Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TipTow posted:

I agree 100%. But there's a cadre of people that become apoplectic at the insinuation there aren't "good guys" in this crisis.

It's just "bad guys" and victims.

I don't think there's any good guys, but there is one distinct actor very much taking bad actions. And its not NATO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fair enough, thank you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Russia has been agressive in its neighbourhood since the Soviet Union dissolved. This time when Russia was totally peaceful until the West bribed a few too many former satellite countries, it's a complete propaganda myth.

Georgian Civil War (1991)
Abkhazia (1991)
Transnistria (1992)
North Ossetia (1992)
Chechnya (1994, 1999)
Dagestan (1999)
Georgia (2008)
Ukraine (2014)

Totally peaceful guys, the fact we're constantly messing with our neighbours and minorities is completely the fault of the West who cheated us with the evils of shock therapy capitalism in the 90s.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

orcane posted:

Why is that odd? How likely is it that these US jets will be used in (hidden? what?) attacks on Russia, the one country with enough nuclear weapons to rival the United States? How many times have the US used forces stationed in Europe to attack Russia? How is that even comparable :wtc:

I'm not concerned about them attacking Russia, I'm concerned about them entering Ukraine, either preventatively or in response to Russia entering Ukraine, which is something one might do with forces stationed in Poland.

CommieGIR posted:

So far the only troops in Poland is the 82nd Airborne and was brought in to help with evacuations (which Poland has largely opened the border for)

Fighter movements are likely to cover the ongoing airlift to get the 82nd in position. But worth note if the intention was to defend Ukraine they wouldn't start in Poland.

Hopefully! This is certainly what has been repeated by the administration even within the past hour. I would like to be able to believe it!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Flavahbeast posted:

but that means the innocent people are also bad

Everyone holding power.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TipTow posted:

If this was true, what was the point of expanding NATO? What did the U.S., France, the U.K., and Turkey gain from adding Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia? Surely they wouldn't need the extra help in fighting off Russia if that was was never going to happen anyway.

The last time the Baltics were independent prior to 1991 they were subsequently absorbed into the USSR after having been absorbed into the Russian Empire before that. Those countries have a very legitimate reason to want protection from Russia.

And you're misinterpreting what I said. I said that nothing would be an existential threat to RUSSIA. Not that RUSSIA wouldn't be an existential threat to its NEIGHBORS.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I'm inclined to say Afghanistan at least involved self defense, even if the end result was obviously horrifying.

You really shouldn't though. The Taliban offered to turn Bin Laden over. The entire war could have easily been avoided.

orcane posted:

Chechnya (1994, 1999)
Dagestan (1999)

You realize these are part of Russia, yeah?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Red and Black posted:

You really shouldn't though. The Taliban offered to turn Bin Laden over. The entire war could have easily been avoided.

You realize these are part of Russia, yeah?

What is it with you and these thought terminating cliches?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm not concerned about them attacking Russia, I'm concerned about them entering Ukraine, either preventatively or in response to Russia entering Ukraine, which is something one might do with forces stationed in Poland.

Hopefully! This is certainly what has been repeated by the administration even within the past hour. I would like to be able to believe it!
They said they're not going to do that. But also your timeline is completely off. The Russian invasion force buildup has been going on for weeks and months, the actual invasion in Donbas and the annexation of Crimea almost 8 years. You don't get to pull the "but that seems kind of threatening!!!" card if you've been doing your own invading, annexing and threatening for so long.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

OddObserver posted:

It's closer to 150,000, and it's close to 60% of active duty military. Obviously they can call up a few million conscripts, and ... party like it's 1914?

What he was saying is obvious for someone with like 50% comprehension of Ukrainian. Which is probably zero of CNN staff involved.

I would point at the official English statement, but it manages to make a mistake in the very next sentence.

Is there an article going into where these numbers come from? I've seen some discussion of these numbers before and not see much context for them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TipTow posted:

If this was true, what was the point of expanding NATO? What did the U.S., France, the U.K., and Turkey gain from adding Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia? Surely they wouldn't need the extra help in fighting off Russia if that was was never going to happen anyway.

it's actually an interesting question. War on the Rocks has a good retrospective on the Baltics and their path to NATO membership that makes the case that their entry was not something done casually or thoughtlessly. instead, the enlargement was something that was only agreed to after much internal debate and after the baltic states aggressively worked to demonstrate that they could "share the burden" and their democratic reforms wouldn't immediately collapse.

quote:

A recurrent criticism leveled against NATO’s decision to take on the Baltics is that it was done somewhat “casually” or even “emotionally” without judicious processes in place. Others have maintained that it was a feeling of collective historical guilt that drove the West to “rewrite the geopolitical landscape in favor of the Central and Eastern European countries.” While one can indeed find language of moral obligation steeped into speeches of U.S. officials, past tragedies were not the reason why these countries were let into NATO. Above all, they were judged by their ability to implement sound policy reforms and shoulder international military burdens. In short, this was a performance-based process. According to a senior Estonian diplomat, the Baltics quickly realized that the argument “you owe this to us” did not take them far. They learned that the West was “not Catholic but Lutheran. God helps those who help themselves and confession does not really make things better, but behaving differently does.”

The Baltics needed to reinvent themselves, and fast. The state of their armed forces was grim. A retired U.S. military officer noted that at first these nations were at “1 on a 1–10 scale of military capabilities.” Initially, the West had even refused to sell them arms; the United States only lifted the ban in 1994. In order to inject Western-style thinking and doctrine into their military forces, Estonia and Lithuania deliberately appointed retired U.S. Army colonels of Baltic descent to serve as commanders of their defense forces. The Baltics were also eager to send their troops on U.N. missions as well as contribute to costly NATO operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Estonia, for instance, participated in the Afghanistan mission without any national caveats, suffering one of the highest ratios of deaths-per-capita of any of the allied countries. Involvement in American-led interventions was seen as an effective way to edge closer to NATO membership.

Throughout the membership process, U.S. officials continuously monitored and assessed candidate states’ internal governance: health of democratic institutions, transition to market economies, treatment of minorities, and corruption laws. Heather Conley, who served as Deputy Assistant Secretary in the Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs, recalls visiting the region countless times in one year. She describes the process as highly intrusive, with U.S. officials trying to determine if these democracies are “worth a U.S. soldier’s life.” Defying the odds, the Baltics nurtured their democracies from the ashes in an impressively short time. A former U.S. ambassador to NATO, Kurt Volker, admits that these nations turned out to be “the best democratic and economic reformers, the ones most committed to build fresh new militaries, and the ones willing to support the U.S. in other fora.”

the piece also makes the point that, though russia lobbied hard against entry, its posture was nowhere near aggressive at the time as it is today:

quote:

Today, Russia assertively claims that NATO’s second wave enlargement violated its red lines. It is important to recall, however, that at the time Moscow reacted in a measured way, tempering its criticism vis-à-vis NATO enlargement. In 2001, during a radio interview with National Public Radio, when asked if he opposed the admission of the three Baltic Republics into NATO Russian President Vladimir Putin responded that the issue could not be summed up in “a yes or a no.” He later added that “we cannot forbid people to make certain choices if they want to increase the security of their nations in a particular way.” In another appearance, Putin declared that Baltic membership was “no tragedy” for Russia. These statements clearly were not a ringing endorsement. However, by historical standards, this was the least public resistance put up by the head of the Russian state. Alexander Vershbow, U.S. Ambassador to Moscow at a time of NATO enlargement, insists that he heard few complaints from the Russian side when the Baltics formally joined the alliance.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TipTow posted:

NATO always has been and still is an anti-Russian alliance. If it wasn't, why did those countries join in the aughts? What were they afraid of, Sweden?

Nato is a mutual defense union. If Russia invades one of its members, only then it will become an anti-Russian alliance. Otherwise Russia's actions are just what drives countries to seek safety within it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There was a misunderstanding in the previous thread that seems to be continuing in this one, and it would be for the best to nip it in the bud right now. One can oppose American arm shipments to Ukraine without believing that Putin is really good and should immediately invade Ukraine who would deserve it for being bad. To be honest, I think that should be obvious and it seems less like a misunderstanding and more like intentional disingenuousness on the people making the mistake. But I don't want to assume bad faith on the part of others so I will make a good faith attempt to clear up the issue.

Just speaking for myself, I don't think the US should arm extremist right wing military units that have been accused of war crimes. America has a bad history of doing that, and it tends to end pretty poorly. The Ukrainian military has at least one such unit, the Azov Battalion, within it's military. Therefore I believe that the US should not supply weapons to the Ukrainian military.

At the same time, I do not support Vladimir Putin. I am opposed to the idea of Russia invading Ukraine. I am opposed to invasions generally, and specifically in this case. If the areas of the Ukraine under contention have a significant population that wish to be part of Russia, then that should be settled peacefully, maybe with a plebiscite or something. But definitely not with an invasion.

But, I am not a Russian. The actions of the Russian military do not have any immediate bearing my life. I am an American citizen. The choices the US government makes do have an immediate bearing on my life. Right now, my government is choosing to spend American resources to send weapons to another country with the full knowledge that they will end up in the hands of nazi war criminals. I am completely opposed to that. And I hope that I am not the only American who feels that way.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

The last time the Baltics were independent prior to 1991 they were subsequently absorbed into the USSR after having been absorbed into the Russian Empire before that. Those countries have a very legitimate reason to want protection from Russia.

I agree!

HonorableTB posted:

And you're misinterpreting what I said. I said that nothing would be an existential threat to RUSSIA. Not that RUSSIA wouldn't be an existential threat to its NEIGHBORS.

No, I don't think I am. Certainly not trying to misrepresent what you said. It seemed like "Russia has nukes, they shouldn't have to worry about their neighbors." Is that right? If that logic is true, why did the U.S., the U.K., and France--which also all have nukes--feel the need to extend their security umbrella to cover the Baltics?

Joining NATO is a two-way street. I 100% understand why the Baltics wanted in, and believe them justified in that desire. I also know why the rest of NATO wanted them in, and it wasn't "democracy" or whatever. It's hegemony and a land border on Russia. That is not justified.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Shes Not Impressed posted:

What is it with you and these thought terminating cliches?

Interesting. What do you think a thought terminating cliche is?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The US is keeping their dick out.

They have no way to even slow down a force concentration of this magnitude without killing so many flagged Russian military that it'd trigger World War 3. And even if it didn't escalate that far, it'd nevertheless inevitably result in thousands of US are troops casualties that Biden most definitely doesn't want on him in the lead-up to the midterms.

On the contrary, they're bending over backwards to avoid an escalation chain.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1491914139505242113

Smartest words his decaying grey matter has articulated in the past 10 years.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gripweed posted:

There was a misunderstanding in the previous thread that seems to be continuing in this one, and it would be for the best to nip it in the bud right now. One can oppose American arm shipments to Ukraine without believing that Putin is really good and should immediately invade Ukraine who would deserve it for being bad. To be honest, I think that should be obvious and it seems less like a misunderstanding and more like intentional disingenuousness on the people making the mistake. But I don't want to assume bad faith on the part of others so I will make a good faith attempt to clear up the issue.

Just speaking for myself, I don't think the US should arm extremist right wing military units that have been accused of war crimes. America has a bad history of doing that, and it tends to end pretty poorly. The Ukrainian military has at least one such unit, the Azov Battalion, within it's military. Therefore I believe that the US should not supply weapons to the Ukrainian military.

At the same time, I do not support Vladimir Putin. I am opposed to the idea of Russia invading Ukraine. I am opposed to invasions generally, and specifically in this case. If the areas of the Ukraine under contention have a significant population that wish to be part of Russia, then that should be settled peacefully, maybe with a plebiscite or something. But definitely not with an invasion.

But, I am not a Russian. The actions of the Russian military do not have any immediate bearing my life. I am an American citizen. The choices the US government makes do have an immediate bearing on my life. Right now, my government is choosing to spend American resources to send weapons to another country with the full knowledge that they will end up in the hands of nazi war criminals. I am completely opposed to that. And I hope that I am not the only American who feels that way.

So you're against a Russian invasion, but you're also against actually doing anything about it?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Can someone give me a run down on what evidence there is that Russia even invaded the Donbass?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

QuoProQuid posted:

it's actually an interesting question. War on the Rocks has a good retrospective on the Baltics and their path to NATO membership that makes the case that their entry was not something done casually or thoughtlessly. instead, the enlargement was something that was only agreed to after much internal debate and after the baltic states aggressively worked to demonstrate that they could "share the burden" and their democratic reforms wouldn't immediately collapse.

the piece also makes the point that, though russia lobbied hard against entry, its posture was nowhere near aggressive at the time as it is today:

Not to mention that in 2000 Putin was on board with Russia straight up joining NATO. Now that's a missed opportunity for NATO. They should have accepted Russia before Baltics and this whole thing could be avoided.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TipTow posted:

I also know why the rest of NATO wanted them in, and it wasn't "democracy" or whatever. It's hegemony and a land border on Russia. That is not justified.

Well tell then what you know. What is this nefarious plan that Nato had desiring a land border with Russia? Give evidence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Conspiratiorist posted:

The US is keeping their dick out.

They have no way to even slow down a force concentration of this magnitude without killing so many flagged Russian military that it'd trigger World War 3. And even if it didn't escalate that far, it'd nevertheless inevitably result in thousands of US are troops casualties that Biden most definitely doesn't want on him in the lead-up to the midterms.

On the contrary, they're bending over backwards to avoid an escalation chain.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1491914139505242113

Smartest words his decaying grey matter has articulated in the past 10 years.

I don't understand how you can say we are avoiding escalation while we are actively arming one side. We are trying to keep our own troops out, sure, but that's different from avoiding escalation.

You can even say that it's good that we're arming one side, we should be giving Ukraine weapons with which they can defend themselves. But that is still not avoiding escalation.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TipTow posted:

I agree!

No, I don't think I am. Certainly not trying to misrepresent what you said. It seemed like "Russia has nukes, they shouldn't have to worry about their neighbors." Is that right? If that logic is true, why did the U.S., the U.K., and France--which also all have nukes--feel the need to extend their security umbrella to cover the Baltics?

Joining NATO is a two-way street. I 100% understand why the Baltics wanted in, and believe them justified in that desire. I also know why the rest of NATO wanted them in, and it wasn't "democracy" or whatever. It's hegemony and a land border on Russia. That is not justified.

Ahh I see. I admit, I don't understand the deeper reasons why the Baltics wanted in beyond "Russia refuses to let us be independent without the threat of significant force", so I will yield the second point on the grounds that I'm not qualified to debate that specific topic until I research it more.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Panzeh posted:

So you're against a Russian invasion, but you're also against actually doing anything about it?

Basically yeah. The idea that America has to always "do something" in response to bad things or potential bad things in other countries has been one of the most destructive urges in recent history.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Well tell then what you know. What is this nefarious plan that Nato had desiring a land border with Russia? Give evidence.

Would you like to actually discuss this and not post like a petty dick? Gripweed made a good point about there being a lot of nuance to what's going on right now and people misinterpreting positions and thoughts, intentionally or no.

And if you don't think there's a lot of nuance, then fine, nothing to discuss, go back to the EE chat thread. Y'all got what you wanted anyway, don't know why you're trying to start poo poo in the containment thread.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gripweed posted:

Basically yeah. The idea that America has to always "do something" in response to bad things or potential bad things in other countries has been one of the most destructive urges in recent history.

That's an interesting kind of opposition. It reminds me of a libertrarian saying 'i'm opposed to poverty, but doing anything about it would be tyranny'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Red and Black posted:

Can someone give me a run down on what evidence there is that Russia even invaded the Donbass?

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2015/11/13/136-brigade-in-donbass/

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2017/04/02/tankspotting-t-90as-donbass/

There's also the problem of the actual "Councils" for the areas. None of them involve the actual insurgents. Nearly every one is composed of Russian members. There's also the Wagner mercenary groups who are also composed of a lot of out-and-out Nazis.

Gripweed posted:

But other than evacuating and telling people to leave? Are we doing anything?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 14, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how you can say we are avoiding escalation while we are actively arming one side. We are trying to keep our own troops out, sure, but that's different from avoiding escalation.

You can even say that it's good that we're arming one side, we should be giving Ukraine weapons with which they can defend themselves. But that is still not avoiding escalation.

Escalation in this context means a direct confrontation between NATO and Russia.

NATO will nevertheless happily cheer for Ukraine, sell them weapons, provide token aid, offer juicy defense contracts to rebuild their military after its annihilated, and sound the war drums because they don't give a single poo poo about Ukrainians and are hoping Russia bleeds.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Red and Black posted:

Here's a good video from back in the day.
https://video.vice.com/alps/video/selfie-soldiers-russia-checks-into-ukraine/55ba5014018008e821c71e52

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Thank you

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Red and Black posted:

https://www.bellingcat.com/category/resources/case-studies/?fwp_tags=russia%2Cukraine

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Red and Black posted:

If you go down to the section on "Russian Involvement" there are a lot of sources cited that you can review.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

Escalation in this context means a direct confrontation between NATO and Russia.

NATO will nevertheless happily cheer for Ukraine, sell them weapons, provide token aid, offer juicy defense contracts to rebuild their military after its annihilated, and sound the war drums because they don't give a single poo poo about Ukrainians and are hoping Russia bleeds.

But again, remind me: who is invading?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

I think that's a naieve view of (at least) the U.S.' intentions. Security umbrellas aren't free, and I very seriously doubt that Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia would be significant contributors to the alliance should the time come.

Baltics are fulfilling their obligations, including 2% expenditure. Which cannot be said for the majority of NATO members.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Panzeh posted:

That's an interesting kind of opposition. It reminds me of a libertrarian saying 'i'm opposed to poverty, but doing anything about it would be tyranny'

OK. I know you're trying to make my position look bad by comparing it do a completely unrelated bad position, but you're not going to trick me into saying that yes actually the US should arm nazi war criminals in Ukraine.

CommieGIR posted:

But other than evacuating and telling people to leave? Are we doing anything?

Aren't we sending "lethal aid" to Ukraine?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

But again, remind me: who is invading?

Sinteres posted:

I'll admit that I've fallen short of this before, but at least under the current D&D guidelines my understanding is that we're meant to engage with each other's arguments, not what we imagine to be in their heads.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Red and Black posted:

This guy's the one who dragged Russia into the Donbass war, if you believe him: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/11/21/russias-igor-strelkov-i-am-responsible-for-war-in-eastern-ukraine-a41598

He's also been responsible for taking a lot of russian+belarusian citizens videos of armour movements from tiktok and posting them on twitter

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1491120509299347461
edit: almost definitely not actually him

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 14, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Baltics are fulfilling their obligations, including 2% expenditure. Which cannot be said for the majority of NATO members.

And how big are their government budgets? Even if they're fulfilling their treaty obligations (and I have no doubt they are), that still leaves me wondering: what could these countries meaningfully contribute to a hot war involving NATO? Each of the Baltic nations are smaller than the one (1) state I live in, which is ranked 28th out of the 50 in population. These countries are tiny and are not, nor ever will be, big contributors to NATO's military capabilities.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Panzeh posted:

I'm not sure how it's interesting. The vast majority of times the United States has made any kind of military intervention in the last 70 years, it's ended up making the world worse off for it. I think the only one I wouldn't feel comfortable arguing about is Bosnia. The idea that the US sticking its dick in Ukraine would actually make things go better for Ukraine and the rest of the world than not has to fight upstream against all of that history, and particularly, the horrifying last 20 years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gripweed posted:

OK. I know you're trying to make my position look bad by comparing it do a completely unrelated bad position, but you're not going to trick me into saying that yes actually the US should arm nazi war criminals in Ukraine.

Aren't we sending "lethal aid" to Ukraine?

Are you sure Azov specifically get American weapons? I am legitimately not sure if it's the case, considering there was a push the US State Department to designate Azov a foreign terrorist organisation. Would it be fine if America only gave weapons to be used by non-nazi military units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Are you sure Azov specifically get American weapons? I am legitimately not sure if it's the case, considering there was a push the US State Department to designate Azov a foreign terrorist organisation. Would it be fine if America only gave weapons to be used by non-nazi military units?

They did until 2018 when the Pentagon stopped succeeding in getting Congress to strip out a provision in aid to Ukraine that made is so Azov Battalion wouldn't get it. If that was something the US was officially willing to overlook until 2018, I don't think it's super implausible that something might still trickle down today, whether through less official channels or corruption on Ukraine's end, but I can't prove it.