Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Nagash as a Sword of Kaine or Lord Kroak style unbalanced unlock for the Undead races seems like a good way to implement him, rather than a full fledged faction of his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

I'm enjoying things so far - Launch day jank aside. There's definitely a lot that's going to be smoothed out over the next while. I'm having fun with my Cathay campaign, and I actually kinda like the urgency the portals are creating, it keeps me on my toes, and I'm actually having to make tactical decisions about what fires to put out in my provinces. The realms are definitely gonna get old through multiple playthroughs though.

I also hope they fix how the AI can't handle the corruption from the portals, like at all. Cathay is still mostly pristine, but the entire rest of the world is a pink and purple wasteland at like turn 80.

Haven't really had a chance to dig into the other races other than the Kislev prologue and Cathay. My complaint about both of those races so far is that they seem kinda... tonally off from the other established order races? Like I wish Kislev was a little grittier and dirtier looking than they are. As is, they look fancier and more noble than the Empire right now, especially for a nation that has been repeatedly reduced to rubble. I wish they'd saved war wagons for Kislev instead of the Empire, instead of the magical sleds, for instance.

Cathay almost feels like it was played too straight vs. the fantastical lore that's been built up about it previously. I feel like they could have turned up the wackiness on their design and unit selection just a little bit.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the updates and the combined map! It definitely seems like it's going to be more than a port over of the WH2 version with Cathay stapled on - if they add all the missing landmass from Lustria and the south, that's a pretty huge redesign.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Raygereio posted:

About Kislev: I've had two false starts now and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be a fun, challenging campaign, were it not for the Realm of Chaos mechanic.
I don't really see a way how I can send Katarin's army off to fetch a soul. When I do, the one other army I can afford can't really fight the multiple fronts with Norscans, various demons and that one Ulricdamned Empire faction that backstabbed me in one campaign.:argh:
By the time Katarin comes back, she has a nasty trait with something like -20 control, so she's useless for a bunch more turns because everywhere she goes I just get more rebellions.

Yeah, just running around feeling like I'm barely keeping my head above water on multiple fronts is fun enough as Katarin, but I am definitely struggling to find the bandwidth to even bother with the realms with how hard I'm getting reamed on every front. I have like 3 provinces under and the 3 cities under control and I can still barely afford a second army to keep things held down, let alone any high tier units. Finding Kislev's roster fun as hell though. Armored Kossars are decent line-holders in addition to having a good ranged attack, Streltsi are awesome and just the best looking unit in the game IMO, and I've actually been getting decent value out of the dervishes, for rear charging stuff and picking off high value targets while the rest of my army shoots the poo poo out of stuff.

Overall, after a good 20-30 hours in so far, I'm in agreement that the bones of the game are really solid and promising. I like the new settlement battles, and I have been able to fight a good balance of field battles still, but walled sieges are still kinda rear end - 9/10 times, they just get decided at the walls still, and it never seems like you make it into the elaborate streets inside the settlement. I think the realm mechanic is a bit half-baked - I feel like I've barely had enough time to settle in from the previous round of portals by the time the next round rolls through. Also kinda bummed that we've lost the race specific story beats from the WH2 vortex campaign. REALLY excited to see what modders do with all these new systems and how the campaign gets fixed that way.

Kinda expecting the inevitable Chaos Dwarf campaign is probably just going to take part in the race as well, but I hope they prove me wrong on that.

Lugubrious! fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 22, 2022

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Noticed this little lore bit on the far western side of the empire - Seems like it would hint at a possible starting location for one of the missing dragon kids...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

I've been getting a ton of value out of the armored kossars, personally. They hold a line well, definitely better than any of the empire state troops, and you can get some good flanks and choke points setup with their pistols. They can definitely hold a line well enough for my other, better units to get some work done, whereas the regular kossar's fold pretty quick in melee.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Yeah, it's hard for me to justify ever running any other invocation other than Ursun, since there's usually 5-6 enemies rampaging through my territory at any given time.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I haven't finished a Kairos (or any campaign after the first one) but does he gets the ability to see the present? Like some massive campaign line of sight buff or does it reveal the map or any of the thing you might expect from his achieving omniscience?

Nobody really gets any kinda buff for finishing the campaign, which is kinda lame :/

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

The only mod that matters just got ported from WH2! - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2793906227

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Asehujiko posted:

I'm going to go with Rakarth - late flc lord not introduced alongside any major content to bump up the player count, wildly overshadowed by the final update a few months after.

His campaign is actually pretty fun though, whereas Tretch I've tried to boot up a couple times and somehow end up indescribably bored after 10 turns. I think his lack of mechanics and Naggaroth being my least favourite part of the map have something to do with it.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

As a counterpoint, I thought Wulfhart's campaign was super fun, challenging, and flavourful, with the one bad mechanic being the aggression thing, which was more annoying than a total deal breaker.

Nakai's sucked, but it's apparently massively improved in IE with all the various changes to vassals and diplomacy, plus a bunch of buffs he got.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Dramicus posted:

Does anyone have a mod that fixes the colors for the Knights of the Realm. They aren't supposed to be uniform.

Yes!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853758656

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

had a pretty good dwarf campaign going and then something went wrong and now the game crashes every time I end turn and get to faction 89/99. Ah well.

I've had like 3 campaigns do this to me now, on random turns and at random factions. Just lost a really fun Wulfhart campaign to it :/

I'm running mods, but they're mostly cosmetic ones...

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Deketh posted:

I feel you on the wheelbarrow, so you could always try this mod for Greasus to make him less silly
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2797285695

I just finished an Ogre Kingdoms campaign in IE as Greasus and had a really good time of it. I had wars going on on every side of the Mountains of Mourn and it was pretty tense at times. Even had an expedition into Cathay to sack a bunch of cities that Vilitch took and then sell them back to Cathay for big bucks.

Here's a few more Greasus reskin mods, if the above one is a little bit too much (I find it a bit busy, personally)

Greasus Goldtooth - The Overtyrant
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853032321

Greasus' Gnoblar Palanquin - I think the actual Palanquin looks pretty lovely and janky, but it also gives you an option of just having Greasus on foot, if you wanna keep the original character design.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2799555130

Other completely essential Ogre mods:

Maneater Variety - The best Ogre mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2793906227

Armoured Tyrants
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2794880709

Bruisers - Really well done melee hero that has multiple classes
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2840691327

Victory Conditions Overhaul - Probably one of my favourite mods overall, he's slowly updating all the IE races with more flavourful victory conditions. Greasus was recently added.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2858059010

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

What kind of mount does everyone like using for Ikit Claw and Warlock Engineer lords? Doomwheels are fancier but a bigger target and harder to use than the Doom Flayer, which you can kind of leave in melee. However, IIRC Ikit’s ranged weapon is disabled if he takes a mount, so I was always unsure back when I did his campaign.

I can't bring myself to put Ikit on a mount because I love the sound of his flamethrower too much.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Francis posted:

ok but show me the AI and balance changes to give the game any challenge whatsoever after turn 20

As cool as these reworks and content additions are, they're also taking some of the very few difficult starts left in the game and making them vastly easier.

Yeah, I really do miss them leaning into the hard starts. I like feeling like I'm constantly sinking with Franz or Katarin. I way preferred the old Beastmen too, where it felt like I actually had to do hit and runs before a superior force showed up to scuttle me. Now they're just OP in a way that isn't very engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Ah marketing. Promise your next DLC won't be so expensive then sell it at $10 more but break the product up into three parts. The customers won't suspect a thing. Looks like it worked too.

Shadows of Change = $35.95AUD Thrones of Decay = $44.85AUD

... It's the same price (if not slightly lower?) if you buy it all as a bundle.