Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I think they will be cut off again, though I'd like to be wrong. The new portions of the game 3 map seem like they're meant to sidle on up to the eastern edge of the Mortal Empires map without having anything to the south cut off.

Yeah I'll be shocked if they're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm biased in that I collect them, but a playable Sons of Behemat army (for people unaware it is a literal army of giants) would be amazing :allears:

I want to see how they even make that work. Like do you make their max army size less that 20? Good luck on coming up with an army roster.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Unit Caps would probably be the way forwards with that. I.e: only able to take 1 Mega Gargant for every (x) regular Gargants. They'd be a super, super limited roster even with weapon variant units in mind, a problem most AoS factions would face compared to the much more vast (to the point of being bloated in some cases) rosters of Fantasy factions.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Azran posted:

The one with the hat is Neferata's. Nagash's is the Black Pyramid.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's a match for Neferata's hat and that was the first faction I thought of when I saw it.

The Chorfs will wage war against Neferata to prevent her from having The Most Impressive Hat.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Yeah I'll be shocked if they're not.

shame they can't use the transport portals like in Empire

edit: I added that tweet to the OP about regional release times

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
now we know why Khalida is always yelling “Brring me neferata’s hhhat”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Chorfs will wage war against Neferata to prevent her from having The Most Impressive Hat.

Given that the Silver Pinnacle is very close to Chaos Dwarf Territory conflict should be inevitable.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Really, most of the game is about who has the best hat when you think about it.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Basically, some years ago Games Workshop (creators of the original setting and tabletop game) decided to nuke their entire setting and reboot it. The original setting is usually just called Warhammer Fantasy, which is the one that these gamesare set in, while the new version is called Age of Sigmar. They had a whole thing called the End Times with stories and events detailing the collapse and fall of the old world, and it was... not good. Age of Sigmar takes place some millenia after that, when one of the old gods (the titular Sigmar) wakes up and decides to make a new world, featuring a number of the old gods and most of the original races in some form or another.

As to why they did it, there are a bunch of reasons and theories. Probably the biggest one is that Warhammer Fantasy never sold as well as it's big brother Warhammer 40k, and this was an attempt to make it more attractive. It's no coincidence that the new range of miniatures for Age of Sigmar hews pretty close to 40k's aesthetic. But GW has never really been known for the savvy business sense, which is shown by them deciding to kill their old setting right when the TW games were about to create some interest in it. :allears:

Right. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it is deliberately confusing for someone not initiated into the setting at first. Basically this means no ghosts in these TW games.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

Right. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it is deliberately confusing for someone not initiated into the setting at first. Basically this means no ghosts in these TW games.

Vampire Counts have a couple ghost units + ghost hero. I think Vampire Coast (Vampire pirates, different from Vampire Counts) might also have 1 or 2 ghost units. But no faction made entirely of ghosts, no.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'll still buy this one. Not-Russia and Not-China seemed cool. I only have TWW1 and not TWW2, though. Maybe I missed out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you have 1 then you've probably got the lion's share of ghost units in that one with the Vampire Counts. You will be able to play them in 3 once the full map gets released a few months after release.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HAT WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HAT WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD

... pale in comparison to the magnificence of the Chorfs.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

On one hand cannon being good at the seemingly intended use-case of shooting large monsters is good. (Its a bit silly how little I want cannon in most playthroughs, because gunpowder infantry does that job better in every way). On the other, yeah, that was pretty ridiculous and shows how effective stacking effects like accuracy and reload speed through chevrons can be.

I can't tell if the problem is the unit, how it interacts with experience ranks, or both.

Part of the problem is that it's basically a super tanky chariot on top of that ludicrously accurate scattershot cannon. Which, yeah, thematically makes sense given it's pulled by a Rhinox and crewed by an ogre, but means there's no realistic way of shutting it down either - it'll just ignore, move away from or beat most typical artillery counters. The two best counterpoints to it are probably the Luminark and the Skullcannon, but the Luminark's super squishy while Skullcannons have terrible accuracy, nowhere near the damage, and only 12 ammo.

Like, if an artillery piece that powerful was on Cathay's roster, it'd have the same ranged danger but you could send flying chaff (or well-managed skirmish cavalry) to shut it down - and even cheap chaff could likely kill it without support. Which means Cathay would have to dedicate units to protecting it, and the chaff can still probably tie it down for a bit anyways. Here? There's no cost effective way to shut it down, it doesn't really need much protection, and it's very effective at nuking ANYTHING large. What the hell is the counter to that? Okay, fine, an overcast (for the range) Missile Mirror that the person controlling the cannon missed could be dangerous, but that's both super niche and faction specific.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just ally another Ogre tribe and get a cannon from them. Checkmate.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Seducing ogres for their big bad boom boomers.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Just ally another Ogre tribe and get a cannon from them. Checkmate.

This is talking about MP. Of course you can deal with them in SP against the AI. Assuming the AI even builds many to begin with, given it's a T5 unit almost certainly in a non-infantry/cavalry recruitment building.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope chaos dwarfs and Nagash both make it in the game but neither one of them gets hats.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

This is talking about MP.

Then it's only a problem for the less than 5% of people who click on the MP button.

Jokes aside, I wonder if lowering the rate of fire and making it just stupidly slow would be a decent way of balancing it. Assuming it's suitably expensive, it might become a bit of a white elephant for the Ogres where if they don't stay behind and protect it, it gets easily shut down by fast units. If they do stay behind then they probably get shot to pieces/lose the domination battle.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sinteres posted:

I hope chaos dwarfs and Nagash both make it in the game but neither one of them gets hats.

wtf......

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sinteres posted:

You absolute monster.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Not sure how much of this is internet phoneline, but previously GW was somewhat infamous for not doing market/customer research (supposedly even being proud about this fact) and stating that video games were just a fad.

Oh it's very much real, I remember reading the documentation put out by GW. IIRC the phrasing was "marketing is odious in a niche" or something of the sort, this was back in the age of GW death threads and I remember people joking about the 'odious in a niche' bit alongside the one about 'jewel-like objects of wonder' when talking about their miniatures.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Warhammer Fantasy is about who has the best hat but did you ever consider that the canon strongest character does not wear a hat?

Grimgrog......

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't see his hat, brutally cunning like that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Azran posted:

Oh it's very much real, I remember reading the documentation put out by GW. IIRC the phrasing was "marketing is odious in a niche" or something of the sort, this was back in the age of GW death threads and I remember people joking about the 'odious in a niche' bit alongside the one about 'jewel-like objects of wonder' when talking about their miniatures.

The OP needs to replace 'little plastic armies of units' with 'jewel-like objects of wonder'.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azran posted:

The infamous quote was "marketing is otiose in a niche", with otiose meaning "serving no purpose". Their belief was that GW was the undisputed king of miniatures games, so anyone who was at all interested in miniatures would automatically be drawn in to playing GW's miniatures games, so marketing to new audiences in any way was a waste of energy. This belief also led to all of the infamous GW price hiking, because they believed they had a captive audience who had no choice other than to pay whatever GW asked.

Old GW's leadership was truly impressively stupid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For fun some Chaos Dwarf Lore and the Likely Legendary Lords.

Astragoth Ironhand High Priest of Hashut

The Chaos Dwarfs are ruled by the High Priests of Hashut the Sorcerer-Prophets. The Sorcerer-Prophets meet a grand conclave to discuss their plans of domination. All Sorcerer-Prophets are technically equal, as they have no leader or formal hierarchy. However Chaos Dwarfs respect age and knowledge just as much as normal Dwarfs, so the ones with the strongest voices are the oldest and most powerful. Astragoth Ironhand is the oldest living Sorcerer-Prophet and thus has the most influence among all Chaos Dwarfs. Astragoth was also known as the most powerful sorcerer the Plains of Zharr had seen in a 1000 years, but his power has started to wane. Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers are slowly turned to stone by their usage of magic (Probably a side effect of Dwarven incompatibly with it.) and Astragoth's legs and arms have petrified, so he is reliant on mechanical grafts and devices he has incorporated into himself to move and continue his duties without assistance. He's still a powerful sorcerer and his mechanical legs and arms make him stronger and faster then a normal chaos dwarf, if incapable of riding one of their great beasts into battle. Still his powers are weakening and eventually his head petrify and leave his coveted spot as most influential Sorcerer-Prophet open.

Zhatan the Black, Commander of the Tower of Zharr

Zhatan is a powerful general among the Chaos Dwarfs, and is known to be the most black hearted and cruel of them all. Zhatan serves as the second in command to Sorcerer-Prophet Ghorth the Cruel, currently most potent of all living Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers. "It is said that when Ghorth presides over the sacrifices of Hashut the only sound louder than the screams of his victims is the gloating laughter of Zhatan." Zhatan spends much time away from the city as he is constantly gathering new slaves. The majority of the Dark Lands Greenskins greatly fear him and send thousands of their own kind in tribute to him without a fight. Ghorth's forges can barely keep up with his demands for weapons, which fuel his conquests, which fuel his demands in a vicious cycle. He's also allowed to ride a cool Great Taurus or Lammasu.

Drazhoath the Ashen

Once a promising and ambitious Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith (A Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer skilled with magic and metallurgy, that has not quite yet reached the level of a Sorcerer-Prophet). Drazhoath caught the attention of Astragoth in a bad way, and was effectively exiled from Zharr-Naggrund (Their capital), to the Black Fortress a military base that serves as the home to the Legion of Azgorh, the Chaos Dwarf Penal Legion. Drazhaoth eventually took total command of the Legion and Tower becoming it's Sorcerer-Prophet representative. His power has grown greatly few other Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers can match him in arcane might or knowledge in the creation of war machines and Daemon-binding. Still he's a bit bitter as his ambitions have reached a peak. His lands and forces are far from Zharr-Naggrund and held in little regard. His voice as a lord of exiles carries little weight with the conclave, and none whatsoever with Astragoth the strongest voice who simply does not like him. Still Drazhoath sees opportunity knocking, as Astragoth is finally starting to wane. Drazhoath thinks he needs to gain a great victory, a massive amount of captives and loot that will boost his influence beyond his domain to help him secure prominence when Astragoth finally expires. Still he's not having an easy time as the Black Fortress is constantly under threat and fighting off enemies, so he's been unable to leave in search of his victory.

Gorduz Backstabber

"Stick 'em wiv arrers'. Stick 'em with knives, 'an swords, and spears. Stick 'em quick and stick 'em where it 'urts. But most of all, stick 'em when they's looking the other way."
The most infamous Hobgoblin Chieftain in service to the Chaos Dwarfs. Hobgoblins and their leaders are renowned for their short lives which comes from a bad habit of killing each other for greater glory. Gorduz is both clever and lucky enough (The fact that his boney shoulder hump is just a mess of scar tissue shows his good luck in surviving back stabs) to have lived longer then most of his species thought possible. He has self professed his dream of being the second Hobgoblin to die of old age, or show that story to have just been a myth. While not loyal to the Chaos Dwarfs he has always been a very willing partner to them, as the Hobgoblins have a bad reputation among other Greenskins to the point that Chaos Dwarf protection helps keep them safe. And all Hobgoblins have to do in return is be assholes to slaves or send some of their comrades to fight in the front lines, an easy choice.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 14, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Perestroika posted:

Basically, some years ago Games Workshop (creators of the original setting and tabletop game) decided to nuke their entire setting and reboot it. The original setting is usually just called Warhammer Fantasy, which is the one that these gamesare set in, while the new version is called Age of Sigmar. They had a whole thing called the End Times with stories and events detailing the collapse and fall of the old world, and it was... not good. Age of Sigmar takes place some millenia after that, when one of the old gods (the titular Sigmar) wakes up and decides to make a new world, featuring a number of the old gods and most of the original races in some form or another.

As to why they did it, there are a bunch of reasons and theories. Probably the biggest one is that Warhammer Fantasy never sold as well as it's big brother Warhammer 40k, and this was an attempt to make it more attractive. It's no coincidence that the new range of miniatures for Age of Sigmar hews pretty close to 40k's aesthetic. But GW has never really been known for the savvy business sense, which is shown by them deciding to kill their old setting right when the TW games were about to create some interest in it. :allears:

The original rules of Age of Sigma were also monumentally bad as well, which didn't help at all.

Apparently later editions unfucked it a bit

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I mean wasn’t history all about wearing the biggest bestest hat? (up until sniper rifles anyway)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kanos posted:

The infamous quote was "marketing is otiose in a niche", with otiose meaning "serving no purpose". Their belief was that GW was the undisputed king of miniatures games, so anyone who was at all interested in miniatures would automatically be drawn in to playing GW's miniatures games, so marketing to new audiences in any way was a waste of energy. This belief also led to all of the infamous GW price hiking, because they believed they had a captive audience who had no choice other than to pay whatever GW asked.

Old GW's leadership was truly impressively stupid.

That was it, thank you! I swear I googled around for it and couldn't find it lol It was a pretty dumb statement, yeah

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Azran posted:

A youtuber got access to a content creator pack and made a map with all starting positions (minor and major factions) plus another one with all the crests for new factions (plus a few repeats). Please pay attention to
a) the big empty hole in the Dark Lands
b) the fact that Nagashizzar has its own crest despite not being on the map

Also ignore the youtuber's obvious channel icon.

i see the same icon used for vermintides pactsworn among the rogue army flags

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alctel posted:

The original rules of Age of Sigma were also monumentally bad as well, which didn't help at all.

Apparently later editions unfucked it a bit

The rules for legacy fantasy models in particular felt like they were taking the piss out of their fans. AoS seems fine nowadays but the whole End Times/launch period was a hilarious fever dream.

In hindsight it's also hilarious that the two big Warhammer killers of the time, Flames of War and Warmahordes, decided to follow the old-GW business model just as GW got its act together.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
AoS is really fun now. I picked it up about two years ago and the game is good.

Warmachine really hosed up. I used to play that too but they went as hard as they could on fostering a poo poo community then hosed the game up lol.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

When does the Ogre embargo lift? I'm getting hungry

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

When does the Ogre embargo lift? I'm getting hungry

hello breakfast thread

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In hindsight it's also hilarious that the two big Warhammer killers of the time, Flames of War and Warmahordes, decided to follow the old-GW business model just as GW got its act together.

Warmahordes in particular, Privateer Press just went all in unloading a combat shotgun into their crotch over and over again it's impressive in the horror of it. From the bloating issues with Warmahordes, the disastrous launch of its Mark 3 edition and inability to stabilise, the utter abandonment of what was arguably their best game by miles in Monsterpocalypse, Riot Quest, killing off their volunteer program after the Magic Judges lawsuit, the limited armies bullshit and the hilarious attempt to rip off Infinity with Warcaster.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

you all gonna get the new thread moved to Trad Games

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
So it seems that Nagash is almost guaranteed, for those who don't know what he is, what should we expect? It doesn't really look like he'd be a new faction, seems more like a mix of tomb kings and vampire counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/Lord_Mandalore/status/1493118791353614337?t=iGS5EGgzksaPm-Nw2Y-lFQ&s=19