Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't know much about Warhammer, so I have a question: why does there seem to be two, but unrelated Warhammer universes? I'm looking up lore ahead of this game and there are things like a ghost race that seem neat conceptually but they're not a part of of this Warhammer world that shows up in the Total War games. What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Basically, some years ago Games Workshop (creators of the original setting and tabletop game) decided to nuke their entire setting and reboot it. The original setting is usually just called Warhammer Fantasy, which is the one that these gamesare set in, while the new version is called Age of Sigmar. They had a whole thing called the End Times with stories and events detailing the collapse and fall of the old world, and it was... not good. Age of Sigmar takes place some millenia after that, when one of the old gods (the titular Sigmar) wakes up and decides to make a new world, featuring a number of the old gods and most of the original races in some form or another.

As to why they did it, there are a bunch of reasons and theories. Probably the biggest one is that Warhammer Fantasy never sold as well as it's big brother Warhammer 40k, and this was an attempt to make it more attractive. It's no coincidence that the new range of miniatures for Age of Sigmar hews pretty close to 40k's aesthetic. But GW has never really been known for the savvy business sense, which is shown by them deciding to kill their old setting right when the TW games were about to create some interest in it. :allears:

Right. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it is deliberately confusing for someone not initiated into the setting at first. Basically this means no ghosts in these TW games.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'll still buy this one. Not-Russia and Not-China seemed cool. I only have TWW1 and not TWW2, though. Maybe I missed out.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So I have a notebook with a 1050Ti and the campaign map murders my computer.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

The campaign map definitely makes my gpu unhappy. Fan runs at 100% and temp is somewhere in the 82 zone. :(

It's not that bad for me, but my cooling system is pretty decent.