Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

alex314 posted:

So to make it clear: for daemon soul battles there's no malus for waiting a bit, building bunch of towers and getting your units replenished?

I think your supply income will eventually fizzle out if you do this, so there is a limit on how much you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

They need to make Wei-jin a major 10-slot capitol.

Also, I’m irrationally irritated that they haven’t fixed whatever switch they flipped that caused Zhao Ming to appear over Miao Ying and make him the sole “Recommended first campaign.”

Zhao Ming is easier than Miao Ying though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Really don’t get the Toddy love. Wasting a lord slot on an Empire general with an eyepatch seems like a bad idea to me

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Randarkman posted:

It's not a zero sum game. He already has a model (and it's great), and it's about adding Middenland and everything associated with it. You are wrong.

Writing my name in the Book rn

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, are the giant bears not good? I'm finally getting around to Kislev and I wanted to try one out in Katarin's army

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Archaon at least is metal cover warlord, which is more than can be said for the likes of Ghorst

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Thorgrim's going to bleed out writing all this in the book

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

And his abilities and items may give an edge, like N'kari being able to take Skarbrand if you line everything up right

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Estalia and Tilea have interesting lore, being sort of post-Renaissance Early Modern Spain and Italy, so they’ve got art and science and even international trade ties, but it’s all limited by his politically fractured they are. Marienburg is also pretty cosmopolitan and culturally distinct from the Empire

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'd probably make the elf crisis Malekith getting crowned Eternity King and all the elven factions teaming up for a final go at world domination

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tyrion and Teclis just nonchalantly shouting “enslave them” for their post-battle recovery option is always a funny surprise

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also Teclis' primary form of human outreach is organizing massive orgies in altdorf like some kinda pointy eared ben franklin

Actually elves rule now

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Zhao Ming is really fun, yeah, both dragon siblings are. If you're in Cathay, Vilitch is a neat start there too

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

That’s pretty much it, from what I remember. Unless you really like doing the Zanbaijin quest battle, there’s no reason not to switch to IE (unless starting in Naggaroth is
a problem)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'll snort copium until I see a vision of Dogs of War

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

There is an Ogre tribe that sells captives to the Chorfs, and they made the leader of that tribe his own mecha-Rhinox and threw in some matching armor too

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

feller posted:

Is the elf pantheon the same thing as the old ones the lizards keep talkin about?

There are certainly some pointed similarities between their two top dog gods, Chotec and Asuryan- both being creator gods of fire and the sun that supposedly have big plans. Asuryan's temple on Ulthuan also looks more than a little Lustrian

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Unfortunately End Times basically made any speculation like this moot, with the revelations about the true nature of the Elven Pantheon (they're survivors of the previous universe that Chaos destroyed). The Old Ones are explicitly aliens who modified the planet that already existed and supported dragons. The Elf Pantheon showed up later and the Elves started worshipping them.

Oddly, the Old Ones made the Elves etc etc and then left the planet without finishing their plans with the Ogres. The Elf Pantheon have been active divinities after the Old Ones left. Big example is the Brettonian Lady is one of the Elf Deities, or a daughter of one I forget the exact detail. It is theoretically possible the Elf Deities are the ones who kicked the Old Ones off the planet. Since they're apparently against creating species as weapons against Chaos, which is what the Old Ones were doing.

This is the provided logic for why they did what they did with Brettonia, making an entirely new race of mortals as weapons was not cool, taking an existing one and inspiring them into becoming weapons was fine.

Yeah, I've always thought what the End Times did with the elf deities was really weird, especially since I liked the religious overlap a lot of the factions had. Beyond Asuryan/Chotec, a bunch of human gods were also pretty clearly aspects of elf gods too: Taal/Kurnous, Rhya/Isha, Manaan/Mathlaan, etc. I think there were a few other Old Ones that were really similar to the elf pantheon, but I'd have to check

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

The problem is if the Elf/Human Deities (who are still mixed in the new End Times Lore, the Sea Deities are the same being with different names for example) are Old Ones, the situation with the Ogres makes zero sense. The Ogres are canonically the last unfinished project of the Old Ones, if there are still Old Ones around why is there an unfinished project they actively don't do anything about.

See, I more thought that since gods are born in the Warp/Realm of Chaos from belief, the holes the departure of the Old Ones left behind were filled by newborn gods. Asuryan and Chotec are connected not because they're exactly one and the same, but because the early elves' memory of Chotec was deified as Asuryan, and so on. It does feel really nerdy and unsupported, but that's the idea I like

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wonder if the regular orc slaveslabourers who are cannonfodder even give a poo poo. A fight's a fight.

I think some of the flavor text on Astragoth’s red line said that their lives are so miserable that dying on the front lines would be a release

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently Zhatan's old model's mounts are also just a taurus or lamassu, which doesn't sound too exciting compared to the other two lords.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Chaos Realms as a starting province for monogods could be interesting. From there you could perhaps portal through and make that your starting zone in the world. Balance would probably be all over the place but those areas have some great visual design and it would be nice to incorporate them somehow.

This is more or less what N'kari got in RoC, right up in the corner of the Chaos Wastes, and he's definitely up there as one of the most fun Chaos factions. I did play his campaign with the RoC portal mechanics turned off though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clearly the tragic result of an Estalian trade expedition to Norsca, I applaud CA's commitment to this kind of subtle storytelling

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

The first time I ever played ME (so back in 2) was a Tyrion campaign. One of the goals was to eliminate Malekith. I had him down to one lovely backwater town, and as I besieged him, he confederated Malus, who was like 30 movement turns away. So I spent 30 turns marching Tyrion through the worlds of men to hunt that fucker down. Even just a very, very simple set of rules like "AI will not accept confed requests from 'weaker' factions" would fix that kind of dumb game-y bullshit.

My real hope though is that they reduce the anti-confed values for Lizardmen, it might as well just not be possible for those factions with how hard it is now. Oh we've been friendly trade partners for 50 turns, you're down to your last city and no army and no allies? Definitely still not confederating with me.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789903475

This is a great mod for the problem, and I do think hitting 150 relations with a same-race faction is an entirely fair requirement to confederate

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also, the island nation in the not-Atlantic is filled with race-supremacist monstrously arrogant assholes who think they're the divinely chosen superior race and don't like to talk about how they got thrown off the continental mainland by a war that got started because they didn't want to admit that they had a civil war and can't control the rebel faction.

Sounds a lot like this other supremely arrogant race that loves talking about their divine ancestors and murdering anyone who ever gave them the wrong amount of change at a convenience store, but we don’t need to think about either of them too much- Gork and Mork are all about spreading humility, one ancient citadel at a time

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

There's a convoy item that gives perfect vigor too, rocking it on Astragoth atm

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Every time dwarfs in the campaign quest battles send in gyrocopter squadrons to harass my backlines, blunderbusses just shoot them down in one volley, it's beautiful

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Do the stories in Warhammer ever have someone occupying a city of a different race and just letting them all live? Is there a town where orcs and dwarfs just hang out?

Yeah, Zharr Naggrund

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Sisters of Twilight (and Ariel) are also super fun to play now, Wood Elves are the best for building tall and fighting a very wide array of factions while doing the good deed of healing the special trees

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Last night I went through and installed a bunch of mods I should have already been using like the skill tree planner and clearer border lines. Things that are just UI stuff rather than actual cheats.

The one "cheaty" one I actually got was the one that allows all races to use the chaos warband system of upgrading existing units. It's technically easier, yes... but christ, it's just so much more convenient to not have to disband and reform units just to upgrade them, especially when you are away from home. It's barely a matter of time, mostly it's just needing to delete and then encamp to recruit globally, and yes that does require more money. But a version of this for all people would be great for the base game.

Yeah, being able to swap between unit variants on the fly is more than worth the "cheatiness." Handing out shields should not mean having to go and recruit a whole new unit

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Kanos posted:

Let's see:
  • The High Elves are content to sit on their asses and wait for the rest of the world to burn to ash and their species to die despite being the greatest living storehouse about how to fight against Chaos in the world(after Lizardmen, but they aren't talking). Teclis is basically the only prominent member of the species whose entire approach to the world isn't "gently caress em", and he's considered a loving weirdo maverick because he did things like "teach the humans how to use magic so they could stop Chaos from overrunning the entire world", and even he is only able to do stuff like that without severe censure because he and his brother are celebrities. They spend all of their time lounging around and intriguing with each other(so much so that it was even a core mechanic of theirs on the tabletop!) rather than actually using their power and knowledge to save the world, and they're too arrogant to give a poo poo about anything else. Remember that the entire reason high elves and dwarfs hate each other is that the phoenix king decided to have a dwarf shaved bald as a deliberate insult rather than saying "Sorry, can we work things out, that doesn't sound right!"

• Dwarfs look down their noses at literally everyone who isn't them. Their word for human, "umgi", is a derivative of "umgak", which means shoddy - every time they talk to a human they're implying the human sucks on a basic level. Their pride is absurd - the high elves were absolutely the instigators of the war of the beard, but the dwarf response to "they grievously insulted our ambassador" wasn't "wow, high elves are dicks, let's not trade/talk to them anymore", it was "all-consuming world war that leaves tens of thousands of dead and cripples both of our races forever, ensuring the inevitable victory of the cosmic evil that wants to blow up the planet. They run a society where innovation is frowned upon to such a degree that as a people they are terrified to ever try anything new or evolve. If your designs fail, you are ostracized(which, to dwarfs, is functionally worse than death because of the aforementioned pride). Even if your designs succeed with flying colors, they are viewed with mistrust and suspicion by the old guard - see Thorek Ironbrow looking down his nose at inventions that have kept the dwarfs alive for centuries. Worst of all is the entire slayer business; this is a society where if you lose face in any way the only redress is to become a suicidal death cultist. There's no redemption besides death in combat, and if you don't die in active combat and instead die or wounds or sickness it doesn't count and they consider you a dishonored failure who never gets to go to dwarf heaven.

• The Empire is perfect and wonderful with no societal problems or issues and you should feel terrible for attacking it.

Though apparently in the War of the Beard books, some Dwarven princes were already leading attacks on Helf towns right before the whole shaving thing for the crime of letting middle class dwarves make too much money off trading with them

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

HerraS posted:

Astragoth: growling in hosed up Dwarfish

also Astragoth: Let's waddle :haw:

ASTAGOTH ZOOLAHOOO!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

There's a mod that ties Slaanesh replenishment to how much Slaanesh corruption is in an area, and it's good gameplay synergy with how encouraged Slaanesh is to spread their influence around

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Valkia and Astragoth both being put right next to Kislev is rough, especially with the Empire factions just existing to be chew toys for Skrag and Festus in RoC

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This Clan Eshin game has gotten insane, while I'm chopping through eastern and southern Cathay the chorfs just ate everything north of the wall. I don't want to have to deal with you god drat it! Vilitch liked me! Bring back Vilitch!

Pray hard enough to Tzeentch and you just might get him growing out of your back next

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lizards got three dlcs, but it doesn’t feel like it sometimes

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yuan Bo does seem like a good pick to expand on Cathay’s core faction identity rather than trying to bolt a Monkey Warrior subfaction to it right at the get-go

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

I don't think Changeling should be a LL. LH, maybe, or even its own Tzeentch-only campaign mechanic. But LL? Strange to think of it as leading an army.

If Sniktch and Oxyotl can lead armies, so can the Changeling, I say. Especially when his main competitor I see talked about is just a blue armored normal chaos lord who rides a dragon

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did they learn nothing from the last time they tried this?!

Clearly they did, it's definitely working this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Wait where did they announce the generic lord/hero additions?

Looking anywhere but here is wading through a sea of the same memes/posts about the cost and nothing else.

There is one new generic lord for Cathay, a frontliner general, and then one generic hero for Kislev, a hag. That's it, and honestly after the price it's the biggest stickler for me. Cathay and Kislev are the factions that need new hero and lord types the most, especially melee heroes