Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Biscuit, old chap. Cookies are a subset thereof but I doubt you meant Marylands. Tell me more :allears:

there's not much more to tell because afaik the story has never been confirmed, but it does appear to be true that Tunnock's teacakes were banned from RAF flights for constant exploding at altitude. per the story, some unsuspecting flight engineer dunked his teacake in tea (as normal), it eventually burst (as normal), and some of the wet teacake fell into the computer and short-circuited the button to arm the nuke (not normal). they were able to land and disarm the weapon, but allegedly this played into the later ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If we are all going to die in an accidental nuclear war it would have been nice for a teacake to have been the cause

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Lady Radia posted:

wait, just to clarify: the other two guys in the room also got slammed?

The crazy story I've gotten from living in Idaho, was that the guy did it on purpose because his wife was fooling around with one of the other guys in the room.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

re: Three-Mile Island.

it had one gigantic effect, in safety science. I’m gonna quote from a blog post that I think explains it well for another context:

quote:

The Three Mile Island accident (TMI) is notable, not because of the immediate impact on human lives, but because of the profound effect it had on the field of safety science.

Before TMI, the prevailing theories of accidents was that they were because of issues like mechanical failures (e.g., bridge collapse, boiler explosion), unsafe operator practices, and mixing up physical controls (e.g., switch that lowers the landing gear looks similar to switch that lowers the flaps).

But TMI was different. It’s not that the operators were doing the wrong things, but rather that they did the right things based on their understanding of what was happening, but their understanding of what was happening, which was based on the information that they were getting from their instruments, didn’t match reality. As a result, the actions that they took contributed to the incident, even though they did what they were supposed to do. (For more on this, I recommend watching Richard Cook’s excellent lecture: It all started at TMI, 1979).

TMI led to a kind of Cambrian explosion of research into human error and its role in accidents. This is the beginning of the era where you see work from researchers such as Charles Perrow, Jens Rasmussen, James Reason, Don Norman, David Woods, and Erik Hollnagel.

TMI was significant because it was an event that could not be explained using existing theories.

all the giants of safety science, most modern theories of cognitive engineering or high-reliability organization sort of have a direct or indirect connection to the study of how TMI managed to happen and what it could mean for the world of safety at large.

TMI wasn’t necessarily a shock because of what it did to people, but because of what it meant in our ability to trust technical systems. It forced a departure from the idea that you could design the system (and its machines and components) just right and it would go ahead and work so long as people followed the procedures.

It is behind concepts such as Perrow’s Normal Accidents Theory, and propelled a lot of the first systemic/non-linear incident models that followed that one since then, and are actually useful models in use today across most if not all high-reliability industries.

They’re used to analyze aviation, NASA’s work, oil drilling, petrochemical processes, forest firefighting, hospitals, fisheries, mining, software, and of course the nuclear industry.

(Software engineering mostly ignores them or sees them as soft science.)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guessing from memory before i look it up: 3MI was the one where they thought a relief valve or something was open, because the "valve is open" indicator light was on, but all that showed was that the power line for the valve was energized, but it was stuck?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah, but the overall complexity is higher:

quote:

The accident started when two secondary cooling system pumps stopped operating (probably because of a false control signal that was caused by leakage of perhaps a cup of water from seals in the condensate polisher system). With no secondary cooling system flow, the turbines shut down, and heat stopped being removed from the secondary system by the turbines and cooling tower, and therefore, heat stopped being removed from the primary system through the heat exchanger.

The emergency feedwater pumps activated, to remove the heat that was building up in the reactor, now that the secondary cooling system was no longer removing it through the turbines, cooling tower, and heat exchanger. These emergency pumps circulate water in the secondary cooling system, which boils off because the energy is not removed by the turbine, and draw in replacement water from the emergency water storage tank.

Both emergency feedwater pumps were operating against closed valves: they had been closed during maintenance two days earlier. The operator did verify that the pumps were operating, but did not know that they were accomplishing nothing because of the closed valves. One of the two indicator lights on the control panel that might have alerted them to the valves being closed was obscured by a repair tag hanging on the switch above it. It was only eight minutes later that this problem was discovered.

With no secondary circulation, no more heat was being removed from the reactor core, its temperature started to rise, and the automatic emergency shutdown procedure, known as a "scram," was started. This involves the rapid insertion of control rods whose composition includes a large percentage of neutron-absorbing materials. This absorbs most of the fission neutrons before they have a chance to initiate a new fission event, stopping the chain reaction. It does not immediately stop the release of heat in the reactor core. Because many of the fission products are unstable nuclei, with half-lives ranging from fractions of a second to days, heat continues to be released in a nuclear reactor core for quite some time after the chain reaction itself is stopped by the scram. Because no heat was being removed through the secondary coolant system, temperatures and therefore also pressures rose within the core and primary coolant system.

The Pilot Operated Relief Valve (PORV) is designed to valve off enough coolant from the primary system to keep pressures at safe levels. It initially opened because of the pressure rise resulting from the cooling failure. It was instructed to close, to keep the bubbles squeezed small. It did not close, and therefore the radioactive primary coolant continued to be drained into the sump and the bubbles in the core grew larger and larger as coolant turned to steam at the reduced pressures. Steam is much less effective at conducting heat away from the reactor fuel rods, so their temperatures rose even faster, reaching values that permitted them to resume fissioning.

As soon as the pressure had been adequately reduced, a signal was sent to the PORV to close again. The control panel included an indicator light that showed that this signal had been sent. Unfortunately, despite the indicator light showing that the valve was being told to close, it did not in fact close. The primary cooling system stayed open for 140 minutes, venting 32,000 gallons, one third of the core capacity, and keeping the pressure in the core at a much lower level than it would have been with the PORV properly seated.

The reduced pressure caused steam bubbles to form, with four results:

1. It reduced the effectiveness of the cooling wherever those bubbles were in direct contact with the fuel rods.
2. It impeded the flow of coolant through the core and the pipes.
3. The fuel rod temperatures rose.
4. The chain reaction resumed, releasing even more heat.

The High Pressure Injection (HPI) pumps activated (one automatically, one by operator intervention) to flood the core with cold water. Reactor containment vessels are made of steel, and in operation are exposed to large amount of radiation, especially neutrons. The steel becomes brittle with age, prone to shattering. The shock of HPI operation with its cold water is a risk to be traded off against the risk of letting the core heat up.

To reduce the risks of high pressure operation, and in particular, the risks of hydraulic shock waves traveling through the plumbing, the reactor is designed with a large surge tank. This tank, known as the "pressurizer," normally has its bottom half filled with water and its top half with steam. Heating or cooling the steam permits the pressure in the reactor core and primary cooling system to be controlled. Compression of the steam absorbs any hydraulic shocks that reach the pressurizer. If the pressurizer fills up with water, as it will if the steam all condenses, then hydraulic shock waves moving through the plumbing (caused, for example, by opening or closing of valves, or the starting or stopping of pumps) will not be absorbed, and may therefore cause pipes or pipe-joints to break.

In order to prevent this well-recognized risk to a safety system, the operators followed standard procedures and reduced High Pressure Injection when the pressurizer pressure indicator rose toward the point that would indicate that it was about to fill.

The reduced pressure also caused cavitation in the reactor coolant pumps, which could erode the moving metal parts of the pump, distributing fragments throughout the coolant (where they would destroy other pumps and valves in the system), so the reactor coolant pumps had to be shut down, further reducing coolant flow.

All four of these failures took place within the first thirteen seconds, and none of them are things the operators could have been reasonably expected to be aware of.

With the loss of one-third of the coolant and the sustained operation at reduced pressure but high temperature, the zirconium cladding of some of the fuel rods reacted with the water, oxidizing the zirconium and leaving free hydrogen behind. The hydrogen accumulated in the reactor, forming pockets that prevented water from reaching parts of the core to cool it.

In the reactor core, this hydrogen is inert, because there is no oxygen available to burn with it. During a loss of coolant incident, however, it is likely that some of the hydrogen will be carried out along with the coolant. It will then collect in the containment building, where it will have oxygen available. […] At TMI, the hydrogen-air explosion took place 33 hours into the accident and produced an over-pressure fully half of the design strength of the building.

https://people.ohio.edu/piccard/entropy/perrow.html has a very good narrative

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 9, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god i love reading about these things so much. i hate that they happen, but

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

to be clear, the building (which was stronger than usual because it was near an airport and wanted to withstand a plane crashing into it) and the amount of redundant failsafes did their jobs, but the nature of the failure itself and its mechanisms are what baffled people and eroded trust in the existing safety models. The link above is an overview of Perrow’s book as written by a reviewer.

Perrow’s conclusions were that some distributed systems require tight coupling and complex interactions to work and control highly dynamic and complex situations. unfortunately these properties put together result in accidents being something we need to consider as “normal” — as an inevitable consequence of these systems existing and operating.

This does not mean in practice that nuclear power is more or less dangerous than other systems, but had a pivotal shift in the way safety sciences framed themselves and the type of activities they prioritized.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 9, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i heard what was probably an urban legend but it's also just a good joke, to the effect of: when you want to propose a nuclear plant build in the US, you have to lay out the contingency plans for various failures and accidents, but if you do that, you're admitting that it's not 100% guaranteed safe, so they deny the permit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

China syndrome is a good movie

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

eeeeh. it mostly benefited from coming out two weeks before three mile island happened.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I remember it being really compelling but basically ridiculous anti-nuclear propaganda. haven't seen it since I was like 14 though so who knows if that's accurate

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a small collection of books about the American, German, Russian, and British nuclear programs. One of my favorite small anecdotes is from Aleksandr Leipunskii, the Director of chemical separation at Cheliabinsk-40. The government was quite paranoid about sabatoge and he relates this story:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
always salt your fish

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I know I found this video from these forums but didn’t see it posted in this thread yet. it’s one of the more viscerally disturbing and enlightening radiation vids I’ve ever seen. the lady’s probably an idiot, but glad she filmed finding a piece of the Chernobyl reactor fuel

https://youtu.be/ejZyDvtX85Y
second video confirms it via spectroscopy iirc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

hollywoods demonization of nuclear power is largely why we're still stuck with coal.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Interesting thread on Soviet/Russian nuclear war planning:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sovietologist/status/1579236593327427585

Of relevance to the 'POS:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sovietologist/status/1579236633714470912

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Thread décor

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

rotor posted:

hollywoods demonization of nuclear power is largely why we're still stuck with coal.

I also partly blame The Simpsons.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Doom Mathematic posted:

I also partly blame The Simpsons.

FACT: the simpsons are part of hollywood

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This is actually insane, I had never heard of this.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MononcQc posted:

to be clear, the building (which was stronger than usual because it was near an airport and wanted to withstand a plane crashing into it) and the amount of redundant failsafes did their jobs, but the nature of the failure itself and its mechanisms are what baffled people and eroded trust in the existing safety models. The link above is an overview of Perrow’s book as written by a reviewer.

Perrow’s conclusions were that some distributed systems require tight coupling and complex interactions to work and control highly dynamic and complex situations. unfortunately these properties put together result in accidents being something we need to consider as “normal” — as an inevitable consequence of these systems existing and operating.

This does not mean in practice that nuclear power is more or less dangerous than other systems, but had a pivotal shift in the way safety sciences framed themselves and the type of activities they prioritized.

idk, maybe i've just been exposed to that school of thought in the background during my education but the idea that accidents are kind of inevitable just as emergent properties of systems seems pretty natural/obvious. like sure i can believe that people believed you could make systems with inherent stability (and therefore accident proof?), but like that's got to be a very small class of systems.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

namlosh posted:

I know I found this video from these forums but didn’t see it posted in this thread yet. it’s one of the more viscerally disturbing and enlightening radiation vids I’ve ever seen. the lady’s probably an idiot, but glad she filmed finding a piece of the Chernobyl reactor fuel

https://youtu.be/ejZyDvtX85Y
second video confirms it via spectroscopy iirc

jfc i cannot believe she loving touched that with her bare hands. to be fair i haven't thought about how much dose it actually is (maybe it's small) and i've got sound off but yikes.

whenever i'd do work with possibly contaminated items, i'd have to don lab a coat, wear 2 layers of gloves, and get frisked, either by a tech or with a hand and foot monitor, after i completed the work. i don't think i was ever really that close to something very contaminated but even doing that work freaked me the gently caress out.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Eeyo posted:

idk, maybe i've just been exposed to that school of thought in the background during my education but the idea that accidents are kind of inevitable just as emergent properties of systems seems pretty natural/obvious. like sure i can believe that people believed you could make systems with inherent stability (and therefore accident proof?), but like that's got to be a very small class of systems.
That’s good.

the belief of a perfectly safe system is really prevalent in many industries: find any place where human error (or operator error, or “loss of situational awareness”) is the main rationale for an accident, and you’ll find islands of people and organizations that do believe in the myth of a technically sound system where more automation and stricter rules are going to save us all (or organizations throwing people under busses to preserve themselves, whether they are doing it maliciously or not)

The entire self-driving car industry is banking on it, nurses keep being put on trial for mistakes made under impossible conditions, and it’s the ethos of most software companies take people (the fallible element) out of the loop to be better are signs of organizations flatly aligned with it.

You’ll find each discipline has a bunch of people knowing full well everything is messy and you’re bound to be surprised and unable to save all accidents, but for each of these people there’s a dozen technocrats thinking that rules are infaillible such that can’t be improved (or can be improved but you nevertheless can’t deviate from them), and that everything is perfectly safe.

Feynman’s report following Challenger had a good quote for that of course:

quote:

It appears that there are enormous differences of opinion as to the probability of a failure with loss of vehicle and of human life. The estimates range from roughly 1 in 100 to 1 in 100,000. The higher figures come from the working engineers, and the very low figures from management.
I’ve personally worked with enough software engineers to know that even if they tend to have more realistic failure rates in mind, the idea that failures derive from people making mistakes rather than being a fundamental property of complex systems that are often resulting from trade offs is very high.

Everywhere where one stops their investigation at having found human error is a place that tends to ignore systemic issues and simply stops once liability is properly contained.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

distortion park posted:

Agreed, making what is visually an industrial accident + fire into a gripping 5 part series without completely walking over the facts is pretty impressive.

Beeftweeter posted:

the series is also super good at ratcheting up a sort of existential horror

US industrial accidents didn't have, aside the degree of severity, svetlana alexievich running roughshod over them

the podcast covered one of the stories from Chernoby Prayer that they'd cut from the show, IIRC the one that opens with a father talking about trying to explain to his children about whether he'd fought "bad guys" as a soldier

tl;dr the units assigned to animal cleanup duty didn't get a whole ton of ammo. on one occasion they noticed a dog someone didn't quite shoot dead on the pile. as a routine matter, they buried it. under the other dogs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

namlosh posted:

glad she filmed finding a piece of the Chernobyl reactor fuel

quote:

I can count how many times I've visited Chernobyl on one hand, 7 times now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

counting in binary or sth?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lmao shes a mutant

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I was browsing Wikipedia reading about shipbourne nuclear power and it's wild. USS enterprise had 8 nuclear reactors! Soviet subs had two each! Reading the stats they are lower power than plants for power generation but still around 100MW electrical output. How come the military can put reactors in a sub when it costs mega billions to build one on land? Are they just a lot less safe or something?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

not an expert on naval reactors but I do know two things: the most expensive part of running a nuclear power plant is building it in the first place, so plants on land tended to be massive so that they could serve as wide a customer base as possible to get the most out of that upfront cost whereas naval reactors are built to fill much smaller and more predictable power needs; and naval reactors usually only run at a fraction of their full capacity since the boats are generally just toodling along most of the time, while a power plant is designed and expected to be running around 100% of capacity all of the time

don't know if that tells you anything wikipedia didn't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's because civilian nuclear power faces stiff opposition from the coal, oil and gas industry pushing entirely-fabricated talking points, while naval powerplants do not.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

distortion park posted:

I was browsing Wikipedia reading about shipbourne nuclear power and it's wild. USS enterprise had 8 nuclear reactors! Soviet subs had two each! Reading the stats they are lower power than plants for power generation but still around 100MW electrical output. How come the military can put reactors in a sub when it costs mega billions to build one on land? Are they just a lot less safe or something?

The US military is not well-known for being a low cost operation. If a technology gives them a significant strategic advantage, the US military will pay large amounts of money to obtain it. Almost certainly they are spending many times over on a $/Watt basis to build the nuclear reactors in subs and ships when compared to civilian nuclear power plants.

Unlike instruments of war, generating electricity is totally a cost problem. The cost of electricity is baked into almost everything in the modern economy. The reason why nuclear electricity isn't more popular is because it is more expensive than competing technologies, like electricity generated from wind, solar, & natural gas. Lazard levelized cost of electricity numbers put it at 4-5x those competing technologies in the US. Those numbers say that building NEW wind and solar is about the same cost as running an old nuclear power plant.

It is no wonder then why we don't hear more about nuclear power in the US. Why would you build a new nuclear power plant when instead you could generate 4-5x worth of wind, solar, and natural gas electricity at the same cost?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's the naval vs land based cost difference I'm interested in. Here's some numbers from wikipedia

About $3 billion for a S9G with a submarine thrown in for free, 210MW but that's total power out, electric equivalent would be less.

About $30 billion for an expansion to an existing land based plant, producing just over 2000MW electricity.

Like I'd have assumed that a smaller powerplant that has to operate with minimal maintenance for long periods at sea would be dramatically more expensive than a large scale extension to an existing plant per MW, but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least it isn't obvious from the rough numbers here). The point about subs not normally operating anywhere near their full capacity perhaps explains some of it though.

E: Interesting article here with better researched numbers: https://constructionphysics.substack.com/p/why-are-nuclear-power-construction-c3c

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 5, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

It's the naval vs land based cost difference I'm interested in. Here's some numbers from wikipedia

About $3 billion for a S9G with a submarine thrown in for free, 210MW but that's total power out, electric equivalent would be less.

About $30 billion for an expansion to an existing land based plant, producing just over 2000MW electricity.

Like I'd have assumed that a smaller powerplant that has to operate with minimal maintenance for long periods at sea would be dramatically more expensive than a large scale extension to an existing plant per MW, but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least it isn't obvious from the rough numbers here). The point about subs not normally operating anywhere near their full capacity perhaps explains some of it though.

E: Interesting article here with better researched numbers: https://constructionphysics.substack.com/p/why-are-nuclear-power-construction-c3c
I'm not familiar with that plant but $30 billion seems like really a lot even by NPP standards. The Ol3 reactor in Finland is 1.6Gw and around €11 billion and it's online now.

I was going to link that exact article, I think it touches on many things that marine reactors don't have to deal with.

Also being smaller and more standardized is a big advantage and something SMRs are supposed to leverage.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

naval nuclear reactors also tend to run on highly enriched uranium, which you don’t see in civil reactors on account of having weapons grade nuclear fuel in the civilian space being generally considered a Bad Idea

their refuelling process is also usually “take the old core with spent fuel out and put a new one in” instead of the more graceful refuelling processes that civil reactors have

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

there are a few civilian research reactors that use highly enriched uranium cores, for example (at least for a while), the ILL or HFIR. their goal is to get the highest neutron flux density though, so it’s pretty niche.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

how’s that thorium reactor going in china? any news?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

how’s that thorium reactor going in china? any news?

Hasn't exploded yet :shrug:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've heard it claimed that part of the reason why military reactors are "cheap" (with the scariest of quotes) is that production of them is an ongoing concern. There's actually a sort of series production, there are incremental improvements over design generations, there are multiple competing contractors, and so on. Civilian reactor construction in the US and Western Europe on the other hand essentially ended in the 1980's and has only recently restarted. A lot of institutional knowledge and production capability simply disappeared in the meantime, and it's been extremely expensive to try to start anew. If you look to other countries both the Russians and the South Koreans manage to build modern reactors generally on time and on budget. I've brought up the South Korean APR-1400 reactor as an example in a bunch of different threads; the UAE ordered a plant with four of these for approximately $25 billion in 2009. Three of the four are now delivering power to the grid and it's pretty consistently taken 9 years from construction start to commercial operation. The Russians have been building a ton of VVER's to replace old Chernobyl-style RBMK plants and there too it seems to be taking around ten years per reactor. This is all "boring" technology - plain old PWR's with better safety, nothing particularly new or exciting.

Speaking of the Russians and submarines, this report might make for some pretty interesting reading. If you thought Chernobyl was a demonstration of appalling safety culture, just wait until you realize just how many submarine reactors the Soviets have "lost" in one way or another.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think a big part of it is that they dont have to buy insurance.