Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

worm girl posted:

Apparently the LP forum paywall is back. Does anyone know why, or when it will be gone, or where an announcement about it would even appear?

Huh, for what it's worth I don't seem to see the LP forum paywall up at all on my end, but the environments I'm testing in (incognito desktop session & logged out mobile) are far from comprehensive. I don't think there's ever been any rhyme or reason for it being on or off, though.

Aha, wasn't being thorough enough in my testing - paywall doesn't apply to the index pages but does apply to LP pages themselves. Apologies for the edit spam, just trying to make sure I'm not spreading incorrect info.

e: oh that's a terrible page snipe

dervival fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractHero
May 28, 2023

sebmojo posted:

it's always been p arbitrary when it goes up and down.

we have a huge number of reddit refugee lurkers atm so jeff may have turned it on to encourage them to register.

Genuinely sad to hear, I only joined recently because I was ABLE to see the actual forum itself and eventually gathered up enough want to actually post & interact with what I was reading. As well as in the future wanting to make my own thread, this thread itself was also a big inspiration for me joining as well, but I suppose I don't actually know any stats or the like to know if closing it off actually makes people give in & join.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

AbstractHero posted:

Genuinely sad to hear, I only joined recently because I was ABLE to see the actual forum itself and eventually gathered up enough want to actually post & interact with what I was reading. As well as in the future wanting to make my own thread, this thread itself was also a big inspiration for me joining as well, but I suppose I don't actually know any stats or the like to know if closing it off actually makes people give in & join.

I think I remember reading that during paywall periods, registrations increase, but I think that was Lowtax Era information, so who the gently caress knows if he was telling the truth or not.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I mean we have direct (if anecdotal) evidence of the paywall driving registrations during the Dangan Ronpa era, but I don't know how applicable that is generally

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Tarezax posted:

I mean we have direct (if anecdotal) evidence of the paywall driving registrations during the Dangan Ronpa era, but I don't know how applicable that is generally

I have to admit, that LP contributed strongly to my decision to finally register. That whole thread was absolutely wild; no-one knowing where the story was going since the game wasn't available in English back then.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I registered originally just to get past the paywall to read LP's in peace; think it was for a The Sims 3 LP lol.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AbstractHero posted:

really? i mean it's :10bux: forever, which is probably well below a fraction of a cent per hour of entertainment for me at this point.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

sebmojo posted:

really? i mean it's :10bux: forever, which is probably well below a fraction of a cent per hour of entertainment for me at this point.

I agree that an SA account is a great investment and I don't begrudge Jeff trying to make a buck off the Reddit refugees, but I'd be surprised to learn that paywalling content was directly driving up registrations outside of a Dangan Ronpa situation. I do wish an announcement would get posted somewhere though.

In my case some of my patrons were asking, and those people are already paying to see more of me, so I wouldn't expect them to want to pay twice. That's a me problem and not a forum problem though.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
They can pay to see my posts

AbstractHero
May 28, 2023

sebmojo posted:

I only currently get paid sixty dollars every two weeks, so tbh it was a substantial purchase for me it felt like with buying Pms & like a few other things.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
In case y'all didn't notice, a new video is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPzlqV84ed0

also, lol at going out in a kayak with an athletics (ie swimming) skill of...2. What could possibly go wrong?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I did in fact super miss this, thank you!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Episode 11: The River's Edge

Today we prepare for war. Episode 12 is going to be unbelievable.

Neophyte posted:

also, lol at going out in a kayak with an athletics (ie swimming) skill of...2. What could possibly go wrong?

I try to play somewhat suboptimally in this series so that interesting and more naturalistic things can happen. I'm glad somebody noticed. :unsmigghh:

worm girl fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 29, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

lmao at the random sand face

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
put more guns in your boat imo

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh my, a mansion. One of my favourite places to raid in the early-game. Potentially some very useful loot, and usually not too heavily guarded. They way they're usually out on their own, rather than surrounded by other (zombie-filled) buildings makes the approach much easier too.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Oh god, the inventory management :stare: Even with the sped up sections and editing, how much time does it take?!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
A lot of CDDA is about logistics. (I.e. inventory management.) Crafting and building, too.

I love that side of it personally, but you can also create a character that already has amazing skills/equipment/bionics/whatever and just go exploring to see what crazy stuff you can find, if you want. I've never done that though because it sounds awful to me. My character being all-powerful is generally the point at which I stop playing a particular run, because it's become a bit boring - not when I start one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's a mod where you're stuck in an endless forest with no civilization at all and have to build everything for yourself while living in a cave, specifically for people who can't get enough of the crafting and poking around for whatever you need.

Building stuff and poking around is a really fun part of the game.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
It took me a very long time to play catchup on this lovely LP but I finally made it. And I just want to say that I love it. When I get the time I'm definitely giving Cataclysm a try.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oddly enough I don't think I've ever actually bumped into a giant snail in any of my playthroughs.

Which is good, because snails are awful and terrifying creatures.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Which is good, because snails are awful and terrifying creatures.

I'd think you'd be innately good at dealing with them - just use your usual brand of diplomacy and they should generate enough salt to defeat themselves! :cheeky:

though I suppose they could be the kitfox of colossal mutated wildlife

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

worm girl posted:

I agree that an SA account is a great investment and I don't begrudge Jeff trying to make a buck off the Reddit refugees, but I'd be surprised to learn that paywalling content was directly driving up registrations outside of a Dangan Ronpa situation. I do wish an announcement would get posted somewhere though.

In my case some of my patrons were asking, and those people are already paying to see more of me, so I wouldn't expect them to want to pay twice. That's a me problem and not a forum problem though.

Joke's on him, I'm a Reddit refugee who already had an account! Which I made specifically because reading the original reddit threads was usually more entertaining than reading LPs on the archive.

Amusingly, I actually found this LP via your YouTube channel, and another Goon informed me you were posting SSLPs here first, so I read up until you starter the videos. Gotta say, I'll miss Gray and his weird family.

Edit: in the newest video, I could have sworn I saw you accidentally load birdshot into a shotgun along with 00. Did that happen or were my eyes playing tricks on me? Your menuing is so fast I can't keep up, and I regularly watch speedruns.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Read through this entire thread over the course of a few days, up until the youtube playthroughs started. Got the bug to play it again and holy cow, they're up to 0.G already? Last time I played was 0.C, which was only... eight years ago?!? :corsair: (Checking the main thread, I did come back around 2020 for a few months, which explains why Magiclysm looked familiar)

That link goes to an SSLP I did here, it's dry, uninformative, with very little in the way of story, and falling into archives. Might spoil a few things that haven't been seen in this thread, but I would recommend checking it out for the spectacle of a wildly-mutating man hopped up on cocaine building the Doof Wagon from Fury Road.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dareon posted:

Read through this entire thread over the course of a few days, up until the youtube playthroughs started. Got the bug to play it again and holy cow, they're up to 0.G already? Last time I played was 0.C, which was only... eight years ago?!? :corsair: (Checking the main thread, I did come back around 2020 for a few months, which explains why Magiclysm looked familiar)

That link goes to an SSLP I did here, it's dry, uninformative, with very little in the way of story, and falling into archives. Might spoil a few things that haven't been seen in this thread, but I would recommend checking it out for the spectacle of a wildly-mutating man hopped up on cocaine building the Doof Wagon from Fury Road.

Your SSLP was good and you should do more, imo.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Dareon posted:

I remember that. You used the RetroDays tileset, which is one I did a bunch of work on in 2014-2015 or so I think it was?

Most people use one of the other, more graphical tilesets, it seems like - and I don't blame them; those tilesets are really impressive. I still prefer RetroDays myself (maybe unsurprisingly); I find it easier to parse what's what - and to do so even when zoomed out a long way so that you can get a proper look at what's going on around you.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mecha_Face posted:

Edit: in the newest video, I could have sworn I saw you accidentally load birdshot into a shotgun along with 00. Did that happen or were my eyes playing tricks on me? Your menuing is so fast I can't keep up, and I regularly watch speedruns.

Entirely possible. Magazines can hold different types of ammo now, so you can alternate 00 and slugs or mix tracers in with your 5.56 ammo.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Episode 12 - Rollergirl Rampage

Featuring a song by Fastbacks.

This episode was recorded just before some major changes (nerfs) to guns went in, but I think mostly this would still be possible under the new system, just more difficult to pull off.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 31, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

an important task for everyone who has watched the video: suggest a roller derby name for Mellifera

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

biosterous posted:

an important task for everyone who has watched the video: suggest a roller derby name for Mellifera

Maul Goth

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't know a lot about roller derby, but

:hmmyes:

Great to see this back!

I don't know that I've ever cut loose with guns (in the game) as much as Mellifera in this video. I'm always saving them for a bigger, more armoured zombie. I guess when I've needed to clear the street (in the game, I'm talking about a computer game) like that, it's usually by driving back and forth with an armoured vehicle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

I don't know that I've ever cut loose with guns (in the game) as much as Mellifera in this video. I'm always saving them for a bigger, more armoured zombie. I guess when I've needed to clear the street (in the game, I'm talking about a computer game) like that, it's usually by driving back and forth with an armoured vehicle.

I find that there's usually a breaking point where you've either got the tools for breaking into gun stores or military facilities, or have simply accumulated a decent store of ammo which lets you just rip your way through a zombie swarm without worrying about running out of ammo or caring that the noise attracts more of them.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Low caliber ammo becomes basically worthless once all the zombies are armored. There's no reason not to use it, especially as it nets you skill ranks that will be very useful later when you actually need guns to survive at all.

Ammo is also a lot more plentiful than it used to be, you find a lot on zombies and stuff now. Once you get like 200 rounds or so, you hit a snowball point where you're almost always going to be finding more ammo than you're using.

I'm also trying to play in a more naturalistic/narratively interesting way, rather than simply doing the optimum thing. Making this LP has really got me way more into the roleplay side of the game, when before I was often just trying to mechanically succeed.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 31, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah, small pistol rounds are really not useful long term so you should use them liberally.

As a plus it's fun to shoot up a load of zombies especially now that it's not so easy to get to a point where you can safely melee down early game threats

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It does sound like there's been a lot of balance changes to melee/ranged since I last played the game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah i think this is it, folks

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Antistar01 posted:

It does sound like there's been a lot of balance changes to melee/ranged since I last played the game.

You can't perma stun / knockdown zombies now so it's no longer possible to just use a fast weapon with the appropriate techniques and be immune to 99% of melee threats. And shooting with low marksman skill is significantly less accurate. There's been some major buffs to melee (weakpoints) and ranged (ammo drops from regular zombies) recently so it balances out in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you want to be using ranged weapons regularly when you can because if you have no skill, it's not only less accurate but it takes much, much longer to aim. As you get better, you get noticeably better, now. So part of the reason to cut loose with that low caliber ammo is so you'll be ready later when you need to put what you learned to the test with tougher enemies.

The gun balance change was honestly very good. They're still really useful even at low skill, and you could do what Mel did here even with a relatively unskilled character once she had the skate park set up; if you can outmaneuver the enemy consistently you can afford the time. And they still become quite lethal and fast as you learn. You just need to be more careful and maneuver a lot, which is generally where the combat system shines. Taking advantage of terrain, stopping a second to look for a way out of a bad situation, planning what you're going to try to do and what you might do to throw a curveball to enemy numbers or if something unexpected and lethal pops up? Those are the really fun parts of combat.

E: Amusingly the way recoil works also means that now a .22 is a fantastic way to learn to shoot, which is pretty realistic from what I understand. Almost no recoil, so once you're aimed in, your aim doesn't decay from firing, so you can rapid fire even relatively unskilled and practice. And hey, a .22 varmint rifle works just fine on standard zombies early on, the ammo is common and found in abundance, and it weighs almost nothing.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 31, 2023