Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

Are ogres coming out early like they did with Norska? Or am I doomed to wait until friday?

Not how Norsca pre-order bonus worked. You got them in Warhammer 1, then because of some issues between Warhammer 2 and the first build of Warhammer it took months for Norsca to be available (even as non-player factions) at all in Warhammer 2. Ogres are just a something you unlock for 3 by having pre-ordered (and will probably be sold as a separate DLC after the initial week or whatever the timeframe to get them for free is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Someone needs to make a mod where Imrik can gain the Cathay dragons as mounts if he defeats them.

I just think it'd be funny. Stop looking at me like that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, Gotrek and Felix are definitely one of the flubs of the first game. They could use a rework of some sort.

I feel like they should be heroes that have to stick together (move as one on the campaign map, but two units in an army), in MP they are both hero units and are actually fielded quite often either individually or as a pair, for the utility they bring to the table (Gotrex as an unbreakable anti-monster duelist and Felix as a support character with a healing ability IIRC).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Soooo Chaos Dwarfs?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So as far as we are aware, the way it works with Ogre mercs now is that when there's an Ogre camp (their movable major settlements) in a province, whoever's in that province can recruit Ogre units from that camp?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 13, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also watching that tournament from yesterday and the battle MilkandcookiesTW uploaded with the Ogres it's pretty clear that their artillery piece needs a look at in terms of its damage output and/or accuracy (in the replay part of that was sticking 9 chevrons on it giving it just ridiculous accuracy ontop of already good accuracy, so that might be a thing to consider tuning as well).

Also I noticed how everyone played Skrag the Slaughterer (including in the mirror-match) because he gives a map-wide buff to Gorgers, seemingly one of the Ogres' most cost-effective units, and that's a little boring I think. IMO that ability probably just shouldn't be available in MP (or at least not be map-wide) for the reason that there's really no other LL you can bring in MP/custom battle who come in with what are essentially campaign-style unconditional buffs to signature units. Skrag should not be the only one to have that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

is there any speculative maps of what the mortal empires or whatever will look like? I honestly only really play mortal empires.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's really.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Get Frank Langella to voice him.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nagash and Thanquol are going to have amazing VA work. I trust this.

Well, if I'd pick one to put the moeny towards it'd be Thanquol. Nagash doesn't seem like he'd require as much of a performance as just a guy that sounds a certain way (and effects to further that). Does he have a personality or is he just an evil guy?

Anyway, I think Imrik probably tops out the voice acting in 2 for me.

e: They better record extra lines for the existing Warhammer 1 and 2 characters, including the little pre-battle speeches that are now a thing.

e2: Okay, Settra is also amazing, he's probably up there with Imrik for me.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 14, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

I thought you'd need all three games for the new Mortal Empires.

Do we even know anything definitive about this?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

- missed opportunity for the sword to be made of tiny skulls/bones

The pommel is a skull at least.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Triskelli posted:

https://youtu.be/ZRJo3R3ANsw

Mandalore video right on time.

Ah, so it's not just cavalry units that are affected by some kind of animation bug where they kind of don't move in to attack probably, seems to be a shared thing with lots of units, and might even be related to the flying unit landing to attack bug. Hopefully that's something they manage to fix, and even more hopefully it doesn't take for ever to do so.

A very good and thorough review video IMO highlighing the good points but also calling attention to problems and lackluster elements.

e: Somewhat surprised that the DLC treatment is seemingly already in effect for the Ogre preorder bonus, though intrigued to hear him say in the review that playing the Ogres (appropriately) feels more like running a criminal enterprise than an empire.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 14, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I think the UI stuff seems fair even if it's not a big deal. Like this thread makes fun of people for pointing out stuff like that, but as long as someone's not histrionic about it I think it's plenty valid to have criticisms even of great games.

The replacement of race-specific art for the occupation options with generic icons is the most disappointing one to me, the removal of all UI color-coding for everything being red can be pretty simply fixed by mods, but adding in good race-specific artwork for icons that would no longer fit the new UI, yeah not so much. That's unfortunate.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lucinice posted:

I hope the release build fixes some of the bagginess. I don't expect them game to be bug free but let's just hope it ends up being less annoying.

Well, the siege issues partly seem to be problems arising from design decisions and the AI simply not being that cut out to play within those, for instance in not being good at knowing what to do with minor settlement maps with multiple capture points and the defender building defenses that kill or block them along the way. And then they almost do better in walled settlements where they first have to attack the walls and are funneled a bit more clearly it seems like. So it's kind of difficult to just "fix bugs" there it seems like as it might actually be more necessary to reevaluate some of those design decisions, at least in part.

The animation bugging/not attacking/landing/maybe cavalry thing looks to me to be the most serious actual bug, and it's a doozy. Though I'd say it's hard to say how difficult it ends up being to sort out, we don't even know how long it's been in the game overall. Hopefully that one's given alot of priority, because this a very serious impact on the performance of alot of units, particularly those that rely on shock damage.

Charge reflect seems like it's just the ability not really working as intended for whatever reason, I'd guess to say it's not related to the above and is a separate issue.

Soem of the more serious lighting and texture glitches should hopefully just need a game-ready driver to iron out, and then hopefully the more minor issues get sorted out as well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cav stuff is especially frustrating because of how they feel in 3K. A red general's bodyguard hitting some archer militia feels exactly like it should. A max size 240-man unit will be scattered in seconds, and the cav actually charge without having to babysit them.

It's not really the same version of the engine though, so I don't think it's fair to expect the Warhammer and 3K engine and units in them to work the exact same way. Having seen that review and now thinking about some of the general landing and attacking animation issues that I've seen in streams and videos, it all kind of seems me that it's part of a wider issue, something that must have broken at some point, possibly late, in development. It's incredibly unfortunate and it's going to be frustrating to play with, but it's not meant to be like this clearly and I sincerly hope they already have some idea of where it broke.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The chronological order of the games' campaigns matters about as much as the Zelda timeline.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I doubt the animation issues have anything to do with the blood.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Nothing here seems to approach Rome II levels of release jank. As I recall, there were a lot of warning signs for that game during pre-release reveals, whereas all of the streamers who have been playing WH3 constantly for the past 2-4 weeks all largely agree that the game is good. There are bugs and imbalances, but relatively few of each. For balance, the only real faction-wide offender seems to be Tzeentch's infinite regen being busted (which, to be fair, is goddamn stupid because people raised that concern the second that ability was revealed last fall so how the hell did nothing change since then); otherwise, everything else seems to mostly just be numbers tweaks or maybe wait on DLC to expand rosters a bit.

I'd say the not attacking/stopping in their tracks/landing-to-attack bug that seems to be an animation or movement (or possibly even terrain as someone suggested) issue, is the big one, especially as it has the potentially to really negatively affect the performance of a whole bunch of units.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 14, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It almost seems tied in to the concern I had for cav stopping their charges before really fully impacting that I noticed in a number of videos.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all manifestations of the same issue. It's not the same problem that cavalry in warhammer 2 (I think) post mass changes had, which was partially adressed, but not fixed, a couple of months ago. An update which may or may not even have made it into this relase build of Warhammer 3 (my bet is on not).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

In tabletop what makes a legendary caster powerful? They cast the same spells as a basic wizard right?

Well, mostly that would be in them being more likely to be a higher level wizard than a generic one, though that's not a guarantee. The wizard level (up to 4 IIRC) determines how many magic dice that wizard contributes to your pool and also how many spells they can equip in a battle, and I think the level of those spells and how many dice they can use to cast a spell. Named characters may also come equippemed with items or rules that gives them bonuses to cast a spell or which spells they can pick, that was mostly it I think. Also worth noting that in general in the later editions of Warhammer Fantasy named characters (they were typically just called "Special Characters" not Legendary Lords that's a total war thing) were generally not worth taking compard to generic ones, because of their extravagant point cost, I think that went double for the spell-casters, particularly if they were also good combatants.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Dispelling is also a thing in tabletop, and higher level wizards were better at doing so.

This may have changed in the editions, and I mostly just played in 5th and 6th (and a little bit at the start of 7th) but I remember dispelling being an "army" thing not tied to a specifc one of your caster, they just generated the magic dice, whcih could be allocated for either casting or dispelling (or were they separate?). That's also how Dwarf magic resistance worked out, they couldn't cast spells, but they could dispel and several of their characters (and possibly even units) did generate magic dice (runesmiths with anvils generating the most of all), which would naturally all be used for dispelling.

I may be wrong about characters not dispelling now that I think about it, I at least remember items like dispel scrolls and such that could be used to automatically dispel a spell and things like that were equipped on individual characters.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

This is correct, I just mis-remembered and thought power dice and dispel dice were separate things. Forgot they drew from the same pool.

Okay. In general I think the basic idea of the system was kind of interesting from a flavor perspective, as it basically encouraged you to bring lower level wizards alongside your primary higher-level wizard. WIth the primary wizard essentially being the one to cast the important spells, and the other ones there could essentially be thought of as "channeling" magic for that primary spell-caster and to provide additional defense, allowing you to cast at full power while still leaving you some dice to defend yourself with. Slann also had an interesting mechanic with the Skink-priests in that they could cast their spells through the skink priests wherever they were on the table, drawing LOS and range from them instead of the Slann.

In practice I think and sort of remember the magic system mostly being clunky and pretty prone to 1) going into battle with spells that weren't what you needed and 2) those spells just failing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Question, is it too late to pre-order this game, or can I do so up to February 16th, 11:59 p.m.?

You still get the Ogres from buying it after release for about a week or so.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I hope if they do Ungol they are more than just shirtless light cavalry. We've got enough marauder cavalry as it is. Make them interesing and unique, base them off the Xiongnu or something.

Why would you base them off an ancient empire on the border of China instead of the various Turkic peoples that interacted (and importantly also mixed with, alot of the early Cossacks as well as some noble families were of Tatar descent) with Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and even their predecessors? If you are to actually stick to the the Tatar/Siberian/Kazakh* thing that was kind of set up in the RPG sourcebook (though also giving them elements from Russian folklore like the baba yaga stuff), then they should draw visually from that (and no, those were not shirtless light cavalry), not the Xiongnu.

*Though to be honest there's elements from the prologue, and that short story which make me apprehensive about this and it's possible they may have decided to drop that aspect of it and characterize them more as distinctly Slavic Cossacks. Though we'll see when it actually comes time, I just hope it doesn't end up like that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Whatever they base them off of, I just hope we don't get more shirtless light cav. I picked Xiongnu because they have cool armor and cool hats.

I mean essentially what you would do is start with some stuff like illustrations and such of what Tatar warriors and such looked like. What they wore and what weapons they used, say in the early modern era, which would be the most appropriate for Kislev and Warhammer in general, go a bit earlier if you need armor as well.

Then you identify some kind of unique things about them and flanderize the gently caress out of that, like they did for Kislev with the ice and bear motif. Like here something you might do is proliferate the poo poo out of something like the Turko-Mongol Tug horse (or yak) hair standard, not necessarily as a standard but the general idea of the design.

Or take and exaggerate the practice and aesthetics of falconry, which was very popular among steppe nomads (and still is a popular pasttime/sport in places like Mongolia and Kazakhstan)

e: Or take inspiration from the dress of shamans in traditional Siberian religion.

Then you can add more overtly fantastical and folkloric elements like hags and whatever else. I do hope they go for that kind of flavor and not just make them Cossacks, who are indeed pretty cool (and actually draw from alot of the same fashions and military styles), but I feel like it won't be as unique nor will it emphasize the multiethnic nature of Kislev or its IRL historical influences as effectively if that is what they end up doing.

Chakan posted:

Yeah, magic was devastating to your enemy if you could cast it, but was rather difficult to get off for full effect. I think they did a good job of translating it into a video game, tbh. Pendulum deleting units that get hit might be a little much, but it would be a little disappointing if I managed to manifest a giant bladed pendulum for a direct hit on chaff infantry and didn't wreck them. I am a little miffed that the dreaded thirteenth spell is just a summon, but I guess I can live with that.

Pendulum just being utterly ridiculous now feels like it has to be a mistake somewhere IMO, like somone put in wrong numbers, other wind spells in the game aren't close to as devastating (though they still are effective enough, it's just in comparison to pendulum that they suffer). Also regarding the dreaded 13th, while it is indeed a summon, unlike other summons it actually does a good deal of damage if you cast it on top of an enemy unit.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You could add more eastern style steppe units to Cathay.

I feel like we could get something like that, given that there is a Cathay sub faction called something like "Burning Winds Nomads".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

112gb preload is up

Glad I decided to get an additional SSD for this.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

They could easily add more god-specific Chaos warriors and Marauders. Even if there aren't necessarily any rules for Chaos Warriors of Nurgle, for example, it really isn't a stretch to take inspiration from the Plague Guard, or just what the Mark of Nurgle does for champions and extrapolate it to a unit.

They would be inventing the unit in a very strict sense, but it is probably the shortest "stretch" they could make and they would be an opportunity to make them look cool as hell.

If you look at what mortal units the various mono-God factions currently get you can probably extrapolate that most of them are eventually going to get their own versions of most of those, not the most exciting thing in the world necessarily but would be alright for a free update that brings Warriors of Chaos up to date and helps round out and expand the different rosters.

At the moment (unless I'm missing something) we have

Marauders (Slaanesh)
Chaos Warriors (Khorne)
Mounted Marauders (Slaanesh)
Mounted Chaos Warriors/Knights (Tzeentch and Khorne)
Forsaken (Nurgle and Tzeentch)
Chariot (Khorne and Slaanesh, not quite sure about Slaanesh can't quite remember if all their chariots are driven by Daemons or not)
EDIT: Add in some variants on Beastmen units, as there's already precedent for that with Khorne Minotaurs.

I think it's a pretty good bet that all of the mono-God factions will get at least these units. Many of these currently come with multiple different weapon options, though since Khorne has dual weapons and Tzeentch has whips and weird bone-spears I don't imagine each of the god-variants will have the same (or same number) of variants.

I don't see additional and more unique mortal/non-Daemonic units as unlikely at all really, it's just that as far as I'm concerned this is the baseline I'm pretty sure will be applied to all of them in due time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eimi posted:

The mortal chaos followers would be more exciting if they got more model work instead of a tint applied. Like the Tzeentch doom knights should have a different look than standard beyond the blue armor.

It seems like that only happened with Tzeentch for whatever reason though. The Slaanesh marauders and Khorne Chaos warriors have pretty distinct look and aren't just a recolor.

Mordja posted:

The various Daemonic factions are the one time they'll probably end up pulling stuff directly from End Times/AoS/40k since Chaos is kind of shared throughout the universes, at least to an extent. So I could see Tzaangors being ported, but not named characters like that big fat Slaaneshi guy on a palanquin.

Oh yeah, marked version of some Beastmen units could also be a thing that happens for them (and the Beastmen). Technically Khorne already has that already actually with their Minotaurs. Also worth keeping in mind that the mono-God factions aren't really Daemon factions, they all have a mix of mortal and Daemon units (with Nurgle having the least mortals I think and Khorne and Slaanesh the most). Currently they only have Daemon cahracters with the exception of their cultists, but I magine this is going to change in the future.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

As someone who's pretty lore ignorant, were Chosen always just a WoC only unit? It feels weird that the chosen of the chaos gods don't actually make the roster of any of them, but chaos warriors and marauders are represented.

At least with WoC holding territory now you can theoretically ally with them and build an Outpost if you want Chosen or Hellcannons.

Well the tabletop game didn't actually have mono-God factions, after 6th edition or something it was 3 different army books, Beasts, Warriors and Daemons (and the ability to field allied contingents from the others). I kind of forgot Chosen because they don't feature in any of the rosters at the moment. But I think they were a unit in tabletop as well and could take marks. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if Chosen remain exclusive to the pure Warriors of Chaos faction though (along with Dragon Ogres, Chaos Dragons, Trolls and some other stuff) as one of their unique things over the mono-God factions (who seem like they might end up with a mix of Daemons, mortals and beasts).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, it makes me think they might have run out of time with a couple of the units. The Slaanesh stuff in general is really well done and extensively changed. The Tzeench stuff outside the blue/pink horrors is mostly just recolors.

I think Andy Hall (that's one of CA's lead writers and GW liaisons I tink) confirmed that there had been some issues with not getting all the stuff they wanted into the release due to work from home constraints and such. Specifically I think it was mentioned or hinted at that that's part of the reason all of Kislev's character choices have the same mount options.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Tzeentch is all about trickery and plots within plots. It's hard to be sneaky and tricky if you've got a gazillion eyes or crystals growing out of your body. Tzeenntch cults, along with Slaanesh, tend to be the best at subverting and sneaking into human and elf societies, because they tend to be the least mutated.

That's still not really a good argument for the Tzeentch Knights just being retints essentially, they still look like a Chaos warrior and have lots of fur and skulls on their armor. I think it's probably just something they didn't manage to get around to, but still wanted the unit on the roster. Hopefully they'll add in a more distinctive Tzeentch knights model eventually, if not, while that's disappointing, mods will probably find a way. There were some good custom models and such towards the end of Warhammer 2.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lucinice posted:

When they get around for making DLC for the deamons I hope something completely new to the IP instead of just new mortals.

I mean sure, but more mortal units and characters are like 100% something that's coming, probably even alongside an update to Warriors of Chaos (which may very well be free). In this case it's not a zero sum game. Second, Khorne/Tzeentch/Nurgle/Slaanesh aren't Daemon factions, they are god-specific, but they have a mix of Daemons and mortals. At the moment the Daemonic side of that roster is more or less complete as regards stuff that arleady existed in the setting.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Again, not Daemon factions. And that list I laid out of what I think is likely for all of them to at least get based on what the others already have in their rosters, is something I think is incredibly likely to happen and in line with the tabletop game (and again almost certainly doesn't rule out other more unique units). Also there's no reason Khorne and Slaanesh marauders or Tzeentch and Nurgle Chaos Warriors, need to be the same thing in terms of their stats, abilities and weaponry.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there any lore or tabletop justification for the Tzeentch barriers?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

See, the impression I'm getting is that Tzeentch would still be very good with their magic, devastating short-ranged shooting (most of which is either fire damage or imbues fire weakness) and flying mobility even if the barriers were significantly restricted or limited compared to what they are now, poo poo they'd still be very good probably if they didn't even have the barriers.

e: Also, anyone have that Steam release map? Events have transpired to give me a day off tomorrow.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 16, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alctel posted:

My game just started unpacking, maybe it's unlocking early?

Same here.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yup, there it is.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Okay. It's a random rock that has a sub-par texture.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Daemon Prince starts strong as death but boy does he need to be with Literally Everyone gunning for him.

I think focusing Tzeentch favor first was a mistake because Tzeentch seems to be more middle loaded for the good stuff. Khorne seems like what you should dedicate the capital to to smooth out the early game.

Ah well though. I will ride a ride of blue horror chaff to victory.

I started out as him as well, honestly though I think dedicating Khorne for the two coastal settlements is probably a good idea because that gives you Chaos Warriors and Bloodletters for a very potent garrison. Capital is largely out of danger and can probably be whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Just checking, but Ultra is the largest unit size, correct? Does changing unit sizes impact campaigns in progress? I ask because I started a Nurgle campaign and Nurglings are 30 per unit, but in an Okoii vid I watched they seemed to be 60 per. I fiddled unit size to Ultra but they're still at 30. Do I just need to start over?

Yeah, you need a new campaign for that to take effect.