Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Oh gently caress this comes out this week

Goddammit now I have to figure out who to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo that diplomacy rework

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

poo poo I expected to check this thread and see a bunch of complaints about turn times and bugs

guess I have to actually play warhams 3 for the first time despite purchasing it at launch

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Help do I want to play valkia or the everfailure for a chaosball playthrough

I fired up 3 for the first time there are so many choices

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

No challenge is lame so score one for valkia, the objectively cooler chaos person

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, did a Kislev RoC campaign (cool concept but never doing that again) and then an IE Archaon shitstomp for catharsis that I long victory'd on Turn 87 because lmao WoC tuning

I dunno how CA managed to make IE play so well but they loving did it. Game owns, forever.

Gonna take a break for a bit and then probably do a Zhao Ming or Noctilus IE run next - are Cathay or Vampirates busted on the IE map in any way I should be aware of? I know Bretts and Dorfs are at least.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Time to tank that reliability rating

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Noir89 posted:

I have played Total War Warhammer since the day TWW1 was released, preordered every game and DLC. Literally thousands of hours in all the games and I have never played a single turn or even started an Empire or Greenskin campaign due to not finding them interesting :v:

Empire is super fun tho, especially now

Greenskins yeah I can't muster up the care unfortunately

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Settra does not swerve.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

Cathay is entirely 100% designed around setting up a line of melee dudes with a line of archers behind them and a line of artillery behind the archers and then sitting in place and shooting the enemy while the enemy comes in at them.

Some general tips:
  • ALWAYS have harmony active on as many units as possible, the bonuses are enormous. You do this by keeping yin units(the black icon) near yang units(the white icon); if they're close enough you'll see a complete yin yang. You also want to keep your lord centered as much as possible, because lords and heroes provide a harmony amplifier that boosts the effects of harmony buffs. While under the effects of boosted harmony, your units basically fight a full tier above their quality. It's even worth doing things like detaching a peasant spear unit to stand near your cannons just to make sure the cannons get that tasty reload bonus.
  • Every non-LL stack gets led by a shugengan. No exceptions. Cathay is very heavily balanced around their lord being a badass that can do badass things, so you need the casting power of the shugengan to fill that role. Magistrates are funny, and I wish they were better, but they're basically a trap option. Either lore of shugengan is good in their own ways, though I tend to prefer Yang.
  • Rush an artillery production building ASAP. It's priority number one, above and beyond any other concerns - Cathay as a faction is absolutely awful on the offensive(with some specific exceptions, like Zhao Ming being able to run a funny melee stack), so you need at least 2-3 artillery pieces in your stacks to cripple the enemy and force them to advance. Treat them like dwarfs and you're not too far wrong.

Some general unit commentary:
  • Infantry/Missile Infantry: Very straightforward linear upgrade tree. Both your melee infantry and your bows have a three step quality upgrade(peasant -> jade -> celestial) and you basically field what you can afford at the time. I tend to prioritize upgrading the frontline over the missile troops for increased holding power, though you can make an argument that celestial crossbows are a better investment than celestial dragon guard.
  • Cavalry: I'm an obsessive cavalry fiend who goes out of his way to use it even in factions where most people ignore it, and I even use commonly neglected units like light cav, and I'm going to tell you that Cathay's cavalry is pretty garbage in the campaign and not really worth the investment. Peasant cav are very mediocre even by cheap light cav standards and jade lancers are like silver helms but worse, and the building simply doesn't do a good job of justifying its slot. Longma Riders are extremely good but they're tier 5 so it's worth skipping this entire building until you have a settlement close to tier 5.
  • Artillery: Cannons are great. Rocket batteries are also great. I tend to go 2:1 on cannons to rocket batteries; rockets are incredible at murdering giant blobs of crap infantry by the hundreds, whereas cannons are better at killing smaller and harder targets.
  • Iron Hail Gunners: These ladies are a very weird unit. The best way to describe them is as an entire unit of slug shotgun users - they have poo poo range and can't be used in a traditional gunline role, but they do absolutely absurd damage. They have a very useful role as a unit you bring one or two of to solve specific problems that Cathay struggles with - two units of them focus firing on a lord or on a cavalry unit that is pinned in place will completely vaporize it in just a few volleys with raw damage output. Do not try to doomstack these or bring more than a couple; they're hyper niche but incredibly useful in their niche.
  • Sky Lantern(the lower tier one): This unit is a complete trash fire when it comes to dealing damage, but it has two useful roles: it provides yin harmony(which means you can float it over your melee line to give them harmony bonuses without having to keep your archers so close) and it also has great line of sight and bonuses to spotting stalking units(so you can bombard them before they're too close). It's always worth having at least one in a stack, but no more than one.

So an example early game stack that I use constantly would be something like:
-Lord
-Astromancer or Alchemist
-6-7 melee
-5-6 bows/crossbows
-3-4 artillery
-1-2 iron hails
-1 sky lantern

A good write up but also don't sleep on sky junks once you get access to them - they're essentially a whole other rocket battery in one unit, which means they have an absurd fire rate because they only have the one launcher. Very mobile, excellent damage, kinda crap ammo but floating a couple of these one either side of the enemy lines is incredible once they finally charge you. Just keep them covered with a unit of Longmas or two.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I know Bel'akor is apparently the easiest campaign in the game currently but is he at least fun? I'm kinda hankering for a proper hybrid chaosball that isn't the everdweeb.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Guess it's time be teleporting rear end in a top hat ex-elf daemon guy, thanks

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sample_text posted:

The only game where I remember the AI cheating this blatantly was Homeworld 2, and they patched that out later.

Lmfao no they didn't

Anyway help my favorite start is Settra how terminal is my gaming cancer

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

iirc that game incentivized deconstructing your fleet at the end of each mission because the game would set the enemy strength as some multiple of yours when you warped into the next one. Or was it even more pathological?

Yeah the scaling response thing was ingame but that wasn't a cheat - It was a one time event that fired at the beginning of a mission, and HW1 worked the same way.

The cheats in the HW2 campaign were the AI getting instant build times for like a minute and/or and free ships when certain events were tripped, and those were never at any point patched out - because otherwise the game would be too easy :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sample_text posted:

drat really?

Some goon in this thread corrected me, that it wasn't the actual AI that was bugged but some particularly bad enemy spawn mechanics, where the game would "rubber band" and give them 2 ships for every one that you had.
But I played through Homeworld 2 without using the dumb "self distruct your fleet after every mission so the game bugs out and gives the AI little units" thing, and I don't remember it being as egregious as it was first time I played it back in the early 2000's.

Like I said, the AI in homeworld 2 got actual cheats, as in broke game rules, but no one noticed because of the scaling stuff because the game was already too easy if you weren't outnumbered lmao

So is the skullstorm spell the tomb kings lore gets the strongest vortex now? It sure as poo poo feels like it, but that might just be because of all the chaff you deal with as early Settra.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Any of the WoC seem easy enough, especially Archaon and Bel'akor. They get a little overpowered version of pretty much all the baseline mechanics.

Welfs too maybe.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Some of the lizards have real spicy starts though, and that's one of the issues mentioned.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I do not understand why people think the skullnado is weak. Settra routinely gets like 700 kills off it when the blobs meet when I play TK.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Franz and Thorgrim still start NAP'd. All other dwarf and empire factions do not.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Can't decide if I'm sad or relieved that I missed the Arghying

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Right now I'm just stretching my line infantry super thin to match the enemy width and hope for the best.

Yeah don't do this, it just means the other guy is going to break through them instantly. Try to find a chokepoint somewhere or failing that just bait with your lord while your ranged goes to work, like others have said.

But seriously infantry depth matters and stretching a damaged unit just means its going to be a dead unit soon.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I started my first Kislev IE game. On one hand, all the challenging battles my heart desires. On the other.... yeah, Kislev is not the strongest faction. Armored Kossars at least do some loving work.

Probably be a bit easier once I get some levels and unlock the big hitter spells.

Depending on who you started as Katarin's ice guard are incredible and Boris of course has the single most right click and make a sandwich army in the game. Just takes a bit to get there.

Konstaltyn is overall kinda weak though yeah.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Gort posted:

I just ran 100% Ice Guard on Katarina since she gets a 50% bonus to upkeep for them.

Incidentally, I kinda hate bonuses like that, and the way that the red skills incentivise you to use as few unit types as possible. It's like being corralled into the most boring army setups possible.

The secret is to not give the slightest poo poo about maximum optimization in a single player campaign

Run half your stack as Ice Guard or whatever and its fine you're still getting crazy cost reduction. Take fun poo poo in the other slots.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Both of you vapid morons shut the gently caress up jesus

talk about cool poo poo like bear knights

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

My opinion is: they rule

I'm torn because they do rule for sure but I'm also a weirdo who liked the Empire being mostly mundane outside the wizards and tanks and they are from the make the empire more fantastical era

I still use them all the fuckin time tho

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Chakan posted:

PYF: tier 0 unit

zombies for me

Luminark :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Bout to start an Eltharion game even though I mostly hate helfs (Imrik was kinda neat tho), I never played him in 2. Anything I should know before I commit to holding both of his start positions? Did Immortal Empires gently caress his campaign mechanics up at all?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Okay what the gently caress Eltharion owns

why am I enjoying an non-imrik elf this feels like a betrayal of myself

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 7, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Play Eltharion if you want to Elf

Very fun campaign from an otherwise turbo boring faction

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

HOLA SKINKS

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

shameful that y'all keep callin that a doomwheel

Also doomwheels are fine as ikit just don't bring more than like 2

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

People are mad about some nerfs they got in game 3 and think they're useless for some reason

Which is especially dumb when the context is a skryre campaign, a situation where every unit you have is op

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Personally, I just explode all the walls

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

some reddit rear end posts in here today

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Bear Cav, Bear Cav!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Boris is one of my favorite IE starts because he's just Bear Doomguy in both the units sense and the physical sense

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Yeah I loved that campaign. It looks extremely hard when you're surrounded by orange settlements and chaos shits, but then you get to killing and it all makes sense. Turning up at Archaon's house on turn 20 and finishing him, before returning to Kislev to retire (and maybe help them not die) is very funny.

that one picture of archaon getting stomped on by deathclaw from back in the wh1 thread but instead he's drowning in bears

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Chorfs are great and I desire them but I've been kinda comin around on wanting a Nagash campaign more tbh

Give me non-chaos Bel'akor but even more roided up

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Nagash starts his campaign as a Grail Relique

switching my vote to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

So lore wise, who is the strongest character in all of the Warhammer universe? Sigmar?

Outside of literal gods with non-interference MAD treaties it's Nagash. Pretty much no one can step to him without having to throw around the kind of power that nukes the setting and squats bretonnia.