Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So as far as we are aware, the way it works with Ogre mercs now is that when there's an Ogre camp (their movable major settlements) in a province, whoever's in that province can recruit Ogre units from that camp?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

So as far as we are aware, the way it works with Ogre mercs now is that when there's an Ogre camp (their movable major settlements) in a province, whoever's in that province can recruit Ogre units from that camp?

I think so? The area may be a radius a la Black Arks instead of province-wide but that's my understanding. No more "ogres, my lord" and pop-up camps.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also watching that tournament from yesterday and the battle MilkandcookiesTW uploaded with the Ogres it's pretty clear that their artillery piece needs a look at in terms of its damage output and/or accuracy (in the replay part of that was sticking 9 chevrons on it giving it just ridiculous accuracy ontop of already good accuracy, so that might be a thing to consider tuning as well).

Also I noticed how everyone played Skrag the Slaughterer (including in the mirror-match) because he gives a map-wide buff to Gorgers, seemingly one of the Ogres' most cost-effective units, and that's a little boring I think. IMO that ability probably just shouldn't be available in MP (or at least not be map-wide) for the reason that there's really no other LL you can bring in MP/custom battle who come in with what are essentially campaign-style unconditional buffs to signature units. Skrag should not be the only one to have that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
On one hand cannon being good at the seemingly intended use-case of shooting large monsters is good. (Its a bit silly how little I want cannon in most playthroughs, because gunpowder infantry does that job better in every way). On the other, yeah, that was pretty ridiculous and shows how effective stacking effects like accuracy and reload speed through chevrons can be.

I can't tell if the problem is the unit, how it interacts with experience ranks, or both.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I think so? The area may be a radius a la Black Arks instead of province-wide but that's my understanding. No more "ogres, my lord" and pop-up camps.

Sounds pretty good. I always felt the map could stand to have more things to interact with.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Confirmed midnight PST release

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1492815835609632770

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
hell yes, time to be a worthless piece of poo poo and play video games all day

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Why the nehek is there a 7 hour difference between London (GMT) and the US East coast (GMT-5)?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why the nehek is there a 7 hour difference between London (GMT) and the US East coast (GMT-5)?

did they change it? I’m counting five.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Oh lol. No man it’s 3am

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most of us are getting it through steam so best plan on NA pacific time with a hangover anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Twigand Berries posted:

Oh lol. No man it’s 3am
Oh poo poo you're right. That would make it a 5 hour difference then too. Derp. I guess I did not expect a 3:00am release.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How is the AI in these games? I remember thinking when TWW1 came out that there was no way it would be able to handle the unit variety and options.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Vengarr posted:

How is the AI in these games? I remember thinking when TWW1 came out that there was no way it would be able to handle the unit variety and options.

it's decent. better than previous Total War games. at least for TWW2 the AI was predictable when you were familiar with it and could be exploited but it knew enough to attempt flanking manouevres and so on and it could catch you out if you were sloppy

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's certain quirks and habits you'll notice from the AI on both the tactical and battle layers and that does lead to it being abusable when you recognise them (this is basically LegendofTotalWar's entire shtick), but it will surprise you now and then if you underestimate it, especially with cheeky flankers and high value units popping out of nowhere.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The AI is good enough that if it recognizes it has an advantage it will ruthlessly press it in battles. Your backline is exposed? Cavalry are coming. They've got elite frontline and you've picked a fight while yours is still soft? They're marching on you. They're always good enough to give you hell if you're unprepared. You really need to pay attention if they have access to map-wide summons, a good caster or faction-specific suicide bombs(Skaven, Delves, VCoast.)

Hopefully they've fixed the comically bad Ambush AI bug from TWWH2 where they let you unload all your artillery into them and they never advance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

It's generally fine and will give a nice experience so long as you don't actively try to abuse it with cheesy tactics. It is certainly possible to abuse how the ai works and break it over you knee, but if you just bring a normal army and fight normally, it will do a decent job of putting up a fight.

If you find it too easy you can turn up the difficulty which basically give it a bunch of cheats.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
A youtuber got access to a content creator pack and made a map with all starting positions (minor and major factions) plus another one with all the crests for new factions (plus a few repeats). Please pay attention to
a) the big empty hole in the Dark Lands
b) the fact that Nagashizzar has its own crest despite not being on the map

Also ignore the youtuber's obvious channel icon.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

bought the fanatical deal, worked smooth except their payment processor took one whole extra minute. glad to have it on my steam list

i wanna smash my tiny army mans together

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

who would want to ignore that good boy icon

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Things I have absolutely zero doubt are coming to TW3, possibly even in order:

Belakor playable as a Daemons of chaos LL in Immortal Empires
Chorfs
Monkey King
Neferata
Thanquol
Nagash

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I like how Nagash's icon is just his hat.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTnLZ6ODNY

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It is a very impressive hat, and I hope Nagash's campaign is just him versus the Chorfs in a hat contest.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stackofflapjacks posted:

i wanna smash my tiny army mans together

Same.

I kind of wonder about the dragons. The iron boy's extra magic items seem super neat with the new merging mechanic, but you'll probably have to spend all your time dealing with the chaos incursions without the anti chaos bonus because AI storm girl screws up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I like how Nagash's icon is just his hat.

The one with the hat is Neferata's. Nagash's is the Black Pyramid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's a match for Neferata's hat and that was the first faction I thought of when I saw it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

The AI is good enough that if it recognizes it has an advantage it will ruthlessly press it in battles. Your backline is exposed? Cavalry are coming. They've got elite frontline and you've picked a fight while yours is still soft? They're marching on you. They're always good enough to give you hell if you're unprepared. You really need to pay attention if they have access to map-wide summons, a good caster or faction-specific suicide bombs(Skaven, Delves, VCoast.)

Hopefully they've fixed the comically bad Ambush AI bug from TWWH2 where they let you unload all your artillery into them and they never advance.

i think the casting ai is purposfully weak. If they had the casters be actually good it would wreck you. They always cast a few spells but nothing like what a player does. Maybe wh3 will change that. Unit summons seem to be playing a bigger roll in wh3 and those can wreck you if you are turtling in a corner.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

A youtuber got access to a content creator pack and made a map with all starting positions (minor and major factions) plus another one with all the crests for new factions (plus a few repeats). Please pay attention to
a) the big empty hole in the Dark Lands
b) the fact that Nagashizzar has its own crest despite not being on the map

Also ignore the youtuber's obvious channel icon.

is there any speculative maps of what the mortal empires or whatever will look like? I honestly only really play mortal empires.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

is there any speculative maps of what the mortal empires or whatever will look like? I honestly only really play mortal empires.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's really.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just hope they don't squat the Southlands and Lustria as much as they did in ME.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I get that the realms of Chaos need their campaign mechanics for the new "Vortex" campaign or whatever it's called, but I hope the full map will still feature them. It would be cool if all the factions could access and fight in them. Maybe Chaos factions are able to hold territory in the Chaos Realms and non-chaos factions can only sack or raze settlements before retreating. However they are implemented, I really hope access to them isn't limited to the WH3 factions.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't know much about Warhammer, so I have a question: why does there seem to be two, but unrelated Warhammer universes? I'm looking up lore ahead of this game and there are things like a ghost race that seem neat conceptually but they're not a part of of this Warhammer world that shows up in the Total War games. What am I missing here?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They ended the original setting, Warhammer Fantasy, and made a new one as sort of a sequel called Age of Sigmar which has it's own factions and armies. Total Warhammer is set in the Fantasy setting

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jst0rm posted:

There are tons. Players have been speculations about the full map for, like, 7 years.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

I don't know much about Warhammer, so I have a question: why does there seem to be two, but unrelated Warhammer universes? I'm looking up lore ahead of this game and there are things like a ghost race that seem neat conceptually but they're not a part of of this Warhammer world that shows up in the Total War games. What am I missing here?

Basically, some years ago Games Workshop (creators of the original setting and tabletop game) decided to nuke their entire setting and reboot it. The original setting is usually just called Warhammer Fantasy, which is the one that these gamesare set in, while the new version is called Age of Sigmar. They had a whole thing called the End Times with stories and events detailing the collapse and fall of the old world, and it was... not good. Age of Sigmar takes place some millenia after that, when one of the old gods (the titular Sigmar) wakes up and decides to make a new world, featuring a number of the old gods and most of the original races in some form or another.

As to why they did it, there are a bunch of reasons and theories. Probably the biggest one is that Warhammer Fantasy never sold as well as it's big brother Warhammer 40k, and this was an attempt to make it more attractive. It's no coincidence that the new range of miniatures for Age of Sigmar hews pretty close to 40k's aesthetic. But GW has never really been known for the savvy business sense, which is shown by them deciding to kill their old setting right when the TW games were about to create some interest in it. :allears:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Not sure how much of this is internet phoneline, but previously GW was somewhat infamous for not doing market/customer research (supposedly even being proud about this fact) and stating that video games were just a fad.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Scuttlebutt was that the devs wanted to pull the hail mary of nuking the setting for a while but the old bad CEO decided to make it his pet project and leaned so hard on the scales it hosed the entire endeavour to the moon.

AoS is far better than its memetic reputation has it, but only after its initial failure ousted the old CEO and brought in a new guy who basically went on a rampage of internal revamping and expansion. Creating a social media team to do outreach, bringing in new developers and righting the ship wherever they could etc etc.

Do hope that CA takes a crack at a Total War AoS, stuff like the afformentioned ghost faction (Nighthaunt) would be a fun romp.

That anecdote about the videogames is pretty funny in hindsight (said quote was specifically referring to Pokemon, by the by) now that GW is throwing the rights to the setting left right and centre to so many smaller studios. Though they're very shy with doing that for AoS for some reason (outside of some mobile trash and a turn-based strategy game I hear is actually pretty good?).

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 14, 2022

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm biased in that I collect them, but a playable Sons of Behemat army (for people unaware it is a literal army of giants) would be amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Azran posted:

I just hope they don't squat the Southlands and Lustria as much as they did in ME.

I think they will be cut off again, though I'd like to be wrong. The new portions of the game 3 map seem like they're meant to sidle on up to the eastern edge of the Mortal Empires map without having anything to the south cut off.