Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going to total these wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Winklebottom posted:

also he looks like this

MYAH

yeah yeah he got an updated model but this one is better

I love this model. I also love the story that GW kept rejecting the artist's pitches and so he got pissed off and sent them the dumbest skeleton he could conceive and they went "This is great! We're using it!" and that's that.

I don't even care if it is true, I believe it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Omnicarus posted:

The ogres should've had a Big Texas/Southern accent. "Y'all hungry I'm starvin"

I agree with this sentiment.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Eimi posted:

Honestly that'd be a cool rework of Arkhan. The first part of the campaign is him putting sleeper agents, consolidating power, and subjugating some undead, and then once you've done that you revive Nagash and he takes over as faction leader and you take over the undead and it's go time for world domination.

I opened a bunch of random threads while zoning out on my phone and at first I thought this was a proposal for reworking the Arkham Batman games, was finding the whole thing pretty awesome until Nagash gave me a double take.

Anyways, Warner, hire this poster.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, there was a mod for Warhammer 2 where you led an expedition through a series of battles and event-tier choices, with little to no Empire Management. Anyone here remembers it and has a link handy?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

It's Reuniting Lost Kin, pretty short but pretty cool. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2560175114

Thanks!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sindai posted:

The funniest part of the match was when Turin marched the magic damage RoR Hammerers to a side point and Enticity just microed 3 units of Syreens to literally run rings around them and cap the point with no losses.

lol, Enticity is a disgustingly good player, probably the best amongst well known streamers.

Caidin posted:

Are they gonna do anything about the various LL gear quests now that several of them are on completely different continents? Grombrindal is a long ways off from the Karak Norn these days.

I imagine they will be removing the quest steps and making the battles accessible by level, because yeah.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Back in the the day we would play the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome and watch spearmanii grind up against each other for 20 minutes per battle and we liked it

Man, EB1 was legit awesome. I did one of my all time favorite TW campaigns in it as the Sab'ba.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azran posted:

Absolutely no way it wasn't going to be Valkia the moment they announced it was a Warriors of Chaos DLC. There is no other noteworthy mortal champion of Khorne.

Khârn The Betrayer :colbert:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arghy posted:

If you don't have the DLC's can you still fight the new lords? Like if i don't buy the chaos DLC will i still be able to fight them as other races? I'm kinda burned out from CA leaving factions to rot until they can sell a DLC and i'll have so many other races to play might as well throw the DLC on wish list and save money.

Yes. DLC only unlocks the ability to play with content, but otherwise it is all there for you to fight against or ally with. You may not be capable of getting DLC units from outposts though, but not 100% sure on that. Someone without Ogres could test that, I guess?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Omnicarus posted:

End game crisis that is Napoleon getting portaled into the world and suddenly the greatest threat is La Grande Armée

That would legit own, to be honest.

[edit]Has anyone seen if Tomb King units recruited through outposts cost maintenance?

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 15, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arghy posted:

I'm a little worried that the normal AI won't snow ball so you'd just get stagnation then the end game scenario would wipe out turn 100 AI armies filled with T1 units. It'd be really lovely if that was the case but then the end game scenarios would be the only real challenge. In the end i'd rather 1 super powerful AI faction over 20 stagnant factions so depending on the AIs performance that might be the only real option.

Yeah, same. A lot of factions get their fun toys at T4+, so campaigns where that is just a victory lap barring endgame crisii is a... Disappointment, really. To be fair a long grinding hellwar is kind of tiring too, but I might be in the minority where what I want out of my TW campaigns is faster growth, smaller campaign map and more battles with small and mid-size armies (love the Cathay caravans for this, also the Empire defence missions).

Something I've done to make TW campaigns interesting is to send expeditionary forces somewhere. Like Estalia (with Cataph's mod) going to Lustria with a single army and trying to survive with only that or sending a couple of Legions from Rome to Egypt and giving them no more reinforcements. I am not at risk of losing the campaign, but the expedition is in danger, which keeps some drama on my map painting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randarkman posted:

A random kind of thing that popped into my mind as I was watching a bit of a Karl Franz campaign stream and it was mentioned how they seem to have forgot about the new reinforcement delays thing for the various event battles you can get as the Empire and how they need to fix that. I hope, that in addition to fixing that, that they also make those battles a bit less throwaway and matter a bit more, because as long as you win (which you'll basically always do with the autoresolve, but now might not having to wait 2 minutes to appear while the AI flails about) it doesnt really matter hwat happens to your preset out of nowhere lovely detachment and random non-existent lord. They just disappear back into the ether after the battle.

So instead what would be cool would be if they brought back say the Reiksmarshal title (or any kind of thing you can assign to one of your lords) and that you need to have a lord with that title around in order to choose the option where you send that detachment, but instead of just being temporary units that disappear and don't matter, what you send is that lord and units from their army, paying a deployment cost for each you bring. They get damaged or wiped out in the battle that sticks around, but you'll also get experience and such on the lord assigned to this office. I dunno, feels like that would be a major improvement to me.

This is a really cool idea. A Reiksmarshall that works kinda like Cathay Caravans, but instead of being eaten by Ogres and getting really powerful items you can send it to protect Empire Minor settlements when they're attacked.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i wonder if the empire has civil or common law

args for common: gdubs in britland

args for civil: its a sendup of the holy roman empire, complete w bickering elector counts

Civil clusterfuck.

(Source: Sigmar's Heirs from WFRP 2E)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if there's precedent books, doesnt that mean that they do stare decisis? so wouldnt it be variegated like the us is with louisiana?

I dunno, man. It's a mess.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

99pct of germs posted:

CA really likes their sweeping, across the board changes that they sneak in. Re: port income nerf and knee capping growth

Jokes on them, I am going to use the mod that gives racial capitals tier 4 on turn 1

assuming it's been made for 3

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope some of the OCs that we've had eventually get a full FLC treatment to become Legendary Lords. Surtha Ek and Sarthoriel might be jobbers, but we've been living with them for six years at this point and I'd bet the Warhammer/Total War community has more affection and memories of them than any of the "angry dude with a signature weapons" that haven't been added yet.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd legit like it if Dwarfs got a Grudgeraker unit that operated like a more durable regiment of Iron Hail gunners.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dramicus posted:

If Commander Morgan Bernhardt doesn't make it in with Dogs of War, I'm actually going to throw a tantrum IRL.

Before Cathay and Kislev were announced I was certain Dogs of War would be a core race just because of the DLC potential and the possibility of Morgan Bernhardt being poster boy for the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Total War exclusive guys tend to burn out hard when they do. Ninjahund tilted pretty hard before loving off, ElichTV grew more and more frustrated with post-support TWW2 and the unhappiest man in Australia is going full Legend of Total Whine. Glad that Turin plays some other games that I am mildly interested in, hope Enticity can escape the curse.

I love these games, but I think if I played them eight hours a day I wouldn't be capable of ignoring their issues.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

AnEdgelord posted:

Indypride also focuses on other warhammer games which is another path out of the TWWH cul-de-sac some content creators find themselves in.

Speaking of Indypride, I am happy for Oakley/Invicta successfuly switching the focus of his channel from Total War battles to mid-length historical documentaries. Probably the right call once Total War stopped being historicalı, since that's what he was into. He's doing pretty well for himself in that particular niche, if views are anything to go by.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What 4 units from an allied faction would you most be excited to have in [x] faction's army?

If tombking units don't have upkeep I imagine ushasbti greatbows would be a auto include.

Ratling Gunners in every army for every faction.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

orangelex44 posted:

The thing is, I still don't think WH3's release was nearly as bad as the hardcore community made it out to be. The major complaints from it really only started showing up if you played for dozens of hours.

Yeah, I feel it was a bit overblown and big screamers like Legend of Total Whine didn't help, honestly I'd say the biggest thing was just burn out from playing what's essentially the same Total War game for six years. Not my favorite campaign, but I got two full campaigns out of it and felt satisfied with what I got and was ready to leave the game there until Internet Explorer got its release.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Third World Reagan posted:

Ok, betting tables are open

What bug /s are going to be with the release of IE

You win nothing but I'll say bonus points for esoteric bugs

Norsca will break the entire game again, causing another six months long delay for the content pipeline.

The blood DLC will literally melt people's graphic cards.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Nakai fuckin owns and its about drat time for this thread to realize it

Always had. He's one of the few lords I did two campaigns with in 2. Caveat: I used the mod that disables war declarations on vassals.

His Vortex campaign against an upscaled Markus is really fun and I wish there was more like it in the game. Fighting against a huge faction is hella fun and is way more interesting than the usual Warhammer-titles thingie of everyone being minors. Likewise his Mortal Empires game is super fun for the sheer joy of going through Imperial factions with your Dinopark action.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Am I the first person in the world to see this map?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You can play 100% cav, as Total War extraordinaire content creator Yrridian shows below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9xipwq3nrs

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grumio posted:

Andy Hall:

Goons: So you're telling me there's a chance

TWW4 will release with the core factions of Ind, Nippon, Kuresh and Australia.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ravenfood posted:

The entry to IE is to have WH1 and 2. You don't need (and probably shouldn't buy) any of the other DLC unless you played a race and loved it, really love the sound of a specific LL, or have been slowly buying them for the past 6 years and have brainworms like me.

It is kind of nuts that WH1 and 2 are still full price though, even if they do go on sale frequently.

It is to me insane that both games are now 60% more expensive than they were on release in my country, but hey, that's regional pricing and devaluing currencies. Like I tell my local friends not to bother getting the games at this price point, even though the Total Hammer series is one of my all time favourite ever ever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Chad Jihad posted:

It would be nice if you could play the maps from 1 and 2 in 3, cleaned up a bit to support the new mechanics. Give a bit more of a reason to own them (although the race unlocks are a pretty big benefit).

I'm a fiend for more maps though, I'm the guy who was bummed they went away from 1 race + new map dlcs

I unironically agree with this. Immortal Empires is incredibly impressive, but I also think like three quarters of it will be superfluous for 90% of the campaigns I play.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Fortunately nationalism isn't part of the cultures of Russia or China so it wasn't an issue at launch.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pierson posted:

Speaking of other TW games are there any other decent-and-recent non-Warhammer ones? I know Three Kingdoms barely even gets to the Three Kingdoms part which is hilarious, what about Troy and Brittania? A smaller-scale TW sounds fun after IE.

Troy is a good Total War game, not as replayable as others. Unit rosters have a surprising variety despite being different types of spearmanii and elite units are extremely powerful. In my opinion Mythos elevates it to the level of the Warhammer games and is the state the game should have been released as, but I am also a huge Bronze Age and Greek Mythology fan, so I am very much the target demographic.

My main advice is that unless you're playing Odysseus the tiny Aegean isles are a trap, as enemies can move very quickly through the sea and it's a pain to defend them. Grab them if you must, but sell them to your allies instead.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Muscle Tracer posted:

The WH3 version of autoformation is extremely anemic comparsd to 3K, it's literally just missile front / missile back.

Deployment formations save IF the army composition doesn't change at all - and recruiting or unit losses resets it.

There's a mod that allows saving unit formations and they deploy relative to the commander's position. Highly recommend it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2795767181

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Doomykins posted:

Are Vampire Coast/Mercenaries the only truly free people in the setting?

Greenskins.

40K, but who cares posted:

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Doomykins posted:

They may be philosophically so dense that they win by default but both are absurdly cruel and you have bad odds of being an abused lovely Goblin or Gnoblar in either society, or even just a runty ogre. At least you can overcome those in many cases to rise up, Greasus himself once being a runt and the nastiest goblins being insanely nasty, cunning bastards.

So free, but not just might makes right? Norscans are technically pretty free but also a feudalistic barbarian warlord society. I guess they might be less dickish than an abusive noble society if you're a tundra farmer.

Even the worst off Goblin is so high on mushrooms all the time that they willingly and gleefully jump into a flying suicide machine and they go down laughing in an all consuming joy during the landing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm really liking the Miao Ying custom lord campaign. Lots of neat new units and stuff to deal with. Constantly being attacked by Japanese Nipponese pirates (this AI faction has its own unique units) in Cathay is fun. And your legendary lord gets chased around Lustria by armies of dinosaurs, Jurassic Park style.

E: pretty sure its on the first page for most popular mods but here's the link too
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2809744514

Oh, that's really cool. Thanks for the rec, might give it a try!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is there a reason all dog units don't have a bonus vs skeletons :thunk:

goddamn

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Omnicarus posted:

Royal Dog, tier 3, armor and an expendable peasant handler.

I honestly miss the dog handlers from historical Total Wars. Really loved dogs being essentially fire and forget missiles in older titles. Also loved the absolutely insane Archers + Hyenas units that Aksum had in Attila.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am so hyped for patch 3.0 that I am ready to become what I've always feared, a thread poster

wiegieman posted:

Dwarves do use swords, they're the holy weapon of Gazul, the third brother of Grungni and Grimnir who protects the souls of the dead and hunts the most terrible threats. It's just that his priesthood is quite small, so it doesn't come up much. They use axes and hammers because those are the tools the Ancestors repurposed as weapons when they first had to make war, but Gazul needed a purpose built weapon to do his job -- Zharrvengryn, the first and mightiest of all swords.

It's a big deal to a Dwarf to make a sword, since it has no purpose other than to be a weapon.

also this was a good post and a lore bit I didn't know

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 13, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Third World Reagan posted:

chorfs too easy, can't play them

power creep is real

CA make a hard faction please

No joke, Tehenhuain Vortex was the last unmodded campaign I really enjoyed. I am also one of the two sickos who liked Nakai Vortex against the huge Huntsmarshall expedition faction, reminded me of going against the WRE in Attila as one of the barbarian tribes. It is a shame CA has mostly dumped dynamic starts that buff up antagonist factions, because I like my main opponent being swole from the word go.

I am also kinda bored of contemporary philosophy being playable factions starting with a single region that you then expand, I really miss the assymetrical starts of historical games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cythereal posted:

Although there are a couple of points of improvement if you take the RPG as gospel: gay marriage is legal (in the Empire and Kislev), and there is free, no-drawback, 100% effective birth control available because the human goddess of fertility and love teaches that no one should feel required to have children.

Yeah, Empire in fantasy has a better quality of life than the historical HRE and honestly the Storm of Chaos (before it got retconned into end times) was way less lethal than the 30 Years War. Archaon has nothing on Gustavus Adolphus.