Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Things I have absolutely zero doubt are coming to TW3, possibly even in order:

Belakor playable as a Daemons of chaos LL in Immortal Empires
Chorfs
Monkey King
Neferata
Thanquol
Nagash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

The CA does pretty good job of portraying notable martial characters as absolute ball-wreckers but I don't think they managed to get a single powerful mage right so far.

I dunno high level mages happily nuke armies, as you’d hope.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I reckon some wizard will be able to mod the main campaign goals to be ignorable in a short timeframe.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Warhams 2 Question:

Has anyone ever seen Loyalty do anything? I've played Pirates and Rats, and in both campaigns I have never seen a Lord rebel against me, ever.

Yes! One surefire way to get it to happen is have a Lord be a higher level than your legendary Lord. This happened to me once playing clan pestilens. Early on I’d sent a half decent army across to the southlands to try and help Queek survive against Kroq-Gar and everyone else who hates him. That quickly became the busiest area of the game with me fighting with that army at least once a turn against the island elves and lizard men. Finally noticed his loyalty plummeting, realised he was 3 levels higher than Skrolk and honestly it was just so true to Skaven I just let it happen.

At this point he was high level 20’s, great items and an elite army including several RoR I’d only just recruited. Took over 3 settlements in the southlands and survived a couple dozen turns before getting killed by the locals. Go little rockstar. :unsmith:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I'm all about starting the game for my papa nurgle but I'm reading it's a hard campaign with bad units. Is that true?

Ku’gath has a pretty safe area he starts in, so you can get set up easily enough. His units feel like an anvil with no hammer, just grind down enemy armies in a test of endurance, especially starting out. Powerful magic lore definitely helps, and the plagueridden hero is super helpful on a rotfly. I’d say he really struggles against a full stack of Tzeentch ranged unless you’ve kitted out an army for it.

I’m going to heavily, heavily suggest doing the realm of Tzeentch first or second as nurgle. Because at least then the wandering armies aren’t full stacks. The AI has apparently picked up focus firing, so keep any single entities out of range until the ranged is tied up in melee or you’ll see just how fast Ku’gath’s 15k+ hp evaporates. As for the survival battle itself, I think the Tzeentch battle as nurgle has got to be the most painful matchup possible. Wouldn’t feel bad autoresolving that. First wave was painful, second and third I realised that instead of defending the point I could just block every single enemy spawn point with a wall of nurgle fodder so they couldn’t use ranged attacks.

Outside of Tzeentch, haven’t really had a problem fighting the other factions. Oh and if you’re defending a settlement, nurgle has a unique barricade which provides constant healing instead of the usual MD barricade, and it’s ridiculous how much value you can get out of it with some nurglings/plaguebearers.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
There’s only one island in the Tzeentch realm with 3 portals, once you get to it one of the portals will loop you back to the one you came through, and the other will take you on a straight path to the soul battle. That’s the place to save scum from. I don’t bother with the white circles at all. Definitely needs tweaking.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

I got an issue where I can not recruit from warriors of chaos's full roster. Only marauder and marauder horsemen (throwing axes). It is pretty funny. I really wanted to have some chosen in my nurgle army.

There’s a bug with WoC where a bunch of it’s roster isn’t available for recruitment. However, chosen and chosen with halberds are 100% recruitable and an awesome addition to a nurgle army. It just takes ages for them to get there, it needs the AI to build and upgrade the chaos warriors building. Notably nothing else from the chaos warriors building (chaos warriors, aspiring champions) can be recruited. So just keep them alive and eventually they should come through.

Chosen also cost something like 35 allegiance points per unit so you aren’t going to be awash with them. Just check their main settlement every few turns to see if they’ve got the building.

Just loaded it up to check and I don’t have chosen with great weapons as an option either. Oh well, 2/3 ain’t bad. I think I need to funnel some cash to the faction, they have a tier 5 settlement and two empty slots. Maybe some other late game units are recruitable.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 21, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My thoughts on what happens when the hero reaches the portal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXRrYWmQ_g

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Most useful thing nurgle has in the chaos realms is the +35-% regen plague. Pretty much a full army heal whenever you encamp. And you can often sneak an encamp stance in Tzeentch and Slaanesh’s realm when using the teleporters, since they still work if you move into them in encamp stance.

Also putting a movement range debuff plague on my allies the legion of chaos in Slaanesh’s realm allowed me to pull off an overtake despite starting a turn behind. Worth the reliability hit.

As for Slaanesh’s realm, the impossibility to catch up needs some tweaking, but the rewards are in a good place I think. I was on my fourth soul and still one of the tier rewards, plus 10 levels for every character plus any character recruited within the next ten turns, genuinely had me spend a couple of minutes mulling over whether I should take it or push on.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Somebody on reddit did a write up about how settlement battles work:

Last bit’s wrong, you (and the AI) don’t get an additional 500 supplies per turn under siege normally. Kislev has a technology under the Erengrad tree which does that. Some factions have buildings which increase supplies by turn under siege by 50 or 100, usually combined with less attrition whilst besieged, which is a much smaller buff.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Bloodly posted:

So is the tier 3 protection building the only way to detect Under-cities for destruction?

Assuming it works the same as WHII, any hero in a province makes it easier to discover undercities by 15? Points. So if you’re sure you’ve got one just run/hire a group of heroes in.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Where dwarves gets 3 slots for runes, chorfs will get 3 slots for hat combinations. They will use the daemon Prince tech to actually change the unit model. This is the goal.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Why on earth would you want any barriers to every other faction converging on Ulthuan to give the High Elvea a good kicking.

I say this as someone who likes the High Elves. They need knocking down a peg.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Arghy posted:

I'm expecting all demons to be a poo poo show because their T1 units are far better than everyone elses due to their small roster. I remember as cathay trying to fight that tzcheench faction with peasants and just getting stomped so i can only imagine how TK's will fair against 100 armor khorne warriors and a lord that will slaughter almost every other lord 1v1. If skarbrand had T1 cultists that were flagellants and the warriors were T2/3 then it wouldn't be so bad but putting the faction of chaff against the faction of blender infantry is gonna be hilarious.

My stack of tier 1 skeleton chaff running into Skarbrand’s 19 blood letters.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Let’s brainstorm ways to improve Vampire Counts:

Raise unit size of Terrorgheists from 1 to 10

Put a Vampire balanced on top of the black coach who acts as a missile turret with a Gaze of Nagash style attack

Only give zombies magical attacks in the entire roster but also give them 95% ward save

Have Vlad start in a randomised part of the map every new game, wearing thematically appropriate tourist gear depending on the region

More suggestions welcome!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't get why Vlad is the one who "belongs" in Sylvania when he's the dead one successfully couped by Mannfred, the winner and ruler who stayed alive the whole time

Also bald starscream is way more fun than "best in every way guy"

Well well well looks like we’ve found Manny’s sock puppet account.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’d be really interested in a terrain map if they’ve released it yet, sure Queek is within spitting distance of Skarbrand but he could well be shielded by a mountain range which at least gives him a few turns head start at fleeing.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Need a mod for the Cathay centric multiplayer campaign.

Which puts every single LL from Immortal Empires on that miniature map.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
What’s the current best guess for release because the hype has once again begun to build to dangerous levels.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

I don't think that "rework" is really the word to use here; that's usually reserved for significant changes on their racial mechanics and I don't think the Dawi really need that. What they want is a couple units to fill out their roster from game 1 standard to post-DLC game 2 standard. The races that feel like they need a rework right now are Norsca, Lizardmen, probably Bretonnia, and to a much lesser extent Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast just because they haven't really been touched at all since they released. I'd also suggest that Dark Elves and High Elves could use a second review on their tactical mechanics.

What might be cool mechanics for these?

Lizard man could be in charge of fixing leaking chaos pipes/the geomantic web across the map, maybe opening temporary or permanent portals to far flung areas of the globe to beat up the local nations. For the great plan. For example maybe you need to invade Lothern because the high elves are doing a terrible job.

Bretonnia could use a CRUSADE mechanic, (I may have played a bunch of CK3 recently) to install vassal nations across the sea. Or maybe to beat up the high elves on their donut.

Norsca could potentially have a mechanic where any coastal province they sack gives them thematic items or even some captured units they can use. Say sacking the coast of Ulthuan gives you some High elf items and a few units of White Lions.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run? I'm trying to figure out some starts that won't be affected too much by future lord additions, so that I don't feel obliged to backfill later.

World War Ghorst.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Carcer posted:

I think if a mortal actually managed to get close enough to one of the gods for even a statblock like that to matter you wouldn't get such merciful ends.

Skarbrand got angry enough to try a roll against Khorne’s armour. I don’t know if there are any other examples.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Just remove them, they were a blatant cash grab by CA and have no basis in lore.

There was one throwaway sentence in one of the older editions about some short people with beards who live in the mountains which was clearly just some half assed world building and CA’s tried to milk an entire race out of them.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Been playing a very strange game with Zhao Ming.

Killed the closest rebels you start at war with, accepted peace with the other rebels closer to the northern provinces. Buddy up to the Jade Custodians and a random ogre tribe. This turns out to be a mistake.

Jade custodians declare war on Northern Provinces, putting me at war with my sister. Golddtooth attacks ogre friends putting me at war with him. Previously peaced out Rebels let me confederate them for free shortly after putting my border right next to the Northern Provinces.

Continual fights with my sister results in the Cathay greenskins having major positive relations, which with a bit of bribery means I’m now in a military alliance with them. They now have a good 8 or so settlements.

It currently Northern Provinces, Celestial Loyalists and Goldtooth vs Western Provinces, Jade Custodians and Greenskins.

Watching the siblings run up to each other then transform for a full on dragon fight is extremely cinematic and I regret nothing even as Cathay is torn apart. I’m sure somewhere Tzeentch is smiling.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I think it’s time to build up to near lethal amounts of hype, this has never gone wrong before as I am incredibly easily pleased.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’ve played normal campaign, hard battle difficulty as long as I can remember.

This means a bunch of campaign level mechanics aren’t rendered completely useless by AI buffs, and the AI gets a bit of help in battles since it’s a bit rough.

And I can field dumb armies, or themed armies, or sometimes even dumb themed armies.

Extremely looking forward to getting some bizarre alliances up and running for cool units. Last game I played had the orcs allied as Zhao Ming. Mutual enemy and enough bribes and you can make some very strange friends.

Anno posted:

:yeah:

I’ve played hard campaign/normal battle forever and it really is the best. Add in Tabletop/Cost Based Caps and you’re good to go have a lot of fun with whatever you want basically.

Our battle will be legendary.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The one annoying thing with Elf Batman was he had all these bonuses to defending East Ulthuan and absolutely no one trying to invade East Ulthuan. Perhaps the new end game crises will help those come into play.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well I hadn’t really thought who I was going to play first because release has crept up on me, but after a quick think of my favourite area of total war (killing Ulthuan), it looks like it’s N’kari time.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Just scrolled around the map, and even though it’s covered in FoW I’ve got a big dumb grin on my face.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
8 turns in and I’m super confused why Saphery is offering me a trade deal as N’kari.

Turns out you start with a cult and a bunch of seduction already in the bank with them. I don’t think I saw it mentioned anywhere but at a guess when they flesh out the intros for IE it’ll mention that Saphery was involved in your plans to invade Ulthuan. This really helps make the donut a bit trickier for the high elves I’m hoping, since they’ll likely be fighting an alliance of Scourge of Khaine, N’kari and a vassalised Saphery.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Ways I beat Malus back in WH2:

Army losses kicks in before he can transform

OR

He transforms so I spread my remaining (usually few, badly hurt) units to the four corners of the map until his health draining debuff eventually kills him.

Tough cookie.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Apparently the wild hunt gives Welves double ammo for all their ranged units. Haven't face it yet but that sounds problematic.

Dwarf tide should gives all dwarfs 2x speed.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Long time coming but finally giving Khatep a proper go. His main issue in WHII was being crammed in a tiny corner of the map with nowhere to really go except a sea of dark elves.

Not so now. It’s turn 28 and a fleet of tomb kings lands on the shores of eastern cathay. Khatep’s going on tour.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Really need to give Eshin a go now it’s been moved east.

Lore of Stealth is reasonably forgettable except for one key spell which honestly seems like the lore was made just to squeak it in.

The spell which puts a massive vortex with a huge amount of outwards force yet does no damage. And lets your troops and projectiles through. It’s so fun to use. Really pairs well with Eshin’s play style in the battle map.

Stick it on the enemy front lines to break them up and delay a bunch of units.

Valuable unit losing combat? Slap down the vortex and let them just waltz out the back while the enemy can’t even reorganise because they keep getting smacked over. Often used to let warpstone grinders sneak away.

And just generally messing with a high value unit by bowling them over as they get shredded by Eshin’s AP runners.

I forget every other spell in the lore. Also you may have guessed I’ve forgotten the name of the spell.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

So as malagor, I allied with khorne.

Small side note here.

No one can settle your blood ground areas after the ritual, except for khorne. They can auto settle them. Other factions may then take those settlements from khorne.

I thought some fuckery was going on in the badlands along those lines.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Don't non-single entity units heal all partial damage after combat, with only casualties carrying forward?

This is the case, definitely pump up those single entities when you get the chance though!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Kanos posted:

The southern Southlands tend to be a loving apocalyptic thunderdome because you've got Kroq'gar, Teclis, Kairos, Thorek, and Tiqtaq'to basically all right on top of each other, and Khalida, Mannfred, and Settra are like a province away and Skarbrand isn't generally too far behind.

This is just making me think Kairos must be having a fun time, since the others nearby are all Order factions? I guess making them fight each other would be very Tzeentch.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

The best ogre LL is Aranessa Saltspite

Currently doing a co-op campaign with me on Aranessa and my friend on Skrag.

He could recruit man eaters from an outpost with me before he could even recruit them from himself.

Man eaters with pistols fit very well into a vampire coast front line.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Just fired up a new campaign last night with a friend. I’m on Valkia and he’s on Belakor. We’re both prolific save scummers so playing together and never reloading is a different experience!

Had a major fuckup with Crone Hellebron. She came gunning for me then vanished, so I knew an ambush was on the cards. And I’d seen her stack was half ranged I could just roll over so I just walked into the ambush on purpose.

Crone Hellebron edged out the duel with Valkia, and ended the battle with 250 kills. Still was super close since hounds ate the ranged half of their army early. But the real MVP was a witch elf hero on an altar who killed over three hundred of my goddamn infantry. I had no idea they could be so strong. And this same hero gave Hellebron +17% replenishment so even though her army was in shreds it bounced back in about a turn.

No save scumming so had to roll with it. Had withdrawn 8 or so battered units once I realised there was no hope. Moved them next to a small vassal settlement, rapidly refilled the ranks and the Eye of the Gods popped. Chose the option which gave me a goddamn bloodthirster obviously.

Hellebron attacked next turn, but this time I had a plan. When the front lines engaged the bloodthirster immediately went and smashed the witch elf hero before she could get stuck in my infantry, I had two units of marauders with throwing axes I’d recruited with the sole purpose of dealing with her executioners (the third dark elf MVP of the ambush battler) and it ended with the bloodthirster and Crone Hellebron dueling in the skies. Win to the warriors of chaos.

Har Ganeth is my vassal now. Felt like Khorne would have been impressed with the slaughter and ability of Crone Hellebron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Serephina posted:

Yea those Caldrons of Blood are really flipping weird mounts. They tank the MA/MD of the hero, but they just go bonk-bonk-bonk in close combat killing everything with... impact hits? One of those things where the stats mean absolutely nothing and the game's not telling you what's going on.

Yeah the only thing I can compare it to is the time I accidentally got the sword of khaine on a Skaven warlock with a screaming bell. Enemy models which brushed against it just seemed to drop dead. Making a mental note to definitely grab some cauldrons of blood next time I play dark elves.

Something major that probably contributed to me winning the second battle against Hellebron was she’d levelled up and switched to a manticore mount, whereas in the first ambush she was also rocking a Cauldron of Blood. Two of them at once and me with no real counter was vicious.