Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dolash posted:

Thanks for all the effortposting about allies! I learned a lot. My Brettonian army got repulsed by Settra at the Black Pyramid, but then I called up four units of dwarf warriors to toughen up my front line and beat them on the second try!

I've never played out a Repanse campaign before and it's pretty interesting, I was on such a forced-march responding to Skarbrand and Beastmen and Mannfred that I basically never had time to consolidate or strengthen my army enough to roll.

Now it's all either mine or my Dwarf/Empire/Lizardmen allies', and I'm not entirely sure which way to go next. North of Khemri is all inhospitable wastelands that I razed, I already conquered Sarcosa, maybe it's time to liberate the southern old world? Or try to go home and confederate Brettonnia? What's the general advice on a Repanse late-game?

The problem with repanse and the Brett factions writ large is that they kind of don't have an endgame aside from getting a big wad of chivalry and doing the final battle. Oops all calvary is a fun way to play so long as you don't get jammed up in city battles, but I kind of wish they had room for more play styles.

The secret is that Brett doesn't have supply line penalties, so you can recruit a ton of lords without upping your upkeep in order to just follow your main armies around and soak up exp and grail vow objectives on the cheap. Then when you need to spin up capital A-armies you have a stable of lords ready to recruit high tier cav.

My last game before the new dlc is going back to play Isabella Von Carstein again. I forgot how absolutely disgusting Mean Girl Air Force gets when you have six or seven vampire heroes in the army plus Vlad. If you can't beat it in a straight up fight, get them to clump up and drop a pit of shades or purple sun on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also for Bret allied lords also get some chivalry for participating so you can supercharge your chivalry gains and speed up that whole grind by having a flock of lords all moving together.

Just be careful around skaven.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't realize that about the Bretonnian supply lines! I absolutely should've been training up a couple lords!

If there's no strict next step for Repanse after mopping up the deserts, maybe I'll just relocate to Sarcosa and do the Crusader Navy thing for a while. Plenty to fight radiating out from there, just not a lot of obvious expansion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeathSandwich posted:

The secret is that Brett doesn't have supply line penalties, so you can recruit a ton of lords without upping your upkeep in order to just follow your main armies around and soak up exp and grail vow objectives on the cheap. Then when you need to spin up capital A-armies you have a stable of lords ready to recruit high tier cav.
One thing to note here (for other readers, I assume you know this DeathSandwich) is that for Bwettonia there are not supply line penalties increasing your global upkeep, but you do still have to pay upkeep for the lord. Just saying this since its not free, but its still worth it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jokes posted:

Frontline? As Bretonnia?

Some peasant nonsense.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Do you take me for a churl????

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Cythereal posted:

In the End Times books, Imrik joined the dark elves because he was that personally pissed off at Tyrion and Teclis.

I don't know enough about that High Elf lore to see intuit if that's actually awful lore or not ,I admit.

Also quick mechanics question: When deciding to declare war on someone in a defensive pact, does the distance or even knowing wherein that other member of the pact is have any bearing on the calculation? Can I ally the dwarfs and expect that to have an affect on say, Dark Elf factions?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SkySteak posted:

I don't know enough about that High Elf lore to see intuit if that's actually awful lore or not ,I admit.

Also quick mechanics question: When deciding to declare war on someone in a defensive pact, does the distance or even knowing wherein that other member of the pact is have any bearing on the calculation? Can I ally the dwarfs and expect that to have an affect on say, Dark Elf factions?

End Times made it that Malekith was the real, true Phoenix King this entire time, who just didn't stay in the flames quite long enough, and every one after has been a fake helped with magic. Thus basically all the High Elves immediately joined him bar Tyrion and supporters - if I correctly recall what people have said, Teclis joined as well. No clue about Imrik, but I could definitely see the hacks making up some reason for him to join up. Because of course literally everyone just immediately ignores that he's been murdering them for thousands of years, this makes sense.

Yes, this was all incredibly stupid, and the elf storyline for End Times is absolutely in the running for utter worst storyline in a story event that was utterly filled with garbage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SkySteak posted:

Are you asking if allying a faction far away will impact a different faction's willingness to declare on you (and if distance is a factor in this)? If so, my gut feeling says "lol, no". Because if the AI wants a fight with you, it gives zero fucks about who you are allied to. The diplomatic AI is so poorly programmed/designed that it just does whatever the hell it wants with no penalty or player recourse.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you asking if allying a faction far away will impact a different faction's willingness to declare on you (and if distance is a factor in this)? If so, my gut feeling says "lol, no". Because if the AI wants a fight with you, it gives zero fucks about who you are allied to. The diplomatic AI is so poorly programmed/designed that it just does whatever the hell it wants with no penalty or player recourse.

Figured as much, albeit having a defensive pact just for Dwarf allegiance troops might be nice, esp with the bonuses to point generation you get from one tree.

quote:

End Times made it that Malekith was the real, true Phoenix King this entire time, who just didn't stay in the flames quite long enough, and every one after has been a fake helped with magic. Thus basically all the High Elves immediately joined him bar Tyrion and supporters - if I correctly recall what people have said, Teclis joined as well. No clue about Imrik, but I could definitely see the hacks making up some reason for him to join up. Because of course literally everyone just immediately ignores that he's been murdering them for thousands of years, this makes sense.

Yes, this was all incredibly stupid, and the elf storyline for End Times is absolutely in the running for utter worst storyline in a story event that was utterly filled with garbage

Thank you for answering this. I suppose it does lead into another question on my mind which is simply, (and this is more of a pure lore question I suppose), but what is/was the appeal of the Dark Elves to people anyway? With all the horrors of skaven, you have the relentless masses/various technology, along with the silliness, with Orcs you have a good portion of the 40k style comedy and I suppose the martial aspects, and with Chaos you do get the cool 'evil overlord' and 'burn it all' vibes too. However Dark Elves have always come across as just kinda horrible without anything to make you put up with it. I suppose you have the pirate aspect which I can get?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i don't know anything about end times stuff but this is how i imagine it.

elf #1:"Torture Lord is our new king. all hail Torture Lord."
elf #2: "i don't know how i feel about swearing allegience to a guy named the Tortu-"
elf #1 "FLAY HIM"

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

SkySteak posted:

Figured as much, albeit having a defensive pact just for Dwarf allegiance troops might be nice, esp with the bonuses to point generation you get from one tree.

Thank you for answering this. I suppose it does lead into another question on my mind which is simply, (and this is more of a pure lore question I suppose), but what is/was the appeal of the Dark Elves to people anyway? With all the horrors of skaven, you have the relentless masses/various technology, along with the silliness, with Orcs you have a good portion of the 40k style comedy and I suppose the martial aspects, and with Chaos you do get the cool 'evil overlord' and 'burn it all' vibes too. However Dark Elves have always come across as just kinda horrible without anything to make you put up with it. I suppose you have the pirate aspect which I can get?

When in doubt the answer is always boobs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

What's the general advice on a Repanse late-game?

Punch people for chivalry.

That's pretty much it, Bretonnia's victory conditions are unusually free-form (unless you're using VCO) and just ask you to go on adventures. Once you've secured your immediate surroundings you're free to go wherever you want and punch whoever you want, all the non-Order factions give you chivalry for beating them up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The stuff about Malekith being the true Phoenix King got retconned into a trick by Morathi in AoS, so everyone who went along with it was just an idiot for believing it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SkySteak posted:

The important thing to remember is that High Elves and Dark Elves really are a lot closer than you think philosophically. Both of them start from the philosophy that they are better than everyone else. Where they split is that high elves launch that into "therefore we need to police our lessers" and dark elves just skip that part and go straight to "therefore we should enslave them for our amusement" .

It's colonialist Brittain vs Chattel slavery America basically. Both are pretty objectively moral evils, but one is more easily handwaved away as culturally high brow. Don't look too hard behind the curtains.

The dark elves and to a lesser extent the wood elves are at least up front in how they are monstrous.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SkySteak posted:

but what is/was the appeal of the Dark Elves to people anyway?

Any form of Elf favoritism is derangement do not look for sense amongst the elf-likers

Imrik gets a pass because he's the only elf honest about his elfness.

(they were fun to play on tabletop for a good few editions and the over the top evil is fun for some folks, much like Dark Eldar, with the added benefit of being one of the only evil factions that isn't just trying to explode the world. And also the pirates, yes)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
both are true

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Any form of Elf favoritism is derangement do not look for sense amongst the elf-likers

Imrik gets a pass because he's the only elf honest about his elfness.

(they were fun to play on tabletop for a good few editions and the over the top evil is fun for some folks, much like Dark Eldar, with the added benefit of being one of the only evil factions that isn't just trying to explode the world. And also the pirates, yes)

Imrik absolutely does not get a pass because he looks like Steve Buschemi got a role in an off-Broadway production of The Lord Of The Rings.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

orangelex44 posted:

When in doubt the answer is always boobs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imrik's lines in tw are legit some of the funniest in the game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Pirates, big beast heavy armies supported by elite troops, purple is a good color. Very powerful lords.

Malekith is a fucker, but you can kinda get how he fell down the hole like he did.

A hyperfocus on another race of fuckers.

Realistically it's that they fill a niche, which is the problem the Dark Eldar have suffered far worse from. Skaven are hordes of chaff/machines. Chaos is a few extremely powerful models. Orcs get the silly and take the chaff/elite troops angle + weird magic.

Dark Elves have extremely elite units across the board, supported by both weird magic/Sorceresses/Witch Elves, but also crazy beasts no other race gets. And while they do pirate poo poo towards the Empire/Bretonnia, realistically they don't care a ton about the Old World. They focus entirely on loving with High Elves and trying to conquer the donut.

This has also led to various situations where poo poo was getting -very bad- and the Dark Elf response was to actually back up the Empire/Bretonnia folks from a distance and then dip. Because unlike the Orcs/Chaos/Skaven they are an actual race that wants the world to stay pretty consistent. They provide a unique niche for the forces of Destruction in that if the chips actually did go down, they'd probably actually help out the Ordertide over burning the world down. They are the Lawful Evil faction, not the Evil Stupid. Can't conquer what doesn't exist anymore.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

JBP posted:

Imrik's lines in tw are legit some of the funniest in the game.

Beat me to it but Imrik’s lines are fantastic.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Delves also get baller velociraptor cataphracts, which is what sells the faction to me (even if they aren't that great in-game)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I think there's a very good chance that Neferata is close on the horizon, after getting a good look at the dwarfs' new legendary grudges. All of them involve taking down multiple LL-lead factions and their holdings, save one: taking the Silver Pinnacle and building a new landmark there that the dwarfs get, and the grudge specifically calls out Neferata as the target.

I think it's a safe bet that this one suspicious legendary grudge that asks you to wipe out a minor faction is a placeholder for a future major faction.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyCLHXbgwG0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beautiful

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

SkySteak posted:

They're elves but cool op

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The appeal of the dark elfs is that, until Tyrion's campaign in Warhammer 2, they were the only race in Warhammer that was actively killing high elfs.

The dark elfs are the Warhammer-equivalent of Larry David's spite store.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Norsca are so much more fun than WoC in campaign, they need an overhaul though. Seafang should be a teleporting base of operations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DeathSandwich posted:

Imrik absolutely does not get a pass because he looks like Steve Buschemi got a role in an off-Broadway production of The Lord Of The Rings.

first time seeing an elf huh

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

SkySteak posted:

So, boobs is the closest answer, but they came out originally in 2nd edition in 1987 from the UK (and were Night Elves originally iirc). They come out of that whole goth/industrial appeal scene going on, and the fact that warhammer came out of reaper, which came out of Citadel (co-founded by funding from GW in the late 70s) and GWs attack on the miniature market. They were publishing wargames and distributing D&D in the 70s/80s in the UK, and were initially going after those markets, but realized that they should be making games to drive the miniatures more because the margins on the little pewter men were wild. So there was a lot of "look at this sick as hell poo poo I made!" and then making up stories and lore to introduce those, not the other way around. It wasn't until Warhammer became really established as a brand that you started getting the planning ahead of lore + models + yada yada, and then its had ups and downs depending on how competent management is at the time (uncommon) and how insane shareholders are (very, most of the time).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Is there a good explainer for how armor, phys resist, and ward save interact?

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

From the top of my head, armour blocks a random amount between 50% and 100% of the Armour value of non-AP damage, Phys. Resist blocks the given value of non-Magical damage and Ward Save blocks the given percentage of all damage.
These all stack up to a maximum value of, I believe, 90%.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hellbore posted:

From the top of my head, armour blocks a random amount between 50% and 100% of the Armour value of non-AP damage, Phys. Resist blocks the given value of non-Magical damage and Ward Save blocks the given percentage of all damage.
These all stack up to a maximum value of, I believe, 90%.
Yeah. Armor cannot reduce damage below 1, but if you have 200 armor you will take only 1 damage from every source of damage that isn't armor-piercing. Ward and phys resist both cap at 90%. I think but am not sure that those percentage reductions also have a minimum damage of 1 similar to armor.

I forgot if fire counts as physical damage but I think it does.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

E: I was wrong

There are three damage types.

Fire damage is reduced by fire resistance and ward save
Magical damage is reduced by ward save
Physical damage is reduced by physical resist and ward save

Separately you have missile resist layered on top if its missile damage. Armor reduces all damage types except for AP damage.

The only way to reduce armor-piercing magical damage is ward save.

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 26, 2024

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Not quite, fire damage is a modifier on top of physical/magical damage, much like missile damage

A fireball is magic + fire, so add up spell resist, fire resist, and ward save, etc

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Muscle Tracer posted:

CA's rundown of damage types and how they interact

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MBIMH4DJE

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Francis posted:

Not quite, fire damage is a modifier on top of physical/magical damage, much like missile damage

A fireball is magic + fire, so add up spell resist, fire resist, and ward save, etc

Yeah you can have ward save, fire resistance, spell resistance and even missile resistance all reducing that casual fireball damage. I guess at least people can't ping them off their shields...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dark Elves are the designated Lawful Evil faction, they are the only villain faction that gets to play around with themes of organized societal evil as opposed to the loose knit warbands of Chaos and Orcs or the singular leader and a horde of mindless or semi-mindless puppets of the Undead. Chaos Dwarfs play in this space too but they weren't even in the game for several editions so Dark Elves got the niche all to themselves.

Plus who doesn't love goth girls in bikinis with knives?