Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm planning to play this on gamepass then wait for a sale to get it on steam, but I forgot how absolutely dogshit the Xbox app is. Trying to preload but it just says error and won't tell me anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I wish this ran as good on my machine as wh2 did but I'm assuming a lot of it might just be optimization + I haven't updated my driver's yet.

Mini campaign is good but the colors feel very washed out to me, textures too. Also I get a weird pixel ghosting trail on some units and I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Caught between tzeench and slaanesh. Which would be better for diplomatic fuckery? Also both are different from my normal playstyle so I'm a little intimidated.

The pixel ghosting I think is caused by TAA, I switched to FXAA and it went away, also got a little performance boost at the expense of slightly more jaggies. Seems like performance and crashes are being worked on for the first update, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Enjoying the minor settlements so far but I can see them becoming a bit of a slog after a while. They remind me of the modded GCCM maps for TW2. I think the main issue is it means you're fighting fewer walled settlement battles, which is good, but also fighting less field battles, which is bad. Perhaps a way to balance it would be you have to build a certain defensive building in a settlement to have the capture point mechanic be a thing, and otherwise it's just a field battle outside the settlement? I'm sure modders will have some ideas.

The Cathay caravan thing is really cool, fought a random ambush on it and that was fun, more ways to have you fight interesting battles is good, like aiding an ally with the empire elector count system. Hopefully the new diplomacy stuff will lead to more of that.

About the settlement capture points, it implies that once you've captured an enemy point you can build towers there, but I can't see how, is that just a misinterpretation?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Makes sense. Another thing, I can't seem to find the camera controls button that lets you set the speed for heroes and lords on turn end.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
They got rid of the beautiful artwork on the settlement panel background, it's just plain red now :(. Oh well, that's what mods are for.

Haven't tried other factions extensively yet and I'm enjoying Cathay, but I agree that these factions aren't as interesting to me as the previous ones. For a game I'll probably be playing for the next 5 years though, there's plenty of room for more stuff.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I like that idea of anything below a tier 3 minor settlement just being a field battle. Also feel like the only walled settlement battles should be faction capitols or landmark settlements, with bespoke maps. That would have a better variety of battle types I think.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I wonder how they're going to incorporate all the chaos stuff into Immortal Empires. I find the chaos wastes the least interesting part of the map so I wouldn't mind if that was squished a bit to make room for the better parts. Maybe the actual god realms could be totally separate from the map and require some kind of ritual to enter. The odd portal could occasionally show up as an event maybe.

Will check out a few more factions but I think I just don't find the chaos ones very interesting, so I'll probably put this on the back burner once elden ring comes out. Immortal Empires is gonna be so sweet though.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Another minor thing is that the towers and barricades are all generic regardless of faction. It's a small thing but takes away from the atmosphere slightly.

I know it seems like people are complaining a lot but I think that's just because this is such a great game with so much potential, and it's going to be made better and better by updates, dlc and mods over the coming years.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The harmony mechanic in battles is great, but I think it's a bit of a flop on the campaign layer. It just encourages gaming things in a way that feels both like busywork and deliberately cheesing the system. Maybe changing the bonuses around could work.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Really missing some mods and not really feeling the chaos realms. I think a lot of the factions will be fun with a better map though. Might try a Skarbrand campaign where I never engage with the chaos realm stuff except to use the portals to travel over to anyone who has a soul and annihilate them.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Does kaedrins mod manager work for TW3 or are we stuck with the default CA one for the time being?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Yeah without the chaos wastes, the map is really just norsca, empire, mountains of morne, dark lands and Cathay. Feels a little bit small compared to the vortex map. I'm hoping they shrink the chaos wastes quite a bit in immortal empires, and maybe add a bit more east of Cathay.

At least it's possible to start a fun campaign now, with mods that turn off the rift stuff, change victory conditions, let you change your start position, and turn off settlement battles. Would like to still have settlement battles occasionally with some tweaks to the towers, but might need to wait for more mods for that.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm having fun playing some demon campaigns with the change starting settlement mod. Demons up in the demon wasteland felt pretty boring, it's much more fun when it's Slannesh corrupting the empire or Khorne cutting a path through the Ork badlands.

The chaos wastes are a bit bland in that respect, most other biomes have a bunch of different races spread all over, but the wastes are just demons, demons and more demons with maybe some chaos warriors, and pretty much only inhabitable by demons. Will probably be less of an issue in IE, but in this one it feels like half the map is taken up by demon stuff.

I'm playing with the no minor settlement battles mod too and enjoying it much more this way. Ideally T3 settlements would still have them, will have to wait on a mod for that.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Slider posted:

Does anyone actually prefer the WH3 base map to the base WH2(vortex) map? you obviously can't compare WH3 map to the WH2 ME one but the WH3 map just does nothing for me, because of the limited spawn postions/LLs and the all the terrain feeling same-y. The vortex map had such huge variety comparatively. doesn't help that the top 1/4 of the WH3 map is not traversable by normal means.

Yeah so much space is taken up by the chaos realms and wastes that it doesn't feel very big or diverse after a while. I wonder what they're going to do with the chaos stuff in IE. As far as the art style change, I think I mostly like it. It's definitely more cartoony than WH2, but still looks good most of the time, and it's cool having every region change based on corruption. Might eventually get sick of that, but I'm sure a mod can tone it down or turn it off.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The unholy manifestations are definitely too expensive, on my Khorne game after taking over the entire dark lands and corrupting most of the surrounding provinces I could still only afford the second tier. Seems like the late ones require you to pretty much corrupt the whole map.

Definitely feeling the limited rosters compared to WH2. Also the lack of things like regiments of renown and all the other mechanics that most factions in 2 have to add more powerful or unique units into your army, really makes it feel more boring building up to a late game army and means you have pretty much the same comp for a long, long time.

Game has so much potential, I probably need to forget about it for a few months and come back when there's more stuff to play with.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I like the way tomb kings do it, where buildings increase your unit caps. Gives more incentive to build stuff in other provinces rather than just have one or two dedicated entirely to recruitment. I feel like most factions spend way too many turns with trash units, and by the time you've unlocked the tier 5 ones you're already so powerful there's not much point in using them. Having other ways to get a capped amount of more powerful units earlier on would be cool. Some factions already have something similar, and you can feel the difference when you're not playing them.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Well, at least they're pretty specific with what's coming when, so I can safely shelve this until the IE beta comes out and maybe go back to TW2 in the meantime. I'll miss the diplomacy changes though.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I really hope they go all out with the IE map, because if it doesn't include the full landmass of the vortex map, you'll be losing that part of WH2 forever.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I think a lot of people aren't thinking about what a massive undertaking IE is. It's basically an entire new game. Every single settlement needs a new map from scratch, as well as every single land battle map. The entire campaign map will be completely new as well. Every faction mechanic and campaign objective has to be integrated and balanced, before even touching faction and unit balance. It's an order of magnitude more work than porting the WH1 stuff to 2 was.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Going back to WH2 got it all modded up and looking pretty good with reshade. It made a few differences stand out though: WH3 is much better looking, and I'm definitely sold on its campaign map visuals after going back. Battle maps also look at better with the lighting changes. UI is a mixed bag. TW3s is more slick in many respects but I like the old parchment look better than the red all over everything. However the green unit selection colour is way better than the old yellow. Performance in 3 is much worse, hopefully they can improve on that by the time IE comes out.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I definitely have more fun fighting with smaller armies, that's why stuff like the Cathay caravan fights or empire ally defense battles are so cool. It would be neat to have every race have some kind of mechanic like that, where you get to play smaller, more focussed fights.

Like for example with vampire coast, instead of heroes doing the treasure maps, you could have a little bespoke army like the caravan that you send out to dig it up, and fight battles against a variety of factions to get the treasure.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A week after the disastrous road map was released Warhammer 2 has now taken a commanding lead over Warhammer 3 boasting about 50% more players.

It definitely got me back into playing TW2 and I'm having a blast. Missing some of the new features from 3 but TW2 all modded up and with the DLC will keep me going until next year when Immortal Empires might be playable.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
It would also be pretty sweet if they put in a system where you could choose how big the map is and what parts are included. Would mean they could have as big a map as possible without squishing provinces or cutting off the bottom of continents, because whatever issues might arise you can always choose a smaller chunk for a more focussed game.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Thinking of giving SFO a go in 2 to mix things up before IE comes out, can anyone recommend it, or fun campaigns to do with it?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Nah let him get in the doomdiver and get shot across the map directly into enemy lines doing massive aoe damage and then getting combat buffs while he krumps everyone around him

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Tried using an AI art program to make some thrones for the chaos gods.

Man there are gonna be so many fresh campaigns to try when IE comes out. I imagine there will be some pretty silly balance issues though. I imagine Settra will have a rough start.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Captain Beans posted:

Those look cool as hell, which AI made them?

Midjourney, they're going to move to open beta soon which means you won't need an invite to use it. People are making some pretty crazy stuff with it.

Norsca are the only pre-3 race to have less than 4 LLs right? So they're pretty much guaranteed to get more before too long. Other pre-3 races that could most do with more LLs would probably be tomb kings, empire, and vampire counts imho.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
We'll be at 90 after the 4 demon lord pack, right? So presumably another 4 for chorfs, plus likely another race pack at some point, that's 98 already. Add in 3-lord DLC packs and we'll probably get to 110ish in a couple years.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

E: Ah gently caress but no cos I like playing skaven, why do I like skaven but not orcs?

Because skaven get chainguns?

The only pre-3 races I haven't given a good shake yet are greenskins, counts, dark elves, norsca and WoC.

Will wait for norsca until they're updated, but should probably try the others once IE comes out. Leaning towards Ghorst, Rakarth and Skarsnik, for some reason I find goblins way more interesting than orcs. Chaos there will be too many options, have to see if any of the champions look the most fun.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
So in WH2 there were reasons to play on the vortex map now and then: some factions would have better stuff to do in vortex, like the books of nagash for TKs. Also if you wanted to play lustria or Southlands, the map was more expansive.

I can't see any reason to play the RoC map in 3 once IE comes out though. IE has all the same landmass plus way more, and the campaign goals are better.

The only question is, when they add new campaigns like the CoC stuff, will that race for the forgotten city thing they've got going on be in IE as well, or will they just have generic campaign objectives?

For example in 2, when you're playing Vampire Coast, the whole putting together the big weapon to fight the leviathan thing only happens in vortex if I remember? Would be a shame if those campaign goals were lost forever on porting to IE, and if they only introduce new factions with special campaign goals to RoC and not IE.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I probably won't mod out the minor settlement battles but I probably will find a mod that takes away towers and just leaves the barricades. Attacking just becomes such a slog with the towers and I hate it.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Angry Lobster posted:

The Nagash mod for WH2 is excellent, it has big dick hat energy. The lore tibdits and info panel text are really memetastic. A pity it was released at the end of WH2's life cycle.

It's been a fun final TW2 campaign for me, pretty challenging because everyone hates you and have no money. Have had to go back like 20 turns a couple of times and take a totally different tack, like not pissing off Settra so I can keep him as a buffer until I've sorted out Gor Rok. Should keep me going until IE comes out.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So close to Grimgor, but instead got Alarielle.

I also got Alarielle, but she was a top contender anyway as I haven't played a campaign on the donut since my very first, which was Tyrion. Plus get to scrap with N'kari now.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I've tried to get into 3K a couple of times but bounced off because a lot of the mechanics seemed much more complex compared to hams, and the battles felt weird, is there a good campaign to ease into learning everything slowly?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The trick with Luminarks is to only ever use the Templehof Luminark RoR. It has insanely long range and I never had any issues with accuracy. It absolutely deletes single entities, like I was killing an enemy's lord, hero and monsters before they even reached my lines. One of my favourite RoRs in the game.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

orangelex44 posted:

Normally I wouldn't do this, but this is an extremely rare example of a Good Reddit Post that is worth reading:

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wldmmp/comprehensive_guide_which_legendary_lord_to_pick/

Good advice for Lord picks. On a totally unrelated note, I think one of my favourite barks of any Lord is Gelt when he goes "I AM READY! ARE YOU?" , like drat I'm not sure if I am.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
It's kind of at odds with Settra's whole deal that he likes you more the more powerful you are. He always ends up being your best bro if you discover him later in the game.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm never gonna be able to decide which campaign to do first. Top contenders are probably Ghorst, Rakarth, Festus, Sisters of Twilight, Skarsnik. Want to do lizards as well but not sure who to pick, maybe Gor-Rok? Also really want to do a Valkia campaign at some point to go grab the sword of Khaine and stick it in Alarielle's ribcage.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

For me, a big element of choosing IE campaigns is going to be visiting areas that are mostly "feature complete." Since the map and number of potential campaigns is so expansive, I feel like there's gonna be enough to do without repeating Lords for a long, long time. For example, I know I'm gonna wait on Grimgor until the Chorfs are in and probably will wait on the Cathay area as a whole for a while. Archaeon and Franz are gonna feature early in my agenda too, just for the New Chaos/fighting New Chaos action.

I might hold off on Mazdamundi, Gor Rok, and Tehenuhain until the west coast of lustria gets filled in a bit; probably two more LLs to come there (Cathay expedition plus ?).

Nakai would be a good bet if you want to do Expedition to Cathay (although that's another area that is 100% getting revisited and filled out); Kroq' Gar is well positioned to enter the southlands thunderdome, and Oxyotl if you want to have an anti-chaos campaign, conqering the southern dark lands before teleporting around the world.

So maybe Kroq' if you like big lizards and Oxy if small/sneaky.

Yeah I'm going to avoid the darklands because there's not much there and I did my skarbrand campaign there via change starting settlement. Holding off on empire because I recently did a gelt campaign. For lizards I would love to go oxyotl but he was the last one I played, probably will go kroq gar as Southlands looks interesting. Will probably try Cylostra fairly early as well. I suppose I should try Greasus because I haven't played in the ogre mountains at all. As for Cathay, I'd probably try a sniktch campaign, or jet over there with sisters of Twilight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I wonder if they've made it harder for the AI to confederate as well, so you don't get the situation where after turn 100 or so, there's almost only one massive faction per race. Would prefer minor factions to stick around a bit longer, makes things more interesting.

The endgame scenario thing could be cool if you put it on they lowest difficulty and have it spawn early on, just to mix things up for certain regions, could also be a good way to gain allies by putting down a shared threat. Tons of modding potential too, I'm sure someone will add vermintide/chaos/beastmen before they're added officially.

Watching a zerkovich video and I found it interesting that he also hates minor settlement battles, be mentioned CA might be making more changes to them. Personally I'm going to just turn off towers but leave the barricades, and if I get sick of them I'll get the mod that makes the enemy sally out for a land battle half the time. Kind of a shame they put so much work into the maps when most people really don't like them much.