Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the little VN-style character images during the conversation, by the way, I think that's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes, they're great!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Episode 13: Hubris

Been busy. Oh so busy. But here's more Mel!

It really does seem like once you have 200 rounds or so, you can just shoot guns full time. You won't always have your choice of ammo, but zombies will always bring you more ammo than you can use. I'm not sure quite how I feel about this, but it's nice to have options in any case.

lol

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 28, 2023

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Super excellent stuff as always. I like the videos for a lot of reasons besides this specifically, but it's nice to see what gameplay is looking like at various points when I'm taking a break from the game.

Not to suggest you actually do it, necessarily, but have you considered doing a Sky Island LP at some point? Just now thinking about how that might lend itself to some pretty excellent emergent storytelling by virtue of the premise and non-stop way the mod changes things up.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 28, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Ah, gun stores, you get so excited the first time you find one, and then you realize that there's a reason no one's gotten into it yet. Last I played you could absolutely focus half a run around just getting into a single gun store, either acquiring the tools or skills to make it feasible.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
All that fighting, and it's a simple accident that does the worst damage. The waves were just kind of endless there though.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Keldulas posted:

All that fighting, and it's a simple accident that does the worst damage. The waves were just kind of endless there though.

Guns are powerful, but they really do bring a lot of trouble down on your head.

As for the fall, it was my fault. Mel was carrying a lot of weight, injured, and doesn't have high stats to begin with. I need to be more careful.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Not to suggest you actually do it, necessarily, but have you considered doing a Sky Island LP at some point? Just now thinking about how that might lend itself to some pretty excellent emergent storytelling by virtue of the premise and non-stop way the mod changes things up.

It would definitely be cool. I want to show it off in a video at some point, even if it's not an LP I might do a mini guide for it or something.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 29, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love floating islands, I would be down for that.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Parasite Eve battle music over the giant wasp queen fight was brilliant! Really love this series!

Voted 5, going hog wild!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Episode 14: Minot Finale

Editing this one took forever, but I had fun.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Kirk is definitely one of the most statistically consistent NPCs that the game has generated. I am always fond of the implied narrative kind of thing a skill load-out can tell.

I know it doesn't actually matter mechanically, but I hope you drag in another chair for Kirk at least.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Years ago when I was still learning how to play CDDA, my character was sleeping on a pile of loot in an evac shelter next to the computer console (to make use of the light from the screen), when suddenly - dead. Game over.

I looked back through the message log, and worked out that an NPC had wandered in, turned hostile, and then bugged out. I don't know if they still do this, but at the time they could get stuck in some kind of loop, and the game had a fail-safe ("safe") where the NPC's head(?) would explode, killing them. It turned out that this was an actual explosion, which could actually set off things like ammo... such as the ammo in the loot pile my character was sleeping on. So, big explosion - dead.

NPC behaviour like this has coloured my perception of NPCs in CDDA for years, and as a result I've always avoided picking up NPCs as party members; pretty sure I've never done that, actually.

All the NPC interaction in the various runs in this LP has made me wonder if I'm missing out, though. Maybe I should finally give NPCs as party members a chance sometime.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, those last five seconds. Incredible, truly incredible.

Also, I'm surprised those basement spiders were generally so friendly. I seem to recall them being voracious berserkers last I played, though that was admittedly a while ago.

Finding a hacksaw is also one of those things that should get you one of those Legend of Zelda "you found an item!"-jingles with the item hovering above you, because it unlocks so much cool poo poo. The alternative is just learning to lockpick, which can also be super busted if you get enough skill with it. Silently opening stuff is great and there are maaaaany lovely doors and containers that people have for inscrutable reasons decided you should not be able to get through. Silly people.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
In terms of lockpicking, I tended to view pointlessly locked doors as a resource to train the skill up on.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Antistar01 posted:

All the NPC interaction in the various runs in this LP has made me wonder if I'm missing out, though. Maybe I should finally give NPCs as party members a chance sometime.

NPCs in the current experimental are incredibly useful.

You can have them deconstruct items and vehicles for you, which is otherwise a really time-consuming process. You can have them farm, which isn't too hard to do on your own, but it's nice to have the automation available. You can get them to read to each other, do training seminars for difficult proficiencies, and most importantly now, you can have them craft things. So if you're tired of burning 20,000 kcal and an entire week forging a helmet, just tell your buddy to do it while you gently caress off into the woods or whatever. Also if they have the skill, they'll pitch in to help you batch craft, which cuts crafting time by 10% per helper, for a maximum of I think 3 helpers. Shaving 30% off the crafting time for a vat of biodiesel or mutagen is very much worth it, ditto for tallow and pemmican. NPCs can also go hunting for you if you have a faction camp. They'll often bring back quite a bit of game, which is a great way to get fat and leather once you're well-established.

They're a bit harder to manage in combat, but not impossible. My usual strategy is to give them a hard-hitting weapon like an axe or something and tell them to stay very close to me. The annoying part is that you have to keep checking up on them as there's no readily-visible HUD element to show that they're at like half torso HP or anything. The important thing is to be ready to use the dialog system to give them new orders if the situation changes. You can designate retreat points via zones and change their follow distance or engagement rules on the fly to either drag them out of combat or get them to run while you stay put and cover their escape.

It's especially nice having them around for dissection. Not only will they help (reducing the work time), but they'll protect you while you're working so that you don't have to stop if like a cockroach comes by or something.

What I'd really love to see is a critical wound system, so that instead of dying at 0 HP, you might fall unconscious and into a dying state like in D&D, and you could take over a nearby NPC and have them try to save you. It wouldn't have to happen all the time (.50 BMG to the head is death no matter who your doctor is), but it would make for some good stories.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

There's the option to go full Kenshi and make it so getting your rear end kicked makes you tougher.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The plan as I've heard it is more Rimworld. If you aren't careful, you will start getting scars and other permanent injuries that will eventually make it more difficult to keep playing unless you seek out prosthetics, bionics, or other super-science methods (mutagen? mi-go biotech?) of repairing your body. This will also slowly turn the game from a solo survival deal into the story of a group. If your guy eventually loses an arm or something, you can have him retire to the faction camp where he can train other survivors and do crafting and stuff, while one of your NPCs becomes the main character. You can already switch characters at the faction camp board. I think you can elect a new leader (player character) once every couple months, but if you get sick or break a limb, the cooldown resets.

I really like the idea, especially because you'll have stuff like spider, crab, and insect mutants regenerating limbs as they molt. I think cephalopods and gastropods regenerate IRL too, and to a lesser extent lizards of course. Slimes would probably be immune to scarring altogether.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

worm girl posted:

You can designate retreat points via zones and change their follow distance or engagement rules on the fly to either drag them out of combat or get them to run while you stay put and cover their escape.

How vulnerable are they during long trips? Like if their "retreat zone" is across a river and on the other side of an island, does the game simulate their entire journey and chances of getting munched or do they just "fast travel" after a certain distance from you?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

PurpleXVI posted:

How vulnerable are they during long trips? Like if their "retreat zone" is across a river and on the other side of an island, does the game simulate their entire journey and chances of getting munched or do they just "fast travel" after a certain distance from you?

It has to be in the reality bubble or they won't use it. It's meant to be used per-encounter, not as a thing you place once and never change.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

worm girl posted:

NPCs in the current experimental are incredibly useful.

You can have them deconstruct items and vehicles for you, which is otherwise a really time-consuming process. You can have them farm, which isn't too hard to do on your own, but it's nice to have the automation available. You can get them to read to each other, do training seminars for difficult proficiencies, and most importantly now, you can have them craft things. So if you're tired of burning 20,000 kcal and an entire week forging a helmet, just tell your buddy to do it while you gently caress off into the woods or whatever. Also if they have the skill, they'll pitch in to help you batch craft, which cuts crafting time by 10% per helper, for a maximum of I think 3 helpers. Shaving 30% off the crafting time for a vat of biodiesel or mutagen is very much worth it, ditto for tallow and pemmican. NPCs can also go hunting for you if you have a faction camp. They'll often bring back quite a bit of game, which is a great way to get fat and leather once you're well-established.

They're a bit harder to manage in combat, but not impossible. My usual strategy is to give them a hard-hitting weapon like an axe or something and tell them to stay very close to me. The annoying part is that you have to keep checking up on them as there's no readily-visible HUD element to show that they're at like half torso HP or anything. The important thing is to be ready to use the dialog system to give them new orders if the situation changes. You can designate retreat points via zones and change their follow distance or engagement rules on the fly to either drag them out of combat or get them to run while you stay put and cover their escape.

It's especially nice having them around for dissection. Not only will they help (reducing the work time), but they'll protect you while you're working so that you don't have to stop if like a cockroach comes by or something.

This all sounds pretty cool - and kind of intimidating too, since I haven't dealt with NPC/camp/etc management systems much - or at all, really.

worm girl posted:

You can already switch characters at the faction camp board. I think you can elect a new leader (player character) once every couple months, but if you get sick or break a limb, the cooldown resets.

This is in particular sounds like it'd take a significant attitude adjustment; I'm very used to only having to worry about gear/supplies/vehicle seats/etc for a single character.

I'm thinking of starting a new game right now actually. I just fired up the launcher to update the game, and the last time I updated it was early last year, so... I'm expecting things to be very different.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Antistar01 posted:

This is in particular sounds like it'd take a significant attitude adjustment; I'm very used to only having to worry about gear/supplies/vehicle seats/etc for a single character.

You still don't really need to think about more than a single character. NPCs only need food if they're doing work via the faction camp, and that's handled through a distinct system that turns stored calories into a sort of currency you can spend on doing specific jobs. They don't need gear if they're just sitting at home, and if your MC gets wounded, they can just hand their gear off to the NPC who is going to become the MC. Though personally I enjoy collecting/crafting kits for all my dudes just for RP reasons.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

worm girl posted:

You still don't really need to think about more than a single character. NPCs only need food if they're doing work via the faction camp, and that's handled through a distinct system that turns stored calories into a sort of currency you can spend on doing specific jobs. They don't need gear if they're just sitting at home, and if your MC gets wounded, they can just hand their gear off to the NPC who is going to become the MC. Though personally I enjoy collecting/crafting kits for all my dudes just for RP reasons.

Actually yeah I guess the adjustment I was thinking of there would be more for having an NPC currently following me. I'm assuming they need food when they're currently following you? I saw that there's a mod to disable NPC needs, so...

I started a new game last night and immediately got thrust into at least some of the NPC follower system, since the NPC I started next to actually agreed to join me. I think I may have hit the jackpot with random NPC generation, because this guy has like 5 in Melee and *9* in Rifles, and started with a sniper rifle plus ammo. :stare:

Good thing too, because I chose the "XS"(?) trait - which I haven't tried before - and it turns out it doesn't just make your character a little underweight, it makes them skeletal and basically currently starving to death. So my character has -50% speed and just generally tanked stats all around, and we started in an overrun sports stadium.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Antistar01 posted:

Actually yeah I guess the adjustment I was thinking of there would be more for having an NPC currently following me. I'm assuming they need food when they're currently following you? I saw that there's a mod to disable NPC needs, so...

I started a new game last night and immediately got thrust into at least some of the NPC follower system, since the NPC I started next to actually agreed to join me. I think I may have hit the jackpot with random NPC generation, because this guy has like 5 in Melee and *9* in Rifles, and started with a sniper rifle plus ammo. :stare:

Good thing too, because I chose the "XS"(?) trait - which I haven't tried before - and it turns out it doesn't just make your character a little underweight, it makes them skeletal and basically currently starving to death. So my character has -50% speed and just generally tanked stats all around, and we started in an overrun sports stadium.

I think you might actually be the side character in this story :v:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Oof that's a nasty start. I've done XS, it's rather interesting, but it's dangerous as balls. You can and will die to a singular zombie if things go wrong. And I was starting in a regular house. I couldn't even leave it until I gained SOME weight. Your character acts like a nuclear furnace, any food-type object you eat basically gets incinerated and you go hungry again very fast. It was quite a trip eventually sneaking out, finding a fast food restaurant, and vacuuming up every piece of junk food into my gob because I just simply needed the calories that badly.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Antistar01 posted:

No, they don't need food. The disable NPC Needs mod is always selected by default and will be until such time as it's not a huge pain in the rear end to feed NPCs. Do not ever disable it, it will ruin your game.

If you make a faction camp and want them to do work that way, they take food as payment for jobs via the faction camp system, but they don't passively get hungry if they aren't doing jobs via the camp board.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I think you might actually be the side character in this story :v:

It did feel that way, up until his tragic sacrifice in the stadium parking lot, distracting the crowd of zombies so that I could get away in an extremely convenient sports car. I did try to shoot the zombies surrounding him from the car, but my character was so slow (what with the starvation) that it was too late before I could even start aiming at them.

The only thing missing was him pulling the pin on the grenade he was carrying so that he could take them all with him, classic zombie movie style. (Instead he was just bashing the zombies over the head with the grenade when they got too close to use the sniper rifle.)

Keldulas posted:

Oof that's a nasty start. I've done XS, it's rather interesting, but it's dangerous as balls. You can and will die to a singular zombie if things go wrong. And I was starting in a regular house. I couldn't even leave it until I gained SOME weight. Your character acts like a nuclear furnace, any food-type object you eat basically gets incinerated and you go hungry again very fast. It was quite a trip eventually sneaking out, finding a fast food restaurant, and vacuuming up every piece of junk food into my gob because I just simply needed the calories that badly.

It's been pretty ridiculous. In the space of 2-3 hours, my character ate something like three cheeseburgers, half a fish noodle casserole, one and a half packs of pop-tarts, various lollies, a couple of cups of milk, a beer, and probably more besides. Still "emaciated". I'm guessing it might take a day or so to start seeing some kind of shift there, though?

worm girl posted:

No, they don't need food. The disable NPC Needs mod is always selected by default and will be until such time as it's not a huge pain in the rear end to feed NPCs. Do not ever disable it, it will ruin your game.

If you make a faction camp and want them to do work that way, they take food as payment for jobs via the faction camp system, but they don't passively get hungry if they aren't doing jobs via the camp board.

Oh... guess I'm restarting, then. :v: I didn't realise that was an "on by default" mod; I'd thought that maybe I'd left it enabled the last time I played the game. Thanks for the info on this stuff.

The "XS" trait was being kind of a pain anyway, so this might be a good opportunity to swap that one out.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think the XS one is actually fairly interesting to do as a challenge start kind of thing. Granted, trying to start in a stadium or otherwise default crowded area is basically suicide, it only worked because of your NPC. Plus you technically get more stat points to work with after you eventually get over the hump.

"A day". You wish. Hahaha.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Antistar01 posted:

It's been pretty ridiculous. In the space of 2-3 hours, my character ate something like three cheeseburgers, half a fish noodle casserole, one and a half packs of pop-tarts, various lollies, a couple of cups of milk, a beer, and probably more besides. Still "emaciated". I'm guessing it might take a day or so to start seeing some kind of shift there, though?

Food takes about a day to digest and add itself to your stored calories. Before that it's just sitting in your stomach being processed.

A healthy adult has something like 55,000+ stored calories, and burns around 1400 every day even if they do absolutely nothing. I believe XS can start you as low as 20,000. So not only do you need to consume 30,000 total calories to get back up to a healthy weight, you also need to consume 1400 calories daily just to maintain. It is a deep, deep debt.

These numbers are just an approximation, but look here:

code:
Cheeseburger: 380 kcal x 3 = 1140
Fish Noodle Cassserole: 601 kcal x .5 = 300
Toast-em: 200 kcal x 3 = 600
Candy: 85 kcal x 4 = 340
Milk: 132 kcal x 2 = 264
Beer: 108 kcal
-Minus 1400 kcal (basic metabolism)
----------------------------------
~1352 kcal paid toward a 30,000 kcal debt. Only 28,648 kcal to go!
So you'd basically need to eat like that every single day for 2 or 3 weeks just to get out of starvation, and during that time you wouldn't want to do any major projects like chopping wood, digging, forging, automobile maintenance, etc.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2023

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I was a bit fast and loose there in describing how much my character was eating. You find cheeseburgers as two serves per paper wrapper, so it was more like twice that amount - or even more, since a couple of them were "deluxe" cheeseburgers.

Similarly it was two serves of fish noodle casserole - which I just described as "half" a casserole because I found it in a casserole dish with four serves. Twelve pop-tarts/toast-ems overall since there were eight per pack, etc.

The game said it was ~5000kcal, I think? And that was by midday, starting at 8am or whatever the regular start time is. Basically just shovelling food into his mouth whenever it ticked over from "Full" to "Very Hungry".

In any case, I did start again to re-enable that "no NPC needs" mod, and this time didn't take the "XS" trait. Maybe I'll try it again sometime as a challenge start, but I was surprised at how severe the starvation is, considering the trait only gives you a paltry single character point in return.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I just caught up on this thread, I really enjoyed it. Funnily enough I first encountered your Fear and Hunger videos last year, and started reading this thread without realizing you were the same person lol.

I don't usually watch video LPs but I enjoy the style of the Melifera videos. I do kinda miss Gray and the gang though. Regardless, I like the split between narrative/informative.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The Youtube channel reached 50k subs so I thought I'd celebrate by eating some Cataclysm food IRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuK7y8SG6eY

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
too bad you don't play Project Zomboid, you could have had a nice hearty bowl of cabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagepeppercabbage stew

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

worm girl posted:

The Youtube channel reached 50k subs so I thought I'd celebrate by eating some Cataclysm food IRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuK7y8SG6eY

"hey everyone it's ya girl, today we're eating like a real Cataclysm survivor.

here I've got a twenty-gallon jug of cooking oil, a bottle of vodka, three cheeseburgers and a bag of chips, let's tuck in"

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Neophyte posted:

too bad you don't play Project Zomboid, you could have had a nice hearty bowl of cabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagecabbagepeppercabbage stew

I will say that I think Project Zomboid does food cooking way better than Cataclysm. The idea that meals can just be ingredients combined as however you want is a lot more true to actual cooking.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I am probably going to set up a Zomboid server for my patrons at some point, and I'm sure that will generate some content. Doing a video where I try to get cabbage cooked nine different ways into a single dish with pepper as the only seasoning would be a funny challenge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

"hey everyone it's ya girl, today we're eating like a real Cataclysm survivor.

here I've got a twenty-gallon jug of cooking oil, a bottle of vodka, three cheeseburgers and a bag of chips, let's tuck in"

That's a funny way to spell 'a freshly murdered feral, fried in their own body fat.'

It's kinda hilarious how useful human lard cooking oil is for a cannibal. Make anything that requires frying into a spiritual experience!

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Congrats on 50k. Loved the last episode and the 50k video. I probably would have bled all over the place using a kukri like that, hahaha.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Also is that figurine a catgirl Arcueid that isn't Neco Arc or am I mixing up my niche VN characters?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

PurpleXVI posted:

Also is that figurine a catgirl Arcueid that isn't Neco Arc or am I mixing up my niche VN characters?

It's an Arcueid Nendoroid that happens to come with cat ears as a nod to Neco-Arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Episode 15 - Jabberwock

A lot of unfortunate things happened all at once IRL and I had a massive crunch to get my latest big video out (it's on Lisa: The Pointless: Scholar of the Wilbur Sin: Infinity Unfolds, if you are curious), but here's the next episode!