Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Aluf Yooper,
British intelligence has found signs of the current build up being staged out of a base near Kanaker, north east of the expected assault. I've included a reference photo of the facility.

A Tornado GR1A out of RAF Akrotiri has been tasked to get a low angle IR imaging pass as soon as possible to confirm the intelligence. Assuming we see signs of activity, we would like to place it on the high priority target list to deny supplies to the offensive. However, it is just outside the city, so attacking aircraft will have to watch their ingress and egress routes to avoid collateral damage.

Also, with NAS 801 supporting the Israeli objectives, I remind you that part of our possible load out is Sidearm anti-radiation missiles, to allow for close range suppression of enemy missile systems and other radar based air defenses. Please assign takings as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Attention naval aviators. I have details for our strike. The target is an industrial facility located at the following cordinates in western Iraq.

North 32 44 22
East 38 59 57
Alt 2604

Aspen has provide imagery of the wider area and the inset for the target.

The buildings indicated by red boxes are to be destroyed. The buildings indicated by green boxes MUST NOT be damaged as they contain extremely dangerous chemicals and we really don't want that to happen.

The facility is defended by AAA and one known SA-3 site. The SAM systems along the ingress corridor from the coast have been severely degraded by our actions prior to the ceasefire and by additional cruise missile strikes. We are looking at an approximate 250nm ingress to the target. Tanker support is available off the coast. The government of Israel will also permit emergency landings in their territory if that becomes necessary.

Any Iraqi aircraft in your way is considered hostile and may be engaged. Any active Iraqi SAM system may also be engaged. Just remember the facility is the target and fuel will be extremely tight. loadout particulars are at the flight leads discretion.

CAG out.

Lumme
Mar 2, 2013
Ford 1 Briefing

September 1st, 1990

Alright Ford 1, I'm going to be quick, my shore leave was rudely interrupted by this and I'd like to go sleep some of my hangover away. Our task is to provide CAP to cover Devil flight while they do their ground strike in western Iraq.

In simplicity the flightplan is as follows, take of from the boat, and if we've burned meaningfull amounts of fuel refuel at the S3 flying abowe the carrier, and fly along the Devils to the target. There, or soon before, we'll split of their path and take positions south from the target, flying a CAP track there catching any uninvited visitors coming from the south. afterwards direct return to the carrier, if fuel runs out we've been graciously allowed by Israel to use their fieds if needed for emergency landings. The fuel situation will be pretty tight, so please leave your walkmans and polaroids on the boat.

Loadout:
Full bags,
2xAIM-9,
2xAIM-7,
5XAIM-54

I'll allow some own initative on exact loadout, but you'll have to fight with the folks below deck about it yourself.

ROE
Any iraqi warbird is considered hostile and to be shot if they come within range.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Knock Kanaker.

IAF has assured me that if we can strike the Syrian 3AD staging depots it will blunt a significant portion of the hostiles strike capabilities. That is our primary goal. Secondary goal is to hit the 3AD armor column moving from Kanaker towards the IAF positions. The column location is unknown at this time.

THREATS

AAA will absolutely be present and, judging by past missions, will be our greatest threat. The Syrians have had plenty of time to repair airbases, so CAP, expect to encounter hostile flights. Lastly we will probably see SAM sites, not the big fixed position stuff, but I've no doubt that the Syrians could have pulled some mobile assets down from the north.

The USN will be conducting operations into Iraq. They should not be anywhere near our AO. If you run into jammer issues please let me know and we can kindly ask the Tomcats to stop screeching.

TASKING

CAP - DODGE 1 & DODGE 2

Dodge 1 (M2K) will cover CAP ALPHA. Dodge 2 (F-15C) will cover CAP BRAVO. Should there be no threats out of Lebanon then Slingshot will coordinate both Dodge flights on BRAVO.

Dodge 2 will go up first, followed by Dodge 1. Hold just back from your racetracks and let the Harriers SEAD your zones. This map has been adjusted slightly so you are just back from Kanaker. If any errant SAM's survive Enfield's run then you should be able to hold back a touch and engage accordingly.

Likely air bases are points #3 and #4, though we could see aircraft from Damascus and beyond, who knows.

PANTHER

Panther. You are primary task as strikers with secondary recon role on the ingress. By this I mean try to vector your inbound route over the potential path of the incoming 3AD advance. One Panther flight should focus 100% on the depot, with the 2nd Panther flight striking armor if/when it is found. If the armor is not found the 2nd Panther flight will be clean up at Kanaker Depot. Please focus on harder targets, Colt will go in with Zuni's and can mop up light stuff.

Panther 3 will fly TARCAP.

Please relay Kanaker depot status upon egress to Slingshot or Matzomaker so we can brief the Skyhawks.

COLT

Colt will fly the most direct route, using a flight path between the Sea of Galilee and Rosh Pina Airport. Primary tasking will be soft depot targets at Kanaker. MatzoMaker/Slingshot will brief you on the target situation once Panther has eyes. Don't bother hunting tanks on egress, expend all ordnance on the depot.

Enfield

Enfield, I'd like you to make best use of your Sidearm missiles for SEAD. Your exact capabilities and limitations are hazy to me yet, so I'm leaving this ball in your pitch. You enter the AO using ground cover and engage the SA-2's and SA-6's that are north of Kanaker. You'll have Dodge just behind you in case the bad people show up, and if all else they fire at Dodge and emit so you can shoot them.

CMDR Snapshot, please advise if your tasking needs revision.

Guidance

Avoid civilian casualties near the AO at Kanaker. If a bomb hits a mud hut next to the depot, oh well, if it strikes an apartment complex on the other side of town then we look bad in the international media. Don't burn our good will with an errant bomb strike. Same goes for aerial targets, don't shoot airliners.

Re-Arm / Re-Fuel

This is a one run and done unless otherwise noted. The caveat is if you eat poo poo in the first 15 minutes or so, then get a new bird and get into the air.

CODEWORDS

BONER - Some rear end in a top hat is shooting telephone pole sized SAM's at me. USAGE : "Winglead! I've got a BONER coming right for me!"
SMASHPOT - I found the armor column. USAGE : "Pass word to Panther, it's time to SMASHPOT!"
SHRUBBERY - The depot is damaged. USAGE : "Them bastards are gonna need a new SHRUBBERY."
GARDEN - The depot is thoroughly hosed.
WICKET - The Harrier's have destroyed a hostile SAM.

Launch Order

ENFIELD -> DODGE -> COLT (Because you're slow) -> PANTHER

Yooper fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 6, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I appreciate that you didn't include one for "all our CAP is dead, run away." I like the confidence.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I appreciate that you didn't include one for "all our CAP is dead, run away." I like the confidence.

This is implied.

CombatFlite link here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w4jmm59vl8h3nq/2nd%20Season%20Mission%201.cf?dl=0

Timing is not specific, just pathing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWmbLS2_ec

... What the hell are you bothering me for? What part of 'on leave' don't you understand? Finally got away from losing my half my goddamn squadron twice a day, and you get Mossad to track me down all the way here just to finally debrief my team from last time? Who gives a poo poo, everybody got 20 kills, aces all around --

Oh, war's back on? Well poo poo, why didn't you say so. Give me a sec to lose the beard and the aloha shirt ... Ah, that's better. Hit it, Keiki.

:siren:DAY 5 BRIEFING:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMvM7WNXZY

Operation: KNOCK KANAKER
1 September 1990, 0600 hours
Ramat David IAF Base
בָּסִיס חֵיל-הַאֲוִויר רָמַת דָּוִד‎

4x F-15C Eagle "Baz"

Element 1:
Dodge 2-1: ninjahedgehog aka wrathcough
Dodge 2-2: Alchenar

Element 2:
Dodge 2-3: Zephirum
Dodge 2-4: Tythas

Welcome back to the war, Knights. You’re all aces now – some of you a few times over – so I’ll keep this one pretty simple. No, it’s not because I’m still mentally on vacation, shut up Yooper, you're not my real ABM.

IAF flights are gonna bomb some poo poo, and we’re gonna kill the planes trying to kill them. The Americans are doing some other stuff in Iraq that we don’t really care about.

Launching first, as usual, and then we’ll hold position at WP 2 until the Brits neutralize the SAM threats. Once Sling Shot reports all clear, we’ll assume a BARCAP racetrack over the target area until they tell us to leave. First in, last out, as usual.

Let’s all try our very best not to get ourselves -- and more importantly, the strike flights -- killed.

WP1: Ramat David (slightly offscreen)
WP2: CAP hold point
WP3: SE end of BARCAP
WP4: NW end of BARCAP

AERIAL THREAT ASSESSMENT

Expect the same types of Syrian MiGs we’ve been seeing so far to make reappearances. Consult prior briefings for best practices on engagement.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

All Syrian military aircraft are valid targets, and there are no civilian aircraft expected in the AO. Remember that the use of ECM is prohibited.

ARMAMENT

4x AIM-9M Sidewinder, 4x AIM-7MH Sparrow, 2x fuel tanks.

Dismissed.
... now what's the best way to mix a mai tai in a M1910 canteen ...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ninjahedgehog posted:

No, it’s not because I’m still mentally on vacation, shut up Yooper, you're not my real ABM.

That's for sure, bitch.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Oorah Devil Dogs, time to shake off the hangover and put up the flip-flops because R&R is officially over and it's time to turn poo poo into multiple, smaller, pieces of itself. The tenuous ceasefire between the Syrians and the Israelis has completely collapsed and we're expecting that to get real hot real quick. That however, is 100% not our problem as of the time being. We have bigger fish to fry gentleman.

Saddam Hussein has lost his loving mind and decided he wants some new beachfront property in Kuwait. Most of the Navy and USMC are steaming for the Persian Gulf in preparation for giving him the mother of all poo poo-kickings, but we're going to get the first bite of that apple from our cozy spot here in the med. Washington is putting a priority on making this a cooperative international effort, so as of right now we are hands-off the poo poo storm brewing on our doorstep to avoid alienating any of our partners in the gulf states.

Devil 1 flight - 4 x F/A-18C Lot 20

Devil 1-1: Jarmak
Devil 1-2: Andupor
Devil 1-3: Pvt GetSum
Devil 1-4: Vegans

TASK:

While the bulk of our forces are busy getting staged in the gulf we are going to conduct a preparatory strike to hobble Iraq's WMD production capabilities. Intel has identified a factory complex, BAKE SHOP, on the western border of Iraq that is being used to produce uranium yellowcake. We will be conducting a long distance strike against this target overflying Israeli airspace. Things between Israel and Syria have been increasingly spicy as of late, but I say again, we are not in that fight. We will defend ourselves if attacked, to include air defense installations, but our target on this operation is Iraq.

Mission success criteria is destruction of both identified yellowcake production facilities without damage to the storage facilities to the south. BIRTHDAY BOY will be the code word to announce mission success.

In game Start Time: 0600
METAR: Expected CASE I Launch and Recovery
Bullseye: TBD
Launch/Recovery: CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt, TCN 69X, ICLS Ch. 9

COMMS:
Devil 1 Flight - MIDS 1 (/ 139.000 AM radio 2 during start up until all Devils are on MIDS 1)
Devil 1-1 Element MIDS 11
Devil 1-2 Element MIDS 12

CAG: Love Boat <FRQ as fragged> - Radio 2
F14 CAP: Ford 1 122.000 AM - Radio 1
IAF Air Battle Manager: Slingshot 261.000 AM - Radio 2
IAF Strike Commander: Matzo Maker 262.000 AM - Radio 2
Other flights: per kneeboard - Radio 2

LOADOUT:

2x Mk83 1,000LB GP
1x AGM-88C HARM
2x AIM-9M IR AAM
2x AIM-7MH Semi-active RF AAM
2x FPU-8A Fuel Tank, 330 Gallons

FLIGHT PLAN AND TARGETING:

This is going to be a long-haul mission so fuel management will be critical. We will depart the carrier and head immediately toward our first waypoint at King Hussein Air College, climbing at FPAS best to 35A. We will fly at FPAS-best speed, no lower than .80M, out to the border of western Iraq to an IP ~25NM SW of our target area. From there we will proceed straight north until we are on line with a target run-in of 70°; recommend setting a course line to assist with this. We will make one pass over the target before egressing to the north and back west to King Hussein Air College. We do not have AAR support over Israeli airspace, so expect to be tanking prior to recovery; Israel has given us emergency landing permission at Ramat David in case of a fuel emergency.

Once we hit our IP flight and element lead will be launching a staggered pair of PB HARMs coded for the SA3 we know to be operating in the area. Wingman will keep their HARMS in TOO mode and be prepared to hit any unknown air defenses that may interfere with our mission. Recommended swapping over to self protect mode if you're still carrying it when we begin our attack run. We will use this transition time to get visual on target run-in and verify all SAMs are down/suppressed. Clearance to begin attack run will be given with code word PARTY TIME

As previously stated we will make our attack run on a course line of 70°; this is to avoid damaging chemical storage facilities to the south side of the factory whose destruction would risk a major ecological and humanitarian disaster. Because of our fuel situation we will be doing one pass and out, so set your Mk83s to drop in Qty 2, Mult 1, Int 65. We will descend to 16A between our IP and the turn in to our attack run, with the lead element striking the DMPI stored in WP5, and the trail element striking the DMPI stored in waypoint 6. The general target area BAKE SHOP will be in your flight plan as WP3.

BIRTHDAY BOY will be used to announce successful destruction of both targets

ROE:
Identify all targets before firing. You are fully cleared to engage any Syrian forces that threaten our aircraft or mission, but do not strike targets unnecessary to mission completion. Our goal is to destroy the Iraqi facility with as little involvement as in the Israeli conflict as possible.

MINIMUM ALT: Stay above 14,000ft while prosecuting the attack to avoid AAA and MANPADS

BINGO: 6000

FLIGHT PLAN WAYPOINTS:
Waypoint 1 - Steer Point - 37S BR 43075 82354- FL350
Waypoint 2 - IP - 37S DR 70333 83538 - FL350
Waypoint 3 - TGT BAKE SHOP- 37S DS 99922 22390 - FL160
Waypoint 4 - Steer Point - 37S BR 43075 82354- FL350

DMPIs
Waypoint 5 - TGT BAKE SHOP 1 - As Fragged
Waypoint 6 - TGT BAKE SHOP 2 - As Fragged

CODEWORDS:

PARTY TIME - SAMs in target area have been suppressed and flight is cleared to begin run-in.
BIRTHDAY BOY - Targets successfully destroyed and flight is returning to boat.

ADDITIONAL TASKS:

As fragged

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 9, 2022

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Aluf Yooper,
Think of the sidearm as an improved shrike. We don't have control over what the seeker head locks, and a range of approximately 9nm; however we do get a hud cue to slew the DMT onto the area of the target.
Harrier SEAD will likely be a low level flight into the target, engaging well inside the SAM's envelope with a pop up attack, and mavericks or rockets for non radiating targets

Here's Enfield 1's proposed flight plan:
Enfield 1: 4x Harrier GR7 (DCS: AV8-B NA)

Enfield 1-1: Snapshot
Enfield 1-2: radintorov
Enfield 1-3: Prime
Enfield 1-4: Dark Off

TASK:
Destruction of enemy air defenses NE of Kanaker; SA-6 and SA-2. Possible second SA-2 Battery will be

In game Start Time: 0600
METAR: 270 @ 11 10SM 18000 32C 30.01 (1016.3mb)
Bullseye: N35 00.000 E35 00.000
Launch: HMS invincible, TBD Mhz AM, TCN 74X, NO ICLS
Recovery HMS invincible, TBD Mhz AM, TCN 74X, NO ICLS

THREATS:
Aircraft: Mig-29A, Su-27, Mig-21, Mig-31, Mig-23
SAM: SA-3. SA-6, SA-8, SA-10, SA-11
AAA: ZSU-23-4 Shilka, ZU-23-2 mounted on Ural 375

COMMS:
Enfield 1 Flight: 124.000

Package / Air Battle Manager: Matzo Maker 262.000 AM - Radio 2
A2A Air Battle Manager: SlingShot 261.000 AM - Radio 2

LOADOUT:
Sidewinder, Sidearm, MAV F, Gun, DECM, MAV-F, Sidearm, Sidearm
Exchange of Mavericks for Rockets at pilot's discretion due to cold target lock concerns.

ROE. Self Defense or Visual ID of target.

MINIMUM ALT: Unrestricted

FUEL PLAN:
TBD
BINGO: 2000#

FLIGHT PLAN WAYPOINTS:
Waypoint 0 - HMS Invincible
Waypoint 1 - Marshal, 25,000', Cruise profile
Waypoint 2 - Fence point - Low. DECM on. Near Max Range of SAM systems.
Waypoint 3 - Low. Approximate Sidearm Max Range. Pop up to attack as necessary in elements.
Waypoint 4 - Low. Approximate Position Primary SA-2, 4x SA-6 in vicinity
Waypoint 5 - Low. Approximate Position Secondary SA-2
Waypoint 6 - Egress Waypoint. Divert field Rosh Pina, 5.1 nm south
Waypoint 7 - HMS invincible initial position
Notes: Low - We'll need to terrain mask or stay under the floor of the tracking radars (98' AGL).

ADDITIONAL WAYPOINTS:
None

TARGETING
WP4 - Primary suppression point
WP5 - Secondary Suppression point if required

LASER CODES:
None

ADDITIONAL TASKS
Suppression of pop up defenses if required by Matzo Maker

CONTINGENCIES
Munitions and fuel available at Rosh Pina
Rolling Vertical/Short landings authorized if return weight exceeds 21000'. Communicate intent on Enfield Frequency before starting approach.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Two hours until go-time.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The sun rose like it did every day, a beam f light sliding across the young man's face. With a yawn and a stretch, he woke to greet the day the same way he had for the last 8 months. Today however, would not be like the other days.

An outside observer might call his actions rote or even mechanical, but it was more than that: a ritual, where every button, zip, fold, or shake is filled with intent and purpose. Belt to the third notch, just like that. It was something he trained for - practiced until the movements were as natural as the rising son or setting moon; propagating through the morning like ripples. Before he left, the man slid a wallet into his flight suit pocket, zipping it sealed. He grabbed a folder from the nightstand and set off.

The cockpit seat felt the way it always did, and he knew the controls as well as his own body. Eyes closed, the man went through his checks, arming missiles, preparing for landing. All of it automatic. All of it a ritual to get him out and get him home.

From the ground outside, Senior Airman Mizrahi spoke: "Just remember up there, it's not just about what you are doing it's why you're doing it."

The young man nodded, sitting up bit straighter. He removed the wallet from his pocket, and slid out a photograph, tucking it into a notch in the control panel.

"Why I'm doing it... and who I am doing it for."

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 10, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Prime’s stream:

https://youtu.be/TixFi1COURg

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I hope this last mission has proven why everyone should check in with ABM. I watched the migs that killed Devil from takeoff, and clearly Ford and Devil had no SA on them until it was too late.

So a couple things regarding CAP. I would ask that CAP either stays in a TIGHT formation, within less than a couple miles OR you all stick on 261 so I can break off elements. There were times when I vectored Dodge 2 onto something, but 2-1 was taking the tasking, and they’re 10 miles further than 2-3, and the vector for 2-1 isn’t good for 2-3. It would be better to simply vector 2-3, and either he’s with his wingman, or that flight lead or me vectors a second to help. Dodge 1 is usually pretty good about this, staying together I mean.

The main thing that messed up our strikers was, a flight of 2 enemies would take off. I’d vector CAP onto them instantly, 1 of the 2 would pull off and fight the CAP, the other would fight the strikers. Once CAP is merged with the first guy, it’s tough to pull one out, and vectoring a second CAP element ( which is what I did when I had them) takes time. For strikers who had migs on them for any length of time, this is what happened.

With enemy airbases to close, we either deal with it via plot (bomb their airbases to hell) or doctrine. Doctrine wise, do we need cap to orbit closer? Do we orbit them in a different pattern so they’re always facing the enemy? Do we add more TARCAP and put them tighter to the target? I’m not sure, so I’m fishing for solutions.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mossad and Lamdan has a special opportunity for us, somehow, however they do it, an SA-5 site will be sabotaged. There is a site in Homs, and a second site east of Damascus. Flight Leads I'm thinking the Damascus site, If you have a compelling reason to go for the Homs site please let me know now.

In order to give us some breathing room we're going to do an OCA. We can safely strike two (2) air fields, with potentially a third. I'm leaning towards two. Khalkhalah and Marj Ruhayil are tentative targets. Hitting Damascus Intl is probably beyond our scope right now. Thoughts?

Lastly we need to degrade the 3rd Syrian Armored Division.

Flight Leads!

1. We need your BDA so we can get an idea of how we're doing.

2. For OCA I'm thinking M2K's with Durandals, a pair to each objective airfield. Additionally we'll have a Panther Flight split for add on fun. Colt will go in and target squishy stuff.

3. One of the Panther flights will be tasked for 3AD destruction.

4. Dodge 2 will have to be super-uber CAP. We trust you folks can do well.

5. Enfield - Where are you a good fit? Assisting with OCA? Loitering SEAD? Striking that armor?

Give me your thoughts and I'll get a mission plot together asap.

Great work today folks, it was a tough mission and everyone did awesome.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

So a couple things regarding CAP. I would ask that CAP either stays in a TIGHT formation, within less than a couple miles OR you all stick on 261 so I can break off elements. There were times when I vectored Dodge 2 onto something, but 2-1 was taking the tasking, and they’re 10 miles further than 2-3, and the vector for 2-1 isn’t good for 2-3. It would be better to simply vector 2-3, and either he’s with his wingman, or that flight lead or me vectors a second to help. Dodge 1 is usually pretty good about this, staying together I mean.

Will go more into detail in my full debrief but I'll take the blame for this one -- I intended my flight to close formation on takeoff and stay as a formation from there on, but my throttle got a ghost input and unknowingly slowed me down to something like 77% power while I told the rest of my flight to remain at 95% during the climb. So they blasted past me before I realized my mistake and we never quite got all together before poo poo hit the fan.

In the future we'll try to stay tighter, but in the meantime I'll make sure everyone monitors 261 so you can vector individual planes if necessary.

Yooper posted:

4. Dodge 2 will have to be super-uber CAP. We trust you folks can do well.

We're adding an additional two-ship of F-15s for the next flight, so hopefully you'll have 6 Eagles to boss around. Today we got ~10 kills for zero losses to enemy fire so we're all feeling pretty confident.
Be sure to quote this back at me when we gently caress up and get the entire flight killed

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Yooper posted:

Colt will go in and target squishy stuff.

Sounds good to me. If we can catch aircraft on the ground obviously that's priority #1, but failing that support vehicles, tank farms, etc, plenty of unarmored stuff around an airport to blow up. We'll need to plan in/egress timing to make sure we're supported both by SEAD and CAP.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah, don't take my critique of not staying together that harshly, Dodge 2 had like 8 kills 0 losses? For most of the fights we're seeing, mig21, mig23's, etc, 4 f-15s is overkill, so if we keep everyone with an ear on 261 then it just makes Dodge 2 more deadly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

An element of it was that at least half of those kills were us getting vectored onto Migs trying to get off the ground.

I mean it's still murder if they're already up in the air but at least the ones in the air had a chance to merge and make it an interesting fight.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation déjà vu déjà vu

It's back to our roots, loving up air bases. We need some breathing room, and the only way to get it is to thrash some runways with our Durandals and follow it up with extra ordnance.

Second tasking is hitting the 3rd Syrian Armored Division.

DODGE 1 - Load up with Durandals with a two ship heading to each airbase. Dodge 1 will hit Marj Ruhayyil, Dodge 1.5 will hit Khalkhalah.

COLT 1 - Hit Khalkhalah and wreck anything that isn't bolted down. Equipping a single ship with a Shrike may be prudent.

COLT 2 - Hit Marj Ruhayyil and hit soft targets. Equipping a single ship with a Shrike may be prudent.

PANTHER 3 - You will assist with OCA on Marj Ruhayyil / targets of opportunity in the area.

ENFIELD - You will hunt and identify the 3AD column with ordnance. Upon expending ordnance refit at Rosh Pinat and prosecute additional targets.

PANTHER 1 - You will follow up ENFIELD and strike the 3AD column. With any luck Enfield has lit them up good and you'll have easy hunting.

DODGE - We have 6(!) F-15's, you will operate near CAP ALPHA. The big gently caress off SA-5 east of Damascus should be broken.
PANTHER 2 - You are TARCAP and will operate behind DODGE 2 assisting per Slingshot request.

LAUNCH ORDER - ENFIELD -> DODGE 2 (F-15) -> DODGE 1/1.5 (M2K) -> COLT - > PANTHER

Enfield will stir the hornets nest, Dodge will swat them, and in that lull we'll perform the OCA.

THREATS - Likely SA-6 in the neighborhood. Colt has Shrike's, or we could speak with the British about a Sidearm run, but Enfield has some unique FLIR capability to locate that column.

FLIGHT LEADS - Please discuss and provide feedback.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 13, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I would request that all of Dodge 2 monitor ABM freq and be prepared to split into elements of 2 if I need to put you guys different places.

Panther, stick to the package and don't peel off to engage Dodge 2 targets unless I need you to.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married
Enfield Briefing :britain: - Operation déjà vu déjà vu

Ok chaps, as you likely already know, Snapshot has been recalled to Westminster on urgent business so won't be joining us for the afternoon sortie, I'll be assuming 1 seat for this op.

This morning's outing was a tricky wicket, but our next objective should be a doddle - a good old fashioned convoy hunt, we have rough coordinates and I expect DMT and Mavs will do the rest.

We'll depart the Vince, form up and push in - speed and altitude to be dictated during the mission. Once inland we'll drop to about 3,000 and begin the hunt. We're tip of the spear again so guard up, we have one sidewinder and sidearm each for self-defence, but focus on preservation - the workshop boys already have a bit of a backlog from earlier.

4 Mavericks each for our first pass, priority on anything that can shoot back, then general armour second. Stick to HE in the gun-pods, we won't be strafing while tracks are still active, if needed we'll take a rearm at Rosh Pina.

After ballsing up the hot start this morning I've asked the deck crew to leave the pits cold, but make sure you're pre-aligned, we'll need to be swift off the ramp.

Recovery to the Vince for tea and medals.

God save the Queen.

Here's Enfield 1's proposed flight plan:
Enfield 1: 3x Harrier GR7 (DCS: AV8-B NA)

Enfield 1-1: Prime
Enfield 1-2: radintorov
Enfield 1-3: Dark Off
Enfield 1-4: - vacant -

TASK:
Search and destroy 3rd armoured column.
COMMS:
Enfield 1 Flight: 124.000

Package / Air Battle Manager: Matzo Maker 262.000 AM - Radio 2
A2A Air Battle Manager: SlingShot 261.000 AM - Radio 2

LOADOUT:
Sidewinder, Sidearm, 4x MAV F, Gun (HE only), DECM

ROE. Self Defense or Visual ID of target.

MINIMUM ALT: Unrestricted

FUEL PLAN:
BINGO: 2000#

Request for ABM - if enemy air gets within 20m of us please vector us in the opposite direction, although we always enjoy a good tussle with the enemy, as we have no aerial radar or long range sticks ourselves, we'd much prefer avoiding another walk home.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

4x F-15C Eagle

Element 1:
Dodge 2-2: Alchenar Karrick

Element 2:
Dodge 2-3: Zephirum
Dodge 2-4: Tythas Alchenar

DAY 5 - MORNING DEBRIEFING

Our mission

BARCAP ahead of the target area, protect strike flights from enemy air, respond to intercept orders from Sling Shot as necessary.

What happened

Well first thing that happened was I hosed up the briefing post and put Alchenar in the 2-2 slot despite Karrick being on the sign-up sheet, resulting in 5 pilots showing up for 4 slots. Fortunately Tythas is both a DCS polyglot and an incredibly good sport so he hopped in one of the Tomcats for today.

Second thing I hosed up was my throttle – I had a ghost input that dropped my thrust to 77% while I told the rest of the flight I was flying at 96%, lead them to blast past me and scatter the squadron all over the Golan Heights instead of making a neat formation ahead of our CAP tasking. Never really got cohesive for the rest of the flight.

Despite that, Dodge 2 nonetheless wreaked havoc on enemy air, scoring a total of 9 kills with no losses … to enemy air. Once we split off to rearm, things went haywire pretty fast. 2-2 misplaced his airbrake switch and crashed into the landing lights at Ramat David, 2-1 misjudged the length of Rosh Pina’s runway and rolled off the end, 2-4 did the exact same thing, and 2-3 experienced a crosswind while landing at Ramat, skidded off the runway, and tore off his port wing in the dirt.

It’s been a long summer. :sigh:

Mission kills

wrathcough: 2x MiG-23, 2x MiG-21
Zephirum: 2x MiG-23, 1x MiG-21
Alchenar: 2x MIG-23

What went right

Survivability – I’m exceptionally proud of the fact that this was the first flight in which Dodge 2 took zero losses to enemy fire. It’s a testament not only to our improving skills both in BVR and the merge, but also our situational awareness and communications both internally and to ABM.

Dogfighting – Almost all of our engagements were within visual range due to the tight nature of the theatre, which is not where the Eagle excels but we kicked rear end anyway. Alchenar even got a gun kill on a MiG-23. :hellyeah:

What went wrong

Joining up – Gotta replace my POS throttle, or at the very least pay attention to my thrust.

SEAD – Complicating our entire flight were the SA-5s and SA-6s taking potshots at us during our BARCAP racetrack. This forced us to go defensive at a moment’s notice, putting us out of position and less able to respond to intercept orders. Hopefully we can do a better job knocking out enemy SAMs before moving CAP flights into position.

Landing -- from now on, let's just consider Rosh Pina off limits for the F-15. And maybe we should all practice some touch-and-goes.

Where to improve

Formation flying – Keeping the entire flight together helps everyone involved, especially Sling Shot, so let’s try to stay tighter next time. We’ll also have the entire flight monitor 261 so ABM can task individual elements or planes for intercepts if need be.

Campaign aerial victories
These are inclusive of both Day 3 morning (where the server crashed but the mission canonically took place) and Day 3 evening (which I never got around to writing a debrief for)

wrathcough: 7x MiG-23, 6x MiG-21, 2x Su-17, 2x Mirage 2000, 1x MiG-29, 1x F-16C, 1x Mi-24
Zephirium: 5x MiG-21, 2x MiG-23, 2x H-6, 1x MiG-29
Tythas: 3x MiG-23, 2x MiG-21, 2x F-16C, 1x Mirage 2000, 1x MiG-29
Karrick: 1x MiG-23, 1x MiG-21, 1x F-16C, 1x Su-17
Jae: 3x MiG-23, 1x Su-17
Alchenar: 2x MiG-23
wally: 1x MiG-23

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 13, 2022

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Aluf Yooper,

It appears Mossad has dropped the ball on this. Without any advanced warning from any of our intelligence networks, the Iraqi military has moved its forces into the Kingdom of Jordan. We should expect the Iraqi forces in Jordan to be hostile toward us going forward.

The armored column pictured below was seen moving down Highway 40. At 0700 the Iraqi forces crossed the Iraq-Jordan border at Trebil and have advanced as far as Ruwaished. The Jordanian government is opposed to this action and does not support Saddam moving his army through their territory. The Kingdom of Jordan is considering this an act of aggression and has withdrawn their military units guarding the border with Iraq after a small skirmish between the two nations. This transgression is presumed to be due to Jordan’s refusal to become involved on the Arab side of the ongoing conflict. There is no indication of Saddam's intent and the ultimate objective of the Iraqi military’s push through Jordan is unknown at this time.

It is to be assumed the Iraqi military is making preparations to use Scud missiles and other similar weaponry against our military and our people. Preparations will need to be made to harden military and civilian targets. American assistance against this threat is likely but we have no signs pointing towards when and if that will happen. Caution will likely need to be taken to not turn Jordan into a warzone.

This situation is developing and more intel on the size and makeup of the Iraqi force is still being gathered.

Figure 1. Iraqi Type 69 tank on Highway 40

jzilla fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 13, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

jzilla posted:

Aluf Yooper,

It appears Mossad has dropped the ball on this. Without any advanced warning from any of our intelligence networks, the Iraqi military has moved its forces into the Kingdom of Jordan. We should expect the Iraqi forces in Jordan to be hostile toward us going forward.

Jeez, what kind of neighborhood is this? None of our neighbors like us.

Someone get the US Navy on the phone and see if they can help out. This kind of thing looks to be exactly what they're good at.

Lumme
Mar 2, 2013
Ford 1 Day 5 debrief

Well folks, I can say from my planes wreck that this went pretty well and truly sideways, costing USN way too many airframes.

Mission objective:
Our task was to cover Devil flight from harassment while it bombed Saddams factories to dust.

What happened:
Quite frankly, poo poo went sideways, takeoff was late due to incorrect armament on planes, and lead plane radios were inop part of the mission. And mangnitudes worse, the entire Devil flight, excluding a plane that never took off, got downed by Mig-21:s in confusion over radar contacts and lack of AWACS, and the target was not even destroyed in the bombing. And finally Ford 1-1 was downed in unnecessary fight with Syrian planes and a SA-3.

What to improve:
Where to even start, clearly there has been too heavy reliance on AWACS, interflight communication was lacking, as Devil being under attack came as a surprise, flight lead should stop sucking, and picking fights with unrelated planes. And whever procured these radios should be hauled under the keel.

What succeeded:
Ford 1-2 and 1-3 did manage down planes, and even landed.

Lumme fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 13, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lumme posted:

What to improve:
Where to even start, clearly there has been too hevy reliance on AWACS

I watched the whole debacle unfold, the navy just, specifically, wanted hands off so I was hands off. The solution is to not do that in the future and I would have put Ford on the hostiles before they shot Devil.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lumme posted:

Ford 1 Day 5 debrief

Well folks, I can say from my planes wreck that this went pretty well and truly sideways, costing USN way too many airframes.

Mission objective:
Our task was to cover Devil flight from harassment while it bombed Saddams factories to dust.

What happened:
Quite frankly, poo poo went sideways, takeoff was late due to incorrect armament on planes, and lead plane radios were inop part of the mission. And mangnitudes worse, the entire Devil flight, excluding a plane that never took off, got downed by Mig-21:s in confusion over radar contacts and lack of AWACS, and the target was not even destroyed in the bombing. And finally Ford 1-1 was downed in unnecessary fight with Syrian planes and a SA-3.

What to improve:
Where to even start, clearly there has been too heavy reliance on AWACS, interflight communication was lacking, as Devil being under attack came as a surprise, flight lead should stop sucking, and picking fights with unrelated planes. And whever procured these radios should be hauled under the keel.

What succeeded:
Ford 1-2 and 1-3 did manage down planes, and even landed.

Our biggest issue was that we've never out flown the range of our datalink before so we weren't prepared to deal with that.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Attention Ford and Devil. With Iraqi forces across the border into Jordan we will be assisting in the defense of the kingdom. There are two main objectives for us. Firstly Iraqi aircraft must not be allowed to reach the populated cities of Western Jordan. Integrity of the border itself is not important for this but the urban areas around Amman must be protected. Our other objective is to strike an armored brigade at Ruwaished. Destruction of this brigade is not expected but casualties will slow its advance allowing additional time for follow up strikes.

After our datalink misadventures this morning an E2 will be dispatched inland with its own escort and stationed orbiting Amman.

We will be coordinating with the Israeli ABM for deconfliction and threat vectors.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Aluf Yooper,

Our drones have managed to get excellent shots of the airbases we plan to attack this afternoon. Please disseminate this intelligence among your squadron commanders for their use during the upcoming strike on these targets. Take note that both airbases have an SA-6 along with plentiful AAA. MANPADS should also be expected. The Syrians will likely be more prepared for our strike than in the previous conflict.

Figure 1. Khalkhalah Airbase

Figure 2. Marj Ruhayil Airbase

We also have intel on the Syrian 3rd Armored Division. They are currently moving in convoys and are vulnerable to air attack. Organic anti-air should be expected and as always MANPADS and AAA are all but guaranteed.

Figure 3. Syrian 3rd Armored Divison

While this is more within the purview of Central Command at the moment, we now have more intel on the Iraqi armored forces moving through Jordan. The objective of these units is still unknown, but it is believed they will likely move to pose a threat on Judea and Samaria along with Jerusalem and the rest of Central Israel. The possibility remains that they will link up with Syrian units and their push into the Golan Heights and Galilee. This information is also being forwarded to the United States in hopes that they will intervene against the Iraqis' invasion of Jordan.

Figure 4. Iraqi Armored Forces in Jordan

[Deadseed provided the photos and the very good annotations.]

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

:siren:DAY 5 - AFTERNOON BRIEFING:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQELxA9W-D4

Operation: DEJA VU DEJA VU
1 September 1990, 1200 hours
Ramat David IAF Base
בָּסִיס חֵיל-הַאֲוִויר רָמַת דָּוִד‎

6x F-15C Eagle "Baz"

Element 1:
Dodge 2-2: Alchenar

Element 2:
Dodge 2-3: Jae
Dodge 2-4: Tythas

Element 3:
Dodge 3-1: Zephirum
Dodge 3-2: :goon: Open! :goon:

Same poo poo, different day -- Enfield flight is gonna kick the hornet's nest with their Sidearms, and we're gonna stomp whatever comes flying out. Take off from Ramat, hold at WP2 until the SAMs are silenced, and then racetrack between WP3 and 4 until everything's dead.

Both Dodge 2 and 3 will be under my overall command, but Sling Shot will be tasking elements independently for intercepts. All planes should monitor 261 to respond to tasking orders -- Sling Shot's directives will override mine in the event of a conflict.

Rosh Pina airfield is hereby off-limits for all Dodge 2/3 flights. The runway is too goddamn short for the F-15 -- if you need to rearm, head back to Ramat.

WP1: Ramat David
WP2: CAP hold point
WP3: SE end of BARCAP
WP4: NW end of BARCAP

AERIAL THREAT ASSESSMENT

Y'all have gotten pretty good at killing MiGs by now, keep it up and don't get killed. The airfields being bombed today largely house MiG-21s and 23s, so be prepared for the possibility of MiG-29s tasked out of Damascus once the Syrians realize what's going on.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

All Syrian military aircraft are valid targets, and there are no civilian aircraft expected in the AO. Remember that the use of ECM is prohibited.

ARMAMENT

4x AIM-9M Sidewinder, 4x AIM-7MH Sparrow, 2x fuel tanks.

Dismissed.

Lumme
Mar 2, 2013
Ford 1, Day 5 Afternoon Briefing

So, Saddam seems to be furious at Jordan, so now we have Iraqi bombers and potential escorts inbound, plus tank columns further out. Our mission is to intercept these planes before they reach west of Jordan and its population centers. This time AWACS in the form of an E2 should be close enough that our datalinks won't be useless, and hopefully keep confusion at bay.

Waypoints:
WP1, King Hussein Air College
WP2, Intercept Zone, east of Amman
WP3, Devil 1's attack target, probably won't be used.

Mission brief:
Take off, proceed to WP1, proceed to WP2, which will be at the center of the estimated intercept zone, and meant to keep us from wandering off while we look for the bombers. Once enemy is eliminated or driven back return to carrier through WP1. If requested possibly assist Devil 1 at WP3. Preferably all this without any more of our planes being reduced into burning wrecks.

Armament:
Fuel bags,
2xAIM-54,
4xAIM-7,
2xAIM-9

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Panther 3, Day 5 Afternoon Briefing

Our flight is tasked with an OCA Strike on Marj Ruhayil Airbase, an airfield we struck before at the beginning of the conflict. Looking at the recon photos there's two clear targets: the row of MiG-23s and the Command & Control center. Our objectives can be accomplished in two passes.

Waypoints
WP1: Ramat-David AFB
WP2: Sea of Galilee muster point
WP3: Marj Ruhayil Airbase
WP4: Khalkhalah Airbase (BONUS!!)

Mission Brief
Take off as one of the later flights as we need SEAD to accomplish their task before we enter the AO, and we need to conserve fuel to give us as much as we can use for our attacks and egress. Fly to WP2 and orbit if more time is needed for other flights to get in front and accomplish their tasks/clear the air. Once the AO is clear, fly to WP3, and drop to deck-level when 15nm out. For our passes on the airfield it's critical we spend as little time popped-up over the airfield with so many anti-aircraft weaponry deployed. With hi-drag Mk-82s we can do a very low pass over the line of MiG-23s. Attacking the C&C buildings will require a pop-up for our Mk-84 releases. If we do this quickly enough (within the respawn timer limit), I would suggest flying back to Ramat-David to rearm, and then continue to hit Marj Ruhayil if there's still targets available, otherwise fly to Khalkhalah and attack targets of opportunity there. We may also make ourselves available for CAP, depending on our fuel and the situation in the air.

Armament
No fuel bags :evilbuddy:
5xMk-82 Snakeeyes
2x Mk-84
4x AIM-9M

We're probably not making it back from this one. Goon Speed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Listen up Devil Dogs, briefing inbound.

Devil 1 flight - 4 x F/A-18C Lot 20

Devil 1-1: Jarmak
Devil 1-2: Andupor
Devil 1-3: Pvt GetSum
Devil 1-4: Alcatraz
TASK:

Iraq has launched an invasion into Jordan in retaliation for allowing us use of their airspace for this morning's operation. Intelligence indicates the vanguard has paused in the town of Ruwaished (OBJ PIG PEN) to resupply and stage for an invasion deeper into Jordan. This is our chance to blunt the Iraqi invasion before it reaches far into Jordan, and we're the only ones in the neighborhood.

We will depart mother and head east along the same flight path as this morning. We are the tip of the spear on this one so we're going to have to fend for ourselves. Ford 1 is launching ahead of us to intercept Iraqi bombers, so we're hoping that will give us some degree of screening from enemy fighters, but be ready to fight to the target. There's an SA-6 sighted IVO PIG PEN, so our lead element will be taking HARMs instead of a third Sparrow to clear the way in. We'll orbit at OBJ PIG PEN at 30A and make attack runs in pairs until our ordinance is spent or the Iraqi Air Force shows up and head back to the boat.

We're going to have our jimmies hanging way the gently caress out there with this so we're only trying to do enough damage to slow them down long enough for defenses to get organized. Our focus is to degrade enemy armor enough they can't use it to blitz into eastern Jordan.

In game Start Time: 1200
METAR: Expected CASE I Launch and Recovery
Bullseye: TBD
Launch/Recovery: CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt, TCN 69X, ICLS Ch. 1

COMMS:
Devil 1 Flight - MIDS 1 (/ 139.000 AM radio 2 during start up until all Devils are on MIDS 1)
Devil 1-1 Element MIDS 11
Devil 1-2 Element MIDS 12

USN Common: 263.000 AM - Radio 2
F14 CAP: Ford 1 122.000 AM - Radio 2
IAF Air Battle Manager: Slingshot 261.000 AM - Radio 1
IAF Strike Commander: Matzo Maker 262.000 AM - Radio 1

LOADOUT:

Devil 1-1, 1-2
2x AGM-65F
1x AGM-88C
2x AIM-9M IR AAM
2x AIM-7MH Semi-active RF AAM

Devil 1-3, 1-4
2x AGM-65F
2x AIM-9M IR AAM
3x AIM-7MH Semi-active RF AAM

This is still going to be a pretty long haul, so fuel management will still be given how much we may burn if we meet resistance. We will depart the carrier and head immediately toward our first waypoint at King Hussein Air College, climbing at FPAS best to 35A. We will then fly direct to PIG PEN and settle into an orbit at 30A; that SA-6 shouldn't be able to reach us at that altitude so lead element will clear it out with HARMs on the way in. Code word BARN DOOR will be signal that it is safe to break the 30A hard deck.

We decrease our altitude until able to identify targets and begin our attack runs two at a time with the other element pulls over watch. Recommend lead in the overwatch element watch the target to call out missiles/ground fire, while the wingman keep an eye on the A2A radar/SA page to make sure nothing sneaks up on us.

Latest intel shows what appears to be an Iraqi armor company and motor rifle company staging and refueling amongst civilian structures at OBJ PIG PEN. There are at least 3x Bofors and 1x ZSU23 know to be operating at the objective, along with probably MANPADS, use extreme caution if descending below 12A while on your attack run.

After prosecuting our attack we'll return to the boat back the same way we came in.

The Jordanians have granted us permission to divert to King Hussein Air College in the event of an emergency.

ROE:
Identify all targets before firing.

MINIMUM ALT: Hard deck over PIG PEN is 30A until BARN DOOR call is made, if possible stay above 12A while prosecuting attacks to avoid AAA and MANPADS

BINGO: 6000

FLIGHT PLAN WAYPOINTS:
Waypoint 1 - Steer Point - King Hussein Air College
Waypoint 2 - TGT - OBJ PIG PEN
Waypoint 3 - Ramat David Airfield

CODEWORDS:

BARN DOOR - SAMs in target area have been suppressed and flight is cleared descend below 30A

ADDITIONAL TASKS:

As fragged

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 17, 2022

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gently caress SNEEP posted:

We're probably not making it back from this one. Goon Speed.

Sounds like the usual goon mission flow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anybody streaming this today?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Prime streaming here: https://youtu.be/jlpOBZUxrk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!