Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

piL posted:

When DCS lets me drive a fully functional Arleigh Burke, I'll sign up to fly a boat. Until the Godspeed dearest goons o7.

Sadly, I'd lie if I'd say the simulation is great. The ships fight with their weapons, use their CIWS and such, but a human can't interact with much. You can issue very basic orders to ship groups, but nothing specifically well modeled for ships. It'd be awesome, and one day perhaps. It is "the goal" of Eagle Dynamics, but their goals are often empty babble.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

IAF 101st PANTHER 2 flight lead "SNEEP" reporting in! Here in Israel we will be representing Israel's first fighter squadron. We will be flying F-16Cs and will be primarily tasked with strike missions. As this campaign takes place over 20 years before the Georgian War one, we have some limitations to our armament and functionalities which should lead to very different strategies than last time. Namely, we do not have our targeting pod, which gave us a very nice zoom camera AND laser, and we also do not have any smart weapons. Dumb dumbs only, except Mavericks, they're kinda smart, and we have those!

The main strategy for us is to fly at full burner, nap of the earth, to drop dumb bombs on targets in one pass before they have time to react. This means we need to accurately plan our flight paths before hand, and we need precise intel on where we're striking. This is going to be super dangerous as we will be vulnerable to AAA and Iglas. Speed is our god now!

We may be tasked with anti-armor strikes as we have Mavericks which makes us the most capable to destroy them over any of the other airframes we are flying with. While a Mk-82 can destroy a tank, you need to drop it right down their hatch from the top which is difficult and dangerous. I've only managed to do it once!

We will also be limited to only having AIM-9s, but those are missiles we are already familiar with so it should not be too big of an issue. It's important to remember these version of the AIM-9 we have (L, M) are terrible at high aspect launches. If you're in a turn fight with them you will not be able to hit them with one!

Looking forward to flying this campaign!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vahakyla posted:

pretty pictures

Sadly, I'd lie if I'd say the simulation is great. The ships fight with their weapons, use their CIWS and such, but human can't interact with much. You can issue very basic orders to ship groups and such, but nothing specifically well modeled for ships. It'd be awesome, and one day perhaps. It is "the goal" of Eagle Dynamics, but their goals are often empty babble.

I imagine it's a very difficult goal to align--some people will want to directly drive by conning commands or even some sort of digital helm (which would be counter to how ship driving actually works). Some people will want a Combat-Information-Center version, which would be completely different in operation.

It did make me think though--does DCS support crews? Do people ride around and drop sonobuoys or navigate?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Aluf Yooper,

Sir, I believe we met briefly at the liaisons meet and greet a few days ago, and I have since been busily integrating into your Northern Command Corps-equivalent headquarters. I have enjoyed working with your targeteers, intel analysts, and the Wing liaisons. I have also introduced the CAW liaison to your team as well.

My initial task was to assist in building training plans and live fire events for the newly acquired Corps M270 Multiple Launch Rocket Systems, Callsign “Earthquake,” as well as serving as a liaison to your Corps targeting team. My chain of command has conferred with DOS and have authorized me to serve as an advisor in conducting corps artillery command and control, targeting, and planning. I will also assist in the standup of an ad hoc Battlefield Coordination Element, an AirLand integration element we first executed in combat last year in Panama. I can thus assist with operationalizing the new MLRS units, enabling corps operations as opposed to the capable but shorter ranged tube artillery units filling out your brigades.

I am committed to the AirLand Battle doctrine that the corps is the principal echelon for fighting campaigns at the operational level. The corps is also the focal point for the distribution of any air power which has been allocated in support of land operations. The air and land components will work together to violently apply lethal fires in accordance with the law of war and established ROE and will always operate as a single entity in the spirit of the offense, even when supporting the defense.

Based on your instructions, and the ground commander’s role as the supported commander and air component’s role as the supporting commander, I recommend the following prioritized Essential Fire Support Tasks:

1. Provide planned DEAD and SEAD using joint fires in support of integrated air defense system (IADS) defeat IAW Air Tasking Order (ATO) in order to support windows of regional air superiority.
2. Destroy enemy critical functions IAW Time Sensitive Target (TST) Matrix and High Payoff Target List (HPTL). The HPTL is in staffing but so far includes, by priority: Long Range Artillery, SHORAD, Corps/Div C2, Electronic Warfare systems, Sustainment, and Engineering
3. Counter Fire and Counter Strike IOT neutralize enemy Long Range Fires
4. Reinforce Division Fires against enemy in order to increase operational tempo
5. o/o suppress critical choke points in order to disrupt enemy ability to move south or west
6. Provide SEAD fires ISO Corps-retained aviation conducting deep attack.

I must note that legally speaking, I command no one in country other than myself and SFC Greunke, and I do not nominate targets. I serve as an advisor assisting your staff in enabling options for yourself and in general support of your division commanders. This sets me free to generate options for you, as I can advise you all day on how to strike targets that those USN aviators will not strike either due to being risk-averse or politically restricted.

Very Respectfully,
Muhlump
MAJ, FA
CJ-33, USEUCOM
Field Artillery Liaison to:
Israeli Northern Command

1st Platoon, A BTRY, "Earthquake" Battalion, Northern Command Corps Artillery conducts live fire exercise, demonstrating ability to rapidly deploy, shoot, move, and communicate. This training demonstrates their ability to rapidly and violently apply lethal fires whenever required and to ensure regional stability.

Airspace control measures are critical to integrating air and land fires while maintaining responsive application of lethal fires. Photo taken from a Canberra.

A BTRY, "Earthquake" Battalion, demonstrates its ability to strike Corps targets, such as this mockup SAM site. Strikes such as these can kick in the door for the air component or army attack aviation to engage in deep attack, a critical component of both the offense and the defense.

I didn't have any time to unpack my cassette organizer since landing in Israel, so the couple that I snagged out of my case are a hodgepodge I threw together for his AIWA HS-PX303 personal cassette player before deploying to Europe and then being redirected to Israel. SFC Greunke is out acquiring a boombox.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5tkWRnkniyj5oDieQSjEyV?si=0de259bd81d742f6

I'm probably too lazy, but maybe eventually I'll make a maintenance bay mix vs fire mission mix

Spoilered below is how it probably works in the sim, so I don’t get a bunch of questions in character
Unless the server hates it, I will have control of MLRS for limited strikes during missions (~1-2 batteries per mission, 2 platoons of 3x and an ammo truck per battery. Plus force protection/SHORAD). The best use will be pre-planned targets within ~32 km of my launchers. Platoons will relocate after fire missions for survivability so if the RNG gods decide I missed, well, it might be a few to several minutes before more rockets are available.

Pending master game runner approval, my concept is: If a briefing says the enemy SAM will either be at Grid A or Grid B, and pilots confirm Grid A is hot and Gird B is not, I can shoot at Grid A. If pilots are told the enemy is vicinity of a crossroad, and they can give a decent callout that the target is just off the crossroads to the southeast, probably effective. If some pilot says they see missiles and trees and want my rockets to solve their problem, sorry buddy.

I intend to use the M270s, because that’s what Israel has, but I may have to sub in another unit if the M270 causes server problems. Fortunately, the unit to be subbed in is one that the Soviet Union kind of left lying around in a bunch of countries, including entire captured batteries. These things do not do anything to tanks

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 17, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The 103 IAF Elephant Squadron's C-130s.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

piL posted:

It did make me think though--does DCS support crews? Do people ride around and drop sonobuoys or navigate?

There’s not a big amount of human multiplayer multicrew yet. The F-14 has two people in it. The backseater navigates and uses the weapons, while front seater flies.

The helicopters can have humans in them, but DCS has no official large airplane module either, such as C-130 or P-3.

The C-130 you see here is a mod, but while it is very good, it offers only limited multicrew options. Luckily the mod team for C-130 is going to be making it into an official mod, ED got them aboard.

F-15E is in the making, and it will have backseater WSO/Navigator.

There’s air traffic control, and air battle management players who run radar stations, and play the game that way, though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Based on your instructions, and the ground commander’s role as the supported commander and air component’s role as the supporting commander, I recommend the following prioritized Essential Fire Support Tasks:

1. Provide planned DEAD and SEAD using joint fires in support of integrated air defense system (IADS) defeat IAW Air Tasking Order (ATO) in order to support windows of regional air superiority.
2. Destroy enemy critical functions IAW Time Sensitive Target (TST) Matrix and High Payoff Target List (HPTL). The HPTL is in staffing but so far includes, by priority: Long Range Artillery, SHORAD, Corps/Div C2, Electronic Warfare systems, Sustainment, and Engineering
3. Counter Fire and Counter Strike IOT neutralize enemy Long Range Fires
4. Reinforce Division Fires against enemy in order to increase operational tempo
5. o/o suppress critical choke points in order to disrupt enemy ability to move south or west
6. Provide SEAD fires ISO Corps-retained aviation conducting deep attack.

I must note that legally speaking, I command no one in country other than myself and SFC Greunke, and I do not nominate targets. I serve as an advisor assisting your staff in enabling options for yourself and in general support of your division commanders. This sets me free to generate options for you, as I can advise you all day on how to strike targets that those USN aviators will not strike either due to being risk-averse or politically restricted.

Very Respectfully,
Muhlump
MAJ, FA
CJ-33, USEUCOM
Field Artillery Liaison to:
Israeli Northern Command

This is exceptional, thank you! I absolutely see this as integral to removing SAM threats from the near engagement zone. We'll coordinate more later once I've had a chance to firm up battle plans.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

“Devil 1”, US Marine Corps
VMFA-232 Red Devils
F-18C x4

Alright Devil Dogs listen up. We're entering the eastern Mediterranean as we speak and will be remaining in this general AO for at least the next month as we conduct port call and training ops with our Israeli allies. The Navy may think this is a loving pleasure cruise but I want our poo poo locked up tight at all times. Make no mistake gentleman, bad poo poo is going down in Lebanon and when that fight breaks out, and it will, it will be the Marines that will be called upon to apply boot to rear end in the name of Uncle Sam.

So leave the volleyball to the loving squids and get yourself ready to fight. I better not see any of you fucks with scores on the board lower than our happy-go-lucky hosts or you'll be flying loving CASE Is till your eyes bleed. Take this time to get squared away on your CASE Is, AAR, weapons employment, and general airmanship. There will be upcoming announcements regarding scheduled training operations, and I am available for help or questions with your aircraft as needed. Our element lead Snax is a crusty old gently caress as well so you new guys pay attention to what he says and learn from him.

Remember that while this here Marine Aviation unit is the deadliest group of motherfuckers this side of Camp Lejeune, we are not here to die in someone else's war. Nothing is going to turn this cruise into a upside-down poo poo-sandwich faster than flag-draped coffins on CNN. We will help our allies and will will kick some some rear end but your first and foremost responsibility is bringing the man next to you back to the boat safe, and bringing your own sorry rear end back to the boat safe, in that order.

Also I sincerely hope I don't have to remind you fuckers but this:

Elendil004 posted:

Mustaches shall not: Go below a horizontal line extending across the corner of the mouth as indicated by line "B". Extend more than 1/4 inch beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corners of the mouth as indicated by line "C". Protrude below the lip line of the upper lip as indicated by line "D".

Late sleeper chit provided by the CVN 71 Goat Locker. (I'll buy the winner a custom title).

Is a loving no-go. The Navy may tell you where to fly while you're in the air but your rear end belongs to the Corps. I catch anyone sporting a loving womb broom I'll personally see to it they spend the upcoming liberty using it to scrub latrines. Fresh shave and fresh haircuts to the Corps standards at all times.

Yooper posted:

CMDR Yooper Here, I'll be the Northern Command Aluf for this campaign. I'll work with the flight leads for mission tasking, direct ground units, and hopefully keep us out of the weeds.

A few tasks for everyone in this lead up period.

1. Flight Leads : Can you please inform us (:justpost:) of the capabilities of your aircraft circa 1990. Effective engagement ranges, ordnance, and an overall feel for how you will work. SlingShot (Elendil) and MatzoMaker (me) don't want to assume you can do something you can't.
2. Pilots : Practice with your aircraft. I know this sounds silly, but without precision munitions this will be an entirely different world. If you're A2A, get good with SARH or IR missiles. Winging missiles half a continent away is no longer a thing. A2G, pickle iron bombs and cluster munitions till you're comfortable with literally dropping the bomb into a pickle barrel. Then do it while evading AAA.
3. SEAD : Learn that Shrike! If we can't knock out Syrian air defenses then everything above will be for naught.

Going into this I'm assuming we'll be, at least, half as effective on our missions. Doing the core tasks well will define our success on these missions. Our AO is tight, you'll be wheels up and on target in under 5 minutes for the initial sorties. Let that sink in. In 3 minutes you may be inside of SAM range.

I'm hoping to add some new flight planning tools to keep this all buttery smooth.

As a Marine aviation squadron VMFA-232 specializes in providing CAS and BAI, as well as generally turning piles of dirt into smaller piles of dirt. That said, we are trained, willing, and able to defend the fleet against aerial threats should the need arise. We have access to the latest PGMs in the United States arsenal including laser-guided bombs, laser and IR-guided Mavericks, and AGM-88 HARMs. We do not, however, have the ability to self-lase targets for these munitions so any employment will require ground support. Additionally I imagine you're going to have to make a pretty good business case to the boys upstairs if you want us to take any of the shiny new toys out of the box.

Oorah motherfuckers.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 17, 2022

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Taskforce 69's pilots have been hard at work learning the A-4E and the C-130 Hercules. Things have not gone perfectly...
https://i.imgur.com/xMpJnOp.mp4

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Needs blue angels livery for both of those tbh

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Flight leads, planners, ops folks. We'll be having a confidential strategy session in the coming days. (ooc : In this thread.)

I need you to put your thinking kippahs on. Relevant tasking will include Offensive Counter Air after a deep infiltration of Syrian air space. So I'll need to know what sort of legs your flight has, how capable it is at navigation, and how close to the earth it can fly. Oh, and at night. The Syrians enjoy a 5:1 superiority in aircraft, we need to pare that down to a manageable level.

For some inspiration check out Operation Focus, 1967.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Convergence needs to open with a bang. A real smash 'em up. Here are some basic facts. Operation Focus departed with 188 strike aircraft and disabled 18 airfields by noon, destroying 450 hostile aircraft. These flights launched, fought, re-armed, and did that twice more.

1. We are outnumbered 5:1 in the sky. Yes, some of these are MIG-21 and MIG-23's, but at those ratios it doesn't matter.
2. The enemy has a dense and fairly competent ADA network.
3. Our Merkava tanks are the best defensive tanks in the world. Syria has T-55's and T-72's.
4. Our C2 network is top notch, our opponents C2 system is built on crony'ism, patrimony, and corruption.
5. Our first days operation will catch the enemy less aware. Not unaware, but unsuspecting.

At Point #1 there is a Syrian air radar, SA-6, and anti-ship missiles. Driving north to strike Damascus from the sea would involve a far trip out, and back again. I'm not sure it's a good venue yet.

At #2 and #3 are two SA-6's, the hashed green area is visiblity from those points. They've got good coverage up to the border. But I don't expect them to be live and scanning without good reason.

Points 1 & 2 are search radar, Spoon Rest. Those will likely be scanning. Point #1 is surrounded by SAM's, but #2 is a bit more open...

For our Offensive Counter Air we need to make a dent in the Syrian ability to respond to our incursions.

275 nm flight path. 55 minutes in the air. Ground level, tight, until excursion. Threats include SA-2, SA-3, and SA-6. Once we cross the border we've got a long flight north that we are absolutely in the radar.

175nm Flight Path. 35 minutes in the air. Ground level until the border. SEAD is absofuckinglutely critical. We need to wipe out at least 4 SA-6 sites and dodge around SA-2/SA-3. Goal is still Marj Ruhayyil AB and Khalkhalah AB.

297nm flight path. 1:00 in the air. Going through the Beqaa Valley offers a unique fence in. We skirt in using the terrain, turn hard south, and then strike Al Dumayr, Khalkhalh, and exit striking a Spoon Rest before returning via Jordan.

251nm flight path. 50 minutes in the air. A hybrid op that needs to thwack an SA-3 south of Thalah AB, strike a Spoon Rest, then boogie north to hit Khal and Marj before returning by the same route.

Issues

How many SAM sites can we reasonably engage? I'd rather have a minimum and use extra shrikes on the way back to punch holes.
How far can the element of surprise take us? If we strike those two airbases the only thing that can pursue us will have to come out of Damascus.
SA-2's have a lovely target floor, but SA-3's will prove an issue.
How much ordnance can we carry that far into Syria?

After the Strike

If our first day is OCA we can expect the staged Syrian armor to advance on the Golan Heights once news of our strike is out. I'm confident our Merkava's can go hull down and defend while we re-arm. Once the Syrians have crossed into the Golan Heights our next phase will be striking C2, logistics, and wiping out border SAM's with Shrikes or MLRS's. Tank busting will be secondary as our Merkava's will likely be more competent. We'll strike juicy targets and take advantage of the fact that they are overextended.

Pilots, please give me your thoughts. I personally like Operation Shortcut Sabbath, but I'm open to modifications or new routes. Our trip through Jordan is probably a one time go as I don't think they'd forgive it twice.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Can the US artillery neutralize any of those sites if we deploy them far forward?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

From an escort perspective, Hummus Smash looks risky as hell. The fact that we'll be at ground level the whole way in means we'll be relying on pop-up attacks to schwack enemy fighters, but with Sparrows we'll need to be nose-up for the missile's entire flight. It'll be exceedingly difficult, even with ABM guidance, to time those launches precisely enough so we can guide in our missiles without poking our heads up too much or letting bandits get dangerously close to the strike package.

Baseball Bashar
looks like the overall safest option, but I worry about fuel for the A-4s and F-16s. It does give us a lot more flexibility in our pop-up attacks though, and even lets us get into a pretty good overwatch position for the attacks on the airfields where the SAM coverage is relatively sparse.

Overall I think that Shortcut Shabbat or Sneaky Border are probably the best options. Once the Spoon Rest and SA-3 are dead, we can loiter for a while while the strike flights work over the target airfields, and exfiltrating the same way we came in means the SEAD flights don't have to be as stingy with their ordnance while clearing the way for our incursion.

I'll defer to the SEAD and strike flights on their decision though -- they're the ones taking the most risk and we have plenty of fuel and ordnance to guide you in no matter which route you choose.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

quote:

28 May 1990
To: Aisha Ghazi

Address: 10 Libnan St, Ramallah

مرحبا

Sister, it's been a while. I just got to my new base, the Ramat David Air Base, near Haifa. I'm excited to fly here. I just found out I will be the executive officer for the 101 Squadron. It's like the deputy, or someone who helps the commander. I just took a few weeks of leave and traveled around, I had a great time in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Haifa. I took a bunch of pictures, too. I think I will have to work a lot at the Squadron because there's something going on but I think in about two weeks I should be able to take another holiday to come see you for a week.

I have asked this lady in Haifa to go out with me. I have a date with her tomorrow evening. I can't wait!

The pool near the house I have at Ramat David is really nice.

And haha, look at me at this underwear store. It's crazy what is shown elsewhere.

I was recently on TV about a flight I did a while ago. My hair looks great in it!

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. I hope the checkpoints between Ramallah and Jerusalem are soon gone. I want you to be able to travel freely and come see me, I am so tired of this.
You can drive my new car. A Rav Segen gets paid a lot!

I bought you a cassette player. I couldn't find batteries but go buy as many as you want, I'm depositing lots of money for you.

I also made you bunch of cassettes, check them out:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1CXZV8iIboDT10r9qBJM7m?si=3f3efa2b8e54491f

Please write back soon.
Yours,

Ahmad Ghazi

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 18, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Snapshot posted:

Can the US artillery neutralize any of those sites if we deploy them far forward?

This is the overlay (yellow) of the MLRS range. Ideally they could take out one site in the north, or a pair in the south.

If we disable a single site in the north with the MLRS it gives us a corridor east with a single SA-6 site for the SEAD to strike inbound with a 2nd SA-6 site south of Damascus. 193 nm total flight length, 38 minutes. In addition there are some SA-3 sites that would need cleaning up. But we'll have those regardless. We'll call this one Operation Snappy Snapshot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yooper posted:

This is the overlay (yellow) of the MLRS range. Ideally they could take out one site in the north, or a pair in the south.

If we disable a single site in the north with the MLRS it gives us a corridor east with a single SA-6 site for the SEAD to strike inbound with a 2nd SA-6 site south of Damascus. 193 nm total flight length, 38 minutes. In addition there are some SA-3 sites that would need cleaning up. But we'll have those regardless. We'll call this one Operation Snappy Snapshot.

Sir, I have been impressed when watching the newly formed Israeli Northern Command* "Earthquake" Battalion performing maneuver exercises and a live fire event over the last 48 hours. They demonstrated proficiency out to the advertised maximum range of around 32 km, firing rockets down range only 3 to 4 minutes after receiving a fire mission. That's about 17 NM for your aviators who can fly around, but can't read a map of the base. I am confident in their ability to shoot and relocate to conduct additional fire missions in a manner that survive any counter-fire. Their main threat would be any breakthrough ground forces or enemy air forces, which could force them to retire to safety, which could remove them from firing range.

Each fire platoon has a minimum of two fire missions in them before they need to conduct a reload** and they can maneuver independently. They just require either a slice of the Corps security force or the local division to provide force protection. They're squishy and have no direct fire capability, unlike your paladins. As long as the terrain is generally clear and enemy threats are not a factor, the platoons*** have been able to maneuver around at roughly 35 kph (~22mph) on good roads and 20 kph off-road, so security situation permitting, they can relocate to conduct follow-on fire SEAD/DEAD missions significantly out of position from where they started, if we are looking at an operation of 60-90 minutes.

I recommend using the MLRS early and often if you must defend yourselves. It is a new capability which is uniquely suited in aligning air and land objectives, opening doors for air forces to continue the SEAD/DEAD fight and escort fight in a deep attack mission. I recommend that, as usual, we NEVER leave artillery in reserve. The MLRS should operate as close to the FLOT as it safely can to increase its ability to strike enemy critical enemy capabilities IAW the EFSTs and HPTL. If all goes well, the Earthquake Battalion will never be more critical than in the opening phases of the war. As we work through the EFSTs, its role will become one of reinforcing divisions versus critical shaping of the operational fight.

One fire mission, on good grids, will destroy a static SAM site with high confidence. If we have solid grids and safe locations from which to fire, we can wipe multiple SAMs faster than the jets can launch and assemble with only a single battery. In the event that the enemy is caught unaware and leaving their SA-2/3/6 SAMs at known positions right now, we should maximize day zero targeting and destruction before the enemy has a chance to relocate, disperse, camouflage, and set up decoys. This should be done even if the fires are not strictly required to enable the air component, as the enemy will surely attempt to increase survivability once they assess that your forces have committed to rolling back their IADS. If there is uncertainty about enemy field vs garrison locations, I recommend that your fires cell and intel folks work together to build out preplanned targets. For example: Garrison location for if the SAM does not field deploy, and then any known field operating areas where they may disperse to in combat to improve survivability. If pilots, intelligence assets, open source reports, etc, can confirm which field site the SAM has deployed to, we can fire with high confidence of destroying or neutralizing that site. If we just get a call that the pilots see smoke trails on the horizon and don't have grids, well... not much your Earthquake assets can do you for you there.****

Notes for readers, etc:
*These artillery are Israeli, not US Forces. I just happen to be a liaison officer who has been granted some leeway in providing military advice, but the operators and shooters and target approval, etc, are being done by Israeli Soldiers and leaders.

**In DCS, the MLRS reloads are too fast, but I intend to play it a bit more realistic and have them out of position for several minutes while they reload. A realistic reload time for a decent crew is about 8 minutes for a full reload, not counting the time to drive to the reload hide sight. I do not think volume of fire will be the limiting factor, but instead some sort of mission constraint such as lack of accurate targeting data, some sort of ammunition limitation, or simply being told that spamming artillery nonstop is boring for airplanes.

***3 MLRS and a support vehicle = 1 Platoon. 2 Platoons = 1 Battery. 2 Batteries = 1 Battalion. I have been saying ITT that a battalion is available, but for mission designer purposes, if they only want a battery or a platoon or whatever available, let me know; the rest of the battalion will be supporting Other Corps Stuff or be tasked in general support of a division for the duration of the operation, and unavailable to the Corps Long-Range Artillery. I am not simulating the radar platoon, ammo platoon, HQs, etc. Ammo platoon may be soft-simulated if mission planners and/or I place down a set ammunition supply point or transfer point at which the MLRS platoons must arrive in order to conduct reload.

**** If I don't have an actual target and a fire mission from Yooper or Bulldozer, I will not just be sending rockets downrange pointlessly. Target mensuration is not really possible for pilots in the air with the tools they have, so I've talked through with a couple designers ways to get after that in a way that is not easy-mode cheating, but is also not just me repeatedly saying "grids no good, sorry" and refusing to fire or firing and missing pointlessly repeatedly.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I recommend using the MLRS early and often if you must defend yourselves. It is a new capability which is uniquely suited in aligning air and land objectives, opening doors for air forces to continue the SEAD/DEAD fight and escort fight in a deep attack mission. I recommend that, as usual, we NEVER leave artillery in reserve. The MLRS should operate as close to the FLOT as it safely can to increase its ability to strike enemy critical enemy capabilities IAW the EFSTs and HPTL. If all goes well, the Earthquake Battalion will never be more critical than in the opening phases of the war. As we work through the EFSTs, its role will become one of reinforcing divisions versus critical shaping of the operational fight.

Yellow lines are 17nm ranges from current staging areas. We can just reach the nearest SA-6 sites. At a bare minimum I'd like to have those get some MLRS love.

If our armored units can cross the DMZ and occupy defensive positions east of Highway 98 it will allow the MLRS system to have quick traverse up-and-down that highway for quick fire support. If that happens we can squish the nearest SA-6's and even some of the further back sites. Ideally our strike coincides with an armored push to that border. Our second strikes of Day 1 (ooc : Week 2) will be direct support of this advance.

That is looking east from where I'd like to see our tanks defend from. To a tanker there are few finer vistas, this is what Merkava's were designed for. Any Syrian armor that has to push forward through that open front will be under direct fire from a multitude of Merkava's for a loooong way. Our tanks need to advance no more than 20 miles to assume defensive positions. Ideally as we are returning from our strikes they are just settling in.

Tell Earthquake to get some rest now, once we begin these folks are going to be damned busy.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yooper posted:

[...]

Issues

How many SAM sites can we reasonably engage? I'd rather have a minimum and use extra shrikes on the way back to punch holes.
How far can the element of surprise take us? If we strike those two airbases the only thing that can pursue us will have to come out of Damascus.
SA-2's have a lovely target floor, but SA-3's will prove an issue.
How much ordnance can we carry that far into Syria?

-Each A-4 can carry at most 4 Shrikes, plus a centerline MER/TER of ordinance and, should it come to it, 2 20mm cannons. The Shrike can be considered to have an effective range of ~8nm and just about anything we can carry on the centerline can mop up a suppressed site. Carrying 4 Shrikes will deny us the ability to carry Sidewinders for self-defense.
-Assuming interceptors on alert and scrambled as soon as we are detected, I would guesstimate between 5 to 15 minutes between detection and interception, depending on how far we are from the host airfield. If the enemy already have aircraft patrolling we might only have a few minutes between detection and being engaged.
-The SA-3 has a minimum engagement altitude of ~700ft. However, the SA-6 has a minimum floor of 100ft, though in practice its ability to reliably track and engage is degraded below ~400. I lack hard altitudes for the minimums of the SA-2 and SA-5 but it would not be unreasonable to assume they are at worst similar to the SA-3. The primary threats to our low level ingress and attack would be the SA-8, -9 and ZSU-23-4 Shilka AAA; all are short ranged, but have no meaningful other limit outside of line of sight.
-On combat radius versus payload:

As this table shows, with the heaviest bombload our radius would only be sufficient for Hummus SMASH and Snappy SNAPSHOT and would require high altitude ingress and egress, which would expose us to much more of the air defense network. Taking two drop tanks guarantees we have sufficient fuel for any profile and flight plan combination as well as loiter time if desired, but means we can only take 2 Shrikes. We can elect to take a single centerline tank, which should give enough range to allow for a free choice of flight plans. If we need to fly far and low then we can take two wing tanks and hopefully offset the loss of Shrikes by sneaking around SAMs rather than busting through them.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

-Each A-4 can carry at most 4 Shrikes, plus a centerline MER/TER of ordinance and, should it come to it, 2 20mm cannons. The Shrike can be considered to have an effective range of ~8nm and just about anything we can carry on the centerline can mop up a suppressed site. Carrying 4 Shrikes will deny us the ability to carry Sidewinders for self-defense.
-Assuming interceptors on alert and scrambled as soon as we are detected, I would guesstimate between 5 to 15 minutes between detection and interception, depending on how far we are from the host airfield. If the enemy already have aircraft patrolling we might only have a few minutes between detection and being engaged.
-The SA-3 has a minimum engagement altitude of ~700ft. However, the SA-6 has a minimum floor of 100ft, though in practice its ability to reliably track and engage is degraded below ~400. I lack hard altitudes for the minimums of the SA-2 and SA-5 but it would not be unreasonable to assume they are at worst similar to the SA-3. The primary threats to our low level ingress and attack would be the SA-8, -9 and ZSU-23-4 Shilka AAA; all are short ranged, but have no meaningful other limit outside of line of sight.
-On combat radius versus payload:

As this table shows, with the heaviest bombload our radius would only be sufficient for Hummus SMASH and Snappy SNAPSHOT and would require high altitude ingress and egress, which would expose us to much more of the air defense network. Taking two drop tanks guarantees we have sufficient fuel for any profile and flight plan combination as well as loiter time if desired, but means we can only take 2 Shrikes. We can elect to take a single centerline tank, which should give enough range to allow for a free choice of flight plans. If we need to fly far and low then we can take two wing tanks and hopefully offset the loss of Shrikes by sneaking around SAMs rather than busting through them.

Don't forget topography/range affects minimum alt as well. Not from a technical standpoint, but the 100ft floor doesn't help if it doesn't have LOS that low.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Yooper posted:

Operation Snappy Snapshot has my vote. If we can eliminate that one SA site in our way then we're golden, and it provides a shorter route than most of the other plans. You have a lot of options for the F-16s here: we can use our Mk-80 series bombs, including the high-drag 82's, to hit important airfield buildings, runway strikes, or parked aircraft. We won't have any penetration capabilities (:69snypa:) with our available armament, just larger bombs. Other than that we have our Mavericks which should really only be used for heavy-armored targets.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Despite my love of planes, I do have a problem with an LP where you're playing as, effectively, a quasi fascist apartheid settler colonialist state.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Despite my love of planes, I do have a problem with an LP where you're playing as, effectively, a quasi fascist apartheid settler colonialist state.

If it makes you feel better, they are significantly less apartheidy in 1990.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Infidelicious posted:

If it makes you feel better, they are significantly less apartheidy in 1990.

It still feels like DCS world LPs like this automatically gravitate to huge stomps. Why not something like playing as North Vietnam in The Vietnam War, or Iran during the Iran-Iraq War? Maybe Chile in a hypothetical 80's Argentine-Chilean War?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fivemarks posted:

I bet you’re fun at parties.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fivemarks posted:

It still feels like DCS world LPs like this automatically gravitate to huge stomps. Why not something like playing as North Vietnam in The Vietnam War, or Iran during the Iran-Iraq War? Maybe Chile in a hypothetical 80's Argentine-Chilean War?

We could do Iran and keep the tomcats which is nice.

Fivemarks posted:

Most of the time were role-playing as the USA, who are significantly more problematic than Israel on most axes...axis?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fivemarks posted:

Maps are the #1 reason. None of those others are adequately modelled sadly. Persian Gulf has the vast majority of Iraq as just flat untextured sand, its really disappointing.

Second is lack of modelled Redfor planes. We need the MiG-23MLA, and Su-22. Russia refuses to share info with the devs even on long out-of-service models. Redfor helos are in a good place at least tho.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fivemarks posted:

It still feels like DCS world LPs like this automatically gravitate to huge stomps. Why not something like playing as North Vietnam in The Vietnam War

The basic answer: very few people own the MiG-21. The MiG-17 is not in DCS. There’s no good way to play as an SA-2, and controlling 23mm and 57mm ground AAA is boring and fiddly. And the NVA didn’t really have helicopter forces to speak of.

And even if you own the MiG-21, most of your North Vietnam missions would realistically be to make a one-engagement high speed intercept and RTB. Which is fun enough PVP with a wingman, but not so fun PvE with 24 people.

A lot of people do play Iran/Iraq war scenarios (on the wrong map due to game limitations) because it’s an interesting mix of aircraft and tech. I think such a scenario would be fun with a real oddball mix of equipment.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Fivemarks posted:

It’s an interesting question. We play Imperial Japan, and especially Nazi Germany a lot in video games. Even more so in flying games where Nazi Germany’s role in the history of combat aviation is such a significant portion.

The more humorous response is here ”do you mean USA or Israel?”

And back to seriousness: this is one of the best maps in the game. Or, it is the best one. Israel flies most of the planes that most people own and are good at. And, since World War 2, the Levant has seen a tremendous amount of air combat through all the stages of jet aviation. One way or another, Israel has been a participant to all that, and is responsible for most of the air victories obtained by these planes. So it creates a very interesting and well rehearsed environment for jet combat.

Plus, in this game, and Let’s Play, Israel is clearly taking a unilateral dash to retaliate against what it views to be an impending war. It is not a war crime, nor is it genocidal. It can be reasonably be viewed as self-defence, even if misguided. It obviously is shun by the international community, but Israel never cared much for that.

In terms of video games, that isn’t that problematic. It’s a pretty common way to plunge in to a war, after all.

And it’s not like the people of this forum, or Air Goons in the discord, are somehow blind to the suffering of palestinians or the issues of the Israeli state. To the contrary, it’s a pretty constant stream of staunch criticism of all the lovely things the Israeli state does.

And if you even look at my at my ”letter to sister” post above, it alludes to the imaginary Israeli with obvious palestinian roots struggling with the identity. I draw inspiration to that from my own heritage as a Sephardic/Mizrahi jewish person whose family members fought in many wars of Israel. Mizrahim and Sephardim have been often viewed as ”the blacks” under Ashkenazi rule, and despite my blinding whiteness, many of those Ashkenazi would have discriminated against me no matter how jewish I am, simply because my ancestors ran from Catholic Church from Iberia(to Finland of all places lmao). My relatives in IDF did not always avoid racism, or questions of their place in the Holy Land, and for example one of them had a tank crew of palestinians while invading Lebanon during Peace for Galilee. It was a constant identity crisis for him and his crew, and questions he carries to this day, without being able to answer them. Many people in Israel experience so many layers of intersectionalism, that it can be hard to comprehend for a member of a mainstream society elsewhere.

The israeli state has been a very martial state and almost everyone in it in one way or another has been a member of the Armed Forces. Even today, Palestinians in IDF uniforms struggle with themselves and their identity every day, and the plight of Muslims in IDF is another long story. But that also means that simply writing everything about the IDF as comprised of mainly evil individuals who themselves love doing the apartheid is problematic in itself. You can google IDF and Conscientious Objection based on Palestinian segregation and some of the contemporary issues the service has to contend with its members even today.

Obviously, that’s not to justify any of the bad things. It’s just that Israel is a complicated place, and your characterization isn’t necessarily fair.
And in terms of warplanes and war, and the Levant, skipping Israel would be pretty weird.

And let’s say, to be a bit dramatic, that this goon squadron is comprised of heroic israeli pilots without racist thoughts, and who are sensitive to the complexities of their state. They’re fighting air planes and bombing airbases, not strafing kids at Gaza.

If we would play as Iran-Iraq, which we have in the past in PVP, which one would you characterize as ”the good”?

And in your other example, would you characterize North Vietnam in 1969 to be ”good”?

I’d prefer to keep this thread out of the modern Palestinian discussion, but I’m happy to talk about it at Air Goons discord, for example, or in my private messages.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 18, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Quick screenshot of tables and planning numbers. I've been fiddling with the MLRS Platoons more. I might recommend that we slice the ammunition truck out entirely and give it to the ammunition platoon. It provides the MLRS more mobility, is more realistic, and avoids the AI deciding it feels like reloading instead of obeying orders. Also I was wrong on DCS reloads. They are maybe a hair slower than IRL, but the catch is that IRL you can load a pallet of six missiles at a time only, there is no partial reload. DCS slots individual rockets into the pack 1 by 1. So you can get 4 missiles faster than is possible, but it takes a only slightly longer than real life to get 2 full pallets in DCS. I also figured out how to make things drive faster :gifttank:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ingress has been weighing on my mind. Assuming that not every single SAM radar is live and blaring and only the Spoon Rests, and such, we have this :

Shortly after crossing the border our aircraft is detected but the type is not known. There are some sporadic pick ups before we reach the Golan Heights, but we're not tracked until entering Syria. After that point we're on Syrian Radar for the entire trip. We get identified once we are close enough for folks to get an eyeball on us.

The Jordan route down south gets us right next to the Southernmost Spoon Rest before we are detected. At this point we are 27nm from the nearest target. After that point, even if we kill that southern most Spoon Rest, we are still on radar tracking until we exfil down south. It also alloys us to skirt any and all sam sites until the target area.

Sneaky Border gets us in behind the air defenses and we are undetected for much longer. On the flip side we are detected ~ 28nm out from the target area if we do Snappy Snapshot plus we are flanked by SA-6's on the ingress. Our Shrikes will need to be spot on and hammer those sites (if they go live). Closer to the two target airfields we have SA-2's and SA-3's to deal with too.

In a nut shell we are on hostile radar for almost the same distance, but one way is clearer from SAM's than the other.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
If the politics of flying for Israel are making anyone feel weird, feel free to salve your conscience by donating some of that virtual plane money to life-saving medical care for Palestinian children through the Palestine Children's Relief Fund:

https://www.pcrf.net

quote:

As of September 2009 the PCRF has received a four-star rating by Charity Navigator, an independent evaluator of charities' fiscal management.[10] It has received support and endorsements from U.S. Senator Paul Sarbanes,[11] former U.S. Congressman Albert Wynn, and actor and humanitarian Richard Gere.[12][13]

In October 2006, former U.S. president Jimmy Carter issued a video endorsement of the organization.[12][14]

Money goes to providing emergency medical care for children in the West Bank and Gaza, especially the latter which is currently under blockade by Israel, has almost no clean water, and gets an hour or so of electricity during the day. If you are interested in learning more about conditions in Gaza you can always check out the free 2019 documentary Gaza Fights for Freedom (content warning for violence, including violence against children): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZSaKYmP2s

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We've got two mission profiles that command is evaluating. I'm going to break down the flight paths and threats on each. The 2nd op will follow in a later post.

Operation Snappy Snapshot

1. Most direct route.
2. Takes advantage of the MLRS to silence an SA-6 site.
3. MLRS has potential to do more depending on timing of ground advance.
4. Greatest SAM potential.

First step is launch and flights move to Kiryat Shmona Airport, this is a solid visual reference. Ground troops are currentl staged on that blue line.

At that point Earthquake at position GREEN 3 would fire on SA-6 RED 1. This is reachable from current lines.

If Earthquake advanced to the edge of Syria (eastern border of the Golan Heights), then it could fire at point GREEN 4 and hit SA-6 RED 1, RED 2, and the SA-2/SA-3's. This is our biggest bang for the buck and solves a ton of issues with this advance.

If Earthquake doesn't hit RED 2, then our A-4's must SEAD that area. Pathing gets kind of funky at that point as where we go is dependent on Earthquake and SEAD capabilities. For example if RED 2 is sanitized by Earthquake then we ingress over that smoking wreckage (great landmark) and split to the target areas to avoid SAM's to the north.

This would be Earthquake smiting those central sites after advance. SEAD would involve SA-2/SA-3's south of Khakhallah and SA-2/SA-3 north of Marj Ruhayil and a single SA-6.

If Earthquake doesn't smite that site, then our A-4's will need to strike two SA-6's, an SA-2, and an SA-3 at that location followed by an SA-6 north of Marj Ruhayyil. An SA-2 and two SA-3's also cover Khalkhallah.

Before I propose the next flight I'd like thoughts on sanitizing this many SAM sites with our A-4's.

Can Colt 1 & Colt 2 clear that path?

How much of a threat are the SA-2's and SA-3's?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 20, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Mission Brief Requirements

Excellent! We can make good use of those SOF folks.

Our next is Operation Sneaky Sabbath. This goes through Jordanian airspace to not arouse Syrian suspicion before fencing in around King Hussein Air College and heading north.

Advantages

1. Clear ingress until Syrian border.
2. Only one (1!) SA-6 to deal with.

We turn north and head straight for a Syrian radar. We do bad things to it.

33nm due north of our turn point is Khalkallah Air Base. Defending it is a pair of SA-3's and a single SA-2. They are on a rather interesting hill, we may have terrain cover up to them.

The air base itself is fairly wide, but intel says that Syrain AF places aircraft outside and likely not in revetments.

The single SA-6 is northwest of Mark Ruhayyil AB. In addition there is an SA-2 and SA-3. Damascus international Airport is just to the north and should we have extra ordnance it could be a secondary target.

Marj Ruhayyil has three main parking areas, and two runways.

Damascus Intl is big, modern, and would make for an easy "dump your poo poo here" sort of target.

The bulk of the SA-6 defenses appear to be focused on a route we'd either take over Lebanon or direct from the Golan Heights.

Total distance is 267 nm. At the same time we'll have our ground forces moving to the Syrian border to allow Earthquake to smash near SAM sites.

The sites were dealing with here are significantly less threatening and we are not 100% dependent on Earthquake to clear them. Ideally Earthquake could clear that center cluster, otherwise they can only smack a single SA-6.

Strikers and SEAD, thoughts on how capable your aircraft will be with the longer run please.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mission clarification on targets.

Main Goal

1. Destruction of airbase facilities, aircraft, and runways at Khalkallah Airbase and Marj Ruhayyil Airbase.
2. DEAD of SA-6's and SA-3's that threaten the flight path.

Secondary Goals

1. Destroy search radars.
2. Strike Damascus Intl Airport facilities.

Main Goal #2 will depend on flight path. I'm waiting on some analysis to determine optimal pathing.

Khalkallah will have open aircraft storage. There are a pair of SA-3's just south of the airbase that will need destruction.

Marj Ruhayyil will also have open aircraft storage. There is an SA-6 northwest of the airbase by about 5nm that will need to be destroyed. Damascus Intl is fairly close but is protected by SA-3's and SA-2's. This is secondary only if DEAD has remaining Shrikes available.

For central ingress there are 3 SA-6's that need DEAD. One to the north can be hit by Earthquake. There are a pair of SA-6's flanked by an SA-2 that will need to be destroyed that are directly in the flight path.

More flight paths for that route here.

Jordanian penetration route here. Note the search radar in the south, followed by SA-3's, and lastly an SA-6 north of Marj Ruhayyil.

Please let me know if you need additional information about target sites or facilities.

Lastly, this is how the Syrians are storing aircraft at one of the target sites...

Yooper fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 21, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Convergence will open up on two fronts at 0600. The first front will be a general armored advance across the Golan Heights to assume positions vacated in 1974. A 2nd push will go through Jordanian airspace into Syria itself to strike airbases and conduct OCA. We will return through central Syria in an area cleared by Earthquake.

Earthquake will advance with the general armored push and conduct bombardment of points #1, #2, #4, and #4. #1 and #2 are priority bombardments. Bombardments would occur approximately when we cross into Syrian Air Space.

CODEWORD for bombardment complete on #1 and #2 is "CRYSTAL". Codeword for all sites bombarded is "DIAMOND". As in CRYSTAL CLEAR or DIAMOND CLEAR.

COLT FLIGHT A-4E Skyhawk

DEAD will be conducted by COLT Flight. They will depart ahead of the main strike package. I'd like to start with 5 minutes, but I'll defer to flight leads on time to clear sites.

Main threats will be a Search Radar south of As Suwayda, a pair of SA-3's and an SA-2 near Khalkhalah Air Base, and an SA-6 and SA-3 north of Marj Ruhayyil Air Base.

Point #1 - Search Radar. You may strike with a Shrike, or leave it for follow up attack by the F-16's.
Point #2 - A pair of SA-3's and an SA-2 near a plateau.
Point #3 - SA-6 northwest of Marj.
Point #4 - SA-3 northeast of Marj.

As you pass Marj and Khal, please inform of any aircraft on the tarmac. We will pass this info along to PANTHER.

Secondary tasking - if Shrikes remain fire them at sites near Damascus.

PANTHER FLIGHT F-16C Falcon

Main strike package is Panther. You will depart after COLT flight. Tasking will be to strike aircraft, facilities, and runways at Khalkhalah AB and Marj Ruhayyil.

Threats will include AAA and potentially MANPAD's at target sites. If COLT flight has difficulties with SAM's we will adjust and inform.

Point #1 - Search Radar. If it's still alive, kill it.
Point #2 - Khalkhalah AB. Strike planes, facilities, runway. Bulk of planes will be found on tarmac.
Point #3 - Marj Ruhayyil AB. Strike planes, facilities, runway. Bulk of planes will be found on tarmac.
Point #4 - Any unexpended ordnance is to be dropped on Syrian armor near the DMZ.

Ordnance restrictions are only cluster bombs. (ooc : Due to lag issues, I believe the CBU-87 is OK?)

One Flight will go for Khal, the other for Marj. Panther 3 will be clean up. Attempt one pass for each aircraft.

DODGE FLIGHT CAP - F-15C and M2000C

You will ingress with PANTHER flight and maintain low altitude until you have crossed the border. You will be dealing with SA-2's at this altitude so be frosty. Once in Syria amp up to station altitude and hold racetrack to screen friendlies.

Point #1 - Pop up to patrol altitude.
Point #2 - Patrol this area until attack is clear.

Theater Threats

In Vietnam 77% of all air losses came from AAA. This will be a huge potential threat for our low altitude aircraft.
SA-6 will be the nastiest SAM, but an SA-3 is still capable. SA-2's are more dangerous to high fliers.
MIG-21's, MIG-23's and even MIG-29's may respond to our incursion though hopefully we are in and out before they can intercept.

CODE WORDS

PEPPER - Colt Flight DEAD has cleared primary threats.
BEACH - Incoming hostile aircraft.

UN Forces

Do not engage any UN vehicles or facilities. We will ignore them and push past them. They will be near the DMZ, so be aware of that if you drop ordnance on the exfil.

Conclusion

Flight Leads, I will leave ordnance choices to you. Avoid hardened targets, but open air facilities, aircraft, and runways are all valid targets. Ideally we kill what's on the ground, and prevent them from repairing the runways. Attempt to stay low for as long as possible, but once we're dropping bombs prioritize tasking survival over low altitude. Total mileage is ~225 nm.

For our USN friends, enjoy your liberty in Haifa. I'm sure Yitzhak Shamir will be in touch with the White House.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

PANTHER 2 can take Khalkhalah AB, and will make sure everyone in my flight practices pronouncing that name. We'll need to get a closer look at the facilities on the airfield to see what exactly we'll want to hit, but I may focus on cratering the runway and destroying parked planes. We don't have any penetrating bombs that could destroy the runway, but we can temporarily put it out of service to curtail their immediate response with hi-drag 6xMk-82 Snakeeyes, or 2xMk-84s if we need a bigger punch. HEAT rocket pods may be the best choice for all of the parked aircraft as that gives us the most munitions.

The terrain around the target area is extremely featureless and flat so if we encounter any remaining SA sites we will have to rely on our chaff and the Viper's agility.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Attention, attention, the US President during this timeline is Mike Dukakis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pictured: not to be outdone by the king of Jordan flying combat missions against ISIS, our brave commander in chief leads the 1st Armored Division as they cross the border into Syria