Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Playing a WoC campaign for the first time as Belakor. I lucked out and managed to collect all the other WoC LLs before they got wiped out by other factions, and that whole process was a lot of fun. I've seen people talking about how ridiculous aspiring champions get, but I was not prepared for how insanely overpowered they are. Kinda seems like it should be uhhh a lot more difficult to acquire them, like having to go through the entire marauder -> chaos warrior -> chosen -> aspiring champions promotion tree instead of being able to recruit them outright right at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I seem to remember the RoC Katarin campaign I completed at launch was ''everything is on fire constantly oh god'

I enjoyed it but would disagree that it is beginner friendly, unless they toned it back a bit recently

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Cythereal posted:

We're thinking that we may try a co-op campaign ourselves once Throne of Decay drops, me trying out Malakai and her playing Katarin.

Her chief complaint about Alarielle is that 'she sounds like a loving simp for Tyrion.' :v:

Kislev is probably the best option. They are familiar enough to a Total War oldhead but have enough weird'n'wild units to learn all bits of the game. You also won't be stepping on each other's toes. Both factions are up-to-date with mechanics.

Wilder option: Drycha - you can kill elves together!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

I seem to remember the RoC Katarin campaign I completed at launch was ''everything is on fire constantly oh god'

I enjoyed it but would disagree that it is beginner friendly, unless they toned it back a bit recently

Deep in the thread is the excellent Kislev travel guide that sums up so much about the Kislev experience.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's here, very good post https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...v#post521958970

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

orangelex44 posted:

I cannot refute your point, since apparently my primary source on Warhammer (1d4chan, naturally) is once again down for the count.

Someone mirrored it at 2d4chan.org, although their SSL certs seem all messed up and my browser yells at me for going there.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think d4chan just properly blew up and restarted with most of it's content as 1d6 chan

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alarielle isn't a simp for Tyrion, it's the other way around.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Flappy Bert posted:

Someone mirrored it at 2d4chan.org, although their SSL certs seem all messed up and my browser yells at me for going there.

This looks like the new place:
https://1d6chan.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
It actually has people updating it too.

Unrelated, I'm going to get under the wire for completing my Aranessa Vampirate campaign before the DLC drops. The sisters of Twlight have a few stragglers to mop up, the Oreon, Laurelon, and the Wargrove of War have been taken out, and I've taken out most of the big Wood Elf doomstacks coming out of Athel Loren. I'm still High Elf enemy #1, so I've had to devote a lot of attention to the Galleon's Graveyard and Estalia.

Just got into a weird situation where I get a pyrrhic victory if I attack two force-marched HElf armies in the Galleon's Graveyard, until I assign the Razor Standard to a unit, which turns it into a Valiant Defeat :psyduck:

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Cythereal posted:

We're thinking that we may try a co-op campaign ourselves once Throne of Decay drops, me trying out Malakai and her playing Katarin.

Her chief complaint about Alarielle is that 'she sounds like a loving simp for Tyrion.' :v:

Malakai + Katarin is a good combo since you'll be able to help her out with making sure norsca + azaezal + throt aren't instantly mobbing her. and I think he has incentive to ally with kislev in his mechanics?

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Dumb lore question, but do the chaos lords choose a new name or are they born with it? I thin Archeon chose a new one but Valkia didn't. Does this mean that Mr and Mrs Slaymaim named their child Kilgore? What happens if little Bloodskull decides to worship Tzeentch or decides to go the Empire to worship Shalia as a gently caress you to their parents?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I love allies

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You know that High Magic spell that's meant to counter flying units?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGtSz5oOX8A&t=783s

I'm just glad the turbo button is getting looked at at some pint :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nothing can beat a good kislev clustfuck experience. The only campaign that forced me to change my army comps and where I could spend 3-4 hours in a play session and only get through like 2 turns because of how many battles I was fighting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
thats what you get when your snare spell is a virgin speed penalty instead of a chad Cannot Move

skaven stay winning, yes-yes

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
1d4chan blew up?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SLzrVJFF2M

Norsca has had it's chaos waste climates changed to frozen/mountain, the ordertide looks at Norsca with hungry eyes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tankbuster posted:

1d4chan blew up?

quietly died, more like.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Thanks to the like five people who let me know both here and in DMs that 1d4chan is now 1d6chan, apparently it's a very deep concern across the Warhammer geek world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pizzabutt posted:

and I think he has incentive to ally with kislev in his mechanics?

One of his adventures (fighting the wood elves) gets him a choice of a major diplomatic bonus with either the Empire or Kislev.

Another adventure, I think the chorf one, lets him instantly buddy up with Cathay.

Malakai is pretty strongly incentivized to head south or east after clearing up his immediate surroundings, between his adventures and the legendary grudges.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Does seem pretty easy to get sucked into the unending war with Norsca and the Chaos Waste factions though

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

One of his adventures (fighting the wood elves) gets him a choice of a major diplomatic bonus with either the Empire or Kislev.

Another adventure, I think the chorf one, lets him instantly buddy up with Cathay.

Malakai is pretty strongly incentivized to head south or east after clearing up his immediate surroundings, between his adventures and the legendary grudges.
Then he seems pretty perfect for Katarin, who generally wants to expand north and west with a jaunt south to take out Drycha and Vlad if you want. Malakai can help Kislev get its feet and free up time for Kislev to safely push out at least Drycha and Azhag, who can then return the favor and take on Throgg et all and free up Malakai to go adventuring.

A human ally Malakai might also be able to take Praag for Katarin so she doesn't have to eat the -100 faith for declaring war on Praag, getting that to her early.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DaysBefore posted:

Does seem pretty easy to get sucked into the unending war with Norsca and the Chaos Waste factions though

There's a legendary grudge for conquering Norsca, at least.

The Chaos Wastes are red for Malakai, though, so unless you're running a mod to remove climate (I do), I guess you'd better hope Boris survives?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Climates as they've implemented them is dumb and it's been dumb since WH1. I've been playing with no climate mods forever.

The smart way to disincentivize people from painting the map is not to punish them for doing so, but to give them bonuses in lieu of occupying settlements. Systems like WoC or Khorne that give you good reasons to raze settlements in exchange for special currencies or other benefits is the right approach.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Climates as they've implemented them is dumb and it's been dumb since WH1. I've been playing with no climate mods forever.

The smart way to disincentivize people from painting the map is not to punish them for doing so, but to give them bonuses in lieu of occupying settlements. Systems like WoC or Khorne that give you good reasons to raze settlements in exchange for special currencies or other benefits is the right approach.
Wh1 did it better.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok WH1 story time. As you may or may not remember, back then, you couldn't settle wrong climate provinces, at all, and the main event of most campaigns was the final Chaos Invasion by Archaon and friends.

This is the story of the first campaign I won and why I remember it when the rest of them is a blur.

So I played the dwarfs and moved mostly South, I destroyed the orcs right when Chaos showed up, scrambled North to meet the menace and get rekt. Everyone else gets rekt, Empire, Bretonnia, Vampires, the wood elves if they existed already, everything destroyed, it's down to me and Archaon, the last two lines on the faction screen. So I raise new armies, meet his armies in epic battle and finally stops the invasion. Ok, cool, that was epic.

I don't get the achievement for winning. What?

Looking at the objectives, I need to go resettle that small dwarf outpost near Norsca. On the other side of the map. Well, here we go, Thorgrim and an army pack up and march North. On my way up, I realize that I'm going through regions that are wasteland forever. There is no faction that can settle them, at all, ever. I could pass 300 turn and it would still be wastes. The whole wirld is burnt to ashes. Corruption is everywhere. Every three turns or so, I need to camp so my army does not completely melt.

And so the last leg of my cool war game campaign is a long, moody, walking-simulator-like trek through the ruins of a forever broken world, after the victory over Evil came at a terrible price.

That's not the type of gameplay you think of when you hear total war.

Anyway the point of my story is I eventually get the cheevo after about twelve turns of that.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

My only two memories of WH1 are one that was kind of like that, but it was VC and I had to kill the Dwarfs(?) except they were the faction that won between them and the Orcs, but I couldn't settle anything down there, so I just had to slowly crawl down the map and kill a bunch of guys for a bunch of territory that was completely useless to me, it stank.

The other one was the Pyrrhic Victory where I had 0 losses.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

There was a thread on Reddit the other day where people were bemoaning the fact WH2 and 3 had moved away from the grounded, dark, low fantasy aspect of WH1 and had become so cartoonish, to the point of someone calling it 'Warhammer but with Total War mechanics', whatever that means. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug huh :allears:

Every now and then I reinstall WH1 because I find the tiny map very amusing to play in after IE.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Were they claiming that WH is low dark fantasy or that TWWH1 was low dark fantasy? Strange thing to say, either way.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Warhammer can do low fantasy, especially in the RPGs, but the setting as a whole is about as high fantasy as it gets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WH is what happens when low and high fantasy have to deal with one another and both find it kinda confusing.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Azran posted:

There was a thread on Reddit the other day where people were bemoaning the fact WH2 and 3 had moved away from the grounded, dark, low fantasy aspect of WH1 and had become so cartoonish, to the point of someone calling it 'Warhammer but with Total War mechanics', whatever that means. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug huh :allears:

Every now and then I reinstall WH1 because I find the tiny map very amusing to play in after IE.

Is there anything that has actually changed aside from like the campaign map artstyle lol. This game literally introduced armies of murderous demons

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Azran posted:

I wonder if one of those posters would be so kind as to remind me which game in the series introduced the giant rats with gatling guns and motorbikes and monowheels and magical nuclear rockets

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Azran posted:

"Hmm, yes, this faction with gigantic holy laser weapons and steam-engine tanks is well grounded in my low fantasy experience. So are the armies of perfectly synchronized walking skeletons, and the catapults shooting living goblins with mechanical wings."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah the only thing that changed was the artstyle, who I still can't believe has a certain section of the playerbase annoyed. Personally, I really like the new map design and I don't get the people who call it cartoony.

https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-warhammer/blogs/17-total-war-warhammer-iii-update-5-0-0

Anyways, patch notes. Some cool stuff:

quote:

Homing Projectile Refinement

You can call it homing 2.1 if you want!

We've returned to the table to take one more crack at one of the big gaps left in our updated homing implementation from 4.1.0. While we were generally happy with how the change worked against single entities, we felt like there was more work to be done.

Previously, when assigning a homing behaviour to a projectile, it would be passed a target entity. And all homing projectiles fired by the same entity or unit would be given the same target. Leading to excessive overkill and poor performance vs multi entity units, even when firing many projectiles.

Under the new system, we randomly assign each individual projectile a target, roughly evenly spreading the homing targets out across all the entities in the target unit.

Pursuit Behaviour

While investigating unit pursuit behaviour at the start of the Thrones of Decay (that's when Unit A is chasing Unit B off the battlefield after Unit B has routed), we interrogated a limitation where only 35% of the chasing unit was allowed to initiate an attack. We have now removed this limitation, which should make pursuing units more responsive, but also enable units to keep the pressure applied to a target once it has broken.

New Unit Attributes

Slayer - New for Thrones of Decay and applied to all Slayer-type units, the Slayer attribute makes the unit count as a Slayer for ability targeting and also makes the unit immune to reductions in Weapon Strength.

Directional Shield - Units with the Directional Shield attribute have 360 degree missile block, but the unit's base missile block is multiplied as follows:

1.0x from the front
0.5x from the sides
0.1x from the rear

The Steam Tank has this attribute, which means that it is important to keep it facing towards any incoming missiles.

Ballistic Plating - If the unit has a Missile Block Chance, it may now apply to all types of projectiles, apart from Magic Missiles or Spell-based Bombardments.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The new map style is so much easier to read.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The categorization of traits is huge because right now it's just a total swamp

Patch Notes posted:

Outriders

Ammo of Primary Missile Weapon: 20 → 116
Base Missile Damage: 3 → 2
Armour Piercing Missile Damage: 15 → 6
Shots Per Volley: 1 → 6
Effective Range: 130 → 115
Base Reload Time (Seconds): 6 → 13
Calibration Distance: 85 → 75
Calibration Area: 1.6 → 5

OH gently caress

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 29, 2024

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SLzrVJFF2M

Norsca has had it's chaos waste climates changed to frozen/mountain, the ordertide looks at Norsca with hungry eyes.

The AI must get reduced attrition or something because Louen is always loving around up there with multiple stacks despite the red climate on...everything. I never bother with it as Empire, I just leave some small defensive stacks to fend off raids while I clean everything up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The TW3 map looks visually much better then the earlier ones, minus the corruption borders at launch.

A basic risk-style boardgame map with some visual flourish would of made for a better campaign experience I'm still convinced though.

The Gunslinger posted:

The AI must get reduced attrition or something

Always has, otherwise the dumb AI would be walking around with nearly dead stacks more then it already does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
if memory serves brett gets a pretty easy chaos waste attrition removal so they can crusade