Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Doesn't that just make them better then flame cannons and organ guns in their role?

So long as it's singleplayer only it's fine.

Malakai's flame cannons seem to get submunitions from his adventures. And his gyrocopters get trollhammers. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe it's grudge settler gyrocopters that get trollhammers, so all dwarfs can get them.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Cythereal posted:

My money is on Counts with Neferata being in the next DLC, on account of the dwarfs in Thrones of Decay getting a legendary grudge to wipe out the Lahmian Sisterhood, take the Silver Pinnacle, and build a monument there, with the flavor text specifically calling out Neferata as the target.

It's the only legendary grudge that doesn't demand you wipe out multiple LL factions. Call me suspicious.

Vampire counts are ripe for a rework and dlc like warriors of chaos, that focuses on bloodlines.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

gently caress Boris Toddbringer - Marius Lietdorf gang rise up!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

Vampire counts are ripe for a rework and dlc like warriors of chaos, that focuses on bloodlines.

The problem is that - going back to 6E army books and ignoring 8E - the VC bloodlines are very flavorful and support a lot of cool LLs and well-designed generic characters. But there really REALLY are not enough actual units left to implement to support a CoC-style release. CA would have to cook really hard with original units (and have GW sign off on that) for it to make sense.

It is my dream since I always played non-VC bloodlines on tabletop back then and loved Neferata/Zacharias/Walach Harkon, but I am also a realist lol.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I know GW is weird about it but backporting a few Age of Sigmar double undead units could cover the new toys design space nicely, Neferata will need the customary new LL +3 roster additions. Otherwise you've got the tried and true paths of expanding core functionality into existing units with variant equipment(Graveguard: Big Spears or Graveguard: Dual Wield or w/e) and/or bolting cool toys from other factions onto them. The current bloodline options for roster expansion are very tiny like 1 Crossbow/1 Rifleman for your entire faction, having bloodline splits that give you something like 3x3 or 3x5/5x3 choices to splash into your armies would be great.

Strigoi: Reskin cannibalistic Beastmen units, Ogre Gorgers, that kinda thing. More beastial monster mash in my monster mash faction.

Necrarch: Unholy variants of other big magic devices. Lizardman artillery piece but the dinosaur is an animated skeleton. Luminarch wagon but it's purple and evil. Chaos Dwarf artillery piece that shoots bones. Wizard poo poo.

Lahmian: Reskin and sneak in some hyper elitist Elf duelists with fancy rear end swords. Also it's right there in the name(or fantasy adjacent monster design space) so borrow some Delf Gorgons.

Von Carstein: More Evil Empire. Keep it limited so at best you can make one unironic VC ranged stack for single player or spread it thin across many stacks but yeah you get the idea.

Blood Dragon: Bret big units but red and evil. Blood Grail Knights. "Blood Knights already do that" ok fine, Blood Knight variants or move current BKs down a tier and make new tier 5 power curve setters.

Obligatory: Option for Vampire Coast.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
vampire counts are at the end of the day monster mash generic undead, it wouldn't be to hard for new units to be made, nor would it be the first time.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Doomykins posted:

I know GW is weird about it but backporting a few Age of Sigmar double undead units could cover the new toys design space nicely, Neferata will need the customary new LL +3 roster additions. Otherwise you've got the tried and true paths of expanding core functionality into existing units with variant equipment(Graveguard: Big Spears or Graveguard: Dual Wield or w/e) and/or bolting cool toys from other factions onto them. The current bloodline options for roster expansion are very tiny like 1 Crossbow/1 Rifleman for your entire faction, having bloodline splits that give you something like 3x3 or 3x5/5x3 choices to splash into your armies would be great.

Strigoi: Reskin cannibalistic Beastmen units, Ogre Gorgers, that kinda thing. More beastial monster mash in my monster mash faction.

Necrarch: Unholy variants of other big magic devices. Lizardman artillery piece but the dinosaur is an animated skeleton. Luminarch wagon but it's purple and evil. Chaos Dwarf artillery piece that shoots bones. Wizard poo poo.

Lahmian: Reskin and sneak in some hyper elitist Elf duelists with fancy rear end swords. Also it's right there in the name(or fantasy adjacent monster design space) so borrow some Delf Gorgons.

Von Carstein: More Evil Empire. Keep it limited so at best you can make one unironic VC ranged stack for single player or spread it thin across many stacks but yeah you get the idea.

Blood Dragon: Bret big units but red and evil. Blood Grail Knights. "Blood Knights already do that" ok fine, Blood Knight variants or move current BKs down a tier and make new tier 5 power curve setters.

Obligatory: Option for Vampire Coast.

It's more psychotic than it is weird. They do that dumb poo poo where product lines are competing internally, so the AoS people will never allow the WFB/OW people to have any of their units. Hell, the reason we're getting the weird initial OW launch lineup is because AoS had called dibs on certain factions for their next refresh. Absolutely broke brained poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

VC will get a Phantom of the Opera LL.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

coast already has a literal phantom of the opera ll

that's the joke!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sorry, I meant Counts

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This is the same reason why I'm very, very curious to see how they pull off Dogs of War. Given how much of a pain in the rear end GW is about creating any new stuff (reminder we've only had literally 1 brand new unit and 1 brand new lord in almost a decade of TWW; Kroxigors with powerfists and Cylostra), I can't imagine how you implement DoW. Not as individual rosters for Estalia and the Border Princes, that's for sure; the core, non-RoR units in DoW were Tilean, there were no Estalian/BP units. Generic versions of the RoRs? A Tamurkhan-style system?

TaintedBalance posted:

It's more psychotic than it is weird. They do that dumb poo poo where product lines are competing internally, so the AoS people will never allow the WFB/OW people to have any of their units. Hell, the reason we're getting the weird initial OW launch lineup is because AoS had called dibs on certain factions for their next refresh. Absolutely broke brained poo poo.

Yeah, it's absurd. Oh, TOW has Beastmen? Sorry, AoS can't have them now. You want to have dismounted Knights of the Realm and honored Ushabti? Sorry, those aren't part of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles IP; they're part of the Warhammer The Old World IP; differen't things, can't add them, gently caress off. Wait, did you just mention loving BEAKS ON BEASTMEN??? I'm calling legal, hold on a sec.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 28, 2024

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Generics as choices seem likely, maybe with some custom elites at the top end or whatever. Pikes and crossbows seem extremely prevalent in that area so likely multiple tiered varieties of those - hell, just look at how many of the unique merc companies in DoW are pikes - and even "unique" companies like the galloper guns seem reasonable to have the city states have made more standardized in the years since (similar to how the Empire went from only having 8 Steam Tanks for the vast majority of WHFB's run, to suddenly being able to effectively make more near the end).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azran posted:

You want to have dismounted Knights of the Realm and honored Ushabti? Sorry, those aren't part of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles IP; they're part of the Warhammer The Old World IP

I like the idea that this suggests knights are welded to their horse.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Playing as ghorst currently and I wish there was a three and possible four arrow fast forward.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All they have to do for Dogs is copy Cataph's homework nearly 1:1. Just need a tech tree that doesn't suck, some people doing bad Spanish/Italian/Serbian accents, and maybe a cpuple mechanics like where you let another faction hire an army, or try to find Bella a husband lol or something. Bing bang done

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sadly Dogs of War has been canceled, half the studio has been laid off, and for no reason whatsoever the rights to Barbarian Invasion have been transfered to General Motors

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've got a friend just getting into warhanmer total war now and we're thinking of trying some co-op campaigns. I haven't played multiplayer before, and he's leaning toward Karl Franz, so I was thinking of playing Elspeth when the dlc drops - does that make sense, or would it make more sense to play Bretonnians, Dwarfs, or Kislev instead of another Empire faction? I want to be close enough so we can work together but I don't know if it interferes with the authority system to have two human Empire players at the same time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
One of the best things you can do is give your friend a border that he doesn't have to worry about as karl is gonna worry about every direction for awhile

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

I've got a friend just getting into warhanmer total war now and we're thinking of trying some co-op campaigns. I haven't played multiplayer before, and he's leaning toward Karl Franz, so I was thinking of playing Elspeth when the dlc drops - does that make sense, or would it make more sense to play Bretonnians, Dwarfs, or Kislev instead of another Empire faction? I want to be close enough so we can work together but I don't know if it interferes with the authority system to have two human Empire players at the same time.

I'd strongly consider wood elves. Durthu especially can decide to become a problem for the Empire, and he's well positioned to run interference for Karl's western and southern borders while playing him means he won't himself be an issue.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Dolash posted:

We're not really aware of how Elspeth plays with the imperial mechanics, esp co-op wise. That said, Nuln is right next door so it's a mixture of easy allies but also prohibiting each others expansion capabilities. Gelt comes home with a fat buff in like 10~ turns and can then settle anywhere, so you could grab him and then head south/west in the mountains and party there alongside. Otherwise, the dwarves and Kislev are faaaar away for the majority of the campaign, but Brett is close and doesn't care what evil in particular you fight once you establish yourself.

you can also do a funni bit as drycha

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
also beastmen make wonderful allies for the empire

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Azran posted:

This is the same reason why I'm very, very curious to see how they pull off Dogs of War. Given how much of a pain in the rear end GW is about creating any new stuff (reminder we've only had literally 1 brand new unit and 1 brand new lord in almost a decade of TWW; Kroxigors with powerfists and Cylostra), I can't imagine how you implement DoW. Not as individual rosters for Estalia and the Border Princes, that's for sure; the core, non-RoR units in DoW were Tilean, there were no Estalian/BP units. Generic versions of the RoRs? A Tamurkhan-style system?

If they can sneak in Aranessa under the Vampirates banner, I have no doubt they can figure out a way to merge Tilea and Estalia.

Nuclear Kitten
Sep 30, 2021

Azran posted:

Would Daniel not also count as an original lord? Not that you're wrong, but CA could do something like him for Dogs of War, so he seems relevant.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dolash posted:

If I'm reading it right the Authority system is reworked so it seems closer to something like Alarielle's control of Ulthuan system or similar, so it should be OK to both have it, but who knows.

Doing coop both as Empire means you won't be able to take advantage of using allied units to fill roster holes, but you'll still have the ability to recruit allied units to speed up recruitment and they should benefit from tech and red line skills unlike typical allied recruitment. Both working like that sounds fun, tbh, while with Bretonnia or Kislev you probably won't be able to help the other for a minute. Bretonnia has their own poo poo to do and while Kislev can come help out in terms of Drycha and Vampires it'll be awhile before Franz can return the favor. Dwarves similarly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Actually, I have a related question.

A friend of mine recently picked up the whole TW series as a birthday present from steam gift cards, and she hasn't played a Total War game since Rome 1 and Shogun 2.

With everything that's been added to the game over the years, I wonder what folks' feelings are for the best faction for a newcomer to this game in particular and modern TW in general would be.

She's leaning towards Kislev because she really likes what she's read about Katarin and Kislev, but I'm not entirely sure she's the best choice for a beginner.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cythereal posted:

I'd strongly consider wood elves. Durthu especially can decide to become a problem for the Empire, and he's well positioned to run interference for Karl's western and southern borders while playing him means he won't himself be an issue.

Yeah, woodelves make for a really great coop experience. It is also really nice having an ally control your hinterlands instead of them being indefensible t1 settlements. I agree with this advice.

I'd avoid doubling up on empire regardless, since you miss out on being able to recruit out of faction units as easily.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

A friend of mine recently picked up the whole TW series as a birthday present from steam gift cards, and she hasn't played a Total War game since Rome 1 and Shogun 2.

With everything that's been added to the game over the years, I wonder what folks' feelings are for the best faction for a newcomer to this game in particular and modern TW in general would be.

She's leaning towards Kislev because she really likes what she's read about Katarin and Kislev, but I'm not entirely sure she's the best choice for a beginner.

Kislev is way easier on the RoC map, but the best beginner factions atm are probably Miao Ying, Zhao Ming or maybe Tyrion? Very forgiving starts, powerful all around roster and a great economy on all of them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

High Elves are #1 imo, either as Tyrion or Alarielle. The donut is relatively easy/safe, you don't have any complicated mechanics, and your early combat strategy is to use the extreme Total War basics of armored, shielded spearmen in the front and archers in the back with no gimmicks.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Cythereal posted:

Tyrion is probably the most beginner friendly campagn in mortal empires but I would say go with what interests you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We did do a test game with me as Alarielle and my friend as Tyrion just to confirm our internet was stable enough to play and to learn the very basic of basics in the interface, and can confirm that doing like three turns of a high elf campaign just to learn where the buttons are is probably worthwhile before trying to play any campaign for real.

Also playing on easy means making a point of fighting out battles instead of autoresolving, because the autoresolver just seems too good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if she likes the kislev flavor go for kislev. it's like the second most beginner friendly of the TWIII factions, and it is only a small jump up in complexity from something like the high elves

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I think a lot of Kislev's initial weirdness was having to manage hybrid units but now that you've got some true basic infantry it should be a lot more straightforward in terms of hammer/anvil stuff.

Also Katarin's campaign should be a lot easier now that Malakai is kicking around Kraka Drak to slow down/stop Throgg, maybe Throt. And maybe the Baersonlings.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Festus is close!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently easy campaign difficulty messing with the autoresolve also makes the AI throw giant stacks at you because it thinks you're terrifyingly powerful, which you can't realistically beat in normal fights.

So might be better to go on normal difficulty? I think you can set the enemy to have weaker units independent of that and if there's two of you I figure it should be a little easier anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

orangelex44 posted:

If they can sneak in Aranessa under the Vampirates banner, I have no doubt they can figure out a way to merge Tilea and Estalia.

It's mostly the fact that there aren't any Estalian characters at all, all the DoW ones were Tilean and even Lietpold in Tamurkhan was from the Border Princes. GW never meant Estalia to be anything but Not Spain, sadly.

Nuclear Kitten posted:

Would Daniel not also count as an original lord? Not that you're wrong, but CA could do something like him for Dogs of War, so he seems relevant.

Hm yeah good point, forgot about Daniel.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Azran posted:

It's mostly the fact that there aren't any Estalian characters at all, all the DoW ones were Tilean and even Lietpold in Tamurkhan was from the Border Princes. GW never meant Estalia to be anything but Not Spain, sadly.

Hm yeah good point, forgot about Daniel.

I cannot refute your point, since apparently my primary source on Warhammer (1d4chan, naturally) is once again down for the count.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Impermanent posted:

if she likes the kislev flavor go for kislev. it's like the second most beginner friendly of the TWIII factions, and it is only a small jump up in complexity from something like the high elves

We're thinking that we may try a co-op campaign ourselves once Throne of Decay drops, me trying out Malakai and her playing Katarin.

Her chief complaint about Alarielle is that 'she sounds like a loving simp for Tyrion.' :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
She is a simp for Tyrion, unfortunately. As is most everyone on the donut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

We're thinking that we may try a co-op campaign ourselves once Throne of Decay drops, me trying out Malakai and her playing Katarin.

Her chief complaint about Alarielle is that 'she sounds like a loving simp for Tyrion.' :v:

Yeah that sounds like a fun coop campaign, depending on Malakai's mechanics.