Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Slambo should have been the antagonist of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dr Christmas posted:

Nagash’s old miniature is from the unified Undead army book, from before there was a split between Vampire Counrs and Tomb Kings. Google tells me he was an extremely high level wizard who was good in melee then too.

He was not merely 'good' in melee, he had the stats to bench press a giant and the gear to chop a dragon to bits easily while being an extremely potent caster and having a ton of special rules at the same time. 4th and 5th edition, aka 'Herohammer', were savage af.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm not gonna be able to play today, gently caress my life.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm about to finish my first campaign, Katarina, and to take a breather I've started my second campaign, VH Kairos, I'm in turn 30 and has been a painful slog so far. Don't get me wrong, Kairos himself is a beast, a very potent mage without even taking the winds of magic glitch into consideration, however I'm not really liking Tzeench as a faction.

The starting province is long and stretched between impassable mountains and Cathay's bastion, with limited avenues of expansion. Horrors of both varieties are great early game troops for field battles, but are not that good in minor settlements and siege battles, and Cathay's armies are improving their troop quality while mine are not. Growing my settlements has been taking forever, and the economy is not great as well, basically I'm relying on battle money all the time. And beware of Kairo's quest battle, you thought Katarina's quest for the crystal cloak was hard? Kairos' is much much worse. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and I should aproach it differently, perhaps invading Cathay is a loving trap and I should have gone south instead, who knows.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean it just shows how different are the tastes of people playing the game. For me, Mortal Empires was ignored afterthought of a game mode, while the various Vortex campaigns were the meat of the game I spent like 95% of time in. I have still not finished a single Mortal Empire campaign, despite being pretty much done with WH2, while completing something like 12 Vortex campaigns.

Yep, basically it's sandbox campaigns vs heavily objective focused campaigns. Most people prefer the former. The problem with the Realms of Chaos campaign is that it forces you to actively pursue the primary objective on a strict timetable and the game punishes you for not doing so.

I don't mind this as long as some of the worst offender poo poo gets toned down and/or we get more variety of gameplay options in the future, however I understand that some people gets upset about this, it's a more heavy handed aproach to objective based campaigns compared to previous games.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Big dick birb.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm starting to think that minor settlement battles and sieges were designed this way on purpose just to mess with ranged armies.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kanos posted:

If they are, they failed pretty miserably, because having ranged units is a titanic advantage in them. Ranged units can usually arc fire over walls to support adjacent lanes and if you can take any sort of open space town square you can line your dudes up and focus fire just fine. Ranged units are also the easiest way to permanently shut down the towers everyone hates until you can take the objective controlling them. It's slightly more obnoxious doing the classic "select all range and click a unit to delete it" in city streets but you're still pumping a huge amount of DPS so it doesn't really matter.

I guess it's a nerf to 100% ranged armies with no melee units but three of the ranged-haver factions rely heavily on hybrid melee/ranged units, and the only faction with pure dedicated ranged units(Cathay) gets huge stat bonuses for sprinkling in some melee, so....

Archers with good arch fire? Absolutely, they sre great, however units with poor arc of fire get it rougher, it's also very map dependent. I guess I'm just frustrated after several battles as the attacker in lovely settlement maps :v:

The lesson here is that I should use more offensive melee units than I used to in Wh2.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Anyone has attempted a domination victory yet? Sounds tempting to just ignore the soul hunting, however map painting on such a scale means lots and lots of tedious siege/ minor settlement battles.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Doomykins posted:

On VH the AI certainly got a soul every time across 3-4 armies.

Go to Slaanesh every time it's up and give yourself sickeningly disgusting purples and big treasury stacks to take the edge off. The hardest part is going to lovely Chaos red clime lands to wipe out dangerous factions unless you're Chaos yourself. There's some sincere relief in things like Ogres not having Underway Movement stance for their long winding compact trails mountain lands.

Agreed, the main factor later on would be public order issues due to lovely red climate land, massive corruption from gates and VH penalties. Maybe the smart move, if your faction allows it, would be to set up some allies and/or vassals and gift them the bad settlements.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
drat, the patch took a literal hour to unpack.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Speaking of nurgle, I've just started his campaign and people were not wrong about their T1 towers, holy crap they are amazing, probably the greatest thing in the entire faction.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Blooming Brilliant posted:

It's the generic "Corrupted by Nurgle" trait you get from being in a region with high Nurgle corruption. It's unremovable unlike the Realm of Chaos traits, and it affects your replenishment which is a death-nail for Slaanesh + Tzeentch cause they barely have any.

You can get round it by replacing lords or just recruiting new units, but it's horrible to get on N'kari or Kairos. Plus recruiting new units makes the later red line buffs fairly pointless.

Edit: Technically I do think it is removeable, but you have to be in a region with low Chaos corruption (it doesn't differ between the types) which y'know, you're playing as N'kari or Kairos :v:

It's a bug in the script that handles the removal of those traits, I'm using a mod that fixes that crap to something way more sensible.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is there a place for mods yet?

Check this discord: https://discord.gg/Ux6jM3uFYf (Da Modding Den).

My advice: Go to the modding repository and search for DaftFlamingo's mod thread and grab the following:

-The Realms of Chaos Narrative Toggle mod. Adds a toggle in the campaign selection screen to disable the narrative campaign so the portals never open.

-WH3 Early mod pack. Contains several individual mods: a supply lines bug fix, a corrupted by Nurgle/Slaanesh/Khorne/Tzeentch trait fix and the Slaanesh Everlasting Gift technology bug fix.

There is more stuff there but those are the most important ones.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
If any of you installed any mods, remember to delete them from the folder before starting the game once it updates with the new patch.

Ed: Beaten.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Mordja posted:

I watched the semi+finals of Turin's latest tournament and Nurgle seems to be in a good spot, winning I think three of the five games they were taken in. Slow, and requiring a lot of foresight, but inexorable.

They seem to be pretty decent in Domination mode now that Ogres aren't so op, land battles are definetly harder for the papa Nurgle boys though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
We're living in the TWCenter timeline.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Am I the only one excited for the lanes to fast move between continents?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
What a big chonky map, nearly as big as the average Chaos Dwarf Hat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Twigand Berries posted:

Absolutely Chorfs will be on the chaos realms map. I bet they come up with a different kind of campaign with them.

Acquire enough slaves to build a giant hat-shaped ziggurat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm glad I've finally completed Belegar's campaign, with Skarbrand piling on, the Badlands Thunderdome is going to be insane.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've decided to play some campaigns with the new patch. Picked Ku'Gath because I wanted to see if he was as painful to play as before. Turns out that while Nurgle as a faction is still a bore for the first twenty or thirty turns, once you beat the dwarves you're pretty much stress free to do whatever you want. In my case, I decided to play tall and only kept two permanent provinces and sent Ku'Gath on a romp to spread plague and filth over the world.

The highlight of this campaign was all the diplomatic fuckery going on in the world. Unlikely alliances kept forming on and it was wonderful. At some point I bumped into Ungrim and he got a murder boner for me and relentlessly attacked the same town, over and over again. And he brought friends:

The Lahmian Sisterhood and Ungrim were apparently more than friends. That's going in the book.

Not that I'm free of sin, Kairos Fateweaver went wild and conquered a huge part of the map and he liked me a lot and I still don't know why, heck even Skarbrand and the Slaaneshi factions wanted to be my friends as well. I guess they couldn't resist Ku'Gath charms.

Doom Knights were not that efective, especially in the final battle, but they were worth it just for the style points. Also I loved the four fatties, chain casting rancid visitations killed Be'lakor really quickly.

I still dislike Nurgle's roster intensely but it was a good experience. Now it's the time to play a ranged heavy faction and stack all those missile units before it gets changed again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Arghy posted:

There was always female knife ears and vampires but considering the human empires were modeled after 15-16th century culture it would be weird to see a woman not staying home and pumping out children. Heroes have always been unique so you can have whatever the gently caress you want as a hero and i imagine humans living in the tropics would naturally have darker skin through the generations of living there.

It's weirder to whitewash the problematic roots and paint this multicultural utopia haha thats some revisionist poo poo.

The Warhammer planet is an artificial creation made by the Old Ones, puny human logic doesn't apply to super chad magical frogs from outer space.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86lr36DV1ho

Pour one for my boy Settra.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just finished a Kairos campaign. The Big Chickens of Change with multiple bound spells are absolute monsters, A+ would doomstack again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Really don’t get the Toddy love.

Toddy has a great hat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The Nagash mod for WH2 is excellent, it has big dick hat energy. The lore tibdits and info panel text are really memetastic. A pity it was released at the end of WH2's life cycle.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
IE is going to have too many asymmetrical factions to be properly balanced anyway, so let's just sacrifice the dawi on the altar of balance and let's be done with it. They are just the worst domination mode faction and it's fine. In other words, gently caress the dwarfs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cease to Hope posted:

disappointed we're getting a whole chaos warriors dlc and no slambo Chorfs

Fixed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Hellbore posted:

Literally the only other one that comes to mind is Arbaal, and he hasn't been a thing since, what, 5th edition?

e,: Looking it up, he hasn't had a model since 5th, but was mentioned in the army books up until 8th, and was included in End Times, where he was killed by Caradryan.

I'm really fond of Arbaal and his goofy model. It's a shame that many of the characters in the 'Paladins of Chaos' never got updated rules and models.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Zore posted:

also Mazda and Kroq'gar's dino buddies are literally named after Transformers

Nah, Mazdamundi is a dumb reference resulting from adding Mazda (very popular lightbulb brand in the 90's in Europe) and Mundi, as in 'light of the world'. Source: An interview in a White Dwarf with the designer of the original lizardmen army book.

Lizardmen are the kings of stupid names.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

kanonvandekempen posted:

Turn times look pretty rough sadly.

Enticity is streaming Archaon's campaign right now and his first turns took literally 15 seconds, although he has a new i9 pc, so ymmv.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MikeC posted:

This was a mistake historically and remains a mistake today

Grimgrog on a raft, what could go wrong.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

OwlFancier posted:

surtha ek should have a whole extended family, flippin ek, blummin ek, ekcy thump

I want to know who thought "sukiyaki the inscrutible" was fine but felt it necessary to censor the top right. Like I can only assume it is spectacularly racist or something.

The top right's name is Shienen Doom Axe.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
All factions get replaced by Pontus.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm 30 turns into Archaon's campaign and it has been a pretty run ride so far. Crushed Boris and killed/vassalized the four minor chaos factions, just about to lead the vassal swarm to the south. I'm digging the new chaos faction mechanics and the vassal AI changes, it's actually enjoyable to play now instead of literal torture like it was before.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Tolth posted:

"Wow, there's really no units or factions left to add at this point. I hope they'll have enough material for future DLC, something that can fit on the RoC map..."

Monkey's Paw Curls

"In an effort to prevent the end times from destroying this world, Sigmar reaches into another, drawing forth his most steadfast servants. The souls of these superhuman, nigh-immortal warriors have been magically reforged by the will of Sigmar...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8

Summon the ground marines.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Tarriff is a magnificient bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Everybody should play at least a short campaign as Ghorst, for the fun and to experience the intoxicating powerlevel. It's definetly going to get hit by CA's nerfbat soon, so enjoy it while you can.