Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This video was pretty helpful for letting me get a handle on how to play Tzeentch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09b97K7Ml8

Short version of the most relevant parts for fighting battles:
- Spam blue fire with Kairos, in fact hit-and-run and pick apart the enemy with having a flying caster from level 1
- Blue horrors come easy and go easy, spam the poo poo out of them (probably even to the exclusion of more pinks super-early on)

I've also gotten a whole lot of mileage out of Lord Forwind's guides. He's got one for each faction and they're super in depth, usually about an hour each

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxLGuRK2TJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

the superior ranged cav is war wagons

The superior ranged cav is Lord Kroak.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

A really big help with combat is turning on the icon that shows what other units the unit you have selected can beat in a one on one. Makes putting things into winning engagements much easier, and knowing what units you need to gang up on or flank. It can sometimes not be totally accurate with single entities, but I've never had it steer me too wrong.

One thing that's helped me is skirmish vs AI. If I'm playing a faction I'm not super familiar with, or fighting an army/units I'm not familiar with, I'll often jump into the Skirmish and test units out in basic fights to see how they actually handle.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

So if the Goblin Hewer does very high damage and has a very low ammo supply, wouldnt that mean goblins are basically the very last thing you want to hew with the Goblin Hewer?

The goblins are just ablative armor for the units behind them

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Yah that is extra scummy

Buy the whole thing at discount or no discount

According to the CA blog, if you buy one DLC and then purchase the others later, you'll get the 15% discount applied retroactively, so it could be worse.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

The individual %15 discounts dont seem to be working. I already bought the Malakai DLC and Elspeth's DLC is still full priced. Also, I had a look on Fanatical and the Elspeth DLC is listed at $999 for some reason while the others have normal prices. This whole selling the DLC in bits thing is a great idea, but CA still has a lot of work ahead to actually make it function correctly...

I haven't bought any of the three yet, but I'm planning on it once I get paid, hopefully they'll have it sorted by then.

Also

quote:

CA still has a lot of work ahead to actually make it function correctly

I think this is actually the official CA company motto

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't know if it's a bug or by design but if it's the latter that's a pretty scummy move for them to have done to anyone who wants to play the Empire that they've paid through for the nose for over the years but that didn't want to get this DLC.

Not to be a jerk, but maybe you should go play a game you actually enjoy? The DLC are decent, and aren't anymore expensive than a night out at the pub and if you don't want to get them the game still works as it always has and still is fun. I had a great campaign playing as Karl with Patch 5.0 and didn't have to pay a cent. Cav is a wrecking ball now.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I enjoy the game just fine. I had a lot of fun last night with my Empire campaign and trying to get the most out of the Nuln confederation (which was just an incidental part of the rest of the game). I literally just posted a guide for people who don't or can't or won't own the DLC for whatever reasons to get the most out of their Empire campaign without it bugging out on them.

And (if it's not a bug) it is scummy for them to take away a lord, heroes, and units you confederated fair and square in the game because you didn't pay for the associated dlc.

Oh no, the guide was totally cool, it was good read and the sort of thing that makes the thread worth reading.

Outside if that, if you didn't pay for the DLC I don't think it's surprising that you can't play those characters or units :shrug:. I mean, a quick google search says it's been that way going back to TW2 at least, and probably further back than that. It'd be nice if they just gave you a generic lord with standard Empire units, but that's probably better left as a request to CA rather than an ongoing discussion.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Subscribed

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Levin posted:

So, is the verdict in? Thrones of Decay gud? Any sections disappointing? I usually wait a while for a heavy discount, still haven't bought Shadows of Change, but am admittedly tempted.

Well, not to brag or anything, but I played my first campiagn Tamurkhan campaign yesterday and this morning I woke up with the flu. I don't think it's a coincidence.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

As a profligate of nurgle, I poo poo my self every day

Got some of that too

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I think I do not like the grudge system in its current incarnation. I'm still working through my Malakai campaign, just focusing on doing his adventures, and the grudge system really discourages playing a proactive game where you focus on actual threats.

The grudge system really wants me to kill goddamn Kislev because they look some territory off the orcs and Norscans that the dwarfs seem to feel are rightfully theirs, while the loving Lord of the End Times over there has fewer grudges attached to him than a freshly spawned savage orc warboss.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

So obviously it was very controversial when it came out for myriad good reasons but now with the updates they did, is Shadows of Change worth a purchase hypothetically? I'd probably not play the changeling, would be more likely to play the launch Tzeentch lord or Vilitch and use whatever crossover units he has access to, the other two new faction lords are more appealing and I'd probably play them over the launch ones. Are the units and Legendary heroes they added useful/fun/interetsing?

I'll probably not buy it for awhile anyway, wait until it goes on sale or something. I was just curious.

The 2024 Warhammer Skulls event is on May 23rd, and they usually have pretty big discounts on steam, so it may be worth it to wait until then and see if it's on sale

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Ok, which factions aside from Empire/Rebels are they going to include? Hutts? We've never seen a Hut ship. All the designs are fan-made. A Star Wars TW has almost no potential for DLC, unless they want to start selling individual ship classes for 10 bucks or whatever.

Counterpoint, Star Wars isn't real and they can just make stuff up. Who says Ewoks can't make a spaceship out of twigs and bark and a giant hollowed out log?

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Oh, they could do that. They just won't. Same reason why they wouldn't just add a magical pony faction to Warhammer, even though nothing is stopping them.

This is Bretonnia erasure

Disney loves money more than it loves Star Wars and will happily make up the stupidest poo poo if it makes them more money.

Edit: I will add that I think it's all moot anyway because I don't think that they are working on a Star Wars game, and that 40K is much more likely.

das hipster fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 17, 2024

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

The number of factions in a Star Wars game is going to make zero difference in how much money Disney makes, because for 99.9% of consumers it's the Star Wars on the cover that will sell them the copy and not the Total War.

Look, I just space ewoks okay? And Wookies don't count.

quote:

This is correct, although I don't think a 40k game is likely either

For me it's a blend of wishful thinking and the fact that I'm not sure what else they can do with the fantasy property, and since they already have a good working relationship with GW, 40k would be a logical next step.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Caidin posted:

I for one cannot wait to annihilate units of tier 4 Sith Marauder units with a bunch of Ewok Slingers

Scavenwoks

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Base game = blue

Color armor red, give a few extra chain swords = $20 + tip
Color armor green, give monk hoods = $20 + tip
Color armor grey, remove their helmets + give them red hair, = $33 + tip

If they do go 40k, they'd better give us an army painter. Playing dress up with burly space marines sparks joy for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think it would ever happen. While Dawn of War might have established the army painter as a precedent, CA very much locks colors to factions. I don't think CA has ever let players customize colors.

Edit: unless... They did a daniel, build-a-bear space marine chapter and could name and color it whatever... that'd be rad.

It's a faint hope I'll admit, but given the sheer number of Space Marine Chapters/Imperial Guard Regiments, etc, it would make sense in game, but yeah, like 95% chance thing'll be locked.