Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I look forward to the inevitable Nutcracker DLC pitting Kislev against the Skaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mordja posted:

For real, do none of you have sick days or something?

so, Nurgle will be your first campaign?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

What the gently caress is it about the campaign map that uses up so much GPU? Every 'end turn' sends my graphics card wheezing and groaning, yet the actual battles seem to run with like half as much GPU. Is this just insanely poor optimizaiton? What the gently caress?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Realm of Tzeench is tedious, awful bullshit. Everything else owns though. That is all.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Just finished my first campaign, as Kairos, and goddamn do I not enjoy these "survival" battles. Just absolutely impossible to tell where enemies are, when new ones have arrived, how any of my units are doing, just a mess strategically and visually. It's also weird to me that the fight doesn't end when you kill the boss, but forces you to finish off the drizzle of chaff streaming towards you... you'd think the player character would peace out, or the chaff would give up. It's also funny that the result is that the climactic end of the battle is a few demons disintegrating from army losses half a battlefield away and the battle just instantly ending.

The faction I'm next most interested to play is Cathay, but honestly the idea of playing against a lot of Tzeentch armies seems utterly miserable, so I might wait until barriers get rebalanced. Khorne it is!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I haven't found major issues with pathfinding in the cities, although I am a big fan of frequent pauses to get my guys organized even in field battles. My only real issue with them has been the camera in the bridge-heavy Cathay settlements, it's a pain to try to engage if your units are under on one side and the enemy's are under on the other.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know that every time you fight something you reveal one of the teleporter connections and white circles reveal two right? It's not much of a maze.

The problem isn't that it's a "maze", if it actually was then it'd be easy to just find the right path at the outset and follow it. The problem is that it's 15 turns of wandering around aimlessly, fighting the most pain in the rear end faction in the game, without any sense of progress or momentum.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I'm not actually sure that the "reveal sigils" option has redundancy protection.

It doesn't.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

The nurgle ranged artillery should just be a huge butt shooting giant turds at the enemy

I'm envisioning a certain poo poo-flinging boss from Sekiro.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Well that could explain how some people are having a very different time with the sigil reveals.

It also just doesn't help you some times. You spend three or four turns getting sigil reveals only to discover you've moved farther from the goal, and need at least three or four more moves to get where you're going.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Got as far as the first wave of portals in a Cathay run, lost the race in Slaanesh's realm and decided to bounce over to a Khorne run. Holy poo poo Skarbrand is insanely satisfying to play! Absolutely love that there is a "fight some dudes" button which I plan to be hitting pretty much on cooldown, and Bloodcrushers seem to actually be GOOD cavalry???

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah I loaded up a vs. AI game to check it out and see what's going on and it seems to be a combination of 1-2 units getting stuck in enemy armies and the rest staying put as well as the game dropping your movement orders randomly. You can sometimes trigger it even with no enemies by holding shift and having your army move in a zipzag/snake move and sometimes they will just stop midway.

I honestly think it's way more damaging to the game but hard to notice so people don't realize it. It can be very very difficult to even realize something is off unless the unit is relatively isolated or you try to have them disengage like above. You can give attack/movement orders to a unit and pan away and not even notice anything is bugged out. Heck, sometimes I've even noticed armies not even attacking when engaged with enemies and they have the "zzz" in their portraits and I've left them there for a long time. Armies like Khornes aren't going to notice it as much but slaanesh will really suffer for it. Will be interesting once fixed just to see how big an effect it had.

Also guard seemed to have no effect. The bug happened regardless.

I was just noticing this in some sieges as Khorne. I've got a goonsquad of 4 Furies to swat towers and rear-charge, so lots of movement commands all over the map. I was commanding them all at once in a control group, but I kept having one unit or another staying behind. I feel like it's most apparent in sieges because pathing is so important.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jokes posted:

I can't finish a campaign.

Every time I see a somewhat equally-matched army and it runs away from me every goddamn turn and if I try to engage they decide to withdraw instead. I'm waiting for mods (specifically the home region movement bonus mod), this loving sucks.

Ambush stance? Block army agents? Play Tzeentch and stop their entire faction?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Looks like the first hotfix is out, Steam just downloaded a 520mb update.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PerilPastry posted:

Any writeup of what's included?

Patchnotes are up: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tw-warhammer3-patch101/

Looks like nothing much.

quote:

PATCH 1.0.1
Fixed an issue where the multiplayer lobby would refresh too quickly, preventing players from being able to select and join a room.
Fixed an issue which prevented invites to a multiplayer lobby from working properly.
The game now runs in DirectX 11 compatibility mode for all users by default. This is to prevent instances where users inadvertently ran on the legacy implementation of the DirectX 12 beta.
Improved how 12th generation Intel CPUs (aka ‘Alder Lake’ family) interact with the game, providing more consistent framerates when running on these processors.

e: this patch has had the great effect of causing my game to crash every time i try to load a saved game. Awesome!

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Correct, you can only transfer settlements between factions that are at peace.

Doesn't stop a Tzeentch faction you're at war with giving them to one of your random neighbours though.

Edit: Honestly, I don't mind it too much, it's kinda funny when it happens.

There's an obvious solution: be at war with everyone :black101:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I'm loving the minor settlements as any faction that isn't reliant on gunlines and cannons. It was fun as Kairos to just light up the enemy's chokepoint defenders, it's fun as Skarbrand to just put two bloodthirsters on every entrance and envelop the enemy, and I had a good time with Cathay until I made the mistake of bringing a bunch of Iron Hail and cannons who really struggled to get their eyes on the enemy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Is there a reason people consistently misspell Miao as "Meow"? Is it just the standard racist "lol different name sound funy" thing?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

My favorite thing about the Realm of Tzeentch is when you come out of a portal onto a dead-end "side" of it, and trying to move anywhere else on the island just sends you back through the portal. Such an incredibly well-designed and engaging mechanic!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The cube puzzle was good because it was dead easy.
The 4x4 puzzle was a fun reason to whip out some markers.
The concentric ring puzzle was loving stupid, I just had a photoshop window open on the other monitor every time. I really, really want to know who playtested those.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

A couple days ago, I posted about a trick I discovered that allows Khorne to draw out city garrisons and armies. You encircle a city, use the Eternal War manifestation to attack yourself, and the city garrison will join the battle as reinforcements. You have to fight more guys, but not that much more due to the puniness of the summoned armies, and you get to fight on more even ground without towers and stuff. Since the garrison fights as reinforcements, they don't get to set up in a good position. Since AFAIK the reinforcement locations are based on where the armies are positioned on the campaign map, the garrison will always appear behind your starting location, making it easy for you to intercept them right as they arrive. If they're undead or demons, the city will be deserted or near deserted afterwards!

However, I found one thing you have to watch out for: Don't win too quickly, which is a real possibility with the summoned army being puny and Skarbrand being a one-model doomstack. If you do before the reinforcements arrive, the battle will end and reinforcement arrival timers will stop.

Huh, it doesn't give you an option to wait around for the reinforcements? I've been able to wipe out an initial army before reinforcements arrive and it's given me a "Hang around, or end the battle now?" option to click or not. Maybe because they're from different factions?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Onmi posted:

NOPE!

There are two paths chosen at random depending on which faction you're playing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/syr0uh/the_chaos_realms_tips_and_ai_cheats/

OP, can you add this to the OP, or perhaps your "reserved #2" post? it's not easy to find via google or Reddit search.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

In my first campaign, as Tzezentch, I only ever ended up controlling like 4 provinces and never more than 2 armies, one of which was just basic Horrors and the other of which was my Kairos doomstack. I felt like battles were easy enough, but economically I was always on the back foot, and between Cathay on one side and Ogres on the other I was always running from one fire to another.

Now I'm on turn 75 of my Cathay campaign with 6 full armies, of which 2 are peasants, 3 are Jade, and 1 is Miao Ying's Celestials, with a few Terra Cottas in each. I've got 11k income, pacified all of Cathay between me and my iron bro, none of the Norscans or Ogres really feel like threats. I wish I could just resummon the next two realms and close it out. The idea of hitting "next turn" for, like, 30 turns autoresolving Norscan sieges of my tier-5 Bastion walls doesn't seem super appealing, and neither does the idea of, idk, invading Ogredom or trying to take over the Chaos Wastes since that'll just make closing the next wave of portals all the more annoying. At least the Khorne realm forced me to fight Katarin so she wouldn't beat me to the Brass Citadel, that was at least an interesting play I wouldn't have made otherwise.

Realm of Tzeentch and Survival Battles aside, I think the campaign could be vastly improved by letting you speed up the next wave of gates somehow. Let me, like, pray to Chaos or something, vastly increasing chaos in my capital province but making the turn timer count down faster, or instantly spawn the portals but get multiple negative traits at once, or something. It'd also be a lot better if there was some way for your non-legendary lords to participate in the race - as it is it feels like the "optimal" play is to just make your home province tall, support a single doomstack for your lord, and do nothing else while you wait for the next set of portals, since being able to control more territory or field more armies is essentially irrelevant to the overall campaign goal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

What do you think is in those big bellies, my dude? More ogres.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Flakey posted:

Noticed just now that demolishing and replacing a Slaanesh cult building causes your new building's +Seduction to not be applied. :thumbsup:

There's a lot of weird poo poo like this with buildings behaving weirdly. I've been getting really weird results with Cathay's Control buildings' bonuses to recruiting peasant units - it seems like sometimes I can get them if I'm just in the right province, but sometimes I have to be in the specific settlement that has the building in it (not even just its region).

e: also, if you're feeling like you're not fighting enough field battles, play Miao Ying and consolidate the Bastion ASAP. The Red Wastes are a loving eternal thunderdome, and you can easily afford to have an army in ambush stance in front of each of the three gates at all times.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I just remember him gleefully streaming uninstalling WH2 from his computer. Why do that if you didn't think 3 was good?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kanos posted:

It's definitely partially this. It was somewhat plausible for him to maintain his insane psycho-brained stream/content schedule for end-stage TWW2 because end-stage TWW2 had an absolute shitload of content, but TWW3 is a whole lot thinner on the ground for *stuff*. You can't do 12 hour streams every day for weeks and also release videos on top of that without simply running out of stuff to do or show.

have i finally become old? because the idea of playing any videogame for 12 straight hours, much less doing that day after day, sounds absolutely miserable.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cracker King posted:

Yeah - all arguments are valid but I’m just surprised at how the conversation went from ‘good with caveats/concerns’ to ‘straight up unplayable.’

Like Cyberpunk was legit unplayable when it came out. And folks with multiple playthroughs complaining after the fact is just odd to me. Even if arguments are valid - like having to play to know.

Once Immortal Empires is out I’ll probably never play the normal campaign again either.

literally nobody has said the game is unplayable at any point in this thread

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

:siren:Khorne campaign hack: you can use the basic "eternal war" manifestation to refresh Skarbrand's movement after moving through a campaign portal, letting you get a step ahead in the Slaanesh or Tzeentch realms! Unfortunately you can't do the same with whatever that second Unholy Manifestation is, although I feel like that one might be bugged anyway.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Did people actually like the WH2 campaign? It wasn't as bad as WH3 Chaos (plus never ending minor settlement sieges) but... I personally basically didn't play until ME.

I appreciated the way that the race gave you a range of objectives. Do you try to raze Vaul's Anvil to slow Tyrion down, or try to keep it for yourself? Or just grab a ritual resource site from a minor faction? Do you have enough armies to protect your territory from the next chaos wave, or just your ritual sites? It fell apart when you learned how to break it, but then, what doesn't. And the final map was cathartic. And, as stated, the campaign map felt way better, especially if you're doing anything in the far South or West.

It really does feel like the WH3 campaign is just Vortex but worse in every way. Chaos invasions you can't time or ignore, a "race" where it's almost impossible to affect other contestants' progress, and these big climactic battles where your incredible "ability" is just... more units.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

It does seem like Nurgle is going to be really, really hard to balance between campaign and skirmish, since the faction seems designed around campaign-level buffs and debuffs. Unless they, like, let you choose some plagues to inflict on your skirmish opponent or something, I don't see how you can square that circle, they're always going to either underperform in MP or overperform in campaign.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

Do they not split the balancing for MP? I don't play MP but it seems dumb if they don't.

They don't, and it is. I've always felt that the key to balancing both was to adjust the cost of things in MP, so if something is "too good" you just make it cost more. But, well, that would be easy and make sense!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Vagabong posted:

He did seem to severely misunderstand what his relationship with CA was; I only saw the written statement, but he implied that he expected to be involved in the actual game dev, as opposed to being a marketing tool. It came off as fairly naive.

I can see where he'd get that idea when sooooooo much of his content is about breaking their systems with cheese and edge cases, and offering critiques (to his veiwers). I can see how you'd just kind of assume that they were interested in your ideas, not just the size of your viewerbase.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

The game has a difficulty slider. Why are you maxing it out? If they made one more notch that made it so your hero would die in one hit, called it extreme, he would be on it because it is how far the slider goes.

b-b-but my gamer cred!! in my singleplayer game!!!!!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Games can get really grating to play if you strive, as the developer putting forth the challenge, to keep the enemy from ever making mistakes. Hell, see the AI in Warham never looking for a fight it hasn't already calculated it can AR win and force marching around provinces looking for settlements to snipe. WH2/3 could really use a few simple AI profiles randomly given to generic non-LLs like "coward" "aggressive" "sneaky" and so on.

One thing I've found really refreshing, lame as it is, is that the enemy will sometimes offer fights that AR says they'll lose. I think this was most common with Khorne rebels, which makes total sense, but I think I've had it happen with other factions.

Yes, most of the time they're in forced march just out of my attack range... but sometimes!!

A Perfect Twist posted:

Firaxis found ways to liven up the formula a bit eventually. You can still do overwatch creep on maps without timers or after the objective is captured. There's also that faction order that makes it so the timer doesn't start until you reveal.

And an advanced difficulty option to double the length of all timers. That game actually had pretty good granular difficulty controls.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Oh man, Xcom

Why is there no Xcom 3 yet? Why did you have to remind me that there's no Xcom 3 yet :mad:

Don't worry, XCOM 40k is on its way!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i mean just imagine how much better this game would be if the campaign map was just a bunch of provinces, you could move one province a turn, that's it. no more whack a mole, guessing if the last 3% of your movement is enough to get you somewhere, etc. etc. it would cut out so much of the time wasted fiddling with movement and watching the AI with absolutely nothing of value lost.

I'm imagining the original Dawn of War campaign map, and I'm enjoying that image.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Flakey posted:

This is already in the game in the form of Clanrats coming out of Hellpit abominations when they die.

But the abomination is a single unit - you lose one card, gain another. Can't apply the same logic directly to horrors. What happens when I've got two armies of 20 Pink Horrors and they start splitting? Do I suddenly have 80 unit cards, half of which are two-model blue horror units? Or do I have a single unit of blue horrors stretched all over the map?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I think each soul or two Cathay has stored should get you a "wild" Yin/Yang point.

Kislev can get some Devotion and the demons...no idea. Bonus followers?

Honestly it would make Cathay much less annoying to play if you could widen the zone that counts as "balanced", from 0 exactly to +/-1, etc etc. Could be techs or high-tier buildings or something. I felt like I needed a spreadsheet to keep track of when all my buildings and researches were gonna complete, etc., and having something to mitigate that would make the faction feel less fussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

personally, I did my Tzeentch, Cathay, and Khorne playthoughs and decided I'd have enough of the central campaign... I've been thinking about going back and doing Legendary Khorne for the achievement now that they've changed so much about the portal bullshit for the better - nobody likes sitting in a capital for 3-5 turns but Skarbrand DEFINITELY does not prefer that playstyle. I can see why people wish the game were better, but it does seem pretty clear that when CA rushed something out. Luckily, there are other videogames.

lol