanks to marrying the right woman. His martial, stewardship, intrigue, and prowess could all realistically become excellent, and a combination of two of them could realistically become good. I'm near-certain that if he went into the very gamey and somewhat opposed ideological paths of gallantry and torture (not the most role-play friendly combination, that) he could realistically sustain excellent (probably above 20, even) intrigue and prowess at the same time. (And come very close to that in martial)

Anyhow, the long and short of it is, despite Gormr's best stats being the low end of what the game deems average, now that he's in charge and can purchase lifestyle perks, and now that he can actually seek assistance from his spouse, he has got the potential to be a great monarch in his own right. And if he manages to rule as long as his mother did, he will be. Alva completed one tree in her field of study and came drat close to finishing a tree in an unrelated field.

This is why the mini-game some people play of creating genetic supermen makes no sense to me. It's both less time consuming and more rewarding to make a "bad" ruler into a legend. And if you can roleplay that "bad" ruler while doing so, that's the sweet spot of what makes Crusader Kings such a great game series.

Also, just a random correction of myself: I previously stated our spouse was a lazy, deceitful coward.--she's not. She's an arrogant, deceitful coward. I always confuse Arrogant with Lazy, because of the crossed feet. Something about the crossed feet screams "lazy!" to me, instead of arrogant. It's my least favorite trait picture.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 27, 2022