Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Kes was a total menace out there, but he and Logano both drove hard like that at Penske and still do. I think everybody comes to expect it at this point, not that that makes it a good thing, by the way the 2 radio before the last restart was like, yeah the whole wreck started from ANOTHER bad push from the 6. Even though I think the 5 was more to blame on that one it was pretty clear Kes still has the stigma of a rough, bad pusher. On the plus side I put $1 bets on the 2, 6, 12, and 14 to win the 500 and it actually paid off with the 2 at +2800.

I don't think the car itself had a very good showing. Fenders were coming off like crazy during the wrecks, plenty of wheel issues, suspension that was breaking after being looked at wrong (compared to the old car) and apparently if you have flat tires you are basically out of the race because the car cannot be driven with flat tires. E: also the hood flaps that kept coming off during normal race conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think it's nice to have a Daytona 500 that ends with zero reservations in saying "that was a really good race." Bummed for Bubba but I've really grown to like Cindric a lot, so good for him.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Mike Joy did say they're not allowed to make ANY modifications to the wheels, I suspect all of the Penske cars did so what is this about

https://twitter.com/BubbaWallace/status/1495571161765326850

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it's nice to have a Daytona 500 that ends with zero reservations in saying "that was a really good race." Bummed for Bubba but I've really grown to like Cindric a lot, so good for him.

It was a much better race than the last two, for sure.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't think the car itself had a very good showing. Fenders were coming off like crazy during the wrecks, plenty of wheel issues, suspension that was breaking after being looked at wrong (compared to the old car) and apparently if you have flat tires you are basically out of the race because the car cannot be driven with flat tires. E: also the hood flaps that kept coming off during normal race conditions.

I think the flaps were really bad. If the hood flaps were ejected themselves going down the track, I don't expect them to hold any force when needed. And Burton rolling over, his flaps didn't hold the car to the ground. The roof flaps don't seem to work very well with the car going sideways.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think the diffuser is what caused Burton to flip. No way he should have gone airborne sideways like that if this was the old car.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I said from the start if you put a flat bottom on these cars they're going to blow over. It isn't rocket science.

I think you'll start seeing cars in the fence at intermediates this season.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right that's my thought. Any time a car went sideways it looked light and lifted the side up a little. They are going to need to make some adjustments I feel.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
gently caress cindric

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mactheknife posted:

gently caress cindric

Why?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

because he won instead of the guy i wanted to win, why else

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that's a good enough reason.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mactheknife posted:

because he won instead of the guy i wanted to win, why else

Totally fair

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Kinda wanted Kyle Busch to win, I get sentimental for these old fucks the older I get.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Sounds like something a douchebag would say.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mischief posted:

I said from the start if you put a flat bottom on these cars they're going to blow over. It isn't rocket science.

I think you'll start seeing cars in the fence at intermediates this season.

I don't think it's as bad as the wing (which NASCAR also swore didn't cause blowovers even though you could clearly see the rear decks flex as the cars were literally picked up by the wing and flung into the air every time one went backwards). Nobody else really got any noticeable air in any of the other wrecks during the 500 despite some getting turned sideways or backwards fairly abruptly, and Myatt Snider ended up in the catch fence during the Xfinity race easily enough without any help from a flat underbody.

I'd say a bigger concern is definitely the reliability of the wheels and the apparent weakness of the suspension components and inability of the car to drive at all with more than one tire flat. Some of it might be inexperience with the new chassis, though, I suppose, and the engineers and crews will probably get some of those things figured out eventually, but there's definitely gonna be a lot more folks completely out of the race after a no-contact spin because they popped the rear tires and couldn't drive back to the pits. That's something that they really ought to work on.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

camoseven posted:

Totally fair

blocking-to-the-wall-rear end little poo poo

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I feel like the Snider wreck was some old school poo poo, he got turned and had almost the length of the car backwards before it came up and over. He went rear bumper into the fence.

The Cup cars all looked like they lost all downforce once the diffuser was in any other orientation than straight in front to rear. The 21 went over almost parallel to the air, once the diffuser wasn't dumping that air it's a wing. There was no additional impact between the beginning of the wreck and upside down.

Reminds me of all the prototype issues in IMSA, etc. Smooth bottom go fast great, smooth bottom sideways go not good.

I'm not trying to say doomsday or anything, the 21 held up incredibly well considering, just something that you'd think some engineers or at least one lovely old crew chief would have pointed out.

The wheel situation is disconcerting and even with plate track brakes it didn't seem like they had much whoa in the equation. Look at the 24 in that same wreck, he was completely locked down through the infield and still buried it in the infield wall.

mactheknife posted:

blocking-to-the-wall-rear end little poo poo

That's racing. :v: I wanted Blaney to pull it off more than anyone but hey, guy in front of you dictates the race.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

i refuse to drop my biases, man can get hosed

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mischief posted:

The wheel situation is disconcerting and even with plate track brakes it didn't seem like they had much whoa in the equation. Look at the 24 in that same wreck, he was completely locked down through the infield and still buried it in the infield wall.

In fairness, once the tires are locked the brakes have done all they can do, and you're then at the mercy of inertia vs. friction. The asphalt's much better than grass, but drivers have been knocking down the inside wall there for ages even after most of the backstretch infield was paved. There's just no way to stop a 3400 lb car traveling at 190mph in that short a distance.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

dennyk posted:

I'd say a bigger concern is definitely the reliability of the wheels and the apparent weakness of the suspension components and inability of the car to drive at all with more than one tire flat. Some of it might be inexperience with the new chassis, though, I suppose, and the engineers and crews will probably get some of those things figured out eventually, but there's definitely gonna be a lot more folks completely out of the race after a no-contact spin because they popped the rear tires and couldn't drive back to the pits. That's something that they really ought to work on.
For sure. I'd say Harvick's crash was a great example of how weak they are. How many times with the old cars have we seen a car get out of shape, bang the left front into another car, get straightened out and be fine? Or at worst have the toe knocked out and need to have the fenders pulled on? Harvick's left front was turned hard right while the other wheel was straight. Or even Denny's wreck when the guys in the booth were like, oh Denny is probably actually fine and they showed it on TV and it looked like an '88 F150 it was crab walking so hard. What happens when they are at a high speed place like Bristol where contact is definitely a part of the racing? Or when they try to put these things on dirt? Does it just become a war of attrition? I feel like the changes being made for the new car were planned very far in advance but not fully thought out.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think blown tires completely stranding cars rules because attrition rules

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 22, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh cool now we can add NASCAR Cup cars to the group of racing cars susceptible to going all Mercedes at Le Mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21ZjwZGjiQ

the aerodynamic tl;dr is that anytime air gets under a fully flat bottom, it just picks it up and begins exponentially getting worse really quickly. I don't think it has as much to do with air going through a rear diffuser, just that much flat face is prone to getting picked up.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Has NASCAR made any follow up statement on the whole tire thing that Penske and RFK were up to?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Slickdrac posted:

Has NASCAR made any follow up statement on the whole tire thing that Penske and RFK were up to?

I don't think so but Roger did.

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1495822013381894147

Not that I believe him, but he did it before NASCAR.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dennyk posted:

I don't think it's as bad as the wing (which NASCAR also swore didn't cause blowovers even though you could clearly see the rear decks flex as the cars were literally picked up by the wing and flung into the air every time one went backwards). Nobody else really got any noticeable air in any of the other wrecks during the 500 despite some getting turned sideways or backwards fairly abruptly, and Myatt Snider ended up in the catch fence during the Xfinity race easily enough without any help from a flat underbody.

no one was "in the air" but you could see cars going sideways getting "light" their windward tires lifting up off the ground, suspension unloading etc. I would not be surprised to see cars in more open air / different speeds having a bigger issue with getting in the air.

Also yeah.. if you pop a tire you need a tow which means it's over, totally sucks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

all this discussion of terrible event-sponsor names and no mention of the 1-800-Pitshop.com 300? (2003, Fontana, xfinity series)

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

How about the trucks one: The Active Pest Control 200 benefiting Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Is this the last Fontana race before they turn it into a short track? I lost count because the pandemic has made time impossible to follow.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

They won't say one way or the other officially, but I'm pretty sure the Fontana short track project is canceled, especially after the Clash was well-received.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mearn posted:

They won't say one way or the other officially, but I'm pretty sure the Fontana short track project is canceled, especially after the Clash was well-received.

With the Clash doing well, wouldn't that be all the more reason to put in a decent, permanent, short track? I've actually heard the same thing about them at least putting the project on hold if not all but cancelling that. Maybe they want to see how the new car races there before demolishing everything?

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

couldn't they conceivably start racing at just about any short track? there's thousands of tracks they could go to, build up for increased capacity, and then not even have to tear them down when they're done.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Cars definitely seem harder to drive

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

chamois posted:

couldn't they conceivably start racing at just about any short track? there's thousands of tracks they could go to, build up for increased capacity, and then not even have to tear them down when they're done.

Rockingham has funding for a repave and is rumored to go back on the schedule someday. North Wilkesboro also has funding to restore it and might host a truck race in the future. So yeah they can go anywhere but the tracks need 40 pit stalls and stuff like that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of short track pit lanes are too narrow for green flag stops, some places when they raced Busch Series there didn't allow tire changes unless you had a flat, for example.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

tyler reddick can't buy a break good lord

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Steve O'Donnell told me that the next-gen car was a panacea and yet this is even more boring than a lot of races in the past several years interspersed with just plain stupid mishappenings that have made the third stage take about as long as the past 24 months

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chase Elliott sucks.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Chase Elliott sucks.

common Chevrolet strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

good race imo