Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
In terms of reporting Danish Radio has been doing something interesting but weird. A journalist has been googling random business phone numbers in Ukraine and calling them.

They had an interview with someone with a horrific story about being trapped in a shelled building with the landline working but the only phone number she could remember was her teenage daughter’s who had managed to escape and she didn’t want to tell her what had happened.

Is this happening in other countries?

(The two times I’ve heard it one was someone who was a private English teacher and I think the other was a baker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Russia seems to have scraped through the bottom of the barrel and is now digging out the gritty, forgotten, compacted mass underneath.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1513892491031990279

What are those on the roof? The comment thread seems to say they're NLAW cases but it's not clear if they're used or not.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What AA weaponry is ideal to shoot down bayraktars or even smaller commercial drones for scouting? Presumably missiles would be a waste as they cost more than the drone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The French election isn’t the only election. It’s questionable how much people will vote based on Ukraine versus their own economic and social well-being. Even in the UK where we don’t use much Russian gas we’re seeing devastatingly high energy prices.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Pretty much every where has fixed contracts available. The difficulty is when prices jump at the end of the contract.

For the countries not seeing price rises (like France) it’s often just the state picking up the tab.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Less tab to pick up when 70% of french energy is nuclear

They’re connected to the European grid so changes in supply/demand affect them as well.* Currently EDF is picking up the 8.4 billion euro tab but there will be a breaking point.

*Well unless you want them to stop exporting energy, and the UK could do the same with gas, but I’m unconvinced an energy trade war in Europe would be helpful right now.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The UK, like Norway, produces enough gas for internal consumption and also exports it to the continent. Because of the wonderful hand of the free market, domestic suppliers pay the external export market price, despite it being a key national resource. The gas extraction companies have of course made a killing, with sales price multiplying upwards and production costs remaining fixed. The UK is only effected by gas prices as much as it wants to be.

The UK cutting off gas exports to Europe would not be a beneficial move.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2022

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Not if you have district heating, like a lot of urban centres here in Sweden. I get my heating through hot water from a central furnace in the city, and the cost is a charge that everyone in our apartment building share. It's dirt cheap and very efficient compared to heating individual buildings. As long as we have trash to burn we're free from Putin's terror.

It’s the same in Copenhagen (we burn waste which is keeping fuel costs down right now) but we still have individual metering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Fun fact. The reason why Great Britain is great is that Ireland, the smaller of the two major British isles, used to be referred to as Little Britain. Suffice to say, calling an Irish person a Little Brit wouldn't fly today. Ironically, Wales is now called Little Britain in Irish.

I would like to say this post is mostly nonsense.