Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
What made Zelensky do a 180 on downplaying the invasion's imminence? I'm sure this is just a reconciliation of his private and public positions but what prompted that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
All of the Russian bluster about NATO security concerns is a moot point because Russia, as a nuclear armed state with ICBMs and SLBMs, is not, and will not, find itself in a situation where they are facing an existential threat. They know this. America knows this. NATO knows this, and Ukraine knows it too. It makes every bit of crying about Ukrainian threats to Russian state security extremely cynical when everyone knows Ukraine is not, and literally could not be, the threat they are made out to be by Putin. It's naked realpolitik.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TipTow posted:

If this was true, what was the point of expanding NATO? What did the U.S., France, the U.K., and Turkey gain from adding Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia? Surely they wouldn't need the extra help in fighting off Russia if that was was never going to happen anyway.

The last time the Baltics were independent prior to 1991 they were subsequently absorbed into the USSR after having been absorbed into the Russian Empire before that. Those countries have a very legitimate reason to want protection from Russia.

And you're misinterpreting what I said. I said that nothing would be an existential threat to RUSSIA. Not that RUSSIA wouldn't be an existential threat to its NEIGHBORS.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TipTow posted:

I agree!

No, I don't think I am. Certainly not trying to misrepresent what you said. It seemed like "Russia has nukes, they shouldn't have to worry about their neighbors." Is that right? If that logic is true, why did the U.S., the U.K., and France--which also all have nukes--feel the need to extend their security umbrella to cover the Baltics?

Joining NATO is a two-way street. I 100% understand why the Baltics wanted in, and believe them justified in that desire. I also know why the rest of NATO wanted them in, and it wasn't "democracy" or whatever. It's hegemony and a land border on Russia. That is not justified.

Ahh I see. I admit, I don't understand the deeper reasons why the Baltics wanted in beyond "Russia refuses to let us be independent without the threat of significant force", so I will yield the second point on the grounds that I'm not qualified to debate that specific topic until I research it more.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Start killing minorities and/or selling the armaments on to the black market to various other groups to commit terror offenses?

Say the military aid ends up in the right hands all the time, even then there will be leakage into criminal areas and so on. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that contributing more armaments into an area may lead to more people using said armaments, even when adequate precautions have been taken.

Ukraine has a professional military that is more than capable of using received aid responsibly. They aren't loving ISIS

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

If that was the case, then why did it take until 2017 to change the policy? Russia wasn't any more aggressive in 2017 than it was in 2014-15. It seems more likely to me that Trump changed that policy because he wanted the U.S. MIC to make a lot of money by selling arms to Ukraine.

Trump was impeached over this when he tried to withhold the arms shipments in exchange for electoral help from Ukraine. In order to leverage something that could get him that dirt, the aid has to exist first. Besides, it wasn't very long after that when Ukraine changed its designation of the combatants to reflect their position that they were fighting the Russian military instead of insurgent internal forces

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1493704138131136516?s=20&t=t3wpXwpnkiH1foC8Y7P3pw

Ukraine brought up a bunch of armor to Kharkiv earlier today.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1493694446759723015?s=20&t=k1yI6CP6VSJxrnRufW15fQ

Ukrainian Security Service website is now down, Russia seems to be launching a cyberattack on Ukrainian networks as the stream I'm watching has all of the streams out of Ukraine going down but not the ones from Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHhv3y7JIe8

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 15, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia is currently in phase 1.5 of strategic modernisation of its military. After they suffered embarrassing failure during Russian invasion into Georgia, a 2011-2020 modernisation plan was developed. During that, they got waged wars in Ukraine and Syria, and incorporated those learnings into a Frankenstein 2018-2027 plan, which is going to be replaced in 2023 or 2024 with plan based on the difficulties theyve faced so far in their third campaign against Ukraine.

In other words, theyre continuously spending more than they normally would want to, and will likely ramp up spending in the future. Unless theres a serious trade war coming up between Russia and EU.

Thanks for this, I'm going to go look into these modernizations because I wasn't aware the Georgia invasion went badly from a military standpoint. I'll have to look more into that, I was under the impression it went well for RF

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

This is incorrect there is no current active invasion

There has been an active invasion for eight years.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
An ongoing occupation counts as an invasion, Crimea's annexation was illegitimate through force of arms and should be considered as such

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

Donbas is an insurrection. Ukraine's in a state of civil war, and has been for a while now.

Ah yes like how the little green men in Crimea also totally weren't Russian regulars out of uniform right

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

No it doesn't invasion refers to a very specific in the timeframe of a war. Occupation -- a : the act or process of taking possession of a place or area -- b : the holding and control of an area by a foreign military force -- c : the military force occupying a country or the policies carried out by it.

And the occupying military force would be called.....invaders!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Atlantic Council is a fairly influential NGO..I wouldn't call them a no-name Twitter random

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah, i was just taking the opportunity to make a joke at their expense

Ohhh sorry lol it went right by me

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hawaii is not covered under a NATO Article V invocation if it is attacked.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A major gas pipeline explosion that derails energy supply to central and western Europe would be a great false flag for invading, imo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Didn't Caro get captured by Assad's forces and held in a torture facility? Last I heard he's living out of his car now in San Francisco

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Would be interested to know more about this "destabilization campaign". Does that mean cyber attacks? SpecOps doing covert things like sabotage and such?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This thread lost its drat mind overnight

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's not concentration camps but it's not a secret that Russia repressed the LGBTQ population of Crimea heavily.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-russia-drove-crimeas-lgbt-community-underground

https://time.com/3482205/crimea-gay-community-flees-russian-homophobia/

Tortured for being gay: https://khpg.org/en/1536007330

https://en.hromadske.ua/posts/how-lgbt-people-are-treated-in-russia-occupied-territories

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

some plague rats posted:

No one is under the impression that Russia is good to LGBT people. Only a loving idiot would say that. But a bunch of gay bars closing down is a pretty far cry from the actual, literal concentration camps that steinrokken and despera were claiming they're running?

But it is indicative of how readily able that repression is. I'm not saying they're holocausting LGBTQ people, I'm saying that there is a definite and deliberate repression campaign that did not exist in Crimea under Ukrainian administration

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

some plague rats posted:

Okay but other people were so I'm not sure who you're arguing with?

I'm arguing that despite that one poster being blatantly exaggerative about camps for journalists and queer people etc, they are not entirely wrong about the treatment that LGBTQ people will be experiencing under Russian rule. I disagree with the hyperbole but the point I think they are trying to make is that if you're queer, you're hosed in the event of a Russian invasion and occupation

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Somaen posted:

Huh weird how posters generating outrage about Biden's concentration camps are suddenly policing the usage of the term unless the holocaust is happening. Real strange going ons in our cozy good faith debate thread

What does this have to do with the topic this thread is about? Nobody's talking about Biden or ICE and they aren't relevant to this discussion

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Despera posted:

It's lliterally a documentary where homosexuals are beaten and killed in the streets with video

It would have been great if someone had put what the video was at the time they linked it. Nobody's gonna click on a no context random YouTube link, come on.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
75% of Russia's conventional forces deployed against Ukraine

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-20-22-intl/h_a75912013e1a5572ef733fd4a7167d48

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
As one of the toxxers, I feel like this constitutes an invasion, right? We have Putin's orders, his speech, and admittedly unconfirmed videos of Russian troops in the border.

I leave it to the mod to make the final call, but I feel like it's pretty solid. I'm also okay with waiting for official confirmation

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its borderline. We're keeping watch. Nobody's toxx will get acted on unless we all agree its fulfilled.

Fair enough, happy to wait

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1495877460944203777?s=20&t=HHhb0vcFaEjb0SunyE9Z_A

Footage of Russian troops being bussed in to Donbas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb_3FT5DgEo&t=4s

The Buzzer stopped buzzing and transmitted a code for the first time I can ever remember hearing

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Still shocked at how unhinged Putin's speech was. When I hear a world leader yelling about states that don't have the right to exist, I usually expect it to be about Israel.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

This is ridiculous. Why are they now being ambiguous about this?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Also, shoutout to the (probably) P-3 that flew out of Sigonella Naval Air Station in Italy and is drawing penises because it knows so many people are checking the flight trackers

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Interfax News (Russian AP equivalent) reporting two columns of armored vehicles inside the DPR

https://www.interfax.ru/world/823559

Interfax posted:

Moscow. February 22. INTERFAX.RU - A large number of armored vehicles were seen on the territory of the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR).

As eyewitnesses told Interfax, two columns of armored vehicles are on the territory of the DPR and follow to the north and west of the republic.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1495896613386133512?s=20&t=uywEM0OjfoIzTIHgEYBOcQ

All US State Department personnel in Ukraine evacuated to Poland

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
For what it's worth as the toxx "winner" I am fine with donating to charity in lieu of banning. Taken all together I would have rather not been right on this as it means a world of horror for my friends in Ukraine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1496195210740744195?s=20&t=YyCIdtxom6LxFvSvoBpqyQ

Russia establishes diplomatic ties with DPR and LPR

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Trump could have just as easily launched a predator missile up an oligarch's rear end as he could have done nothing at all. He was extremely unstable as far as world leaders go. Remember when he assassinated the head of Quds Force? I'm sure Putin does, and while Trump wouldn't have attacked Russia, his response or lack of response can't be quantified by Russia and so the risk was much higher

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Riptor posted:

this post is dumb for a variety of reasons but you also realize that 'glass' is typically used in reference to nuking places in the desert right

You don't need desert to glass an area, technically. It just changes the mineral composition of what that glass is depending on the amount of silicates in the soil. You can definitely nuke a forest and it'll be glassed at the fireball location.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just nuke twice, first into desert and then into glass. Smdh, has either of you ever touched a video game.

I always liked causing desertification and climate change in Civilization IV by launching nukes everywhere

Edit for content: Fallout already happening as it concerns European energy production. Finland is looking to reassess the Rosatom-backed nuclear power project due to fears that it could contribute towards Russia's nuclear weapons production.

https://yle.fi/news/3-12329586

Yle posted:

Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said on Tuesday that she was in favour of conducting a new risk analysis of the Fennovoima nuclear power project in light of the escalating situation between Russia and Ukraine.

The project is partly owned by Russian companies, and experts have warned that it could contribute towards Russia's nuclear weapon production.

Minister of Economic Affairs Mika Lintilä had previously told Helsingin Sanomat that Finland's Ministry of Defence intends to conduct a new security assessment of the Pyhäjoki-based undertaking.

The project has still not been granted a construction permit.

MPs discussed the security situation in Europe on Tuesday afternoon, after Russia's recognition of two breakaway 'republics' in eastern Ukraine.

Marin opened the debate by echoing President Sauli Niinistö's previous comments, saying that Russia was openly breaking the Minsk Protocol which had affirmed the two territories as part of Ukraine.

The prime minister characterised the country's recognition of the independence of Donetsk and

Luhansk as a serious overstep, saying that Russia should return to the negotiation table as the situation could deteriorate quickly.

"We call on Russia to reverse its recognition, to end its military actions and to withdraw its troops from Ukraine, and to resume discussions within the framework of the Normandy format and the OSCE," she said at a press conference following the parliamentary meeting.

Marin asserted that Finland was standing firmly behind Ukraine's independence and its right to self-determination.

The EU announced plans to impose sanctions on Russia following its recognition of the two separatist regions on Tuesday. Additionally, Germany said it would halt the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project aimed at doubling the supply of Russian gas to Germany.

According to Marin, Russia is expected to counter these sanctions with its own. She stressed that any retaliation that Russia might take is no longer relevant.

"This is not key to the situation. The key is to show full support for Ukraine," the prime minister stated.

She also said that Finland plans to increase its support for Ukraine through financial and other means. The matter was reportedly discussed at a joint meeting of the President and the Ministerial Committee on Foreign and Security Policy on Tuesday morning.

Additionally, Marin revealed that she discussed the preparation of sanctions against Russia with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Monday.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 22, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Biden talking now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joRERZ_9-iU&hd=1

Nice quote: "Who in the world does Putin think gave him the authority to just create two new countries?"

Sanctions: Full blocking sanctions on VEB and their military bank, sanctions on Russia's sovereign debt, cut off from western financing, starting tomorrow and continuing onward sanctions on Russian elites and their family members will be levied, Nord Stream 2 will NOT move forward, we will continue providing defensive assistance to Ukraine. Biden authorized NATO troop deployments citing Belarus threat to defend NATO allies, strictly defensive and made sure to stress that these are defensive actions inside NATO only, with troops already in Europe

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

All the people yelling questions over each other at his back lol

I know it always happens and its their job but do they really expect him to turn around

Can't really blame them for trying, we just had 4 years of a president who sometimes WOULD just turn around and come back for an unprompted series of questions just because he liked having the attention