Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ChickenHeart posted:

Norsca should get the Barbarian from HeroQuest who leads a neutral/order subfaction with fewer monsters and more LOINCLOTHS

Honestly this would be cool as poo poo -- something like Drycha in that you're completely at odds with the rest of your faction. Human and animal units only, and both Chaos and Order hate the poo poo out of you at first so you have a few different choices:

A) beat up Chaos enough that the order factions realize you're actually one of the good guys and open up diplomatic relations

B) Go after Chaos on your own without Order's help, even raiding their settlements to finance your own private war against Chaos

C) Abandon Norsca entirely and colonize Lustria/Southlands/Cathay/whatever, until Chaos or other Norscans hunt you down for being a traitor

Hire me as the Ideas Guy, CA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Aren't there a bunch of tiger beastmen who are actually good guys in not-India or something?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

moonmazed posted:

wtf is the deal with the poop buildings orcs and ogres have? are the brits just obsessed with the idea of "savages" living in their own filth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWIo-XhuIE

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I really liked the that 3k system. For anyone who didn't play it, yeah the units were tied to the lord, and the type of units they could recruit was dependant on the general type (so, like you had a general that specialized in cav, infantry, artillery, ect that could get access to better quality units of a given type. For example only the strategist had access to artillery and the better ranged infantry, though said hero was lovely in combat, and they generally had bad melee infantry and no cavalry). A full army comprised of the general, 6 unit cards underneath said general, then 2 heroes that had 4 unit cards underneath each of them respectively, so a 'full' army was effectively 17 cards all said and done. If you reserved a hero their entire attachment leaves, and when you bring them out, as stated the entire unit comes with and musteres out in 3 turns.

I would love for the system to make it in if they made a sequel in the 3k engine, and it would allow a lot more fluid ability to handle like Grimgors Immortulz and similar for any lord or hero that had a special retinue. Not to mention it would give you some interesting choices to make with army composition, and would make like the huntsmarshal campaign really interesting with dwarf and elf auxiliaries floating around under their respective heroes.

Each general in an army could take 6 regiments, for a total of 18 regiments per stack as well as your 3 heroes. It was a pretty cool system, and your heroes even got combat bonus/malus depending on how much they liked the other heroes in the stack and how long they had served together.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

IIRC putting generals that hated each other in the same army still gave you bonuses, just different ones from if they liked each other. Less "I'll give my life for my brother in arms" and more "I'm gonna prove how much of a badass I am to this limpdick I'm forced to serve with"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'm planning to become best friends with the dwarfs as the Empire, as the below diagram demonstrates

(from reddit)

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 19, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'd be down with alliances being more important and confederation harder if they'd make it less of an awful trap to be military allies. If one of my allies declares war on the other, it should be THEM that suffers a penalty for breaking a treaty with ME, not the other way around. Like, "non-aggression with my allies" should be built in to an alliance treaty.

This is one of many diplo annoyances that Three Kingdoms fixed: Military alliances weren't one-offs between individual factions, but NATO-like organizations with official names and members. Every member in an alliance was officially allied with every other member, and anyone wanting to join had to get approval from a majority of the current members.

Declaring wars on vassals was still hosed, however, NAPs didn't cover them and you'd get slapped with a big treachery penalty for defending them from from someone you had a NAP with. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Wonder what Alberic's endgame crusade will be -- Louen and the Enchantress get a choice between Chaos and Orcs, while Repanse picks between the Tomb Kings and the Vampirates.

Dark Elves or Skaven, maybe?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah Bretonnia has some of the best hammers in the game, but their anvils are pretty much just pillows. You want enough cavalry that the peasant mobs don't have to hold out for long before the knights swoop in shove their lances up the assholes of whatever they're fighting.

Once you get a decent economy going you can use other cav types like questing knights or Grail Guardians as your anvils, but that gets hella expensive real quick.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Pierre McGuire posted:

trying out the champions of chaos (Sigvald) and I haven't really played any melee focused factions before and in particular Chaos. What should I be building towards for my armies in terms of composition? A line of chosen with some chaos knights/monsters/hellcannons to support?

That's basically what I've been doing as Archaon -- I usually have a row of chaos spawn in front as meatshields and then an assortment of chaos warriors behind, although my Tzeentch-themed stack has a bunch of gifted horrors for some ranged firepower. Knights/bloodcrushers on the flanks to loop behind and hammer/anvil if I get the opportunity.

Big change of pace for me too tbh. I typically like the more conventional factions like Empire or Bretonnia or the high elves where I let the enemy come to me and then hammer them from behind with cavalry.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Noir89 posted:

I was going to do one but waiting for his scriptbugs to get fixed, if I can't turn Imrik into the superpowered broken smuglord he is supposed to be then what is even the point :colbert:

This -- Imrik was my favorite campaign in WH2 and I'm pumped to get back to my smug boi when they make him the Fantasy A-10 he deserves to be. The presumed Chorfs update will probably be a pretty big gamechanger for him as well

Also probably going to wait for one of my favorite WH2 mods to be updated, which gave him a noncanon but equally badass sister: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2448335267

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

In my Archaon campaign I managed to wear Malus down by tarpitting him with chaos spawn and then peppering him with pink horrors and my Tzeench sorcerer spamming blue fire, but man he is by far the most annoying LL to kill. Theoretically you can just kite him around and let the constant damage from the possession wear himself out, but once he gets his mount that's a hell of a lot easier said than done especially if you have a bunch of infantry left on the field.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

A new patch is slated to be released on Tuesday. Some of the interesting features include an Ultimate Crisis Mode option that pops every endgame crisis, new models for Doom Knights, and some ability for Archaon and Kholek to confederate. The old roadmap suggested that it would come with another group of Regiments of Renown, but I’m not seeing anything about it. I thought we would have previews of them by now.

Hope they fix the Bretonnia heraldry bug as well -- I want my knights to wear every color under the sun rather than all wear the same boring colors of their faction. If I wanted uniformity instead of hodgepodge feudalism I'd play the Empire. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I wonder why they still have Wulfrik starting in Norsca. His title is "the Wanderer", his faction is "the World Walkers". For all that, he's stuck at home, and often draws the shortest straw from being pressed on all sides by Belakor, Azazel and Throgg. It'd be both more interesting to put him somewhere else and with his lore you can probably justify making that just about anywhere.

I think the answer is basically that he's the "default" Norsca character, and like Karl/Tyrion/Katarin etc. they like to put the posterboys in their homelands.

Norsca desperately needs a couple more LLs though, and I hope they put them far away from home.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Randallteal posted:

CA should add Slambo as a chaos equivalent to Gotrek & Felix, except terrible. Awful stats, really expensive, and he shows up on the campaign map and shouts "Slambo!" over and over again until you recruit him.

Whenever Slambo is not leading an army, all the other Lords' diplomacy lines should be asking, "WHERE SLAMBO?!"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Pierre McGuire posted:

the warband upgrades for champions of chaos is such a good idea - something they should absolutely spread around to other factions if they can. I should be able to buy my lothern sea guard shields and just hand them out rather than have to re-recruit the unit if I want to have a backline with better missile defense. Or if I get my empire swords/spears to max unit rank I should be able to promote them to greatswords/halberds if I have access to them already!

Bretonnia is the most obvious beneficiary of this, I think, with each of their knight types upgrading into the other and branching out into swords/lances and exotic mounts like pegasi or hippogryphs.

Would also love to see Grail Knights/Guardians get unit sizes cut down to maybe 10 models each but have each dude get huge buffs in comparison -- both A) to represent that most Questing Knights meet a grisly fate and never get close to meeting the Lady and B) because Grail Knights are supposed to be literal superhumans who can throw down with daemon princes and have a decent shot at winning.

Could even do the same with the peasant troops, starting them out as mobs and then gradually upgrading into men-at-arms with various weapons. Could even potentially move them out of the peasant economy mechanic if they get good enough, to represent their graduation from conscripts armed with sharpened farming tools to professional soldiers on retainer by their local lord.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I'd love to know who the most powerful lord is in straight up dueling, fully leveled out

It's gotta be someone like Skarbrand or Kholek right?

Imrik is certainly in the conversation here I think, especially if he gets his dragon buffs from the campaign

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Think Large is generally defined in this game as anything horse-sized or bigger, so you can use that as a guideline.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Playing as the Empire and I don't know if I'm an idiot or WH3 is doing something annoying that 2 didn't.

I'm trying to set up a checkerboard gunline with halberds and rifles by arranging the unit cards in sequence on the toolbar, but when I pull out the formation on the battlefield it defaults to putting the guns in back. Is there a way to stop the game second-guessing me and put the units all in one line? Really tedious to arrange the units one by one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

It's important to remember that Warhammer is a medieval setting, grimdark and intentionally taking the piss out of almost every form of government being at least half fascist. Like "the local lord wants your stuff and you're a peasant" medieval, and the Empire has a lot of corrupt shitbags and they're still a cut above being Bretonian where the Lord and peasant divide is much harder and more literal, or hell societies like Skaven, Greenskins or Ogres where the strong and particularly useful cronies have a good time, I guess. Even enlightened societies like the High Elves see slavery as just if they don't like who they apply it to.

Add Kislev and Cathay that are both ruled by super strict elites that can vanish dissenters with majority support. At least Cathay has a cult of veneration and arguably the dragons are the difference between Cathay as we know it and complete extinction via chaos. Benevolent as they may be the Empress still has a secret police assassin sect.

A Von Carnstein riding into town, ritual executing the worst people you've ever known in your life, repealing oppressive practical and taxes and saying "pay this tribute monthly, tell me if anything fucks with you, attractive virgins come to my castle bi weekly" is a pretty sweet deal if you get even one insane Witch Hunter, Noble or Sigmarite Priest in charge going too hard.

I wonder what societies are actually decent. Dwarves, since they're hard wired to accept their lot? A strictly regimented society where everybody sincerely enjoys being duty-bound? The only real bias seems to be against innovators and the Slayer oath culture is super strict. Also all their traditions are slowly driving them extinct, but at least your Thane and Kings are comparatively fair?

Norscans? Another might makes right society. Lizardmen? Another nearly robotic rigid caste society but again everybody is predisposed to liking it. Chaos doesn't hide that it's 4+ different ways to go to hell and drat your soul. Chorfs are super slavers and turbo evil.

Are Vampire Coast/Mercenaries the only truly free people in the setting?

Wood elves probably aren't so bad? Yeah they abduct the occasional Bretonnian child but that's so far down the list of atrocities committed every single day in the Old World that it barely even registers.

Just hang out and dance in the trees all day and occasionally pull out your bow and pincushion some fool beastman or orc or man that got lost in your woods. Seems like a pretty chill existence

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's the only war wagon worth using imo -- I don't even really bother wheeling it around that much, just treat it as a hellblaster with more elevation so it can shoot over my gunline's heads.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

It has been simplified for game 3. The “casting often decreases your overall magic for the battle” thing is gone. Magic dribbles from your reserves to your usable magic pool at a set rate, unless you use a skill that increases “Power Recharge Rate.”

When you gamble at the beginning, it’ll take winds out of your reserve and put them into your usable pool if you win and do the reverse if you lose, so you’ll still get the same amount of overall wind points whether you win, lose, or forgo the roll.

If you’re talking about game 1 or 2, yeah, it gets more complicated, and someone else will have to fill in the blanks.

This explains a lot of stuff that's pretty opaque by default, thanks for this.

What on earth is even the point of the pre-battle gamble though? Before, I knew the eligible numbers were between 1 and 30 so it was pretty easy to decide: hit the gamble button if it's under 15 and decline if not. But it actually seems like it makes almost no differance at all long-term? Why is this even here?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

lol you used to have to walk your wizard over like he was a cannon to use wind spells

ha I remember this well. Nothing like getting my grey wizard owned by enemy cav because I put him at the end of the battle line, hoping to get a better pendulum cast

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it would be cool if they went back and redid combat animations for some of the old lords. a lot of the game 1 LLs have super generic melee animations, it would be nice to see vlad do vampire shenanigans in melee or karl franz doing some fancy hammer poo poo. i'd pay for a Karate Lessons dlc for the old LLs.

yeah Archaon fights like a Dark Souls boss now and it's rad as hell. Probably lost a few battles I should have won because instead of microing my dudes I was just zoomed in super close watching him kick some Norscan rear end

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I’ll only accept vassalization as an Empire mechanic as long as I still get to see the entire region painted red on the map with THE EMPIRE splayed across it.

:colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Guard mode helps a lot with this, but I always forget to set it, so my greatsword dudes wind up chasing a unit of routing goblins halfway across the map before I notice them.

You can have it on by default but I wish there was more granularity. Having infantry, archers and anyone else on foot set to guard mode by default would be great, since they'll never catch up with fleeing enemies anyway, but I want it off for cavalry, monsters and mounted heroes.

Oh well. :sigh:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

The rear flank summon is great too. Flanking not only piles in the damage(which tanks morale) but itself tanks morale. I had so much fun in my Tretch playthrough, Menace Below might be the single best mapwide, definitely top 3.

The Chaos equivalent Summoned From Beyond s is hella fun as well, nothing like dumping a bunch of bloodletters on top of a unit of archers. Idk if something fucky is going on with it though -- as Archaon there were a bunch of battles where it didn't show up as an option at all, despite having enabled the gift of Khorne that granted it. :iiam:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I always wind up picking Fire, Shadows and Heavens because buffs/debuffs are visually boring and I like when big explosions go boom. :shrug:

It's like picking the evocation school in 3.5 D&D: Yeah abjuration and divination are objectively stronger but rolling a big fistful of dice when your fireballs and lightning bolts go off is way more fun.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

In my experience, kinda? There's not as much clearance as you think so if the dwarfs are even a little bit elevated they block the handgunner's LOS. It does give you more flexibility for deploying on a hill though, the incline doesn't need to be as steep as it would be with all human units.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

They should just collapse the levels and skill trees so they don't have to make 50 skills that are interesting (because its impossible).

Shrink the max level to like 20 and make each level actually mean something

Characters in Three Kingdoms maxed out at level 10 iirc, and their character sheet/skills were way more streamlined. Having spells complicates it a bit but that could easily be a different tab.

Would love to see something like this come to Warhammer but probably not until they start work on Total War Age of Sigmar or whatever

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Why does the game care even a little bit about how much ammo you use, you literally get all of it back between fights :psyduck:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Playing as Bretonnia and finally got far enough in the campaign for allied units to come online.

Grail Knights backed up by rocket artillery and wood elf archers, wowza. With Louen as a one-man (/hippogryph) wrecking ball dunking on every lord in sight. :swoon:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Archaon is indeed a bit of a faceroll but he does get to sample basically the entire Chaos roster, so he’s a good entry point for the new WoC. It’s fun to figure out which units you like best and then branch out into the other champions or daemons focused on the individual gods.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Nea posted:

Which faction should i play for the best artillery?

Empire

Nea posted:

Which faction should I play for the best 'single guy who can gently caress up 300 guys'.

There are a bunch of them spread throughout the factions, but Imrik is my favorite.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Archaon and Kholek are probably out too because pre-IE the WoC campaign was about the least fun video game experience imaginable

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah, all of the Elector Counts have to be confederated or conquered by force. Conquer them and then install your own Electors but eat the imperial authority malus if that's your jam, or juggle the prestige and dilemmas to confederate.

Good rule of thumb is to always have 1000 gold and 1000 influence in the bank at all times, iirc that's the most you ever have to pay to avoid losing authority or prevent a civil war.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hit the point in my Louen campaign where I've united the homeland but still need a few thousand chivalry to beat the game, so now I've just become Team Bretonnia: World Police. Got Louen in Kislev fighting Chaos and Norsca, Bohemond the Beastslayer (via Mixu's mod) cleaning up the undead in Sylvania before hitting the mountains to get rid of Azhag and Grimgor, Repanse in the southern realms dealing with Ikit and the rest of the Skaven, and the Fay Enchantress holding down the fort at home as Wulfrik and Throgg break stack after stack against the walls of Couronne and Marienburg Mariannebourg.

Gifting settlements and allied recruitment makes this playstyle a hell of a lot more fun than it used to be. Every order faction in the game wants to be my best friend and I'm making fat cash by selling settlements back to the original factions who owned them before I press onwards in my crusade.

Bretonnia's roster might be one of the more boring in the game, but the freedom the game gives you to make your own fun all around the world makes it ridiculously fun.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Do people actually fill up their stacks with LSG? I usually just have a pair of them on either side of my archer line to protect against cheeky flanks and reinforce the front if needed, and have spearmen/Silverin guard making up the frontline instead.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

The dragon battles do seem to be fixed right now, they give the traits if that's what you were thinking of. Got some bad news for your regarding the islands though; They're orange climate for Imrik.

Which is loving bullshit, they're the Dragon Isles. There was a mod in 2 that fixed this fortunately, wonder if it's been ported to 3 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair here, the lack of introductions is a deliberate design choice so that it’s less of a lift to move LL starting positions in the future if they need to. They’ve stated in the past that those introductions, as fluffy as they might be, created a ton of overhead if they wanted to so much as think about changing an existing Lord’s start position.

This makes a lot of sense once you consider that moving an LL requires not only re-doing their intro, but also the intros of all their neighbors so they don't mention someone who isn't there anymore.

I can't remember what WH2 did but in 3K each "and then there's this guy here to watch out for" was sequestered in its own line of dialogue so it was potentially easier to take out from the overall intro if needed. They also had the intro as a dialogue between the advisor and the LL in question, which I thought was cool.