Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really understand the reverse chronological order thing. So are they are saying the squabble for Ursun is first, followed by big rats big plan, then the largely plotless original campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The W1 plot was just Chaos invading bringing the End Times and you trying to stop it.

I think even back then I'd usually squeezed enough fun from the board to call it quits well before Archie and pals showed up. Genuinely forgot about them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Alright, Katerina. So I've seized the Eastern Oblert, Praag and that icy pass area the brown Norscalings and the brotherhood of the bear were squatting in. The first round of portals went up a bit sooner then I hoped and I lost my gambit for the Khorne soul to, I guess fittingly, Skarbrands team. I don't think I have time to try for another portal, what should I focus on? Kicking the hell pit over? Moving into the northeast? I have a 30 support lead on Kostaltyn but he's catching up faster then I thought he might. The pull between scrambling for campaign objectives while the rift is up, defending territory, and building up for the next roar is compelling but slightly overwhelming.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's totally fair - I'm okay with human factions being largely actual real-world human military stuff. I'd just like to see them with some units in other roles. For example, Clan Eshin got their crazy ninja assassination powers from Cathay - so how come there aren't Stalk/Vanguard ninja units that can sneak around and throw bombs or anything like that? They don't need fantastical units, they just need some variety in the roles of their human units. Where are the archers with flaming arrows, how come the gunpowder units are clones of old factions' gunpowder units, etc. Tie a dude to a kite and have him drop bombs or something.

I thought all the rats got all the ninja poo poo from Notjapan.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Kislev not having a hero that fucks with move rates sucks, Chasing Ku'Gath's big fat rear end all over eastern Kislev while I try to put out so many fires from confederating the Erangrad faction.

Side note, Katerina has Plague: Ague and there seems to be nothing I can do about it but wait it out?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I completely forget what Cathay's motivation in this whole thing is? To restore harmony? I'm sick of fighting these cookie cutter Norscan stacks that swarm the gates every 20 or so turns and there's no way to stop it. Even maxed out you're still guaranteed to have the bastion attacked. I'm stuck having like 75% of my resources dedicated to stopping these bastion attacks. I can't expand beyond the gate because Chaos corruption give a -300 growth penalty so you'll never be able to get any walls or garrisons to protect against the 10 odd stacks of Norscans that appear out of nowhere every 20 turns. I can't expand south unless I want to declare war on Zhao Ying and I can't confederate him.

Dragon Kids want little sister back, little sister went missing in Chaos Wastes but dunno where, but somehow they know that Big Bear knows where she is so go save Big Bear.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe some stars will align and GW will let the TTRPG write a setting book about it .Cubicle7 usually puts out good work all told.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's past turn 100 on my Kislev campaign, Ko-ko-Kostaltyn has joined up frankly earlier then I expected since I stopped paying attention to the support race in the last 10 turns and somehow sucked in about 150 of them without realizing and now I have to find the money and time to support his trash fire war with Chaos undivided, Khorne dudes and some rogue army north of troll country. I was relying on the Dwarves to prop up my northern and eastern borders but Kraka Drak decided to put all it's eggs in one basket and charged off to the north over the sea for whatever the loving reason and now all that poo poo is Nurgle and Urngrim kinda did the same thing but with the darklands and ignoring a Slaanesh portal.

My effort to get the Slaanesh prince soul was hosed by a late entry into the realm because Katerina was down with Ague plague for another 5 turns when the bear roared, and now I made it almost to horny palace but only had one turn left so I wasn't gonna make it. So I took the vainglory temptation gate that gives all your lords and heroes +15 levels so I guess it's time use all these new heroes I have to clean some drat house.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Are they gonna do anything about the various LL gear quests now that several of them are on completely different continents? Grombrindal is a long ways off from the Karak Norn these days.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a master list of new mechanics for Immortal Empires or are we still waiting till Tuesday for that?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

fastball special;

new victory conditions for factions across the board; short, long, domination and ultimate, the latter two being paint the map and defeat the crisis, respectively, and the definite end. Short is like, a thirty turn jaunt, but both short and long give you a lasting bonus depending on the faction. Stuff like lord recruit rank, etc.

different end game crises, with the chaos end times being replaced. You can toggle it, and can select a number of potential scenarios. It works the same as the chaos end times does in spawning a bunch of doom stacks for whatever flavor, and the ultimate campaign victory is having you crush it and take over the provinces. Greenskin super waaaugh has all the greenskins revive, if necessary, get stacks and go krumpin' and you have to take all their capitals, for instance.

sea lanes exist, allowing you to teleport from one side of the map to another at three? distinct points cuz they couldn't get the map to be an ORB I guess.

a lot of factions got moved around, and some of those moves came with new campaign minigames. Volkmar and Manfred is down in the southlands thunderdome now and interacts with the books of nagash the same way the tomb kings do, getting rewards and being the basis of the campaign for instance.

DE and HEs got some economic changes, but those are the only ones I can think of with big shifts.

there's plenty of youtube videos if you want a nerd talking about it for fifty minutes, but that's the big stuff

Thank you! :cheers:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Can Ghorst do for zombies what Grom does for da gobbo?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My Grombrindal campaign is going pretty great, it was a real stout pain in the rear end at first during the only one army phase where you gotta keep slapping dark elves while keeping chaos kidz from raiding in from the north from their lovely wasteland. His economy is in a pretty rough state considering the lack of immediate resources and nobody in hams North America really wants to trade him. Alith Anar is frienemies for now but eventually I gotta get to the other half of the elf grudge sooner or later. I mostly have Canada secured at this point though.

Also I don't know how long he's had it but that 35% speed bonus for Grombrindal's own army feel real drat nice in a pinch, the dwarf himself has 61 speed, which with foe-seeker on is just fast enough to run down Malakith in his chariot.

Could use some more dwarf landmarks to grab up here though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Arghy posted:

Thorek can also get the rune of spite built in so he can be a mortis engine, he's by far the best dawi lord but thorgrim is better at empire building.

Check out these loving animations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-R5FzRxRhs

I prefer Grombrindal. His blue line and ancestor buffs are still really good, and there is a visceral satisfaction to his unique capstone ability bringing Dawi infantry up to 40 speed and over, and letting him personally outrun Malekith on a chariot.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So okay, I've conquered Albion on the way to dealing with the vampire crisis and it just has a giant portal I can't enter travel through or close that leads to Be'lakor so he can just keep being an rear end and I can't do anything about it? For real?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dramicus posted:

They all do the puritan thing where they sleep with a wooden board separating them and a curt nod is considered dangerously flirtatious.

"Does that bared ankle not look positively saucy" asks Slannesh.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The hints are getting less and less subtle.

Man, Araby sounds a bit grim!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

JBP posted:

Some empire peon drinking ale in a now haunted tavern, "hey, at least it isn't that loser Mannfred"

Giving up some literal blood might actually be easier to handle then the metaphorical blood demanded by the regular aristocracy as turns out.

Whats Settra's anti-Khorne and especially anti-Skarbrand play? Spears and big stony bows?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

wiegieman posted:

It's the entire joke with hams vamps: one of them is a blood-sucking monster who will drain your life until you're in the ground and bury your descendants under the crippling weight of their tyranny forever, and the other is a vampire.

If I remember right when Mannfred rode in at the head of an undead horde to reclaim Sylvania for the Von Carnsteins, he was utterly befuddled by the lower classes throwing him parades and festivals in his honor for driving out those shitlords from Stirland.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Good grief, what was Stirland DOING to the place?

In addition to what Kanos said, on the night when Vlad started his attempt to seize the Empire he invited all living sylvanian nobility to a massive ball and wiped them out. So when Vampire War 1 ended and the Empire reasserted control over the province they had to create a new aristocracy, it was given over to Stirland as they used to rule Sylvania before it declared independence from them. Stirland had been bitter about this political slight for generations and used this opportunity to send only it's most petty, incompetent spare nobles that would never be considered for any position back home.

They really, really pointedly made a hash of it.

Doomykins posted:

It's important to remember that Warhammer is a medieval setting, grimdark and intentionally taking the piss out of almost every form of government being at least half fascist. Like "the local lord wants your stuff and you're a peasant" medieval, and the Empire has a lot of corrupt shitbags and they're still a cut above being Bretonian where the Lord and peasant divide is much harder and more literal, or hell societies like Skaven, Greenskins or Ogres where the strong and particularly useful cronies have a good time, I guess. Even enlightened societies like the High Elves see slavery as just if they don't like who they apply it to.

Add Kislev and Cathay that are both ruled by super strict elites that can vanish dissenters with majority support. At least Cathay has a cult of veneration and arguably the dragons are the difference between Cathay as we know it and complete extinction via chaos. Benevolent as they may be the Empress still has a secret police assassin sect.

A Von Carnstein riding into town, ritual executing the worst people you've ever known in your life, repealing oppressive practical and taxes and saying "pay this tribute monthly, tell me if anything fucks with you, attractive virgins come to my castle bi weekly" is a pretty sweet deal if you get even one insane Witch Hunter, Noble or Sigmarite Priest in charge going too hard.

I wonder what societies are actually decent. Dwarves, since they're hard wired to accept their lot? A strictly regimented society where everybody sincerely enjoys being duty-bound? The only real bias seems to be against innovators and the Slayer oath culture is super strict. Also all their traditions are slowly driving them extinct, but at least your Thane and Kings are comparatively fair?

Norscans? Another might makes right society. Lizardmen? Another nearly robotic rigid caste society but again everybody is predisposed to liking it. Chaos doesn't hide that it's 4+ different ways to go to hell and drat your soul. Chorfs are super slavers and turbo evil.

Are Vampire Coast/Mercenaries the only truly free people in the setting?

Tomb Kings? Like it's really only the royal families that understand whats going on. The rank and file skeletons are just sort of half dreaming and think Nekraheria is functioning as it did in it's heyday.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 5, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Halflings by all accounts are beneath everyone's notice and they loving like it that way.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Doomykins posted:

They may be philosophically so dense that they win by default but both are absurdly cruel and you have bad odds of being an abused lovely Groblin or Gnoblar in either society, or even just a runty ogre. At least you can overcome those in many cases to rise up, Greasus himself once being a runt and the nastiest goblins being insanely nasty, cunning bastards.

So free, but not just might makes right? Norscans are technically pretty free but also a feudalistic barbarian warlord society. I guess they might be less dickish than an abusive noble society if you're a tundra farmer.

You live in Norsca even just trying to get along subsisting your gonna have to deal with the four coming to call and if your far enough south your religion is basically about how to appease them enough to not bother with you but not enough to attract their attention. It's a fine line to balance, and you tend to get rolled into whatever bullshit the latest champion is calling for anyway.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Whats life like in Estalla gentlemen?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish theyd given sigvald a graphical update. hes meant to be super hot but hotness technology has come on a lot since warhammer 1 so his face looks like a Poser model by comparison now.

I mean poo poo, that was happening in the same game. Compare Grombrindal's actual rendered follicles to the two grims flat textures.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Aversion means it doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to but I have fond memories of some LL's unlikely allies diplomacy barks like Luthor mentioning he recalls Markus's brother.

Vlad could honestly come across as really jubilant about being besties with Urngrim or whoever.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Azran posted:

A thematic difference between the Imperium of Man and the Empire that I think is very indicative of their differences is that in the Imperium Inquisitors are deemed a necessary evil while in the Empire fluff witch hunters are considered misguided and actively harmful whenever they interact with the populace.

The thing about Witch Hunters is that they almost seem necessary because the chaos gods can just jump a motherfucker and say their corrupted now. Festus was just this incredible, utterly dedicated doctor and Nurgle said lol. Cults and cultists will simply happen.

But then, the brutal ideological purity the WH demand doesn't even matter in that case. The only reason Chaos doesn't win is because they just wanna play the game and not really because of how anyone else plays.

Unless your in 40k and it turns the greatest unliving tyrant in the galaxy is in fact so cool that he could set Nurgles entire garden on fire whenever he wanted to. Haha... ha...

Caidin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 5, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This is the easiest Luthor game I think I've ever played. It was almost dicey with Xlanhuapec for a second but Luther went Narcissist before the deciding engagement with about 30 units worth of skink and suarus and Varghasts Revenge along the front line deleted a forth of that on it's own. After that I'm keeping Alberic to slap around for grins but Skolk and some Khornite faction are doing a surprisingly good job of containing the lizards from attacking the awakening.

Maybe... maybe I can just take Luthor on tour for once?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So the dwarf "mobility upgrade" was just buffing rune of speed then?

Also I'm stuck with the settlement battle freeze too, I'm loving vampire coast here the game wipes it's rear end in a top hat with my auto resolve results.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 7, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So are they ever gonna balance the way some settlements have way, way, WAY defense towers then others? Heading back from the donut after a fine day of planting coves an taking a minute to clear out the built up lizard population and fucks me I forgot how rude the laser towers are compared to poncy arrow shooters. Those things can clear half my deckhands out before they even reach the wall, and probably melt the artillery in the bargain.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Arghy posted:

Is the game still getting random crashes or did they patch that?

I've had two today so probably not!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm having an issue playing as Luthor Harkon where I can't recruit a Queen Bess? I did the rite, it says it's in the unit pool. Greyed out when I want to pick it up.

Do i need to be somewhere special? I can't do it encamped or at sea.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PlushCow posted:

It being a regiment of renown recruitment I think you need to be in an owned or friendly province but I could be wrong

Ugh, that might be it. Well the Donut is getting a bit hot right now anyway. Might as well pull Luthor back since Markus is rolling 3 stacks deep into my section of Lustria.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Vampire coast feels slightly... dull, after while? Luthor only really wants to hold onto the awakening until his faculties return to him, but I have a sufficiently developed home guard that I've no need to abandon it even if painting the lustrian interior doesn't appeal to me. I left Alberic up just to kick around and let my fleet admiral down there have something to raid to keep them loyal. Otherwise you just sail around, kicking in ports and drowning the resistance in lead only to scoot along if massed reprisal looms.

Compared to to more hectic landholders like the Empire or Dwarves it's chill, but maybe too chill.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Playing Katarin and as my first game in IM standing next to the Empire, man they are they getting their rear end kicked. The vampires are getting their rear end kicked, Festus is getting his rear end kicked. Lady Tree-Hitler is just running a train down there. Hot Toddy is gone, Karl has two settlements and one isn't even Altdorf. Marinburg and Nordland are... completely fine actually?

Anyway it's concerning.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

You need to capture Altdorf and give it to Franz, then. In the Lore the Empire has saved Kislev before.

I'll get around to it when I finish running off Throgg, dudes the rank 1 and he kinda just declared. Sorry Karl, you confederated Stirland I'm sure it'll be fine.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ulio posted:

Last time I played Katarin, it was in the WH3 campaign but Kislev felt so stressful. I did a bunch of starts on normal then went to very hard and man Kislev is just like border patrol vs the world's worst factions. If the VCs start beating out the Empire you have to fortify the south which is another waste of resource but also in the regular campaign the rifts/portals were another issue. Kislev felt like you are putting out fires from the very start. I do like the invocations mechanic it's one of those things that you can use almost every turn unlike certain factions benefits. Warriors of Chaos and Norsca are my least factions to fight vs so maybe that's why I got stressed but its still a fun campaign. You will enjoy it.

Oh I played Kislev in the big bear campaign, I was just noting that it's even more hectic somehow now. Your crammed in with so many dudes out to spank you. Azhag, Thrott, various flavors of Norsca and Azazel and loving wood elves and maybe Grimgor if you get unlucky. I was just amused to see it all explode so quickly. Kraka Drak went from it's full province to gone in like 3 turns. It's like you have to pick a direction of world to save and hope the rest is there next time you check in. It's it's own colder thunderdome.

Zhulfban was just confederated by Thorgrim, maybe the dwarves are having a good time?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Vampire coast are sorta like dwarves but the instead of small high stat units it's huge flimsy ones saturating the atmosphere with lead and also some really kickass spells. Get Big Bess, just enough deckhands to speed bump the other guy and never stop shooting.

Also your other heroes are good but you live on your gunline and the Gunnery Wright is really loving good for your gunline. Get one.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 10, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Oh nice, this is all excellent, thanks for the VCoast tips everyone!

Next: Is it a sucker's game to start chomping on the donut like the game seems to want me to? Should I just gently caress off to the high seas and not fight archers before I have units faster than this game's patch process?

Noctilus of all the Vampire Coast has the easiest time doing anything because his home turf is a giant pain in the rear end fortress the A.I never tries to take. High Elves are gonna be busy running around trying to fight kinky and edgelords you can fight them head on, poke their undefended bits when they have to move to another front, whatever you want.

One to keep in mind is that those Depth Guard units Noctilus likes? They are not a front line. They are deceptively fragile damage dealers that are best committed into hitting someone busy trying to bury your zombies.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah and you can also hit stuff with it if you bog them down, but like, it's not that impressive when you could just get a carronade and point it at something and it will reliably knock out a few dudes every time it fires whatever you point it at.

Basically bess only works at close range or against stuff pinned down by a unit, a carronade works at any range, so even if bess makes big explosions you have a much narrower time window to use it in especially as you don't want the enemy to be in melee with you at all..

It a big flashy mortar but less reliable and twice as expensive.

Carronades do their okay. But if you want a satisfying cannon other people can do that for you, better. If you want the biggest dumbest gun in the game to fire off and wipe an entire unit in one admittedly sorta lucky shot, Bess is the only one that can make it happen.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 10, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay so, Boris. Since he's not in the big race to rule the country is there much reason to care who you throw supporters at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
yeah I figured this wouldn't be an especially deep decision. Thanks y'all!